Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

When I see that you have to go to 61st on that list to find a guy making less than $2 million/year....WTH? Man, our society is warped. And, any argument that the players shouldn’t be paid... I ain’t buying it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, fredst said:

When I see that you have to go to 61st on that list to find a guy making less than $2 million/year....WTH? Man, our society is warped. And, any argument that the players shouldn’t be paid... I ain’t buying it.

But the players get free meals and sweatshirts bro

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

But the players get free meals and sweatshirts bro

I ran a 5k for the opportunity to buy a t shirt. 

TBH I really think we need a cold hearted killer on the recruiting trail. Kirby and Saban are both ruthless and if we want to keep up we can't hire a guy who's scared of stepping on toes on the recruiting trail or scared of blowing a team out. This may rock the boat for some AU fans that weirdly prefer the warm and fuzzy in the violent world of football but if we realistically want to stay on par with the main programs we compete with and judge ourselves against we have to hire a guy who is a real go-getter.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

TBH I really think we need a cold hearted killer on the recruiting trail. Kirby and Saban are both ruthless and if we want to keep up we can't hire a guy who's scared of stepping on toes on the recruiting trail or scared of blowing a team out. This may rock the boat for some AU fans that weirdly prefer the warm and fuzzy in the violent world of football but if we realistically want to stay on par with the main programs we compete with and judge ourselves against we have to hire a guy who is a real go-getter.

I'm afraid until Emmert and/or Saban are gone, there isn't a soul in the world who can compete with the coldest, hardest recruiter of them all... 💸💸💸

13 hours ago, selias said:

Don't know much about him beyond he's OC for Okie State. His wiki is pretty thing. Can you elaborate on your reason for adding him? Just curious.

I had mentioned him a few years back, but just forgot to add him.  There are a few things I like about him. He is aggressive, his offense is dynamic and successful, he adjust to his team/player strengths, and a very good QB developer.

A good indicator for his potential is that when Saban was looking to replace Kiffen, he wanted and pursued Yurcich.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I had mentioned him a few years back, but just forgot to add him.  There are a few things I like about him. He is aggressive, his offense is dynamic and successful, he adjust to his team/player strengths, and a very good QB developer.

A good indicator for his potential is that when Saban was looking to replace Kiffen, he wanted and pursued Yurcich.

He just took Oklahoma to the wire and seems to do that almost every year.  If they only had a defense.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Didn't Yurich interview for the OC position in January 2017 and withdrew from consideration?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mind me. Just more Mike Leach love!!! lol

If you did not write in Bill Belichick........You are doing this wrong.

So how many pages before the new coach commits?

May not be a popular candidate for some, but I would definitely at least put a phone call to Kiffin.  Just the type of personality that would love to compete against NS and KS.  Is a coach that coach’s to talent of the team.   

2 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

If you did not write in Bill Belichick........You are doing this wrong.

So how many pages before the new coach commits?

You need Gus fired just to make a change, but he actually called a pretty admirable game up until that field goal fake. The receivers looked about as bad as possible in the first quarter, Stidham dropped the ball on several TDs and the OL has pretty much conceded in the second half. 

You gotta get a fresh start by getting Gus out...for the culture

2 hours ago, Hopsing said:

Ryan Day OC Ohio State

Definitely improved his stock in the Michigan game.

Hoping for good news within the next week or two that we're free of the rundown bus. 

Cue the "NEVER!  Dabo's a Bammer, we don't want him, plus he'd bolt immediately" sub-committee in three...but I found this article interesting.  Sure, it's from the Clemson Tigers' site, but it expresses what I believe in my heart is true about Dabo...a man of his ethos and faith would not be drawn to the current culture of Alabama.  If he really wanted to make a statement, Auburn would be a GREAT place to turnaround and get SEC-ready.  If we have all the money it's rumored we do, he'd be the best use for it.  JMHO.  (And I confess, I would love the West Vance meltdown.)

