My Thoughts From the Stadium (Tennessee)

abw0004

Good morning all,

I hope this finds you in better spirits than Saturday evening or Sunday.  For me, I am still feeling the pain from Saturday, literally.  For whatever reason whenever it gets cooler outside, I always think, "I won't get sunburned.  It's too cold for that."  Well here we are.  I got roasted and you can tell exactly what I wore to the game.  Will I ever learn?  I sure hope so but I have a feeling this will happen again.  Luckily my work attire cover up most of it!

Tennessee Fans:  Their fans were actually really well behaved.  Very pleasant to be around and very respectful.  Even when the win was clinched, they were supporting their team but still pleasant to be around.  I would venture out to say they were the best fan base so far this season in our stadium.  I had the same experience going to the 2013 Tennessee game.  They also showed out in force.  It was relatively easy to spot their color orange and it felt like they owned the entire away side upper deck.

Auburn fans:  For a while it seemed like almost no one would show up.  At the very last second everyone showed up, which was nice.  I could not tell how the striping of the stadium turned out so someone watching on the TV could please enlighten me.

Tennessee Marching Band:  I have always enjoyed watching Tennessee's band.  They do a good job in their performance and played very "cleanly."  In their stadium, Tennessee's band will face the opposing team's band and play their fight song out of respect and I admired that.  Their style of play is different from Auburn's, but not the high step that you saw with Alabama State's.

Auburn Marching Band:  Auburn as always did a fantastic job in their performance.  Saturday they did something different.  Their whole show was dedicated to Bruce Pearl's AUT Live Cancer.  While the band played, there were videos of Bruce talking as well as Auburn cancer survivors.  Auburn also wore pink capes.  It really was a special performance and I hope there is a YouTube video of it for all of you to see.  Really heartwarming.  And at the end, Bruce came on the field accompanied by the 2007 Tennessee basketball player that inspired Bruce Pearl's whole campaign.  That really was nice to see, and of course both Auburn and Tennessee fans were cheering.

Disappointing:  Aside from the obvious loss, the one thing that irked me was our fans were booing when Stidham fumbled.  I know the outcome of the play was not ideal, but those that booed need to remember you were booing a kid essentially.  Think about that.  These are just 18-21 kids out there.  Not what I wanted to hear.

Special Teams:  My advice to Gus might be to stop asking Anders to kick anything over 50 yards for now.  He isn't making them and it is ruining his confidence.  He has all of the talent in the world, but he is only a redshirt freshmen.  It was not ideal for us to walk in and expect Anders to pick up right where redhshirt senior Daniel left off.  Let him ramp up to it.  He will get there.  Siposs continues to impress as well.  I said this in another thread but I would be 100% okay if we only recruited former Australian rugby players from now on.

Overall Play:  I am not going to harp on the play calling on either side of the ball as we have 50+ threads created already after the game.  Some even going as far to brag about not watching another Auburn game for a few years (congratulations?).  I honestly do not know what a possible fix may be and many are calling for Gus to be fired.  One thing to think about, if you get your wish and he is fired, are you prepared to lose Steele, Gardner, and Williams?  Remember most new coaches clear house and want to bring in their own guys.  So that means all of the coaches we do like are most likely gone.

Bright spot:  If nothing else, just remember we have a lot of young players on that field.  Two in particular I am thrilled about are Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz.  They are going to be so good moving forward.  On top of this it seems like our recruits are rallying behind Auburn and come out to say they are going nowhere.  We DO have many things to look forward to.

You know I was asked if I would keep going to the rest of the games and that is an easy answer for me.  ABSOLUTELY.  Why?  You need to remember Auburn is so much more than a football game.  Going to that campus and being surrounded with people that love the same university as you is truly special.  Seeing a little girl in her Auburn cheerleader outfit that she is so proud of, or the little boy in his Auburn helmet just a little too big to where he has to cock his head back to see is one of the best things to watch.  Win or lose, life keeps moving on.  This took me a long time to figure out, but it is just a game that a bunch of kids are playing.  You wake up the next day and your kids are still there.  Your house is still there.  There is still another Auburn game to look forward to (and basketball too!).  So while many of you may not look forward to the next game, I am.  I can't wait.  I am proud to be an Auburn Tiger and cannot wait to see each and every one of you at the next game.  Oh, by the way...  :wareagle:

It's pretty telling that the only good things to talk about are the bands and the fans. 

