Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think, based on pedigree/tree, Beamer blows everyone else on that list out of the water...next would be Heupel, who has UCF 7-0 and ranked 9th.

Heupel just scares me because of Mackenzie Milton and having a really talented team in place. I want to see how he does without him specifically because IMO he is the most valuable player to any 1 team in the country. I remember when Oklahoma fans wanted him to be run out of town year after year when he was their OC so that def is stuck in my head firmly. Has beamer ever been a serious candidate to take over anywhere as a Head Coach? Genuinely asking. I dunno. I know the least about him out of anyone on your list.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Kind of in jest, but he'd be fun to watch.

Image result for mike singletary eyes

hahahha I mean if Herm Edwards can get a College Head Coaching Job then why not crazy fiery passionate Mike?! It would never not be entertaining. What the heck has that guy been up to since he was canned as Head Coach of the Niners?

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Heupel just scares me because of Mackenzie Milton and having a really talented team in place. I want to see how he does without him specifically because IMO he is the most valuable player to any 1 team in the country. I remember when Oklahoma fans wanted him to be run out of town year after year when he was their OC so that def is stuck in my head firmly. Has beamer ever been a serious candidate to take over anywhere as a Head Coach? Genuinely asking. I dunno. I know the least out of him on your list.

From what I remember, that stint at OU was more about friction with Jay Norvell then ability. 

As far as being a serious candidate? I'm not sure.

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Aranda with K Briles as our OC? Lol

Seriously, that would be VERY fun to watch...

...and VERY scary to face.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Appreciate the links fam!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Appreciate the links fam!

Honestly let me know what you think after reading up on him.

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Honestly let me know what you think after reading up on him.

Def a lot more impressed than before. Obviously I knew who his pops was and who he was. Just curious as to why he had never been a coordinator and called plays yet because he is a guy who is always coveted.

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Seriously, that would be VERY fun to watch...

...and VERY scary to face.

I’d imagine two younger guys like that would be fun as all get out and even better on the recruiting trail. Could probably get both of them for what we’re paying Gus.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Aranda with K Briles as our OC? Lol

Now, wait a minute! I already mentioned this earlier in this thread somewhere! I need to copyright my whack ideas 😜!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

If I went defensive minded HC, he'd be #1 or 2. Joe Whitt Jr. would be the other.

Why the love for Joe? He is a great defensive back coach but it seems that is where it stops. He has never even been a coordinator at any level. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Why the love for Joe? He is a great defensive back coach but it seems that is where it stops. He has never even been a coordinator at any level. 

JMO, I guess.  I loved Dom Capers defensive schemes. He always was always very multiple (3-4, 4-3, 3-3, 2-5, 50, Eagle) and loved to zone blitz.  JWj spent 9 years as one if his assistants and was a candidate to replace him as DC when Capers was fired.  The Green Bay secondary, as injury plagued as it's been, has always been good and JWj is consistently churning out good young DBs.  I think he has the pedigree, as well as the OJT at the highest level. In coaching, you don't remain at a job if you aren't productive.

He also worked under Bobby Petrino(the good version) and Mike Zimmer.

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Baby Briles is it. If there is ANYONE who has the potential to be the next Lincoln Riley it is him. It could end up working horribly because he is a 35 year old coach who has never been a Head Coach and has only called plays for 2 seasons. BUT it also could end up working amazingly with whoever hires him as their Head Coach. It is a risk but he is a lot better option than some of these MEH candidates I see.

This his 4th year as OC 

1 hour ago, Texas said:

This his 4th year as OC 

Good stuff tex! Judging by where your location is I am guessing you know Kendal Briles well.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Heupel just scares me because of Mackenzie Milton and having a really talented team in place. I want to see how he does without him specifically because IMO he is the most valuable player to any 1 team in the country. I remember when Oklahoma fans wanted him to be run out of town year after year when he was their OC so that def is stuck in my head firmly. Has beamer ever been a serious candidate to take over anywhere as a Head Coach? Genuinely asking. I dunno. I know the least about him out of anyone on your list.

That was more them getting after Stoops also. They had QB injuries that impacted the offense and some friction with Norvell it appears from Birds knowledge.. If you look though, their defense was worse than their offense and it came down to either Heupel/Norvell or Brother Stoops.

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Good stuff tex! Judging by where your location is I am guessing you know Kendal Briles well.

He's the hottest OC in the country right now just in my humble opinion.Look at his offense stats W/L total offense YPG  ppg the last 4 yrs. 2014 and 2015 Baylor #1 total offense in NCAA- 615 ypg and 48 ppg in 2015. look at FAU's record last yr compared to this year. FAU top ten total offense 2017 under KB. Look at U of H offense last year compared to his arrival this year. U of H #1 in total offense right now just passed bama. 570 ypg  and 50 ppg

sorry for any mistakes I'm typing from my cell phone 

5 minutes ago, Texas said:

He's the hottest OC in the country right now just in my humble opinion.Look at his offense stats W/L total offense YPG  ppg the last 4 yrs. 2014 and 2015 Baylor #1 total offense in NCAA- 615 ypg and 48 ppg in 2015. look at FAU's record last yr compared to this year. FAU top ten total offense 2017 under KB. Look at U of H offense last year compared to his arrival this year. U of H #1 in total offense right now just passed bama. 570 ypg  and 50 ppg

hahahaha hey you do not need to sell me! I am fully on board with the Baby Briles train!!!

On 10/29/2018 at 1:34 AM, AUght2win said:

Someone will but I agree we shouldn't. Chip Kelly, although not nearly as bad in terms of NCAA mess, had no problem hopping right back in the saddle. Same for us and Bruce Pearl.

I'm going to strongly object to the bolded sentence.  What Bruce Pearl did was make what would have amounted to minor infractions into majors ones by lying about them.  The underlying rules that were broken were minor (Like the cookout at his house) I just don't see including Pearl here as appropriate.  Not really similar.

3 hours ago, Texas said:

He was Gus' #1. Things we're moving forward and almost done when JJ balked and told Gus that it wasn't happening.  Gus then went out and hired Chip.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He was Gus' #1. Things we're moving forward and almost done when JJ balked and told Gus that it wasn't happening.  Gus then went out and hired Chip.

Hypothetically speaking; if Gus is retained next year do you think the administration will allow Gus to hire Briles?  And more importantly; do you think Brile would take the job know how tenuous the situation might be?

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Hypothetically speaking; if Gus is retained next year do you think the administration will allow Gus to hire Briles?  And more importantly; do you think Brile would take the job know how tenuous the situation might be?

Besides Greene, everyone else is in a pretty tenuous seat.  I'm not sure they would want to risk any more.  As far as baby Briles wanting it?  I think he could be persuaded by Gus and Art.

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thank you for the info. I didn't realize that's what stopped it from happening.

Just now, Texas said:

Thank you for the info. I didn't realize that's what stopped it from happening.

He should've been hired...JJ had a chance to allow a program defining hire and choked.  Ever wonder why Stidham signed with us? He was told KB was going to be his OC again.   When JJ balked, Gus had to fly to Waco and have a sit down with JS. Art and KB were there to help smooth things over with JS.

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Besides Greene, everyone else is in a pretty tenuous seat.  I'm not sure they would want to risk any more.  As far as baby Briles wanting it?  I think he could be persuaded by Gus and Art.

I would not wish being shackled and handcuffed on Baby Briles and have it derail his career like that. Because it absolutely would if he were to work under Gus. Defensive Coordinator under Gus? GREAT! Do your thing. DO whatever you want. Gus is hands off. Offensive side of the ball? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. Enough said.

Archived