Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

2 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

Bob Stoops would be my pick if possible. Proven , will get recruits immediately, Coaches with Fire . Sell more then anything that he has always spoke down on the SEC cause of amount of attention the conference gets and not put on him . I think most coaches always get compared to , well could you win in the SEC. Give him a shot to prove He can win in the best conference in the land. He’s got plenty of money , it’s about record books and proving your the best with the pedigree Stoops has. Would still be a lot. He is type of guy I think could go toe to toe with Saben and Smart in all aspects of coaching.(recruiting , x/o etc) he won’t be in over his head. 

I do not know all specifics of health reason but he would be my pick. 

As I recall, his OU teams actually owned the SEC.... FWIW.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He also inherited a team with a whole lot less talent than we have.

He also left Florida state in shambles after winning a national championship their.

14 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

The sec is so tough. Look at jimbo Fisher at ta@m. They went all out for him and he is struggling to win. I think we need a proven coach from a power conference but who can compete with saban.

Give Jimbo time. He's in a recruiting mecca in Texas, and I think that he will do well at A&M

Just now, AUsince72 said:

As I recall, his OU teams actually owned the SEC.... FWIW.

Yes, that’s correct but then the question always went to well could you win playing SEC schedule weekend and week out. That’s what I was pointing too. 

With a lot of his interviews he was get snappy when talking about the strength of conferences. This would give him personally a chance to prove that his coached teams coach dominate any schedule or any conference .

See , I just sold you . Haha haha 

I just would rather get a high profile guy and quit taking all these chances . Get him  to give us about 5 years with a coach under his belt to groom for after Stoops. This is more wishful thinking , buyout to big .

Chris Peterson, Dabo Swinney, or a time marchine to get Kirby Smart or James Franklin. That’s my top tier but not going to happen group.

Put the UAB or App State coaches on a prove it deal for next year. Heavy incentives low base salary. Then give them a two year deal to prove they can maintain no more than 3 losses. If they make it through that a 5 year deal with a performance clause.

24 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

The sec is so tough. Look at jimbo Fisher at ta@m. They went all out for him and he is struggling to win. I think we need a proven coach from a power conference but who can compete with saban.

You do realize this is his first year there and his only losses are to the #1 and #4 team in the country?

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's his 3rd win against a Top 10 team in the last three years.  They do well for being at a school with limited recruiting footprints and resources.  He's also coaching their players up.  Look at the offense in week 2 vs Iowa and now.  Totally different and much improved.

Campbell's teams have never exceeded 9-wins, he'd be interesting to watch this year, but I'm just not sold yet. Being good for an upset every year isn't the same as being a yearly championship contender.

5 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

Yes, that’s correct but then the question always went to well could you win playing SEC schedule weekend and week out. That’s what I was pointing too. 

With a lot of his interviews he was get snappy when talking about the strength of conferences. This would give him personally a chance to prove that his coached teams coach dominate any schedule or any conference .

See , I just sold you . Haha haha 

I just would rather get a high profile guy and quit taking all these chances . Get him  to give us about 5 years with a coach under his belt to groom for after Stoops. This is more wishful thinking , buyout to big .

I would be on board with him (or even Mark).

He's familiar with the SEC (coached at UF as I recall) and yes, he has a MAJOR chip on his shoulder about the SEC.  I think the thought of proving himself in this conference would energize him.

Plus, I'm one of those who feels the SEC is a bit overrated anyway due to BSPN constantly trying to keep tha' tahd's SOC "artificially" high.  JMO... I'm not convinced the SEC isn't just as top heavy as the Big 12.  Defense is better, but overall, OU beat the cream of the SEC crop whenever they played them....

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

Campbell's teams have never exceeded 9-wins, he'd be interesting to watch this year, but I'm just not sold yet. Being good for an upset every year isn't the same as being a yearly championship contender.

Franklin's teams at Vandy never exceeded 9.  Saban never won more than 9 at Michigan State.  Sometimes you have to take where they coach and the talent available to them into context.

5 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

You do realize this is his first year there and his only losses are to the #1 and #4 team in the country?

Well that's not good enough in the sec. We're not happy with 2-4 losses a year. As long as Saban is around you have to win them all to win West or go to playoffs. I do think he is a better coach then Gus though.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Franklin's teams at Vandy never exceeded 9.  Saban never won more than 9 at Michigan State.  Sometimes you have to take where they coach and the talent available to them into context.

1njhck.jpg?a427392

5 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Well his team hasn't been blown out yet this season, and they have been close in a couple of games. He has them on a steady rate of improvement and they play with a lot of fire and hunger to win. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

Well that's not good enough in the sec. We're not happy with 2-4 losses a year. As long as Saban is around you have to win them all to win West or go to playoffs. I do think he is a better coach then Gus though.

Not sure if you’re serious, but again, this is his FIRST year and it was to the #1 and #4 teams in the country. He has also won a national championship and currently has the #2 recruiting class.

