Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Just now, bigbird said:

Only if he brings Ryan Silverfield with him

I vote for any of the following:

Sonny Dykes

Dave Aranda

Bill Clark

Josh Heupel

Billy Napier

Urban Meyer

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offensive minded:

Cristobal

Heupel

Norvell

Yurcich

Cale Gundy (tough pull)

Jeff Scott

Defensive minded:

Aranda

Vennables

Mel Tucker

Jim Leonhard

Dan Lanning (Big Stretch, but worked with him some at SHSU. He'll be a star someday soon)

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Offensive minded:

Heupel

Norvell

Yurcich

Cale Gundy (tough pull)

Jeff Scott

Lane Kiffen

Defensive minded:

Aranda

Vennables

Mel Tucker

Jim Leonhard

Dan Lanning (Big Stretch, but worked with him some at SHSU. He'll be a star someday soon)

I would pass out like a screaming goat if we got Aranda and he pulled a coach O allowing a good coordinator to do their job on the offensive side of the ball. Hand Aranda a blank check for OL and QB coaches.

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Not that he can't be, but Minnesota isn't rebuilt just yet. They've played no one yet, their best wins are Nebraska and Maryland. If they go out and beat Penn State this weekend I'll certainly be willing to reconsider that stance.

My biggest concern is retaining the defensive staff. Even though we will hit a regression next year due to the talent vacuum, if we can keep fielding a strong defense, that would certainly help the offensive transition. But at the same time, the last thing I want to is handcuff a new head coach. Truly a frustrating situation we find ourselves in...

Fair point about Minny, but man they look much improved from where they were in September. It's hard not to be impressed at 5-0 in the Big10 considering how irrelevant they've been for a half century. Their last Big 10 championship was in 1967!

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I would pass out like a screaming goat if we got Aranda and he pulled a coach O allowing a good coordinator to do their job on the offensive side of the ball. Hand Aranda a blank check for OL and QB coaches.

Believe it or not, I think Steele would do the same thing. He'd hire one and stay the hell out of it.

Just now, bigbird said:

Believe it or not, I think Steele would do the same thing. He'd hire one and stay the hell out of it.

Especially at his age with his coaching experiences (the good and the bad) I don't think he has an illusions of grandeur. I would be really fascinated to see Gus gone tomorrow and see how interim Steele would do and let young buck Dillingham call the plays however the hell he feels like it. 

Rhule, Fleck, Fickell, Venables, Satterfield, Campbell. Surely we can get one to say yes. If anyone can get Matt Rhule away from Baylor they're gonna be hell on wheels. 

My top 5 are 

1. Fleck

2. Aranda

3.Venables

4. Crystable

5. Steele

Dream hire is James Franklin.

what is most likely...........Ditka.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Lashlee

Only if we get a committee together composed of former players Chris Todd, Cam Newton and another Auburn man like Jay Jacobs.

Cristobal.  Saban coaching tree, knows SEC, strong recruiter, and look at the resumes of staff he has put together at Oregon.  SEC is different and he understands.

Rhuele or Clark for me.  Preferably a coach that runs the same type offense except well. It’d be a shame to spend two years transitioning to pro style and waste the talent we already have.

Just now, Win4AU said:

Rhuele or Clark for me.  Preferably a coach that runs the same type offense except well. It’d be a shame to spend two years transitioning to pro style and waste the talent we already have.

lol who actually runs a pro style offense in college football and is successful these days? Stanford is really struggling this year. That is all I got off the top of my head. Even Harbaugh stubborn ass has moved to more of a conventional spread the last 2 years. I do not think we have to worry about that.

THANK GOD no one runs a truly similar offense as Gus. He is one of the very very few who still prefers to be extremely run heavy.

1 hour ago, wareaglefan444 said:

Mike Leach as long as we can hold on to Kevin steel and twill

I really don't understand the fascination with Leach. The dude is entertaining but those Air Raid offenses tend to flounder mightily when going up against the SEC

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Won’t post the meme of my reaction Since it is a family site lol, but just think Randy marsh from South Park and you probably can guess it haha.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol who actually runs a pro style offense in college football and is successful these days? Stanford is really struggling this year. That is all I got off the top of my head. Even Harbaugh stubborn ass has moved to more of a conventional spread the last 2 years. I do not think we have to worry about that.

THANK GOD no one runs a truly similar offense as Gus. He is one of the very very few who still prefers to be extremely run heavy.

^This!

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Won’t post the meme of my reaction Since it is a family site lol, but just think Randy marsh from South Park and you probably can guess it haha.

Haha yes I know the exact one. Too much mayo.

Rhett Lashlee? Seriously? 

I’d love to stay away from Malzahn’s formers. 

Bill Clark.. hard to say exactly if he’d succeed in the SEC, but he’s definitely attractive. 

If Malzahn wasn’t so stubborn, he could hire a great OC and probably do well. But I’m ready to see him gone. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Well....he does have a front row seat as to how NOT to do things offensively. 

31 minutes ago, selias said:

I really don't understand the fascination with Leach. The dude is entertaining but those Air Raid offenses tend to flounder mightily when going up against the SEC

Totally agree!  The UW game last year was similar to Auburn's UT debacle last year with the opposing coach saying how easy & predictable the WSU offense was to defend. 

Goes along with the love for Jimbo & Urban.  I get that Urban is actually a great coach & recruiter but if he comes to Auburn and napoleon doesn't retire right away, once he's lost a game or two to bammer and/or GA he'll suddenly need to retire (again) due to a hang-nail. ....at least until the Notre Dame job comes open when they're finally tired of Brian Kelly.  As for Jimbo?  I just feel he caught lightning as the ACC was (is) nothing and he was able to ride Jameis but he left them a dumpster fire and aTm seems to be finding out about that now.  I mean, since he's joined the SEC he's Oh & 2 vs Gus for Pete's sake...

42 minutes ago, selias said:

He almost beat our 2013 team. 

44 minutes ago, selias said:

Now you know it's the mullet. To die for. Closeted Bammer style envy....lol! 😁😉

Archived