Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

In principle, yes. But those contracts are rarely signed for months after they are agreed to.

Spot on. If USC, FSU or AU came calling and wanted him bad enough he would leave Minny in a heart beat. There have been many a coaches who have agreed to extensions and left soon after.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the turnaround from this particular head coach. He's coached both sides of the ball as well. Interesting.

2013   2–10 1–7 T–9th  
2014   6–6 4–4 6th  
2015   10–4 7–1 1st (East)  
2016   10–3 7–1

2017   1–11 1–8 9th  
2018   7–6 4–5 T–5th  
2019   8–0 5–0

Just now, TigerFanAU said:

Look at the turnaround from this particular head coach. He's coached both sides of the ball as well. Interesting.

2013   2–10 1–7 T–9th  
2014   6–6 4–4 6th  
2016   10–3 7–1

2017   1–11 1–8 9th  
2018   7–6 4–5 T–5th  
2019   8–0 5–0

Is that Matt rhule?

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I rather us re hire 5-19 than go that route!!! Lol

I almost vomited. Remember when everyone crapped on the guy at the airport who was booing?

Alright I have your three potential splash hire who I think we could legitimately pull to Auburn.

Chris Klieman | Kasnas State | 78-15 . It's his first year in D1 but the dude is a proven winner and he knocked off Oklahoma in his first season. 

Bryan Harsin | Boise State | 66-21

Mike Norvell | Memphis | 34-15

Dabo would be great but literally impossible without the Infinity Gauntlet. Chris Petersen isn't happening since his wife isn't leaving the west coast. Lincoln Riley isn't going anywhere other than maybe the NFL but dear God imagine him matched up with Steele's defense.

Mike Houston at ECU could be another option.

14 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

2013   2–10 1–7 T–9th  
2014   6–6 4–4 6th  
2016   10–3 7–1

2017   1–11 1–8 9th  
2018   7–6 4–5 T–5th  
2019   8–0 5–0

IMO Matt Rhule is the closest thing out there to a slam dunk. Ten wins seasons don't just happen at Temple and what he's done at Baylor is miraculous.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I almost vomited. Remember when everyone crapped on the guy at the airport who was booing?

Alright I have your three potential splash hire who I think we could legitimately pull to Auburn.

Chris Klieman | Kasnas State | 78-15 . It's his first year in D1 but the dude is a proven winner and he knocked off Oklahoma in his first season. 

Bryan Harsin | Boise State | 66-21

Mike Norvell | Memphis | 34-15

Dabo would be great but literally impossible without the Infinity Gauntlet. Chris Petersen isn't happening since his wife isn't leaving the west coast. Lincoln Riley isn't going anywhere other than maybe the NFL but dear God imagine him matched up with Steele's defense.

Mike Houston at ECU could be another option.

Hahahaha of course I do!!!!! That was great entertainment!!!! He was just voicing what we all were feeling after hiring a coach with a freaking 5-19 record!!! Lol

We want a leader not a loser boooooo!!!!!! 😅🤣😂

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hahahaha of course I do!!!!! That was great entertainment!!!! He was just voicing what we all were feeling after hiring a coach with a freaking 5-19 record!!! Lol

We want a leader not a loser boooooo!!!!!! 😅🤣😂

But Gwill! He WoN a NaTiOnAl ChAmPiOnShIp

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Spot on. If USC, FSU or AU came calling and wanted him bad enough he would leave Minny in a heart beat. There have been many a coaches who have agreed to extensions and left soon after.

Indeed. Silly season and speculation has begun. It would be the most Gus thing ever for him to beat UGA and Bama this year, and wreck our replacement plans. 😅

24 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

2013   2–10 1–7 T–9th  
2014   6–6 4–4 6th  
2016   10–3 7–1

2017   1–11 1–8 9th  
2018   7–6 4–5 T–5th  
2019   8–0 5–0

Similar to Ark St and the first few years at AU.

Not saying he won't be good but it's pretty early IMO

More to ponder...

Over Yurcich’s six years at Oklahoma State, the program ranked fifth nationally in passing yards per game (315.9), 11th in touchdown passes (179), seventh in total yards (478.6) and sixth in scoring (38.0).

And Ohio State is currently 6th in total offense.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Similar to Ark St and the first few years at AU.

Not saying he won't be good but it's pretty early IMO

All right bird is the word!!! Spill!!! Lol. What is going on with you and rhule!? You have thrown subtle shade here and there at him I have noticed. Why are you not sold on him but are with some guys less of a track record. I am genuinely curious. He has won at places where it is extremely tough to do so. Baylor was decimated after the briles scandal.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

More to ponder...

Over Yurcich’s six years at Oklahoma State, the program ranked fifth nationally in passing yards per game (315.9), 11th in touchdown passes (179), seventh in total yards (478.6) and sixth in scoring (38.0).

Pair that with the Steele Curtain

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

All right bird is the word!!! Spill!!! Lol. What is going on with you and rhule!? You have thrown subtle shade here and there at him I have noticed. Why are you not sold on him but are with less of a track record. I am genuinely curious. He has won at places where it is extremely tough to do so. Baylor was decimated after the briles scandal.

I have nothing against him. Yes, he has won and done a nice job rebuilding. He's never really done it against upper tier competition though and doesn't have an extensive history for us to judge him on his sustainability. That's it. There's nothing personal about that.

Gus had won everywhere also and had only been doing it a few years when we hired him. I prefer not tho go down a similar road. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I have nothing against him. Yes, he has won and done a nice job rebuilding. He's never really done it against upper tier competition though and doesn't have an extensive history for us to judge him on his sustainability. That's it. There's nothing personal about that.

Gus had won everywhere also and had only been doing it a few years when we hired him. I prefer not tho go down a similar road. 

I don't see any similarities at all between Gus and rhule. Gus was a head coach 1 year at the college level before AU hired him. Rhule has been a head coach for now 7 years at the college level with three of those in the big 12.

23 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

@bigbird so you value years of experience over years as a head coach?

I value coaching tree/pedigree first and then experience (experience doesn't necessarily have to be years working).

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I don't see any similarities at all between Gus and rhule. Gus was a head coach 1 year at the college level before AU hired him. Rhule has been a head coach for now 7 years at the college level with three of those in the big 12.

Okay

FTR, Gus had many more years of experience as a HC.

So now it appears Stoops is not a candidate or that an agreement was not reached... yet.... or what? 

.... all I read out of it.... is there could still be a chance......... Someone please call Yellawood while we still have time :)  .

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

three of those in the big 12.

The big 12 has been bad for a while. Beside OU there hasn't been any competition. That has aided in the rebuild and W/L department. But again, he's not a bad coach.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Taking Steele with him!? Where is he going? Lol. I don't see FSU hiring him and Steele wouldn't go with him to arky if by some miracle Gus actually took that job.

Who knows who could leave or be fired in silly season. South Carolina could come calling, Kentucky, Missouri, Vandy, V-tech,.....We dont know how much Steele likes coaching with Malzahn. I dont imagine he does but I dont know that to be true. I see player developement from the defensive side of the ball is all I know and we got that on offense we would be a 10+ win team.

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No disrespect but how can you have coordinators on your list before this guy who has shown he can win at two different institutions in turn around fashion ? 

Edit: i saw you say you value pedigree. That is where we disagree. 

I didn’t know a whole lot about coach Matt but I like what I am seeing. I read that he also spent several years as a line coach with the New York Giants as well. 

40 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Okay

FTR, Gus had many more years of experience as a HC.

As a High School Head coach. I think we can all agree Rhules 7 seasons as a college head coach is much more valuable than any years Gus had as a high school head coach.

Archived