Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Just now, Zeek said:

I agree! I just want someone who can develop a damn quarterback lol.

Baby Briles is it. If there is ANYONE who has the potential to be the next Lincoln Riley it is him. It could end up working horribly because he is a 35 year old coach who has never been a Head Coach and has only called plays for 2 seasons. BUT it also could end up working amazingly with whoever hires him as their Head Coach. It is a risk but he is a lot better option than some of these MEH candidates I see.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Baby Briles is it. If there is ANYONE who has the potential to be the next Lincoln Riley it is him. It could end up working horribly because he is a 35 year old coach who has never been a Head Coach and has only called plays for 2 seasons. BUT it also could end up working amazingly with whoever hires him as their Head Coach. It is a risk but he is a lot better option than some of these MEH candidates I see.

See I’ll be Donald Trump on this scenario. You give me the list and we’ll narrow it down. The key to the next hire is being realistic with our current situation.

I know people want a big name but after the payoff, and still needing to build a Football-Only-Facility (FOF), we're going to need a cheaper option. So that means an up-and-comer.

Someone who can develop a quarterback is critical in today’s age. If they can’t then they have to get an OC who can. So that’s a major qualifier for me.

Looking at our situation I firmly believe that we need a cheaper but promising option who’s a stellar recruiter. I’d love to keep Steele if at all possible.

1. Give the new coach a very cheap, one year, contract that’s absolutely loaded with incentives. So if it’s a $1.5 million contract then have incentives that can triple the pay (high standards to reach them though). Bowl game +200k SEC Championship +1 million, National Championship +2 million (obviously I’m spitballing).

2. If they manage 9+ wins then give them a 2 year deal. Again, nothing you’re afraid to buy out one day later. Also again, loaded with incentives.

3. Then, if they’ve shown they can maintain our expectations (9+ wins for 3 straight years) they get a 5 year contract looking similar to Gus’ but lower base salary and big incentives.

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Major Applewhite

Only team in college football scoring 40 points every game this year.

Born in Louisiana

Solid quarterback at Texas where he set 8 records for them (3 of which still stand).

Coaching stops at Texas, Syracuse, Rice, Alabama, and now Houston. So his coaching tree includes Mack Brown, Todd Graham, Nick Saban, and Tom Herman

Not a long career as a head coach but he could be another good cheap option.

Look at who his OC is.  That's why they're scoring 40+.

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

See I’ll be Donald Trump on this scenario. You give me the list and we’ll narrow it down. The key to the next hire is being realistic with our current situation.

I know people want a big name but after the payoff, and still needing to build a Football-Only-Facility (FOF), we're going to need a cheaper option. So that means an up-and-comer.

Someone who can develop a quarterback is critical in today’s age. If they can’t then they have to get an OC who can. So that’s a major qualifier for me.

Looking at our situation I firmly believe that we need a cheaper but promising option who’s a stellar recruiter. I’d love to keep Steele if at all possible.

1. Give the new coach a very cheap, one year, contract that’s absolutely loaded with incentives. So if it’s a $1.5 million contract then have incentives that can triple the pay (high standards to reach them though). Bowl game +200k SEC Championship +1 million, National Championship +2 million (obviously I’m spitballing).

2. If they manage 9+ wins then give them a 2 year deal. Again, nothing you’re afraid to buy out one day later. Also again, loaded with incentives.

3. Then, if they’ve shown they can maintain our expectations (9+ wins for 3 straight years) they get a 5 year contract looking similar to Gus’ but lower base salary and big incentives.

No coach, repeat, no coach is coming here signing a one year contract.  

18 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Shane Beamer

Jeff Scott

Brandon Streeter

Josh Heupel

Kendall Briles

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Shane Beamer

Jeff Scott

Brandon Streeter

Josh Heupel

Kendall Briles

Kendall Briles come on down! 

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Kendall Briles come on down! 

From that list he has the least pedigree and least coaching experience.  I'd pick one of the other 4 first.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Brandon Streeter looks to be a well qualified candidate.   I like his pedigree.  

If Aranda doesn’t want it, my next call would be to Streeter

I’m still very high on Aranda. Sadly, I don’t know if he wants to be an HC, but I at least try to get him to listen.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Brandon Streeter looks to be a well qualified candidate.   I like his pedigree.  

If Aranda doesn’t want it, my next call would be to Streeter

Aranda is too stoic and emotionless to me. He seems to be the Forever coordinator type of guy. I want a guy who is fiery and passionate for our next Head Coach. I have never seen Aranda change his expression once any college football saturday. 

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m still very high on Aranda. Sadly, I don’t know if he wants to be an HC, but I at least try to get him to listen.

If I were selecting a defensive coach, he would be #1 on my call list.

I kind of think he was hoping O would flame out and he could just slide into the LSU HC job.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I kind of think he was hoping O would flame out and he could just slide into the LSU HC job.

Lol, Well I like Aranda because, for one, he sees the importance of letting coordinators coach. 

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Aranda is to stoic and emotionless to me. He seems to be the Forever coordinator type of guy. I want a guy who is fiery and passionate for our next Head Coach. I have never seen Aranda change his expression once any college football saturday. 

I’ve seen him fiery several times, second, he reminds me of this guy. 

78A252ED-D7D5-488B-A95C-DAF002F17E6E.jpeg

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Aranda is too stoic and emotionless to me. He seems to be the Forever coordinator type of guy. I want a guy who is fiery and passionate for our next Head Coach. I have never seen Aranda change his expression once any college football saturday. 

I'll take a laconic face over Gus's I'm pooping my pants face.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

I’ve seen him fiery several times, second, he reminds me of this guy. 

78A252ED-D7D5-488B-A95C-DAF002F17E6E.jpeg

SOOOOO he looks like a villain in a James Bond movie?! lol. Interesting requirements you have for the job fam!

Just now, MaxP said:

I'll take a laconic face over Gus's I'm pooping my pants face.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG. ANY option is better than Gus at this point. Give me Rush Propst over Gus if we are going to get another High School coach! lol

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

SOOOOO he looks like a villain in a James Bond movie?! lol. Interesting requirements you have for the job fam!

He looks like the great Robbie lawler. The greatest not give a f fighter in ufc history. Lol

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

From that list he has the least pedigree and least coaching experience.  I'd pick one of the other 4 first.

Briles has pedigree..... Applewhite, Kiffin.... has that sexual exploitation of cooed s pedigree lol.

Given what happened with softball, I really am just wary of that stuff.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think he has the most upside though out of those candidates you mentioned but his floor is def lower. 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Lol, Well I like Aranda because, for one, he sees the importance of letting coordinators coach. 

I suggested him after Boom left to be our DC. 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I suggested him after Boom left to be our DC. 

Where would he rank on your HC wish list?

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Aranda with K Briles as our OC? Lol

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think he has the most upside though out of those candidates you mentioned but his floor is def lower. 

I think, based on pedigree/tree, Beamer blows everyone else on that list out of the water...next would be Heupel, who has UCF 7-0 and ranked 9th.

HC experience might push him to the top of the list.

16 minutes ago, CR said:

Where would he rank on your HC wish list?

If I went defensive minded HC, he'd be #1 or 2. Joe Whitt Jr. would be the other.

Archived