"In ESPN’s lengthy article about Dabo Swinney and his program-building skills, Swinney sheds a bit of light on the subject. Here’s the quote that I found rather interesting out of the entire article:

“Listen, I spent 13 years there, so I get it. I know exactly what that mentality is and something I’ve tried to always fight here. You don’t see that anywhere in our building, that it’s national championship or bust. Our team goals are to win the opener, win the division, win the state championship, win the conference and win the closer.

He’s trying to “fight the culture.”

"To me, there’s just a difference between Alabama and Clemson. Both programs are on top of the College Football world, but they are doing it in different ways. Alabama is doing it with undeniable success. They are doing it with dominance. Clemson is doing it with dominance, but in a way that is fun. The ultimate goal in each program is to win, but they are doing it in different ways.Swinney and his staff are focused on building relationships, which leads to success on the field. Saban and his staff are focused on building success, regardless of the relationship."

https://rubbingtherock.com/2018/05/14/clemson-football-dabo-swinney-never-fit-alabamas-culture/

I’m curious just how good Derek Mason(Vandy) could be with the right group? I love his personality, but don’t know how good of a coach he is. 

Vandy did, after all, humiliate UTk tonight(3 straight over UTk). Something we are incapable of doing. 

I would love to see Kyle Shanahan come in, but I doubt he'd leave SF, even if that is a ship that can't be unsunk.

Just thinking with the money issue. What are the chances Steele is promoted? Steele HC, someone like Freeze at OC and let Steele do what he wants with DC. Freeze has complete control of offense and Steele leads team and directs D. Probably not popular but just a thought.

5 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

Just thinking with the money issue. What are the chances Steele is promoted? Steele HC, someone like Freeze at OC and let Steele do what he wants with DC. Freeze has complete control of offense and Steele leads team and directs D. Probably not popular but just a thought.

I have wondered this as well...would be interesting...

9 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

Our defense hasn’t been good enough to think about Steele taking over as HC. His raise was premature imo. 

3 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

Wrote this in a different thread, imo the best plan that conserves money in case you still want a home run HC down the road. Also fixes the need for a completely new hand controlling the offense

13 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Cue the "NEVER!  Dabo's a Bammer, we don't want him, plus he'd bolt immediately" sub-committee in three...but I found this article interesting.  Sure, it's from the Clemson Tigers' site, but it expresses what I believe in my heart is true about Dabo...a man of his ethos and faith would not be drawn to the current culture of Alabama.  If he really wanted to make a statement, Auburn would be a GREAT place to turnaround and get SEC-ready.  If we have all the money it's rumored we do, he'd be the best use for it.  JMHO.  (And I confess, I would love the West Vance meltdown.)

"In ESPN’s lengthy article about Dabo Swinney and his program-building skills, Swinney sheds a bit of light on the subject. Here’s the quote that I found rather interesting out of the entire article:

“Listen, I spent 13 years there, so I get it. I know exactly what that mentality is and something I’ve tried to always fight here. You don’t see that anywhere in our building, that it’s national championship or bust. Our team goals are to win the opener, win the division, win the state championship, win the conference and win the closer.

He’s trying to “fight the culture.”

"To me, there’s just a difference between Alabama and Clemson. Both programs are on top of the College Football world, but they are doing it in different ways. Alabama is doing it with undeniable success. They are doing it with dominance. Clemson is doing it with dominance, but in a way that is fun. The ultimate goal in each program is to win, but they are doing it in different ways.Swinney and his staff are focused on building relationships, which leads to success on the field. Saban and his staff are focused on building success, regardless of the relationship."

https://rubbingtherock.com/2018/05/14/clemson-football-dabo-swinney-never-fit-alabamas-culture/

If true, how much would it take to lure him to Auburn.

After all, CPD was a UGA grad and spent several years under Bahr, but fully embraced being an Auburn man.

This is a heartening article if on the up & up...

Archived