Tennessee Game Report Card

StatTiger

13 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Thanks Stat.  It’s a sad day to be an Auburn Tiger.  Every week I go in thinking it just has to get better.  Then it gets worse.  I have never seen an Auburn OL this bad.  The QB is shell shocked needs to take a seat.  The defense is giving out from staying on the field the whole game.  It’s just a mess and I don’t think Gus has a clue about how to fix it.  

Add to that some bad play calling and formations. The other team knows what is coming. That reverse... yikes. 

At this point, Gus needs to throw the kitchen sink into the game plan. Miller is a powerful back but more of a fullback type of back who chugs down the field with power but a lack of break away speed. Play Asa Martin starting next week and quit worrying about a redshirt. The same goes for Joiner. What would shake things up would be to go to a 2 tight end formation with 3 running backs in the backfield. Cox, Asa Martin, Miller and Joiner subbing for Miller. I know this says run, but such a formation allows us to have a true power running game. Rotate Miller and Cox as running back and fullback. Do not run out of the I formation, but line up with 3 backs almost like a wishbone option type of game.

As bad as OM defense is, we could run them into oblivion. This would confound OM in the worst possible way. Change at times back to the HUNH formation we run. We need creativity from here on in to try to salvage the season as best as possible. This could work or blow up as well. We could have short slant patterns, bubble screens, and other quick routes for 7-15 yards where JS does not have to stand in the pocket any longer than necessary. This would be a huge wrinkle and one maybe a bit off of the charts. 

If JS starts having trouble, pull him and let some of the other QBs have a go at it. I say JS needs to sit for a few series to see what is going on and converse with the OC to help get a better perspective of what is going on. This is a radical departure from what we have been doing all season and would eat up OMs defense imho. 

Stat, Corche Jay, is this doable or a pipe dream? I am tired and dealing with a bad infection in my left knee and am feeling a bit out or sorts tonight! 

12 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

At this point, Gus needs to throw the kitchen sink into the game plan. Miller is a powerful back but more of a fullback type of back who chugs down the field with power but a lack of break away speed. Play Asa Martin starting next week and quit worrying about a redshirt. The same goes for Joiner. What would shake things up would be to go to a 2 tight end formation with 3 running backs in the backfield. Cox, Asa Martin, Miller and Joiner subbing for Miller. I know this says run, but such a formation allows us to have a true power running game. Rotate Miller and Cox as running back and fullback. Do not run out of the I formation, but line up with 3 backs almost like a wishbone option type of game.

As bad as OM defense is, we could run them into oblivion. This would confound OM in the worst possible way. Change at times back to the HUNH formation we run. We need creativity from here on in to try to salvage the season as best as possible. This could work or blow up as well. We could have short slant patterns, bubble screens, and other quick routes for 7-15 yards where JS does not have to stand in the pocket any longer than necessary. This would be a huge wrinkle and one maybe a bit off of the charts. 

If JS starts having trouble, pull him and let some of the other QBs have a go at it. I say JS needs to sit for a few series to see what is going on and converse with the OC to help get a better perspective of what is going on. This is a radical departure from what we have been doing all season and would eat up OMs defense imho. 

Stat, Corche Jay, is this doable or a pipe dream? I am tired and dealing with a bad infection in my left knee and am feeling a bit out or sorts tonight! 

Sorry your not feeling well doc. Hope tomorrow is better.

As far as benching JS for a series or more, it shoulda been done yesterday and wasn't. I doubt it will happen this week either.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

And eliminate and delayed play that causes Stidham to automatically scramble, and make poor decisions trying to make something happen.

Just drop the fake handoff and for sure the one where the QB turns his back from an onrushing end, to try a trick play.

On 10/13/2018 at 7:14 PM, CR said:

Gus hired back the OL coach he let go because he couldn't recruit. His RB coach has been looking to jump ship for 2 years. Dell McGhee turned him down. Bad situation.

^This^

Notable offensive numbers

Total offense: 376.1 ypg (93rd nationally)
Rushing offense: 158.4 ypg (83rd)
Passing offense: 217.7 ypg (79th)
Scoring offense: 28 ppg (T-74th)

21 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Notable offensive numbers

Total offense: 376.1 ypg (93rd nationally)
Rushing offense: 158.4 ypg (83rd)
Passing offense: 217.7 ypg (79th)
Scoring offense: 28 ppg (T-74th)

sad but thruthful

Does anyone have an idea as to why Gus is not letting Asa play?  He has the size and speed to be a feature back. I wonder how bad Boobee's injury is and if he will be out for the foreseeable future? Miller is a good back, but is a bit slow. However, if he can rumble off 5 or more yards a carry then give him 12 or so carries.

Gus either needs to take over play calling totally or take the CEO approach and let Chip or whoever we have next year to take over and run the show. If I was an OC wanting the Auburn job, my first rule would be for me to run the offense hands off totally by Gus and make Gus take the Saban & Dabo CEO approach. Even coonass Eddie has taken the CEO approach this season and it is paying off dividends. I would not be surprised one bit if LSU upsets bammer this season. They beat up what I thought was a NC caliber team in UGA.

Schwartz & Seth Williams needs to become the primary receivers and have Slayton as the 3rd receiver. Those long pass plays that Slayton seems to have trouble catching needs to be placed in the hands of Schwartz & Williams imho. They tend to catch what is thrown their way.

Edited by doc4aday

15 hours ago, doc4aday said:

You have several good, valid suggestions as to how we could change and become a better team. However, the x-factor is that we are dealing with Gus, who is an ego maniac that thinks he is the smartest person in the stadium on game day and thinks his system is fine just how it is and cannot, will not, don't know how to ( all apply here) make wholesale changes to fix the multiple problems on this team. All of us on this board are frustrated out of our minds and feel helpless watching this team self destruct worse and worse each week and no hope for change as long as Gus is here.

On 10/13/2018 at 7:04 PM, around4ever said:

IMO, the RBs are not the problem.  They have nowhere to run. When they do find a seam or get around the corner they are fine.  The OLine is the problem with the running game.  Kam Is too light to run up the middle.  Miller is coming into his own.  I would like to see Asa get some touches.  I hope our plan is to redshirt Joiner.  

i think they are ok, but i have seen some videos where they look like they don't know the scheme or play and run away from the  (few) holes that are open or run into the back of a lineman.