Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Honestly I take a shot at Mike Gundy if looking for an experienced tenured type coach. Early 50's.

He would understand Auburn including the town, the people, and the rivalries. Lot of similarities between the two.

You want offense and you want QB development he will deliver. I use to think he wouldn't leave OK State but he has gotten called by Tenn multiple times and he almost took the job the last go round.

Mike Yurcich. Was Ok State OC and QB coach. Now passing game coordinator and QB coach at Ohio State. I know Bird and are on same page with this one.

Aranda from LSU.

Changing is fun,but I think those would be my top 3.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Honestly I take a shot at Mike Gundy if looking for an experienced tenured type coach. Early 50's.

He would understand Auburn including the town, the people, and the rivalries. Lot of similarities between the two.

You want offense and you want QB development he will deliver. I use to think he wouldn't leave OK State but he has gotten called by Tenn multiple times and he almost took the job the last go round.

Mike Yurcich. Was Ok State OC and QB coach. Now passing game coordinator and QB coach at Ohio State. I know Bird and are on same page with this one.

Aranda from LSU.

Changing is fun,but I think those would be my top 3.

Could Gundy recruit well enough to keep us at the top of the SEC? His recruiting rankings at OK ST are not ideal. We need a great recruiter first and foremost because of how ultra competitive the recruiting landscape is for us. That is why I am big on Cristobal as our next coach. NOW the recruiting base is a lot worse at the Pokes compared to us understandably. but Gundy comes across as one of those coaches to me at least who just wants to scheme em up and does not enjoy particularly the crutin aspect of college football. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Could Gundy recruit well enough to keep us at the top of the SEC? His recruiting rankings at OK ST are not ideal. We need a great recruiter first and foremost because of how ultra competitive the recruiting landscape is for us. That is why I am big on Cristobal as our next coach. NOW the recruiting base is a lot worse at the Pokes compared to us understandably. but Gundy comes across as one of those coaches to me at least who just wants to scheme em up and does not enjoy particularly the crutin aspect of college football. 

First he is a man, and he's 50. It is true though that he doesn't chase the 5 stars like some programs cause they have gotten burned with those. Auburn and the conference would bring him a higher level of recruit. Not sure how true, my sister is a Ok State grad, but some say things in Stillwater have gotten to routine and sorta stale for him. Combine that with the death of T-Boone and possible not getting along with the AD and that might be what almost lead him to Tenn. He is a Spurrier type, mean when he called plays exclusively on his own he would go draw stuff up while the defense was on the field. DC's under Gundy get to do what they want.

Gundy develops, this is his records. He cut about 18 Miles players for discipline after Les left.

2005 Oklahoma State 4–7 1–7 6th (South)      
2006 Oklahoma State 7–6 3–5 T–5th (South) W Independence    
2007 Oklahoma State 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (South) W Insight    
2008 Oklahoma State 9–4 5–3 4th (South) L Holiday 18 16
2009 Oklahoma State 9–4 6–2 2nd (South) L Cotton 25  
2010 Oklahoma State 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South) W Alamo 10 13
2011 Oklahoma State 12–1 8–1 1st W Fiesta 3 3
2012 Oklahoma State 8–5 5–4 T–3rd W Heart of Dallas    
2013 Oklahoma State 10–3 7–2 T–2nd L Cotton 17 17
2014 Oklahoma State 7–6 4–5 7th W Cactus    
2015 Oklahoma State 10–3 7–2 T–2nd L Sugar 19 20
2016 Oklahoma State 10–3 7–2 T–2nd W Alamo 11 11
2017 Oklahoma State 10–3 6–3 3rd W Camping World 14 14
2018 Oklahoma State 7–6 3–6 T–7th W Liberty    
2019 Oklahoma State 6–3 3–3      

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

First he is a man, and he's 50. It is true though that he doesn't chase the 5 stars like some programs cause they have gotten burned with those. Auburn and the conference would bring him a higher level of recruit. Not sure how true, my sister is a Ok State grad, but some say things in Stillwater have gotten to routine and sorta stale for him. Combine that with the death of T-Boone and possible not getting along with the AD and that might be what almost lead him to Tenn. He is a Spurrier type, mean when he called plays exclusively on his own he would go draw stuff up while the defense was on the field. DC's under Gundy get to do what they want.

Gundy develops, this is his records. He cut about 18 Miles players for discipline after Les left.

