Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

5 minutes ago, gc2525 said:

1 - Dabo Sweeney 

2 - Bob Stoops

3 - Lane Kiffin 

We need someone who is proven......

1) There's only one job Sweeney would leave for, if he even plans on leaving

2) Big Game Bob would keel over in the middle of the season at Auburn

3) Kiffin would be a lateral hire IMO. He has a career winning percentage of .645 compared to Malzahn's .682 And at their current schools Kiffin is .700 compared to Malzahn's .671

The tie breaker? Kiffin is an ass who'd get himself left off the bus. I don't think the results match the attitude.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think it necessarily has to be one of the ‘hot’ coaches. I think Saban was a good coach before but I think the NFL experience affected him and made him better. Maybe look at someone who once had success but then failed( like trying their hand at he NFL). You know that they were a good coach but that failure made them tougher and stronger and reignited a fire to reprove themself. 

Whoever we get, I just want someone who is a freaking competitor!!! Someone with a burning desire to win willing to put in the work and go toe to toe with the Sabans and Smarts of the world 

8 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

1) There's only one job Sweeney would leave for, if he even plans on leaving

2) Big Game Bob would keel over in the middle of the season at Auburn

3) Kiffin would be a lateral hire IMO. He has a career winning percentage of .645 compared to Malzahn's .682 And at their current schools Kiffin is .700 compared to Malzahn's .671

The tie breaker? Kiffin is an ass who'd get himself left off the bus. I don't think the results match the attitude.

Not a given that Dabo would only take one job.  Again, all he can say is no, but the main point is we need to ask.

25 minutes ago, Eustace Conway said:

Gary Patterson. Proven winner. No more high school coach's o r up and comers.

He has a statue at TCU.  Not happening.

20 minutes ago, gc2525 said:

1 - Dabo Sweeney 

2 - Bob Stoops

3 - Lane Kiffin 

We need someone who is proven......

1 - Lateral move at best for him plus he hates AU.  There's exactly one college job he would think about leaving Clemson for and it's on the other side of the state.  Also, his name is spelled Swinney.

2 - He willingly walked away from one of the top 5-7 jobs in college football.  I'd make him tell me no as an AD, but he ain't coming.

3 - What has Kiffin really proven?  He failed at USC so terribly that they fired him on the tarmac at the airport.  Is doing OK now, but it's FAU.

I would be happy with John Grass or Bill Clark over what we have now and after what I've witnessed this year.

3 hours ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Brian Kelly

LOL!  People don't walk away from the HC job at Notre Dame unless it's to go to the NFL or retire.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He has a statue at TCU.  Not happening.

1 - Lateral move at best for him plus he hates AU.  There's exactly one college job he would think about leaving Clemson for and it's on the other side of the state.  Also, his name is spelled Swinney.

2 - He willingly walked away from one of the top 5-7 jobs in college football.  I'd make him tell me no as an AD, but he ain't coming.

3 - What has Kiffin really proven?  He failed at USC so terribly that they fired him on the tarmac at the airport.  Is doing OK now, but it's FAU.

It is interesting to see all the reasons you guys give on why we should not go get or try to get someone.  Maybe that is the reason we keep settling for inferior coaches.  Got to hand it to Bama they did not sit back and say Saban would never come here. Nope that went and asked....

1 minute ago, gc2525 said:

Not a given that Dabo would only take one job.  Again, all he can say is no, but the main point is we need to ask.

Name one incentive to leave the program you've built into a yearly national brand for Auburn? A $32 Mil buyout? He's got a $40 buyout at Clemson. You're right it's not given that he would leave even for Bama, but Dabo is not worth $72 Million especially if you consider he's 1-2 against Saban. If we're going for completely fantasy options then shoot for Bill Belichick.

12 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

I don’t think it necessarily has to be one of the ‘hot’ coaches. I think Saban was a good coach before but I think the NFL experience affected him and made him better. Maybe look at someone who once had success but then failed( like trying their hand at he NFL). You know that they were a good coach but that failure made them tougher and stronger and reignited a fire to reprove themself. 

Whoever we get, I just want someone who is a freaking competitor!!! Someone with a burning desire to win willing to put in the work and go toe to toe with the Sabans and Smarts of the world 

I'm with you here.  I said last week that if I were the AD, I'd want to look long and hard at Mike McIntyre.  He's a guy with Southern roots (played at Vandy and Tech) that has taken a doormant Colorado program and completely changed the culture there.

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

Name one incentive to leave the program you've built into a yearly national brand for Auburn? A $32 Mil buyout? He's got a $40 buyout at Clemson. You're right it's not given that he would leave even for Bama, but Dabo is not worth $72 Million especially if you consider he's 1-2 against Saban. If we're going for completely fantasy options then shoot for Bill Belichick.