I don’t care if it’s a no name or the hottest coach in the country. If he can recruit AND DEVELOP and let his coordinators do their job then I want him. Also has to be decisive

6 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I voted Clark but would take any of those people mentioned in the poll. Hell, I would take @bigbird. I'm sure we can get him for way less than $7 million a year and he knows what's wrong with the offense and would be smart enough to not only hire the right people but get out of their way to let them do their job. Bigbird for Head Coach? Anyone else with me? 😉

Just wanted to beat augolf to the faceslap.😂

Mike McIntyre at Colorado is someone I think we should look at. He could be another Dan Mullen type coach in the SEC who's able to get a lot out of his players. He could get a lot more talent at Auburn than he can at Colorado. He's got Colorado 5-0 right going to the USC game. 

He does have an overall losing record but he's been at some down programs in Colorado and San Jose State but he's been able to have some success despite inheriting down programs. The big thing for me is that he does have a little bit of experience in the SEC. He was at Ole Miss under David Cutcliffe from 1999-2002.

3 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Mike McIntyre at Colorado is someone I think we should look at. He could be another Dan Mullen type coach in the SEC who's able to get a lot out of his players. He could get a lot more talent at Auburn than he can at Colorado. He's got Colorado 5-0 right going to the USC game. 

He does have an overall losing record but he's been at some down programs in Colorado and San Jose State but he's been able to have some success despite inheriting down programs. The big thing for me is that he does have a little bit of experience in the SEC. He was at Ole Miss under David Cutcliffe from 1999-2002.

Welcome to the McIntyre bandwagon!  Glad to have you!

53 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Chris Peterson, Dabo Swinney, or a time marchine to get Kirby Smart or James Franklin. That’s my top tier but not going to happen group.

Put the UAB or App State coaches on a prove it deal for next year. Heavy incentives low base salary. Then give them a two year deal to prove they can maintain no more than 3 losses. If they make it through that a 5 year deal with a performance clause.

Not sold on Smart personally........could change my mind in a few years.

The list is mostly crap and EXACTLY why we wind up in bad situations. Please remove any coordinator from it. They are not ready to coach a program at our level.

This time Auburn can't fire, and pay 32 million+, to "take a chance" on someone else. We keep who we have until an ABSOLUTE consistent winner is available and ready to take the job. 

YOU CAN HIRE WORSE THAN WHAT WE HAVE. YOU CAN DO MORE LONG TERM DAMAGE WITH A BAD HIRE. (See Tennessee & Florida)

Don't make decisions when you are angry/frustrated, it's not good. The direction forward needs to be very well thought out with the odds of consistent success high. 

Look for coaches that have had long term success. Examples would be;

Chris Petersen and Gary Patterson.

I'm not fond of the guy but Dan Mullen is an example. You can't argue his accomplishments. (I know he is not leaving Florida, like I said these are examples of what we must look for.)

Charlie Strong? There's no doubting what he did at Louisville... but then Texas. The verdict is out on him now.

Chip Kelly. If he turns around UCLA he could be great at Auburn.

Kyle Whittingham?

Scott Frost. If he can get Nebraska to a consistent 9 win team over a 3 year period, he is ready.

James Franklin and Bill Clarke are the ONLY ones on the list I would consider.

Bill Clarke intrigues me, I would be hyped/fired up to have him BUT I must ask myself is he really ready for Auburn? Has he done enough yet to be worthy of Auburn.

Please, please... moving forward, please don't throw out the "what have they done lately" coaches name.?. Let's let the other programs hire the assistants/coordinators and if the pan out over a 4 to 5 year period we go get them.

I really like Bill Clark and Heupel as offensive guys but Auburn might be burnt out on high upside not too much proven type of guys. 

I dont see too many PROVEN guys that arent already on teams that can be as good as us if not better (for reasons). Auburn has the bank of a top 10 program granted, but a UW or PSU (who is pretty much in that same boat) are gonna stick with the guys they got for years, even if they are struggling. These are basically the figureheads of their respective programs' revival. There's no way in hell Dabo would leave for any job other than UA, coming to us would be a downward move honestly. You could hire Kendal Briles, make him keep the defensive staff (and please get a new DB coach), and backdoor cut either Yuge Freeze or Art onto the staff later on

If we GOTTA keep Gus, Id ask the Board to completely neuter his control over the playcalling and hire Hugh. I cant think of any other OC of worth who'd take that position right now, and Gus is only gonna hire someone he likes if he has a decision 

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

EP-308169606.jpg

I’m telling you! Get Allen on the jet and get this man to Auburn!

I really love what hes done for their offense and has made them a tough team, I dont see us hiring him unfortunately, but hes certainly more accredited coming in than anybody we've hired at HC in my lifetime. 

2 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

He's made Iowa freaking State relevant. His 8 wins last year is the most at that school since 2000, and the 2nd most since 1978. He just beat the number 6 team in the country with a third team QB. There is not a coach on this planet who could make Iowa State a yearly championship contender. Chiz won a national title here after being 5-19 at Iowa State.

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm with you here.  I said last week that if I were the AD, I'd want to look long and hard at Mike McIntyre.  He's a guy with Southern roots (played at Vandy and Tech) that has taken a doormant Colorado program and completely changed the culture there.

Eh.  Colorado has had one winning season out of the last five.  They did go bowling that season but got pounded by 30 points.  They are 5-0 this season...the combined record of their five opponents is 12-25, though.  Not saying he isn't the Man for the job...his resume of success doesn't put him above other names I've seen mentioned.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Archived