3rd Down Defense

corchjay

Not knocking on Steele or any of the players but why no mix of coverage at all on some of the 3rd downs in the UT game?  Especially with 3 starters out and 2 in the defensive backfield 

30 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not knocking on Steele or any of the players but why no mix of coverage at all on some of the 3rd downs in the UT game?  Especially with 3 starters out and 2 in the defensive backfield 

What would you have thought they could do differently (seriously not being sarcastic).   It did look like we had heat on the QB in many cases so the blitz may be the reason.   Overall, I thought their receivers just outplayed our DB’s for the 50/50 ball 

8 minutes ago, lala said:

What would you have thought they could do differently (seriously not being sarcastic).   It did look like we had heat on the QB in many cases so the blitz may be the reason.   Overall, I thought their receivers just outplayed our DB’s for the 50/50 ball 

Something different.  Try to confuse the QB sometimes at least.  If we were to have gone to a zone maybe we could have gotten another defender or on the deeper jump balls.  

13 minutes ago, lala said:

Just what corch said. Mask you coverage. Give some over the top help. Maybe change to some type zone. You better do something for this week because Ole Miss QB and receivers are better than UT.

My question is why is Steele getting a pass? "His" defense has been horrible the last couple of weeks. Everyone wants to blame Gus for the offense(and he is responsible for the ENTIRE team), but Steele's defense hasn't been much better. We have been bad across the board.  

^^^this is spot on.   If the defense was playing as good as some on here want to say.   The games would be a puntfest.    But somehow KS gets a pass and everyone wants to fire Gus but keep KS.   If Gus goes , they all go, except maybe an assistant or two.   CTW would the only one I would keep 

We desperately need a quick edge rusher and don't have one. We can’t get consistent pressure on the QB and all they did yesterday was throw to a sideline spot, knowing their receiver would turn to find the ball and our DB wouldn’t. Their guy outscouted our guy. More pressure would help, and at this point I see no reason not to play Jibunor and give him one mission. Sprint to the QB. 

Honestly, I believe the DB's weren't that bad.  They often had great coverage.  UT's receivers played outstanding football.  

My only gripe is that I don't feel Auburn is getting the pressure they should be with the talent on the front 7.

Think I saw That AU gave up 180 passing yards on just eight or 9 third down plays.. ….which was half of the total yardage by the UT quarterback for the game.   

We may have to allow the teams to gain up to 8 or 9 yards by 2nd down. I feel comfortable if we have 'em in 3rd and short. If we let 'em get to 3rd and 10+, we have no shot at stopping them apparently.  ;)

I don't think I've ever seen teams dominate the "just throw it up for grabs" play like our opposing offenses.  It's got to be a 90% win at this point. UT was unstoppable on 3rd and 10+ yesterday. Heck, it was most of their offense. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Think I saw That AU gave up 180 passing yards on just eight or 9 third down plays.. ….which was half of the total yardage by the UT quarterback for the game.   

At one point I’m wondering why we don’t ( instead of trying to figure out how to stop these 3rd and long competitions) just copy them on offense. Heave up the same 20 yard balls and let Seth or salmonella or Swartz out play the dB. 

57 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Honestly, I believe the DB's weren't that bad.  They often had great coverage.  UT's receivers played outstanding football.  

My only gripe is that I don't feel Auburn is getting the pressure they should be with the talent on the front 7.

I thought the same thing watching the game.. many times those receivers were covered well with our dB right there. The Tennessee QB put the ball where only his guy could get it .. he did a great job of throwing it and the receivers did a better job of catching it. No pressure up front allowed him to set up and make clean throws.. could our dbs have been better? Yep.. but the entire defense could have been better. 

They could not run at all.  I mean none.  What did they have rushing like 53 yards or something but about the 3rd or 4th time they run the same jump ball try something different.  might be the same result or worse but not allowing the same thing to happen over and over.  

Lets face it we have a really good defense but we do not have a defense that is good enough to just shut other teams down without any help from the offense. With all the three and outs the O has the D gets tired and probably a little dejected. I know I would feel hopeless standing on the sideline for three plays just to go do the same time after time.

5 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Lets face it we have a really good defense but we do not have a defense that is good enough to just shut other teams down without any help from the offense. With all the three and outs the O has the D gets tired and probably a little dejected. I know I would feel hopeless standing on the sideline for three plays just to go do the same time after time.

Exactly.

Since so many like to try and compare to the magical bammers, does anyone think their defense would have been so great the last few years with the offense in constant 3 & outs or turnovers?  

Football is SUCH an emotional (team) game.  Both sides of the ball need to feed off each other for maximum success.

Imagine being a pitcher in baseball only giving up 1-2 runs per game but very often losing 2-1 or 3-2?  Would be draining...

I’m not slamming on the D or the coaches just saying maybe we should have tried something different.  We are man team and I’m fine with that but you have to mix it up some.  Even Air RAID offenses run draws and such at times just to keep the D honest.  

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree with you ‘72 but say you are playing basketball and you have a 6’8” center the other team has a 6’ 11” center and they keep throwing inside for layups by their big man.  Yes defending the entry is important but it’s also important to give some double team help at times also

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I agree with you ‘72 but say you are playing basketball and you have a 6’8” center the other team has a 6’ 11” center and they keep throwing inside for layups by their big man.  Yes defending the entry is important but it’s also important to give some double team help at times also

I hear you.  I was an Offensive Guard and played a little Linebacker so concepts of DB play & coverage are a black art to me.  

I agree that some adjustments were needed and probably sorely lacking but many of the catches made by UT receivers were OUTSTANDING.  If AU receivers made those catches we'd be singing their praises.  The DB's playing with whatever coverages they were given did good jobs themselves.  The QB was just given too much time to drop the ball into dime-sized holes and the receivers made the plays...many times with a DB all over him.

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

We desperately need a quick edge rusher and don't have one. We can’t get consistent pressure on the QB and all they did yesterday was throw to a sideline spot, knowing their receiver would turn to find the ball and our DB wouldn’t. Their guy outscouted our guy. More pressure would help, and at this point I see no reason not to play Jibunor and give him one mission. Sprint to the QB. 

For OM, we need all of the speed we can get in DB coverage with placing our tallest DBs on the field to counter the size of OM. Nick Coe needs to become the force he was earlier on as well as Davidson. Rush 4-5 defenders every potential passing play and let their running We should study bammers defense of OM and use that for a recipe to slow down OM passing. We need to be relentless every time their QB goes into passing mode and make his night or day a living nightmare like bammer did. I plan to go back on youtube and rewatch that game to see what they did to thwart their passing attack.  Arkansas should have beaten OM except for some poor untimely execution.

OM is now favored in that game with the line showing us losing 38-30. If we can keep them under 30, we have a chance because their defense is worse than ours pretty much across the board. We missed some crucial scoring opportunities when our receivers were open with one being for a sure TD in that JS actually made a nice throw for the receiver just to make the catch. Than could have made it 31-30. But coulda woulda shouldas do not win games. Making the plays wins games. We just need to make them.

7 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

My question is why is Steele getting a pass? "His" defense has been horrible the last couple of weeks. Everyone wants to blame Gus for the offense(and he is responsible for the ENTIRE team), but Steele's defense hasn't been much better. We have been bad across the board.  

Gave up 23 pts against Miss St. while being on the field 42+ mins... Against TN literally every jump ball was completed. Are they playing perfect? No, but why do they keep being dragged into a debate to where an O can’t score and a QB can’t stop turning the ball over.

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

Speaking of 6’8, Tega should of been an edge rusher and not beefed up into an OT. My personal opinion of course

Archived