Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

On 10/28/2018 at 5:24 PM, PoetTiger said:

I saw snippets and I was thinking the same thing...he was nearly annoited the next AU head coach after his OSU upset. 

Don't take much for this crowd. Sad.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of you really think there is a chance of getting KB as our next OC providing Gus lets Chip go? I think Gus wants to be here good bad pretty or ugly. I do think AD Greene would give Gus the ok to hire Kendall. You know good and well that the bammers will scream to high heaven if we hire KB. AD Greene needs to bow his neck and not let the foul cries move him in a bad direction.

I do think that KB would have some ground rules and that Gus would have to let him run the offense and have Gus to be the CEO much like Dabo and Nicky to a lesser degree. I think between Dabo and Saban, Dabo fits the role of a true HC/CEO than Saban. I think Saban lets his offensive coaches do their thing, but is more hands on with his defensive coaches.

As potent as the turds offense is, I think Saban leaves his O coaches alone. Gus should go spend some time with Dabo to learn how to be a CEO. We all know that will never happen in this life time or the next as far as that goes!

43 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Do any of you really think there is a chance of getting KB as our next OC providing Gus lets Chip go? I think Gus wants to be here good bad pretty or ugly. I do think AD Greene would give Gus the ok to hire Kendall. You know good and well that the bammers will scream to high heaven if we hire KB. AD Greene needs to bow his neck and not let the foul cries move him in a bad direction.

I do think that KB would have some ground rules and that Gus would have to let him run the offense and have Gus to be the CEO much like Dabo and Nicky to a lesser degree. I think between Dabo and Saban, Dabo fits the role of a true HC/CEO than Saban. I think Saban lets his offensive coaches do their thing, but is more hands on with his defensive coaches.

As potent as the turds offense is, I think Saban leaves his O coaches alone. Gus should go spend some time with Dabo to learn how to be a CEO. We all know that will never happen in this life time or the next as far as that goes!

doc, I come in peace. But the idea that Gus will EVER give up control of his offense is just not realistic. It's just not in his DNA. And I would say Chip is more than ready to be seperated from Gus. His career has not benefited from coming here.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:25 PM, AUght2win said:

The more I see Mike Gundy, the more I absolutely love the guy. I think he would be perfect at Auburn. He loves his players. He thrives as a second fiddle in his own state. He wins huge games. He has 9+ wins in 8 of last 10 seasons. Throw the bank at the guy. He and that offense would be fun for sure. And he has a Pat Dye like fighter's attitude that would fit in well with our program. 

Well he is at odd's with Pickens and Holder. Holder is all over him right now for not recruiting better. Plus he is like 2-11 or something vs. OU.

Sister is a OSU grad and I love Gundy. But if he is having issues recruiting and beating rivals. Auburn will chew him up and spit him out very quickly.

11 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Well he is at odd's with Pickens and Holder. Holder is all over him right now for not recruiting better. Plus he is like 2-11 or something vs. OU.

Sister is a OSU grad and I love Gundy. But if he is having issues recruiting and beating rivals. Auburn will chew him up and spit him out very quickly.

How do you recruit in Stillwater, Oklahoma though? It's a miracle that Gundy has done what he's done.

53 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

How do you recruit in Stillwater, Oklahoma though? It's a miracle that Gundy has done what he's done.

The same you recruit to Lorman or wherever OU is....

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Norman isn't that hard to recruit to.  It's only about 15-20 minutes to a pretty decent sized city (OKC).

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

What do you think AUBURN is?  OSU is actually a nice campus 

I’m not sure Gundy is any better that Gus.  Dude doesn’t win when it counts and loses a game or two he shouldn’t.  Might as well brin Tubs back.

The SEC blocked Freeze from Saban last year so I’m not sure why they’d let Gus hire him this year.  He got caught cheating at Ole Miss and banging call girls.  Don’t need that at Auburn.

I liked Chad Morris when things got toasty after 2015.  

Bill Clark to me is the first person I call.  He’s like buying Apple in the early 80s

Justin Fuentes at Va Tech is my 2nd call.

Matt Campbell is my 3rd but he teeters on being a trendy pick and you’ll have to outbid some other schools.

13 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’m not sure Gundy is any better that Gus.  Dude doesn’t win when it counts and loses a game or two he shouldn’t.  Might as well brin Tubs back.

The SEC blocked Freeze from Saban last year so I’m not sure why they’d let Gus hire him this year.  He got caught cheating at Ole Miss and banging call girls.  Don’t need that at Auburn.

Bill Clark to me is the first person I call.  He’s like buying Apple in the early 80s

Matt Campbell is my 3rd but he teeters on being a trendy pick and you’ll have to outbid some other schools.

Yes. Quality coach at a blue light special price compared to others. 

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Hi Alex, I'll take things I don't care about for $1000.

Seriously, if someone wants to bang call girls, more power to you.