I like your thinking....go for it

1 minute ago, gc2525 said:

It is interesting to see all the reason you guys give on why we should not go get or try to get someone.  Maybe that is the reason we keep settling for inferior coaches.  Got to hand it to Bama they did not sit back and say Saban would never come here. Nope that went and asked....

Saban wasn't lighting it up in Miami when Bama called, plus he had one national championship on record and a better than average record. Bama made Saban, not the other way around.

5 minutes ago, gc2525 said:

It is interesting to see all the reasons you guys give on why we should not go get or try to get someone.  Maybe that is the reason we keep settling for inferior coaches.  Got to hand it to Bama they did not sit back and say Saban would never come here. Nope that went and asked....

You miss the point.  No one is saying that we wouldn't want to get someone.  But a portion of our fans don't understand the realities of who AU is on the football ladder.  We're a top 15 program that has to do everything better than everyone else just to compete with Bama and UGA right now.  You don't leave a top 5-7 program with all of the advantages built in to come here.  It's career suicide. 

9 minutes ago, gc2525 said:

Is this before or after we spend the 32 plus million? 

Are we doing this now?  Last week I had several threads deleted on the topic so I wasn't sure if it was ok to be right now or not?  Anyway, I hope this get's to stay:

*** 10/13/2018 Update ***

Jeff Brohm
Purdue wins 41-7 over Illinois. This is Purdue's 3rd straight win, bringing their record to 3-3 after starting off 0-3 by a combined 8 points.

Mark Stoops
Bye Week. Kentucky sits @ 5-1/3-1 and controls it's own destiny. I just remembered Eddie Gran was OC and recruiting/evaluating talent at UK. No wonder they're out-rushing AU by 2.1ypc.

Bill Clark
UAB beat's the Temple Owls 42-0 to bring their record to 5-1 and 1st place in the CUSA West.

22 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Are we doing this now?  Last week I had several threads deleted on the topic so I wasn't sure if it was ok to be right now or not?  Anyway, I hope this get's to stay:

*** 10/13/2018 Update ***

Jeff Brohm
Purdue wins 41-7 over Illinois. This is Purdue's 3rd straight win, bringing their record to 3-3 after starting off 0-3 by a combined 8 points.

Mark Stoops
Bye Week. Kentucky sits @ 5-1/3-1 and controls it's own destiny. I just remembered Eddie Gran was OC and recruiting/evaluating talent at UK. No wonder they're out-rushing AU by 2.1ypc.

Bill Clark
UAB beat's the Temple Owls 42-0 to bring their record to 5-1 and 1st place in the CUSA West.

I think the climate is a little different this week. I'm not sold on Brohm yet and I'm not sold that Kentucky isn't just the beneficiary of a down east division, they're playing better, but the jury is still out.

Clark I'd take tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Turner Gill or Lache Seastrunk please

11 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Turner Gill or Lache Seastrunk please

Seastrunk!!?  Bwahahahaha!!

😂😂😂

What about Matt Cambell from Iowa st. Stoops Kentucky. Who knows if we can get any one who can win. Scott frost looked like a great choice last year not so good this year. We need a guy that can recruit and develop qbs 

Let’s see.  $32 million to get rid of Gus and another $50 million minimum to get a good replacement.  Who is gonna come up with $80 million plus to make the change?  We are stuck with Gus no matter how bad it gets!  

The sec is so tough. Look at jimbo Fisher at ta@m. They went all out for him and he is struggling to win. I think we need a proven coach from a power conference but who can compete with saban.

Bob Stoops would be my pick if possible. Proven , will get recruits immediately, Coaches with Fire . Sell more then anything that he has always spoke down on the SEC cause of amount of attention the conference gets and not put on him . I think most coaches always get compared to , well could you win in the SEC. Give him a shot to prove He can win in the best conference in the land. He’s got plenty of money , it’s about record books and proving your the best with the pedigree Stoops has. Would still be a lot. He is type of guy I think could go toe to toe with Saben and Smart in all aspects of coaching.(recruiting , x/o etc) he won’t be in over his head, and has not been away from the field long enough to lose touch. 

I do not know all specifics of health reason but he would be my pick. 

7 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

The sec is so tough. Look at jimbo Fisher at ta@m. They went all out for him and he is struggling to win. I think we need a proven coach from a power conference but who can compete with saban.

He also inherited a team with a whole lot less talent than we have.

19 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

OKAY......I take back my disdain for the Iowa State coach. They beat #6 West Va 30-14. 

It's his 3rd win against a Top 10 team in the last three years.  They do well for being at a school with limited recruiting footprints and resources.  He's also coaching their players up.  Look at the offense in week 2 vs Iowa and now.  Totally different and much improved.

Archived