Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

4 hours ago, Carnell said:

3 names come to mind

Dennis Allen, Dennis Allen, Dennis Allen

Just out of curiosity, why would he be a good hire? I'm simply asking cause I don't know much about him other than being the saints D coordinator. Seems like he's been in the NFL for a while would he be able to switch to the college atmosphere and be able to recruit? 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Venebles, Fleck, Heupel, Steele, Aranda, Leach, Patterson. In that order. Dream hire would be Franklin, but it ain’t happening. He’s at a better job. 

Cristobal and Aranda top my list, though we probably get turned down and end up with Bill Clark.  We could do worse, we are doing worse.

8 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Just out of curiosity, why would he be a good hire? I'm simply asking cause I don't know much about him other than being the saints D coordinator. Seems like he's been in the NFL for a while would he be able to switch to the college atmosphere and be able to recruit? 

8 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

I have watched Dennis Allen defense because I follow the Saints.  I am impressed with his defensive philosophy.  I have seen him when his defensive scheme fooled the quarterback and made him make the incorrect read and confuse the offensive line blocking scheme and I have also seen him bring pressure with the blitz.  Now I have seen saben bring pressure but he does not do well with defensive schemes that try to fool the quarterback into misreads.

He was a defensive quality control assistant with the Falcons under Wade Phillip who is a real good defensive coach.  In addition, as a defensive assistant he has experience coaching both the secondary and the defensive line.  I will admit that his defense did not finish well when he was DC of the Broncos in 2011 but Denver was not very talented.  Even his first 2 or 3 years with the Saints his defenses finished no better than 25th in the but about 3 years ago his defense jumped up to 10 in the NFL and this year they are currently 7 in the NFl.  Even those stats are misleading because Sean Peyton's offense scores a lot of points that the defense plays a sort of prevent defense and keeps everything in front of them so although the Saints defensive stats are good they could be even better because of the garbage stats embedded.  He is doing this without great talent although he does have good talent.

I was watching the Bears and Saints last week and the announcers were stating how well respected he is.  If he is well respected he could also get will good quality assistants and I think he would bring a quality staff to Auburn.  In fact, on the offensive side of the ball he could bring Sean Peyton's offense to Auburn.  

I can understand your concern about recruiting but I believe when recruits hear we got an assistant from Sean Peyton staff it will give us instant credit with recruits in fact I have heard from some people on these boards that Saben's success to recruiting is that he can get recruits to the NFL so why dont we use that tactic.  

One thing that I was concerned about was could he handle a college offense because they are now so different than pro offenses these days.  However, he answered that question last year in the playoffs.  The eagles with Nick Foles played the Saints

The eagles run zone read and zone split plays  that are very common in college these days.  The eagles scored on their first two possession but did not cross the 50 yard line the rest of the day.  The bears had the best defense last year and the eagles completely baffaled the bears defense a week before losing to the saints.

2 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I have watched Dennis Allen defense because I follow the Saints.  I am impressed with his defensive philosophy.  I have seen him when his defensive scheme fooled the quarterback and made him make the incorrect read and confuse the offensive line blocking scheme and I have also seen him bring pressure with the blitz.  Now I have seen saben bring pressure but he does not do well with defensive schemes that try to fool the quarterback into misreads.

He was a defensive quality control assistant with the Falcons under Wade Phillip who is a real good defensive coach.  In addition, as a defensive assistant he has experience coaching both the secondary and the defensive line.  I will admit that his defense did not finish well when he was DC of the Broncos in 2011 but Denver was not very talented.  Even his first 2 or 3 years with the Saints his defenses finished no better than 25th in the but about 3 years ago his defense jumped up to 10 in the NFL and this year they are currently 7 in the NFl.  Even those stats are misleading because Sean Peyton's offense scores a lot of points that the defense plays a sort of prevent defense and keeps everything in front of them so although the Saints defensive stats are good they could be even better because of the garbage stats embedded.  He is doing this without great talent although he does have good talent.