2005 Oklahoma State 4–7 1–7 6th (South)      
2006 Oklahoma State 7–6 3–5 T–5th (South) W Independence    
2007 Oklahoma State 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (South) W Insight    
2008 Oklahoma State 9–4 5–3 4th (South) L Holiday 18 16
2009 Oklahoma State 9–4 6–2 2nd (South) L Cotton 25  
2010 Oklahoma State 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South) W Alamo 10 13
2011 Oklahoma State 12–1 8–1 1st W Fiesta 3 3
2012 Oklahoma State 8–5 5–4 T–3rd W Heart of Dallas    
2013 Oklahoma State 10–3 7–2 T–2nd L Cotton 17 17
2014 Oklahoma State 7–6 4–5 7th W Cactus    
2015 Oklahoma State 10–3 7–2 T–2nd L Sugar 19 20
2016 Oklahoma State 10–3 7–2 T–2nd W Alamo 11 11
2017 Oklahoma State 10–3 6–3 3rd W Camping World 14 14
2018 Oklahoma State 7–6 3–6 T–7th W Liberty    
2019 Oklahoma State 6–3 3–3      

The past 2 years def seems a step back from the three straight 10 win seasons in a row. I thought after those seasons the Pokes were going to challenge oklahoma year in year out for the big 12 and they had taken that next step.

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The past 2 years def seems a step back from the three straight 10 win seasons in a row. I thought after those seasons the Pokes were going to challenge oklahoma year in year out for the big 12 and they had taken that next step.

Ya they looked poised, but all coaches have that period after being around awhile. Even Bob Stoops would go 8-5 with his talent about every 5 years. One things that hurts Ok State is that Dallas is a big OU alumni city.

But you gotta like a guy that tells their own kid that just cause I'm sleeping your mom doesn't mean you will get a scholarship or start lol.

For me he meets alot of the criteria that people claim they want and might be on the look for a new position if it felt right.

Demonstrated he can build a program, demonstrated he can put together back to back 10 win seasons. I completely believe if they didn't rematch LSU/Bama they would of won the 2011 NC. He is a coach that can scheme offensively, he can develop qb's. He will stay out of the way of a defensive coordinator. He has also proven that if he does hire a OC he will let them call the plays.

Why I also like Yurchich if we went the coordinator route. He spent like 7 years with Gundy and Gundy did give play calling over to him and appears to be successful at Ohio State with what he is doing there.

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Ya they looked poised, but all coaches have that period after being around awhile. Even Bob Stoops would go 8-5 with his talent about every 5 years. One things that hurts Ok State is that Dallas is a big OU alumni city.

But you gotta like a guy that tells their own kid that just cause I'm sleeping your mom doesn't mean you will get a scholarship or start lol.

For me he meets alot of the criteria that people claim they want and might be on the look for a new position if it felt right.

Demonstrated he can build a program, demonstrated he can put together back to back 10 win seasons. I completely believe if they didn't rematch LSU/Bama they would of won the 2011 NC. He is a coach that can scheme offensively, he can develop qb's. He will stay out of the way of a defensive coordinator. He has also proven that if he does hire a OC he will let them call the plays.

Why I also like Yurchich if we went the coordinator route. He spent like 7 years with Gundy and Gundy did give play calling over to him and appears to be successful at Ohio State with what he is doing there.

You are clearly very plugged in to OK ST. You know then they wanted Yurich out for FOREVER when Ohio St came in with a parachute! lol. Reminded me of when we all wanted Herb Hand gone and then Texas came in and swiped him.

I would be embarrassed if the mullet was pacing our sidelines. That guy is a clown, decent coach or not. No thanks. Hire someone who is hungry to build a powerhouse. Not a walking looney toon with Tommy Tuberville mediocrity syndrome.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I would be embarrassed if the mullet was pacing our sidelines. That guy is a clown, decent coach or not. No thanks. Hire someone who is hungry to build a powerhouse. No a walking looney toon with Tommy Tuberville mediocrity syndrome.

Lol I am just thinking , we don’t need a coach who consistently can’t field a defense and runs a spread offense geared to a 7 on 7 drill. Will not work in the SEC. 

On 10/30/2019 at 11:59 PM, WalkingCarpet said:

I'm going to need to hear this again from @bigbird or @ellitoror wde or someone else who's connected... can we actually pay Gus $25 million to disappear if November bottoms out again and the locker room implodes? I can't find anything that says a buyout near that amount has ever been paid to a college coach. That seems like an amount of money that's going to warp the space time continuum around college football. As much as we're pulling our hair out I have to believe he's here at least one more year unless him and the admin negotiate a departure so they can both save face.

He'd only be due $13M 30 days after firing.  The rest is paid in yearly installments.  That makes Cristobal's $9M buyout more palatable.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lol I am just thinking , we don’t need a coach who consistently can’t field a defense and runs a spread offense geared to a 7 on 7 drill. Will not work in the SEC. 