I'm not one to stop watching or to stop buying Auburn gear. I will buy and wear my Auburn gear proudly, regardless of the play on the field... 

But nevertheless, when the bands and the fans are the only things to talk positively about, it's says all that needs to be said. 

I like your observations abw0004...

Here are mine from being at work in the first half....

So, I heard our opening drive on radio on the way to work and it sounded fantastic...but I also wondered if we used up all of our creativity an that drive?

The rest of the half I was working and could only follow on espn gamecast here and there. Was disappointed our D kept giving up big plays.

Second half observations from a bass boat...

Left work and joined an Auburn buddy on the boat to do some fishin...

Bass were biting deep, used a sink-o and caught several with the biggest being about 4 1/2 lbs.

Top water wasn’t working at all, we are still figuring out these fish as this is a new spot for us...

We listened on radio to the whole sad second half and after a couple of beers started chalking it all up to whatever freaking curse has been put on Auburn football...somebody in the loveliest village pissed off some voodoo priestess at some point...

Caught a few bream...

Sat on the dock listening to the postgame and had moved on to some Tito’s and Sprite so despite the outcome we were feeling no pain...

So, my observations are this...

abw0004 I completely agree...you can still get sun burnt when its cooler...because I did...

Auburn sucks butt this year and thanks Gus

Bass are fickle creatures but god I love fishin

I will be fishin more on Saturdays during Auburn games

I will be drinking more on Saturdays during Auburn games.

War Eagle my Tiger brothers and sisters, it will eventually be better...

38 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Auburn fans:  For a while it seemed like almost no one would show up.  At the very last second everyone showed up, which was nice.  I could not tell how the striping of the stadium turned out so someone watching on the TV could please enlighten me.

Worst one yet ... 

25 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

So, I heard our opening drive on radio on the way to work and it sounded fantastic...but I also wondered if we used up all of our creativity an that drive?

The rest of the half I was working and could only follow on espn gamecast here and there. Was disappointed our D kept giving up big plays.

Bass were biting deep, used a sink-o and caught several with the biggest being about 4 1/2 lbs.

Top water wasn’t working at all, we are still figuring out these fish as this is a new spot for us...

We listened on radio to the whole sad second half and after a couple of beers started chalking it all up to whatever freaking curse has been put on Auburn football...somebody in the loveliest village pissed off some voodoo priestess at some point...

Caught a few bream...

Sat on the dock listening to the postgame and had moved on to some Tito’s and Sprite so despite the outcome we were feeling no pain...

abw0004 I completely agree...you can still get sun burnt when its cooler...because I did...

The first few drives we played really well.  In my opinion, it started to go downhill after the injuries to Marlon, Whitlow, and Dinson's ejection.  You could tell after Dinson left Tennessee attached that area.

26 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Caught a few bream...

Nice. Redfish on a fly rod for me Saturday instead of that debacle. Hard to beat. Tight lines!

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

No mention of Casey Mize?

Completely forgot!  Good catch!

My rambling observations:

- The B2 flyover was incredible.

-The sunburn was REAL. Can’t remember the last time I got that burned at a game and have had numerous others say the same

-There were a ton of Tennessee fans there. Way more than I anticipated. They were all around us in a traditionally very Auburn section.

-Their band outplayed ours.

-Their team outplayed ours.

-I have way more Tennessee fans on Facebook than I ever realized.

-Our walkons had the sideline crazy pumped for most of the first 3 quarters.

- Stidham still misses open receivers.

- Stidham is an engaged 22 year old

college graduate. He is a grown man. Can we please stop referring to every single person wearing an Auburn uniform as a “kid”. I have kids- they wear diapers.