I was watching the Bears and Saints last week and the announcers were stating how well respected he is.  If he is well respected he could also get will good quality assistants and I think he would bring a quality staff to Auburn.  In fact, on the offensive side of the ball he could bring Sean Peyton's offense to Auburn.  

I can understand your concern about recruiting but I believe when recruits hear we got an assistant from Sean Peyton staff it will give us instant credit with recruits in fact I have heard from some people on these boards that Saben's success to recruiting is that he can get recruits to the NFL so why dont we use that tactic.  

One thing that I was concerned about was could he handle a college offense because they are now so different than pro offenses these days.  However, he answered that question last year in the playoffs.  The eagles with Nick Foles played the Saints

The eagles run zone read and zone split plays  that are very common in college these days.  The eagles scored on their first two possession but did not cross the 50 yard line the rest of the day.  The bears had the best defense last year and the eagles completely baffaled the bears defense a week before losing to the saints.

Interesting. Sounds solid on defense I just would hope he would bring someone who could effectively use our talent that we have on offense and some QB coach to teach both Bo and JG how to properly read a defense and to improve. Also would need a knockout recruiting coordinator but he definitely isn't worse that what we have now! 

9 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Cristobal and Aranda top my list, though we probably get turned down and end up with Bill Clark.  We could do worse, we are doing worse.

Cristobal would turn us down. Aranda not so much.

I just have no words. I'm not sure he does, either. Brandon Marcello, love him or leave him, asks a simple question. 

EH7HzOfU4AAkSBv.png

45 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I just have no words. I'm not sure he does, either. Brandon Marcello, love him or leave him, asks a simple question. 

EH7HzOfU4AAkSBv.png

I can feel the pain in Gus's voice reading that. 

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I can feel the pain in Gus's voice reading that. 

My better part of empathy-capability can too...then I remember the $49 million with seeming little oversight, and my justice side goes wild. 

2 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Interesting. Sounds solid on defense I just would hope he would bring someone who could effectively use our talent that we have on offense and some QB coach to teach both Bo and JG how to properly read a defense and to improve. Also would need a knockout recruiting coordinator but he definitely isn't worse that what we have now! 

Agree with you 100%.

Enjoyed this on a Texas board tonight as their meltdown continues over losing to TCU.  As I stated on another thread, they don't want to fire Tom Herman; they want him to die in a fire:

Put it this way...if Alabama or LSU or Auburn or USC or Georgia or Penn St or OU were in our situation today...is there any question that they'd already be working out Urban's contract and would shitcan the current coach the second it was finalized? 

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

My better part of empathy-capability can too...then I remember the $49 million with seeming little oversight, and my justice side goes wild. 

Gus has certainly become a very wealthy man due to Auburn University. I'm not trying to wax nostalgic here, but Gus is kind of my last connection to when I was in school. I started school in '09 and got to see the awesomeness of '10 and '13 first hand. As long as Gus is here I can still hang onto my college days and not truly grow up... even though I now have a mortgage, career, and wife. But, it's probably time to move on. Auburn is bigger than Gus Malzahn. If we let him go I hope people remember him for '13 and November 2017 and not for frustrating results in most other big games just like I hope most people remember Chizik for The Rain Game and holding it together in 2010 and not the collapse in 2012 or player arrests.

16 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Gus has certainly become a very wealthy man due to Auburn University. I'm not trying to wax nostalgic here, but Gus is kind of my last connection to when I was in school. I started school in '09 and got to see the awesomeness of '10 and '13 first hand. As long as Gus is here I can still hang onto my college days and not truly grow up... even though I now have a mortgage, career, and wife. But, it's probably time to move on. Auburn is bigger than Gus Malzahn. If we let him go I hope people remember him for '13 and November 2017 and not for frustrating results in most other big games just like I hope most people remember Chizik for The Rain Game and holding it together in 2010 and not the collapse in 2012 or player arrests.

We tend to remember the good. Believe we really will. My AU undergrad years were Bo, Sir Charles, and Chuck Person. Although each have weighed into our present in a variety of ways 🤔😁🤗, I choose to remember their excitement on the court. I went to high school with the Dye kids...so yes, we remember the good. Love your post. We'll just watch things unfold and hope that the best is genuinely yet to come.