There are way better choices out there than Gundy. That guy is embarrassing. I’d rather have Patterson if we were going to go the Big 12 route. But neither of them would be any better than what we have at this point. We gotta take a shot on someone who We think may be able to come in here and pull a Dabo. If we aren’t going to take that shot, we are better off just keeping Gus, because at least he has a pretty good staff put together.

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

runs a spread offense geared to a 7 on 7 drill. Will not work in the SEC. 

Kinda what LSU is doing this year

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kinda what LSU is doing this year

We will see if LSU can get away with that this weekend. Should’ve been gotten last weekend. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

We will see if LSU can get away with that this weekend. Should’ve been gotten last weekend. 

This quote is more proof gus needs to be gone. A brand new D scheme stops the best O in the  nation I'm their tracks and our buffoon HC cant do his job. 

22 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Football has evolved to 7v7 drills. You don't see highly successful teams betting on the run anymore. The NFL and college football are passing games. 

Tell Lincoln Riley that. I don’t have a problem with a quality passing game but you aren’t going to to win many championships , if you think overwhelming passing will get you there . There are exceptions for example, Clemson did it. However Clemson overwhelming talent. Another thing to consider is this. Clemson plays in a much weaker conference. Like I said I will salute LSU if they can get through Bama. But like I said , I watched our defense stop them in the redzone multiple times. If they lose to Bama, it doesn’t matter how fancy their offense is. Again, I think sometimes are fans become such prisoners of the moment. The offense sucks really bad right now , so now we want a big 12 offense. You got to find equilibrium somewhere. 

Edit: I am talking about the 2016 Clemson team btw.

2018 team and this team runs the ball pretty damn good. 

17 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

This quote is more proof gus needs to be gone. A brand new D scheme stops the best O in the  nation I'm their tracks and our buffoon HC cant do his job. 

We held them to half of their average scoring per game and still couldn't eek out some semblance of an offense. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Tell Lincoln Riley that. I don’t have a problem with a quality passing game but you aren’t going to to win many championships , if you think overwhelming passing will get you there . There are exceptions for example, Clemson did it. However Clemson overwhelming talent. Another thing to consider is this. Clemson plays in a much weaker conference. Like I said I will salute LSU if they can get through Bama. But like I said , I watched our defense stop them in the redzone multiple times. If they lose to Bama, it doesn’t matter how fancy their offense is. Again, I think sometimes are fans become such prisoners of the moment. The offense sucks really bad right now , so now we want a big 12 offense. You got to find equilibrium somewhere. 

They also rushed for around 200 yds against us. They can be balanced too, they just go with what's working. 

Just now, leglessdan said:

They also rushed for around 200 yds against us. They can be balanced too, they just go with what's working. 

Well I wouldn’t consider LSU a typical 7 on 7 spread team. They were just referenced in the thread here. But I will say if they can’t run in the redzone, they aren’t beating Alabama. Alabama is not going to let them get away with the stuff we let them get away with. They had a lot of empty yards, but we were getting to Joe and that was problematic. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I wouldn’t consider LSU a typical 7 on 7 spread team. They were just referenced in the thread here. But I will say if they can’t run in the redzone, they aren’t beating Alabama. Alabama is not going to let them get away with the stuff we let them get away with. They had a lot of empty yards, but we were getting to Joe and that was problematic. 

Yeah bama has a rush end that could definitely make Burrows day a nightmare. 

Alabama's D isnt any better than ours and is one of the weaker ones they have fielded. Bama is also running a 7v7 O putting up huge passing numbers. 

If we have half of lsu/bama/ou etc O, we are undefeated. 

If you want to run the ball, fine, but football has evolved past betting on the run game. 

2 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Alabama's D isnt any better than ours and is one of the weaker ones they have fielded. Bama is also running a 7v7 O putting up huge passing numbers. 

If we have half of lsu/bama/ou etc O, we are undefeated. 

If you want to run the ball, fine, but football has evolved past betting on the run game. 

Alabama also can run the ball very efficiently. It is not an extreme. I am not saying run the ball 80 percent of time. I am saying you better be able to run the ball when it matters. Or else you become another Oregon.

The pundits consider our defense to be elite so if they aren’t any better than us and this consider one of their “weaker” defense what does that tel you ? 

Unless you have a DL like ours that can shut down the run using 3 then being spread out really opens the run. Look at OU, LSU, Ohio St, OkST, they all have great rushing numbers

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Unless you have a DL like ours that can shut down the run using 3 then being spread out really opens the run. Look at OU, LSU, Ohio St, OkST, they all have great rushing numbers

Good points big bird. Talking out of my ass. I guess I need to walk back my thoughts about

Yurcich and Gundy. 

Archived