- Linebackers  continually struggled to get to the edge. 

- I thought about buying a bunch of gear for the wife and kids before the game. Afterwards I was glad I decided against it.

When the Bands and the Fans are the major point of emphasis in a post game thread by abw0004, we know it's hard times on the Plains.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

One thing to think about, if you get your wish and he is fired, are you prepared to lose Steele, Gardner, and Williams? 

I fret over that quite a bit. Here's the thing, though: We have all those guys right now and we're still the worst team in the SEC. I'll refrain from stating in this thread what that says about Gus, but suffice it to say that the sum total of our staff is failing miserably. So if we must cut off all limbs to save the body, so be it. 

Maybe, when put in these terms, some of you can understand why Gus is drawing the level of ire that he is.

We weren't there for this game and won't be at anymore for the remainder of the season - NOT because I have given up on our team, but because of my due date and the heat. :( 

It disgusts me that people booed when Stidham fumbled. No idea that happened until I read your post. I'm not saying we need to throw glitter on the field and think everything is okay when something like that happens, but just keep your mouth shut. Booing will not help him or our team play better. 

I watched the first 3 quarters and then had to work.   So here are my thoughts:   This is a season that looks to be Like no lucky breaks or bounces are going to go our way.   Whitlow has been involved in two of those plays just as an example.   The fumble against MSU and the fumble for a touchdown by UT.   Whitlow landed on the ball but couldn’t secure it ( it was also a play where he again hurt his shoulder).    Slayton drops a sure TD.  I could go on and on but I hope you get the picture.   

I understand the booing but don’t agree with it.   A lot of that is fan frustration with the fact that a particular player is making mistakes and there seems to be no consequences for his mistakes.   Where as another player misses a block or fumbles and you don’t see that guy for weeks.   Just a change of pace might ease the boo birds and show that it isn’t acceptable to perform in the manner in which he is performing.  

And the blame can not be solely placed on the coaches or the players.  It’s a team, so everyone out there has to take responsibility.   But that starts at the top, and CGM has to step up and say I’m where the buck stops.  

Just my 2cents

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Whitlow landed on the ball but couldn’t secure it ( it was also a play where he again hurt his shoulder). 

If I understand it, it was more than his shoulder at that point. Had some issues in the neck area too like a high stinger so I can understand him not being able to secure the ball there. :( 

2 hours ago, chimes said:

My rambling observations:

- The B2 flyover was incredible.

-The sunburn was REAL. Can’t remember the last time I got that burned at a game and have had numerous others say the same

-There were a ton of Tennessee fans there. Way more than I anticipated. They were all around us in a traditionally very Auburn section.

-Their band outplayed ours.

-Their team outplayed ours.

-I have way more Tennessee fans on Facebook than I ever realized.

-Our walkons had the sideline crazy pumped for most of the first 3 quarters.

- Stidham still misses open receivers.

- Stidham is an engaged 22 year old

college graduate. He is a grown man. Can we please stop referring to every single person wearing an Auburn uniform as a “kid”. I have kids- they wear diapers.

- Linebackers  continually struggled to get to the edge. 

- I thought about buying a bunch of gear for the wife and kids before the game. Afterwards I was glad I decided against it.

I haven't been so disappointed with LBer play since the 2011-2012 seasons. Deshaun looked like he was wearing cinder blocks for cleats. He's my favorite Tiger, but something was off with him Saturday. 

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

I haven't been so disappointed with LBer play since the 2011-2012 seasons. Deshaun looked like he was wearing cinder blocks for cleats. He's my favorite Tiger, but something was off with him Saturday. 

Wasn’t he hurt in the MSU game?  Could be the reason.

14 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Whitlow does not deserve getting tagged with that fumble.  

No, he deserves praise for throwing his beat up body in 100% to try and secure that fumble.  Whitlow's effort has been palpable all year.  He deserves to be RB1.  Big Whitlow fan now!

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Wasn’t he hurt in the MSU game?  Could be the reason.

Forgot about that,  thanks.

Archived