Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

To update the story, Purdue is said to have ponied up as much as $6M/yr to keep him on.  I guess they've developed a taste for not dreading football season...

Good for them.  Not sure he's worth that kind of cabbage......BUT GUS SURE AIN'T!!!!

So, again, if they can keep the buyout reasonable, it might still be worth the risk.

Problem now is....if Purdue really is gonna Pay The Man....this silly fiasco Auburn's currently displaying doesn't give him any other incentive besides extra zero's to come to Auburn.  So....guess that ship has probably now sailed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

O WE HAVE SO MUCH more talent than Ville. Behind the scenes? Touche. But on the field? Brohm is exactly the coach Bo Nix needs to reach his full potential.

I'm unsure what to think about Jeff Brohm. The fact that he went 6-6 again this season doesn't help (getting bludgeoned by Minnesota and losing to some FCS--I think--team), but it's a HUGE step up from where they were when he got there. And yeah, there is that little matter of what they did to tOSU. I say give him another year to show more of what he can do (not like we have a choice).

35 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'm unsure what to think about Jeff Brohm. The fact that he went 6-6 again this season doesn't help (getting bludgeoned by Minnesota and losing to some FCS--I think--team), but it's a HUGE step up from where they were when he got there. And yeah, there is that little matter of what they did to tOSU. I say give him another year to show more of what he can do (not like we have a choice).

Going 6-6 at purdue is like getting 10 or 11 wins here. Any given saturday they can just get out talented. The margin of error for them is very slim. But yah they easily could of had a better record but had some head scratching games.

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I can't believe more people aren't on the Dino Babers train. That guy is awesome, and to succeed at Syracuse, you gotta be special.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my problem right now is pretty much ANY legit name that comes up I'd take over Gus. 

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but my problem right now is pretty much ANY legit name that comes up I'd take over Gus. 

I feel like any above average coach, that has a modicum of actual football knowledge, could come in and win 8 or 9 with the talent that we've assembled.

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I can't believe more people aren't on the Dino Babers train. That guy is awesome, and to succeed at Syracuse, you gotta be special.

He's just as good of a name as most others mentioned. I'd take him.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

I feel like any above average coach, that has a modicum of actual football knowledge, could come in and win 8 or 9 with the talent that we've assembled.

Spot on. We have showed time and time again we win IN SPITE of the average run of the muck coaches we have employed since Dye.

11 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Need to see 2 more seasons of his work before commenting. 

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Spot on. We have showed time and time again we win IN SPITE of the average run of the muck coaches we have employed since Dye.

How bizarre is that? Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizik all have undefeated seasons at Auburn. Gus Malzahn has a national title game appearance and 2 wins over saban. We are so weird. 

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

How bizarre is that? Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizik all have undefeated seasons at Auburn. Gus Malzahn has a national title game appearance and 2 wins over saban. We are so weird. 

Yea now you see why they call it JABA.

who else can go from 4-8 to 14-0 to 3-9 in the space of 5 years?

21 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

Any thoughts on Jeff Monken?  He’s turned the Army team into a winning team and he did well at Georgia Southern too.

NO NO NO on waking up every saturday having to watch the triple option lol

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

hahahaah yes we are. The BI polar team of major college football.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

NO NO NO on waking up every saturday having to watch the triple option lol

Didn’t realize that’s what he ran.  I went to high school with his wife and thought of him.  I looked up his record and thought he was decent based off the record instead of offensive style.

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is so true. For all the bad press AU has gotten for firing  football coaches, not a SINGLE one of them has come close to matching the success they had at AU. Auburn's problem is on the hiring end and the messy way they handle the firing end. The decision to fire is almost always the correct one.

13 minutes ago, CR said:

This is so true. For all the bad press AU has gotten for firing  football coaches, not a SINGLE one of them has come close to matching the success they had at AU. Auburn's problem is on the hiring end and the messy way they handle the firing end. The decision to fire is almost always the correct one.

Absofrickinlutely!!! Every one of them was justified! We are not like the NFL where they be firing coaches after 1 season. All of them got at least 4 years. That is a eternity in this day and age.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:29 AM, bigbird said:

after quitting on his team and Auburn, it really does not matter to me.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, Zeek said:

Marshall - Doc Holliday

You got to love a coach with name like Doc Holliday. Is he any good?

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, bigbird said:

Well I'm not sure we have all that much talent on the o-line. But I do agree with on the above average coach part.

I know some probably wouldn't want him now after a 6-6 season, but I'd still be ok with Mike Gundy. He's done a good job at OK St. I know his record against OU is bad but come on, who else has been beating OU consistently in the Big XII?

Since 2005(Gundy's 1st year at OK St)

Current Big XII vs OU

OK St: 2-12
Texas: 7-7
TCU: 2-8
Texas Tech: 4-10
Baylor: 3-11
Kansas: 0-11
Kansas St: 2-9
Iowa St: 1-10
West Virginia: 1-7

Texas is the only team that's been competitive with Texas since 2005. OU has owned the Big XII besides the Vince Young/Colt McCoy Texas years. 

Archived