Rod/Stan get your act together

TigerOne

after complimenting on the job they do, yesterday was terrible much like the game.

Can't tell where the ball is, mistaken players called out, piss poor announcing the play.

Pathetic, get a spotter that can see the other end of he field! After 6 games they should have it figured out.

If you can't do it then wait till the TV folks tell you, guess that's what 's happening now.

A lot of it is they have to try and paint a positive picture instead of cussing what they are watching on the field.

8 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

they have moved to the corner rather than where they have always been and its hard to tell what yardline its spotted at or where the play ends

after half the season they still don't know what to do? Yeah they are in the corner so what, move or add a spotter somewhere at the north end.

There job is difficult and extremely frustrating when you see what Auburn is putting on the field...again.

I think they have a spotter on/near the 50. Still not ideal.

Has it really been that bad this year? I haven't had to listen to them yet.

2 minutes ago, Linayus said:

It's been different.  But I think the fact that they're having to call such bad performances is enhancing the effect...  They're not THAT bad, to me... Still 1000x better than Mark Jones or Pam Ward or a million other ESPN announcers.

23 hours ago, Linayus said:

Their vision is limited, they've had to broadcast a couple games where the refs played a negative part in the game, and now they're having to try to put lipstick on a hairy old 500 lb pig.  Needless to say the boys have a rough go of it in the AU booth.:-[

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, TigerOne said:

after half the season they still don't know what to do? Yeah they are in the corner so what, move or add a spotter somewhere at the north end.

There job is difficult and extremely frustrating when you see what Auburn is putting on the field...again.

Speaking as a former full time play-by-play guy and as someone who still calls games on occasion, it's not as easy as you're making things sound here.  I'm not a fan of Rod and Stan as a team, but I'll say that what you're suggesting would wildly throw off any broadcast rhythm.

Understand that they are observing what's in front of them, translating the game to the audience, and also combing through information that is available to them in real time via replays or stats.  This doesn't include the producer in their ears informing them of upcoming breaks, needs for station IDs, etc.  Now add a spotter in your ear from the other side of the stadium and see how you process all of that info while keeping the broadcast seemless.  It's just not that simple.

Equate it to this: can a baseball pxp guy give you an accurate read on where a pitch missed unless he's sitting behind home plate?  The answer is no.  That's essentially what happened to Rod and Stan by moving the booth from near midfield to the corner of the end zone.  Believe me here, it's hard enough to get the yard line right all the time when I do games and the booth I call from is on the 40.  The corner would make it nearly impossible to be accurate.

I appreciate and respect your insight and understand the job is difficult.

The poor field performance has migrated up to the broadcast booth sometimes.

They do a good job most of the time but it could and should be better.

If JHS ever gets expanded /renovated serious look at relocating the broadcast booth back to the 50 either west or east side.

23 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I appreciate and respect your insight and understand the job is difficult.

The poor field performance has migrated up to the broadcast booth sometimes.

They do a good job most of the time but it could and should be better.

If JHS ever gets expanded /renovated serious look at relocating the broadcast booth back to the 50 either west or east side.

I agree with you here.  My biggest complaint our all of our broadcast teams across sports are that they tend to be too homer-ish for my tastes.  Too often they blame refs/umps while glossing over the mistakes of the team.  Drives me insane and actually makes them unlistenable for me most of the time.

On 10/16/2018 at 1:03 PM, Brad_ATX said:

I agree with you here.  My biggest complaint our all of our broadcast teams across sports are that they tend to be too homer-ish for my tastes.  Too often they blame refs/umps while glossing over the mistakes of the team.  Drives me insane and actually makes them unlistenable for me most of the time.

Ehh, they've had to cool their jets on the homerism the last couple of weeks as the on-the-field production has tanked on both sides of the ball.  We all know good football when we see it, even if our view of the field is limited. And I don't care what angle you're looking from, that team has been a mess.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Ehh, they've had to cool their jets on the homerism the last couple of weeks as the on-the-field production has tanked on both sides of the ball.  We all know good football when we see it, even if out view of the field is limited. And I don't care what angle you're looking from, that team has been a mess.

