Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had about a half dozen candidates for a while now but if I had to pick one I'm going all in on Matt Rhule. That guy knows what he's doing... got back to back 10 win seasons at Temple and brought Baylor back from the dead.

30 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I've had about a half dozen candidates for a while now but if I had to pick one I'm going all in on Matt Rhule. That guy knows what he's doing... got back to back 10 win seasons at Temple and brought Baylor back from the dead.

He was given an extension through 2027. :(

I’d be ecstatic if we could land him or Fleck though.

Like Fleck. Wouldn’t hate Steele if we miss on some others.

Now that UAB just got manhandled by a  mediocre TN team, can we stop talking about hiring Bill Clark?

hate voting for Lane Kiffin because it's all moot and Gus isn't going anywhere anyway. 

20 hours ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Like Fleck. Wouldn’t hate Steele if we miss on some others.

Now that UAB just got manhandled by a  mediocre TN team, can we stop talking about hiring Bill Clark?

I expected UAB to give UT a much better game, but after losing 30+ seniors off last years team, he is 6-2. They do have Southern Miss and another tough game left, but should finish no worse than 8-4 in a rebuilding year.

1 minute ago, PUB78 said:

I expected UAB to give UT a much better game, but after losing 30+ seniors off last years team, he is 6-2. They do have Southern Miss and another tough game left, but should finish no worse than 8-4 in a rebuilding year.

I guess that's a "no", we will not stop talking about hiring Bill Clark.  He's my #1, btw, and I donate loads of imaginary money.

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why? Just curious.

Wherever he has been he has recruited at the highest level in the history of the programs.

he is very charismatic to an extent like Bruce Pearl.

He is not afraid to make changes

HE gets the most out of his players

He knows how to practice and work hard

He has made the NFL by busting his ass

He has a knack for identifying guys who love to play football and will ball and be tough

His buyout is only $4 million

Seems to adjust offense to the talent that he has

Lets DC run his unit

Shortlist - 

Bob Stoops - Make him tell you “no” when you don’t have a sitting head coach

Matt Rhule - he’s the real deal; NFL teams are already coming after him

Mike Norvell - he’s offensive paired with Steele’s defense could make a great tandem. He also has a great OL coach.

PJ Fleck - Bruce Pearl type motivator & recruiter

Mario Cristobal - former SEC OL coach that’s a great recruiter

9 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Shortlist - 

Bob Stoops - Make him tell you “no” when you don’t have a sitting head coach

Matt Rhule - he’s the real deal; NFL teams are already coming after him

Mike Norvell - he’s offensive paired with Steele’s defense could make a great tandem. He also has a great OL coach.

PJ Fleck - Bruce Pearl type motivator & recruiter

Mario Cristobal - former SEC OL coach that’s a great recruiter

I like your why's...

6 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Fleck or Cristobal for me. 
Honestly, I’d rather not have someone with Auburn ties. 

After our last university president, I get why AU tends to hire Auburn men. 

Matt Rhule would be very high on my list right now.  If you can win at Temple and then turn around the mess that was at Baylor, you can succeed just about anywhere.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Why? Just curious.

Young and hungry coach. Seems like a good person to represent Auburn. He’s had success in going to programs and getting his players to buy in to his vision and play hard for him. And he’s been successful in his last two stops. As far as him being attainable, I think a young coach would love to coach a big time SEC program, so I think we’d be able to steer him away. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Young and hungry coach. Seems like a good person to represent Auburn. He’s had success in going to programs and getting his players to buy in to his vision and play hard for him. And he’s been successful in his last two stops. As far as him being attainable, I think a young coach would love to coach a big time SEC program, so I think we’d be able to steer him away. 

Does he have ties to the southeast - its  high schools and coaches.  You can’t wait to build relationships to recruit, you have to be in their homes on day one.

I'm not exactly swinging for the fences with this scenario, but I think it's plausible, if not predictable.  For the most part, the Auburn and Arkansas coaching staffs reshuffle at the HC and coordinator positions.

Arkansas finishes the season 3-9.  Chad Morris (5-19, 0-16 in SEC) is fired after two very unimpressive seasons.  

Arkansas offers the HC job to Malzahn, who is then highly motivated to reasonably resolve the buyout situation.  Auburn promotes Kevin Steele to HC.

Steele hires current Arkansas DC (and best friend) John Chavis to fill his old spot.  Malzahn hires Dillingham as OC at UA.  Auburn hires Chad Morris as OC.  Morris and Steele worked together at Clemson.

I would like to keep most of the staff in place.  So if not Chavis, McGriff has been a DC before.  Or maybe Travis Williams gets a shot at DC and we hire another LB coach.  If we hire from the outside, I really like Kris Rishard.  I know how people feel about hiring former Auburn players, but Joe Whitt works for Kitchens in Cleveland, and there doesn't seem to be much of a future there.  His history has been with DBs, but his NFL resume is pretty impressive.  

For OC, it's possible Joe Morehead is available.  I could live with Lashlee or Joe Brady or Major Applewhite.  Burns and Williams stay put.  Kodi has far exceeded my expectations, particularly as a recruiter.  No complaints about RB.  Here's probably the most unlikely part, and it's not that much of a stretch.  Grimes is let go, and Auburn pays Brent Key to recruit and coach OL to AU standards.

WDE!

2 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

I'm not exactly swinging for the fences with this scenario, but I think it's plausible, if not predictable.  For the most part, the Auburn and Arkansas coaching staffs reshuffle at the HC and coordinator positions.

Arkansas finishes the season 3-9.  Chad Morris (5-19, 0-16 in SEC) is fired after two very unimpressive seasons.  

Arkansas offers the HC job to Malzahn, who is then highly motivated to reasonably resolve the buyout situation.  Auburn promotes Kevin Steele to HC.

Steele hires current Arkansas DC (and best friend) John Chavis to fill his old spot.  Malzahn hires Dillingham as OC at UA.  Auburn hires Chad Morris as OC.  Morris and Steele worked together at Clemson.

I would like to keep most of the staff in place.  So if not Chavis, McGriff has been a DC before.  Or maybe Travis Williams gets a shot at DC and we hire another LB coach.  If we hire from the outside, I really like Kris Rishard.  I know how people feel about hiring former Auburn players, but Joe Whitt works for Kitchens in Cleveland, and there doesn't seem to be much of a future there.  His history has been with DBs, but his NFL resume is pretty impressive.  

For OC, it's possible Joe Morehead is available.  I could live with Lashlee or Joe Brady or Major Applewhite.  Burns and Williams stay put.  Kodi has far exceeded my expectations, particularly as a recruiter.  No complaints about RB.  Here's probably the most unlikely part, and it's not that much of a stretch.  Grimes is let go, and Auburn pays Brent Key to recruit and coach OL to AU standards.

WDE!

Curious what your goal is with this scenario?  Bide time and survive until a good coach becomes available?  That sounds like a patchwork recipe to drown the program...just being honest.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Matt Rhule would be very high on my list right now.  If you can win at Temple and then turn around the mess that was at Baylor, you can succeed just about anywhere.

I really like him. He def falls in to the better coach than recruiter category for me. IDK if he would be able to recruit well enough for us to keep up with Bama, Lsu and Georgia. That is my one and only concern with him. No doubt he is a excellent eval and developer of talent though.

11 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

WDE!

I would cry myself to sleep all the way till next season opener lol. That would make me be out on the water a lot during football season hahaha.

1 hour ago, aublaise said:

After our last university president, I get why AU tends to hire Auburn men. 

Tubbs & Dye had no connection. The president was a disaster if anyone was willing to look at what he had done at ISU. 

Archived