If he is replaced I hope they go after a proven coach who has won consistently at the highest level. Or find someone who may not have been a proven HC, but has great leadership and organizational skills. Someone who has the ability to lead and motivate a staff and players to believe in his vision (like Dabo) ....If you gonna pony up 32 million to send someone away then u gotta have a swing for the fences approach for a replacement. In addition you need to have a great plan of what u want in the program, how you want it to look, and who can effectively execute that plan. Just don’t fire Gus to say hooray he is gone, and go bungle it up, like UT and Florida did...

23 minutes ago, selias said:

If Auburn was an NFL team then you’re right but you’re talking about a man that has to walk into high school kids homes and convince the parents he is the man that will help mold their sons into outstanding young men.  That’s not to mention getting Ole Miss put on probation for paying players and being blocked from potential other jobs by the league.  Not the guy for Auburn in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

What do you think AUBURN is?  OSU is actually a nice campus 

Auburn is one of the nicest small towns in America, nestled in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. Stillwater is neither of those. Now throw in the fact they have to play second fiddle to an in state blueblood. 

If he can win consistently there, imagine what he could do at Auburn. 

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Oklahoma recruits nationally because they are a blueblood. OSU can't. State probably pulls most guys from Texas, being the 4th or 5th pick for high school kids in the lonestar state. I imagine it's very difficult.

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Auburn is one of the nicest small towns in America, nestled in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. Stillwater is neither of those. Now throw in the fact they have to play second fiddle to an in state blueblood. 

If he can win consistently there, imagine what he could do at Auburn. 

Then you have not been to Stillwater.    And far as recruiting, Texas , especially north Texas, pumps out more D 1 signees than anywhere, except possibly California 

1 hour ago, selias said:

But he ordered them with the company phone didn't he?  I'm guessing that was part of his NCAA issues...

21 hours ago, CR said:

doc, I come in peace. But the idea that Gus will EVER give up control of his offense is just not realistic. It's just not in his DNA. And I would say Chip is more than ready to be seperated from Gus. His career has not benefited from coming here.

In all honesty I believe what you are saying. I think Gus knows what he should do to be the best coach he can be, but like you say, it is not in his DNA. I think when it is all said and done with likely a 6-6 season, we part ways with Gus. Making a quality hire is imperative for us. I want Jeff Brohm as our next coach with Kendall Briles as his OC. Or Major Applewhite with Kendall as his OC. Major has been tearing it up at Houston, and is an excellent HC. There are some coordinators that I like as HCs. Dave Aranda or Brent Venables. There are some other HCs that I like such as Matt Campbell from Iowa state & Lane KIffin. Time will tell this story no doubt. Anything less than 7-5 will get Gus fired imho. Another coach who you do not hear much about is John Grass at Jacksonville State. His record their is 47-9. His team came close to beating us in 2015 I think in a game that we won in overtime. He and Bill Clark are the same age of which is 50.

13 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Then you have not been to Stillwater.    And far as recruiting, Texas , especially north Texas, pumps out more D 1 signees than anywhere, except possibly California 

Yeah-no. Not even worth entertaining the argument that recruiting at Oklahoma State is no tougher than recruiting at Auburn. It is WAY easier to recruit at Auburn than a place like OSU.

I would think that Auburn is a better place with having Atlanta in close range and having recruits from Georgia and Florida close by. Stillwater reminds me a lot of Starkville. As far as Gundy as our new HC, I would have him down the list behind Jeff Brohm, Major Applewhite, and possibly Lane Kiffin. I have been watching Houston this season, and their offense is nothing short of spectacular imho. I would not have a problem with having Kendall Briles as our HC. You can bet the farm that the bammers would have a nervous breakdown if we hire Kendall Briles as our next HC. He has baggage, but I think he has gotten his life in a better situation and could be an excellent coach. Shane Beamer is someone worth looking into.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Jeff Brohm is one of my top choices. Major Applewhite & Kendall Briles. I like Dave Aranda & Brent Venables. Bill Clark is a good choice of which I agree with. Brohm has NFL experience and is an excellent offensive coach.

42 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yeah-no. Not even worth entertaining the argument that recruiting at Oklahoma State is no tougher than recruiting at Auburn. It is WAY easier to recruit at Auburn than a place like OSU.

He has had many talented players especially on offense. The issue is when will he decide to focus on his defense like he does his offense...IMO I don’t think what he does in the BIG 12 will work in the SEC. 

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

If Auburn was an NFL team then you’re right but you’re talking about a man that has to walk into high school kids homes and convince the parents he is the man that will help mold their sons into outstanding young men.  That’s not to mention getting Ole Miss put on probation for paying players and being blocked from potential other jobs by the league.  Not the guy for Auburn in my opinion.  

I just don't assign a stigma to visiting call girls. 2 consenting adults participating in an activity that hurts nobody.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

But he ordered them with the company phone didn't he?  I'm guessing that was part of his NCAA issues...

Ok, that would be a problem. Order up hookers with your own phone :)

Archived