Oh my comment wasn't just Rod/Stan.  I find baseball nearly unlistenable with Rod/Andy because they spend half the time complaining about balls and strikes.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Oh my comment wasn't just Rod/Stan.  I find baseball nearly unlistenable with Rod/Andy because they spend half the time complaining about balls and strikes.

They love some cheese with their whine, fo sho!

I had to give up on listening to them call baseball - like finger nails on a chalk board.

I don't see how they call the game at all from where they are at. It's in the corner of the end zone. They have talked about how difficult it is to see the yard lines and whether a first down is made. I have no problem with the job they are doing knowing this. I would also say that they are both huge Auburn fans and are obviously upset with how the season is going.

As far as the corner press box, it seems the solution would be to have an HD closed-circuit camera mounted right at the 50 yard line feeding dedicated monitors for both the AU radio team as well as the visiting radio announcers and other media. Other monitors should show the television feed and the jumbotron feed (replays, etc.).

I realize this is not perfect, because you can't use binoculars, etc. the way radio announcers tend to work. Perhaps with time, and using a 4K camera, an application that would allow easy zooming could mimic this, say the whole field view on one large screen and a small screen containing a zoom of the line of scrimmage. Just by changing the glance you could see the whole defense, the WR alignment, etc, or shift to see the QB etc.

since Auburn people developed and designed the new led down markers maybe a system to accurately spot the ball with immediate feedback can be designed.

The old chains and line of scrimmage marker has to be the most primitive item still used in sports today.

On 10/22/2018 at 1:32 PM, AU-24 said:

Who was the rocket scientist that made the decision to put our own Auburn announcers in the corner of the end zone?

He's no rocket scientist but the move had everything to do with him. 

Screenshot_20181029-044014~2.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 1:03 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Cant think of any that arent a little homer-ish.........try listening to LSU.

4 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Cant think of any that arent a little homer-ish.........try listening to LSU.

A little homerism is to be expected.  The "whoa is me, any call against Auburn is wrong" attitude our guys take is too much for my tastes.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, TigerOne said:

Not knowing where the ball is or being able to "see" the play on the radio is not a 'new press box' issue with Rod. He's been like that for years. He's not on my lifetime list of favorite Auburn play-by-play announcers. Gary Sanders and Jim Fyffe spoiled us terribly.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Speaking as a former full time play-by-play guy and as someone who still calls games on occasion, it's not as easy as you're making things sound here.  I'm not a fan of Rod and Stan as a team, but I'll say that what you're suggesting would wildly throw off any broadcast rhythm.

Understand that they are observing what's in front of them, translating the game to the audience, and also combing through information that is available to them in real time via replays or stats.  This doesn't include the producer in their ears informing them of upcoming breaks, needs for station IDs, etc.  Now add a spotter in your ear from the other side of the stadium and see how you process all of that info while keeping the broadcast seemless.  It's just not that simple.

Equate it to this: can a baseball pxp guy give you an accurate read on where a pitch missed unless he's sitting behind home plate?  The answer is no.  That's essentially what happened to Rod and Stan by moving the booth from near midfield to the corner of the end zone.  Believe me here, it's hard enough to get the yard line right all the time when I do games and the booth I call from is on the 40.  The corner would make it nearly impossible to be accurate.

With all due respect, he does it for a living...these 'distractions' are part of the job. He should be better at it by now. He's not IMO. But, as someone else posted, I'll listen to him before the TV announcers.

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

A little homerism is to be expected.  The "whoa is me, any call against Auburn is wrong" attitude our guys take is too much for my tastes.

Woe, Nelly! :P

14 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Any "insert any university"Network is going to be homerish. To expect anything else is pretty damn stupid imo. It's not 1975 anymore. It is what you get.

Absolutely....all the great old radio announcers were 100% homers...and during broadcasts usually referred to teams as 'we" and "they".....and called things that way.

Archived