What I would do...

Swamp Eagle

...if I was Gus Malzahn (because he ain't getting fired this year):

1. Start MW or CS at QB, doesn't really matter which one at this juncture, just make the change

2. Let Lindsay go now. Not his fault, but the marriage is a wreck. Give him a head start on finding a job next year

3. Take over play-calling duties for the remainder of the season

4. Convince whoever needs convincing that Hugh Freeze would be an asset beginning next year and get out of his way (assuming he would jump at the chance)

5. Stay out of Steele's way

What say ye?

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

2. Let Lindsay go now. Not his fault, but the marriage is a wreck. Give him a head start on finding a job next year

I agree with everything but I’d just simply demote Lindsey in favor for Freeze. If it’s not his fault, he shouldn’t be fired. Having to sacrifice someone for an inconvenience is a weird obsession that a lot of us have. The only two on the hook in a bad way that should fear the repercussions of their performances are Gus and Leath. The OL coach is one revival of a season short from being on the hook as well.

If Lindsey doesn’t want tbe demotion, we actively help him land on his feet somewhere else. 

36 minutes ago, wareagle7298 said:

Hugh Freeze already has a job, and it would be a train wreck to bring him in. Gus would constantly be looking over his shoulder amid speculation that Freeze would take over his job.

Freeze isn't getting control of a program any time soon

The problem is structural, overall. We have recruited poorly. (We have stars, but have not at all filled fundamental needs) We have developed talent poorly. We have prepared poorly. We are dealing with issues on the offensive line that could take several seasons to repair. We have an offensive philosophy that is built on pace and misdirection...the speed has definitely caught up and we're no longer fooling anyone. 

For the sake of a scapegoat, there will be changes but this isn't Lindsey's fault. He should be allowed to finish out the season and take a job more suited to him. Grimes was a stopgap and should be treated as such. I don't see the point in hiring another offensive coordinator, really. Get a QB coach and make Gus own this offense. I seriously doubt things are going to improve very much. I think we have a very average future with Gus at the helm, so we're just going to have to hang around in the middle of the SEC and wait that incredibly foolish contract out. Unless we're willing to can him, I don't see Auburn having all that much leverage in anything Malzahn does. 

You forgot the part where Gus admits he did not deserve that contract, can't hold up his end of the agreement and renegotiates a reasonable settlement.

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

You forgot the part where Gus admits he did not deserve that contract, can't hold up his end of the agreement and renegotiates a reasonable settlement.

That's about as realistic as my "what I would do if I was Gus" list.

Sadly, we're hamstrung.

#5.   Not sure why there is so much love for him.    Auburn just gave 300 yards rushing and 300 yards passing to two very very average borderline poor teams.   

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

#5.   Not sure why there is so much love for him.    Auburn just gave 300 yards rushing and 300 yards passing to two very very average borderline poor teams.   

Gus' offense has placed his unit on the field too long. I have no complaint with KS's game planning. He has to have an offense that keeps pressure off of him, though, like anyone else. 

I’ve heard this argument and it’s just doesn’t hold water.  If you are truly elite, it will be a puntfest.   Also, explain how coming out after halftime the last two weeks the other team have drives that consume half the quarter and score points.   If he is as good as everyone says, why aren’t the scores 3-2

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

3. Take over play-calling duties for the remainder of the season

4. Convince whoever needs convincing that Hugh Freeze would be an asset beginning next year and get out of his way (assuming he would jump at the chance)

3 is more likely than 4.  You know.....cuz 4 would require Gus to actually admit he shouldn't be in charge of the offense anymore.

i have concluded that i have no idea how to fix this, except to fire the whole damned bunch and start over, which will not be done...the program is in a state of FUBAR and it is not all on coach dildohead....it is on those that were involved with this outrageous and non-sensible contract....i do not like leath one damn bit....he was one step ahead of a felony charge in iowa, and had a real problem with misappropriating funds on occasion....he wanted to be a hypocrite in the handling of the basketball situation by the way he was trying to railroad bruce.....i am not crazy about charles barkley, but he did talk some sense into the damned fool,finally.....i thank barkley for that....leath did hire a seemingly good AD in greene...he's young ,but he went to bat for bruce and made me a fan of him....just a reminder: greene had nothing to do with that contract and can't be blamed for any of this concerning football...so far, greene is someone that we need to keep around for a long time....he is better than what we had already....disclaimer: as bad as i dislike jethro jacobs, from what i have been told, he had nothing to do with the crazy contract,either....IDK.....at the end of last season, i thought it was a good idea to keep malzahn because we were the best team in the country after beating the updykes....and then he just shat his pants.....i had no idea that he would be given a contract that was worth more than king solomons mines....damn....he has been given enough opportunities to prove himself, but his arrogance and lack of a coaching background in college is just something that cannot be overcome.....for us as fans, we are stuck because the pricetag is just too much....greene make a good salary to handle stuff like this, lets let him earn that salary, because i cannot see any way to work this out without crippling the program...if you fire him, we're broke....if we keep him, we will have vandy schedule us for their homecoming game....22 days until basketball season

I understand the BOT is issuing a statement today. Wonder what they will say?

Just now, PUB78 said:

I understand the BOT is issuing a statement today. Wonder what they will say?

Is there a source for that? I'd love to be able to follow the inevitable "we stand with Gus" statement

Per one of the top assistants to the President to a co-worker who tailgates before and after games.

Archived