P.S. Coach Chiz will always be in my mind as the one who signed my copy of his ALL IN book at A-Day, winking when I told him I stayed in prayer for the team and program. What he and Jonna did for our local Adullam House ministry, a home for children of incarcerated moms, is beyond compare. 

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

Cristobal would turn us down. Aranda not so much.

Cristobal would not turn us down. It has been out there since the summer he wants this job. Worst kept secret in college sports. It was a big talking point on the radio during the summer. It would also makes sense with Herbert being a Senior and going to the NFL after this season it is the perfect time for him to leave.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Cristobal would not turn us down. It has been out there since the summer he wants this job. Worst kept secret in college sports. It was a big talking point on the radio during the summer. It would also makes sense with Herbert being a Senior after this season it is the perfect time for him to leave.

I never heard anything about it, but that would be awesome! I always figured he had a pretty great job. Weak conference, unbelievable facilities, the Nike recruitment machine. Why leave all that to come to Auburn and have to go through our gauntlet of a schedule and recruit against the GOAT?!

13 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

EH7HzOfU4AAkSBv.png

No skin off Gus's nose he is still a multi millionaire.

Since the one constant in criticizing Gus is quarterback development it seems that anyone putting a candidate forth should include evidence that the proposed coach actually has some success with quarterback development in the form of guys in the NFL or at least some all-conference QBs that were the product of his coaching. 

Here is the list of current starters in the NFL......so let's see who can tell us what coaches are responsible for their development and might be available. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_starting_quarterbacks_in_the_National_Football_League

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Since the one constant in criticizing Gus is quarterback development it seems that anyone putting a candidate forth should include evidence that the proposed coach actually has some success with quarterback development in the form of guys in the NFL or at least some all-conference QBs that were the product of his coaching. 

Here is the list of current starters in the NFL......so let's see who can tell us what coaches are responsible for their development and might be available. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_starting_quarterbacks_in_the_National_Football_League

Since when did you have to produce an NFL starter for your work to be considered " development "? 

Progression and not being a hindrance is all that is required. Saban has used his QBs for most his time at Alabama to just not lose. We dont even have that ability with our idiot playcalling HC even with an extremely stout D.  Hell, we took an NFL too candidate and made him regress in his 2 years with stidham. 

Unless I am misunderstanding, which is possible with gargling on gus. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Since the one constant in criticizing Gus is quarterback development it seems that anyone putting a candidate forth should include evidence that the proposed coach actually has some success with quarterback development in the form of guys in the NFL

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.  Here ya go: :roflol:

Loeffler has served as position coach for a number of prominent players over his career. Loeffler was the college quarterbacks coach to future NFL Draft picks Tom Brady, Tim Tebow, Brian Griese, Chad Henne, Drew Henson, John Navarre, and Logan Thomas. The players have started over 300 regular-season NFL games, with Brady alone accounting for more than 250 regular-season starts.

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Since the one constant in criticizing Gus is quarterback development

That's hardly the only constant. Gus also sucks at building an offensive line. He also sucks at calling plays. And he also sucks at designing any semblance of a passing attack. These are all also constants that you've frequently disagreed with. 

Urban Meyer won national titles with Chris Leak, Tim Tebow and Cardale Jones. 

saban has put numerous QBs into the NFL but none of them have stuck.

You're not going to save Gus's job. 

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

we don't need an nfl level qb developer. plenty of college coaches have developed good qbs who never go one to do any thing in the nfl.

what we need is ANY qb development. i don't believe gus has the slightest idea of what makes a good qb or not or how to get them to do those thing which would make them good.

43 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I’m not sure that’s the only way to approach this. To my knowledge, saban hasn’t developed a single quarterback in his decades of coaching, but he has one of the best in the country and Heisman contender with Tua and had Jalen for 3 years as well and may win the Heisman. He hasn’t developed those guys, but he has hired great coaches, gotten out of their way, and let them do their job.

Archived