Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

On 11/12/2019 at 1:03 PM, Barnacle said:

Auburn would be undefeated and in the playoffs this season with Clemson's schedule. 

I'm not sure what Dabo's record would be this season with our schedule. It's easy to say he would be undefeated, but really, would he be? 

Anyway, I'm not arguing that Dabo isn't a better coach than Gus, but our schedules - especially this season - are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum. 

Our schedule really is a bear, and I know that people don't like the way we've lost our games, but there aren't many teams that would be undefeated with our schedule to this point. Maybe Ohio State? Maybe Clemson? Maybe?

In a vacuum, I'm fine with the two games we lost.

IN A VACUUM.

Context is everything.

If we win 2014 TAMU, 2016 UG and 2018 UT (and he doesn't keep JB Grimes around) I'm not so sure we would be having this conversation--9 wins in all but one season here sounds a helluva lot better than less than 9 in all but two, doesn't it?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even disregarding previous years this year has frustrated me. Losing to the two teams we have lost to is nothing to be ashamed of. Once again, the way we lost, with complete offensive ineptitude while wasting excellent defensive efforts is what is maddening. I don’t think anyone expected an undefeated record at this point necessarily. We easily could be undefeated if not for the same offensive buffoonery we’ve witnessed for several years now. This is why people are ready to show Gus the door despite what at first glance looks like a pretty solid season thus far. People not acknowledging this just seem incredibly obtuse to me. Hell, if Gus would just figure out a different way to lose winnable games it would be more palatable.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Even disregarding previous years this year has frustrated me. Losing to the two teams we have lost to is nothing to be ashamed of. Once again, the way we lost, with complete offensive ineptitude while wasting excellent defensive efforts is what is maddening. I don’t think anyone expected an undefeated record at this point necessarily. We easily could be undefeated if not for the same offensive buffoonery we’ve witnessed for several years now. This is why people are ready to show Gus the door despite what at first glance looks like a pretty solid season thus far. People not acknowledging this just seem incredibly obtuse to me. Hell, if Gus would just figure out a different way to lose winnable games it would be more palatable.

When the head coach isn't even the *best at what he does on his own team, it's time to look elsewhere. 

*Just how vast that difference is can be debated, but that there is a difference and that it is vast cannot. 

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Good points, I'd like to add one more. We heard through the summer and into camp that this was an important year for Gus and for Auburn. Gus was taking playcalling back. The schedule is hard but the toughest games are spread out and we can build momentum up to them. 2019 is the year to sink to 5-7 or 6-6 and move on from Gus as we enter the new decade, or swim to 10 or 11 wins behind an awesome defense and Gus's reclaimed offense. Instead we've neither sank enough to get the most ardent Gus supporters to join the "move on" camp, but we haven't swam enough to get the Gus haters back on the bus. We can still get to 10 wins but Gus's offense is going to have to play much better than it has over the last month+. If we go 8-4 and lose to UGA and bammer with scorelines like 17-6 and 31-10 I just have to believe something will happen. Fan angst and frustration is going to be near an all time high. 

FWIW my FSU friends and local news in the Panhandle is convinced Bob Stoops is all but locked down. 

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

FWIW my FSU friends and local news in the Panhandle is convinced Bob Stoops is all but locked down. 

It’s true...hearing it from the boosters all week.

16 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

It’s true...hearing it from the boosters all week.

Yup. Take him off the potential list. Funny to me after all his smack talk the dude didn’t take an SEC vacancy. Instead he’s hopping into the weakest Power 5 conference (outside of Clemson). I know a bunch of athletic trainers with the school and they’re pretty surprised the school is ponying up the money.

A lot of issues to be fixed there. 

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Yup. Take him off the potential list. Funny to me after all his smack talk the dude didn’t take an SEC vacancy. Instead he’s hopping into the weakest Power 5 conference (outside of Clemson). I know a bunch of athletic trainers with the school and they’re pretty surprised the school is ponying up the money.

A lot of issues to be fixed there. 

Too bad we missed our window last year.

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Let's be real we're going to take some former assistant like Chip Lindsey or Rhett Lashlee.

Just now, Zeek said:

Let's be real we're going to take some former assistant like Chip Lindsey or Rhett Lashlee.

I think even Auburn is capable of learning from its mistakes. And if you look around the landscape of Auburn athletics, it's not the 80s anymore and we're being rewarded for forward thinking decisions. It makes sense that football would be the last to look forward, but I think maybe the time has come. 

(As an aside, I think that one day a case might be made that Bruce Pearl saved Auburn basketball and Auburn football. If you swing for the fences, you just might hit the ball out of the damn park.)

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think even Auburn is capable of learning from its mistakes. And if you look around the landscape of Auburn athletics, it's not the 80s anymore and we're being rewarded for forward thinking decisions. It makes sense that football would be the last to look forward, but I think maybe the time has come. 

(As an aside, I think that one day a case might be made that Bruce Pearl saved Auburn basketball and Auburn football. If you swing for the fences, you just might hit the ball out of the damn park.)

Agreed, I'm frustrated with Auburn being constantly behind and reactionary at best. That was the fun part when Gus first came in as the OC it was innovative and exciting. Now it's just disappointing and frustrating. Not to mention we're way behind on the Football only Facility. We're behind with the LED lights. Auburn needs to be at the tip of the spear instead of constantly chasing our rivals.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:07 PM, TigerFanAU said:

Yes sir, coached both sides of the ball as well. 

But I have a feeling we're stuck with Gus for a while. 

Rhule has a hefty buy-out.  He's in my Top 3 but I just can't see it with the cost of dumping most or all of our current staff.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:27 AM, WalkingCarpet said:

Good points, I'd like to add one more. We heard through the summer and into camp that this was an important year for Gus and for Auburn. Gus was taking playcalling back. The schedule is hard but the toughest games are spread out and we can build momentum up to them. 2019 is the year to sink to 5-7 or 6-6 and move on from Gus as we enter the new decade, or swim to 10 or 11 wins behind an awesome defense and Gus's reclaimed offense. Instead we've neither sank enough to get the most ardent Gus supporters to join the "move on" camp, but we haven't swam enough to get the Gus haters back on the bus. We can still get to 10 wins but Gus's offense is going to have to play much better than it has over the last month+. If we go 8-4 and lose to UGA and bammer with scorelines like 17-6 and 31-10 I just have to believe something will happen. Fan angst and frustration is going to be near an all time high. 

Football PURGATORY at it's finest.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That might be one thing indeed from which we learn. 🤔🤨😃

Let's go ahead and crank this back up.

Fire Gus tonight. Steele interim so our guys have a chance against Bama.

I might offer Steele for a year. See what he can do. Bring in a big offensive name to coordinate.

I say we go pluck one from the Dabo Swinney tree. I hear he's got a pretty talented grad assistant who could be worth watching. Terry... Bolton? Bowers? Bordon? It's on the tip of my tongue...

18 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I say we go pluck one from the Dabo Swinney tree. I hear he's got a pretty talented grad assistant who could be worth watching. Terry... Bolton? Bowers? Bordon? It's on the tip of my tongue...

Eh what Arky tried and failed miserably 

On 11/16/2019 at 5:50 PM, auburn4ever said:

Not in any order. James Franklin, Bob Stoops, Chris Petersen, Mario Cristobal, Urban Meyer, Mike Leach.

Solid list but a lot of names disappear quick. Franklin wouldn't leave Penn St for Auburn, Bob Stoops isn't happening, Petersen won't leave the west coast, Meyer probably doesn't return to the SEC, Leach is essentially an 8-9 win guy.

Pay Urban Meyer $40M for 5 years to build a top tier program.  Then find someone else to run it.  Maybe putting a 5-year limit will keep him from flaking out and bolting.  

Either we do it now or someone else will... 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Solid list but a lot of names disappear quick. Franklin wouldn't leave Penn St for Auburn, Bob Stoops isn't happening, Petersen won't leave the west coast, Meyer probably doesn't return to the SEC, Leach is essentially an 8-9 win guy.

Why does everyone automatically rule out Stoops? It was a possibility last year (how much of one is debatable, but there was definitely some communication between him and our boosters), and he was looking at FSU but they didn't offer him enough money. This isn't the AU under JJ where we end up with some good-ole-boy ala Chizik instead of a proven winner. I think Greene could get an elite coach to come to Auburn.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Mike Leach would bring the fun in football back to Auburn. I'm not convinced he'd bring wins though.

9 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Eh what Arky tried and failed miserably 

Terry Bowden is a GA at Clemson. Stepped down from Akron to do so. It was one of the more bizarre stories from this past summer.

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Pay Urban Meyer $40M for 5 years to build a top tier program.  Then find someone else to run it.  Maybe putting a 5-year limit will keep him from flaking out and bolting.  

Either we do it now or someone else will... 

Do we let him build a culture of illegal recruiting and crimes too? Like I said, I'd be amazed if he ever returns to the SEC.

Archived