A competent backup QB

PigskinPat

I guess this is another one of my knocks on the Gus era and something that has driven me nuts. Why do we NEVER have a backup QB ready to come off the bench and run the full offense? JJ came in the first half of Arkansas in 2014 and did a great job, but even then the playbook was limited.

How many times just in games against us have we seen the backup QB come in and run the offense at a high level? I know we’ve joked before about making any team’s backup QB look like a Heisman candidate, but they have come in CONFIDENT and PREPARED to run the full offense. Do the other QBs on our team not get many reps in practice, do they not get a lot of individual coaching and time breaking down film, reading defensive schemes, etc?

What are other teams doing that prepares multiple QBs to perform that we aren’t doing? There are things other teams are doing that we obviously aren’t. Any insight?

I think Gus and Chip should absolutely work up some sort of plan to play a 2nd QB this week.  Not start him,  but play him in an obviously-planned, non-garbage time role.

I think Stidham needs a wakeup call.  Seeing his role somewhat diminish due to his failed performance might light a fire under him.

From the way it appears that QBs regress under Gus, maybe we should go ahead and play Gatewood now.  He's as good as he's going to get under this staff.

5 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think Gus and Chip should absolutely work up some sort of plan to play a 2nd QB this week.  Not start him,  but play him in an obviously-planned, non-garbage time role.

I think Stidham needs a wakeup call.  Seeing his role somewhat diminish due to his failed performance might light a fire under him.

Most everyone on here has been saying that for several week's but Gus/Chip are not picking up on our vibe (yet). 

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

Most everyone on here has been saying that for several week's but Gus/Chip are not picking up on our vibe (yet). 

I think we'll see something different this week.  I have no idea what, but maybe it'll be playing a backup QB for some (entire) possessions.

5 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

True but then again they may have a better feel for what the next guy can do.   Willis has had a few chances and done nothing in my view, to make me wish he was spending more time on the field.....but if he were in for a couple series of plays he might not feel that he has to do something remarkable right off the bat.

1 minute ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think we'll see something different this week.  I have no idea what, but maybe it'll be playing a backup QB for some (entire) possessions.

Ooooo... The emergence of Chandler Cox doing 360s in the backfield at QB?

35 minutes ago, nutspanther said:

Ooooo... The emergence of Chandler Cox doing 360s in the backfield at QB?

Maybe.  I'm not sure we would score any less points than we're currently scoring now.

From the get go it seems that Gus only plays the backup in a running role. Drives me crazy. The D absolutely knows what they are going to do. It hurts them much worse than it helps them to dumb down the offense to a couple of running plays. 

Gus sometimes has a problem having one QB ready to run the offense. Now you want two? Man, your tough to please. 😁

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Gus sometimes has a problem having one QB ready to run the offense. Now you want two? Man, your tough to please. 😁

True! Maybe I’m putting the cart before the horse because rarely do we have a starter confident and prepared to run the offense, much less a backup!

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

True! Maybe I’m putting the cart before the horse because rarely do we have a starter confident and prepared to run the offense, much less a backup!

Lol, by the way I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's puzzling that so many other coaches have this covered except ours. 

Something I’ll throw out here.  In 2013 Auburn took a cornerback and made him a Qb.  His first game was pretty rough.  The second game was better and so on.  Maybe Malik or Cord are better in games than in practice?  Maybe they don’t need to run the whole offense.  Give Malik a couple run option plays with a designed pass every now and then.  It worked for Nick

4 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Agreed. I commented in another post that Gus will ruin Nix. At this point Stidham has zero confidence and likely had blown millions as a 1 or 2 round draft pick. It's not all Gus necessarily, but his track record proves he can't operate without a QB that runs at least a 4/5. I wouldn't mind seeing cord or Joey. How can the O get any worse. Don't really have faith in Willis though. Just an opinion. 

This is the part of the movie where Gus gets in his car on a rainy and dark night and searches the frat parties until he finds his former quarterback at rock bottom, high on the plant.  He tells Sean that he can still be something if he believes in himself and in the system.  Sean tells him to go to hell...but shows up at practice reluctantly the next day after he and his mom have a heart to heart that morning and she decides that foozball is in fact, not the devil.

6 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Something I’ll throw out here.  In 2013 Auburn took a cornerback and made him a Qb.  His first game was pretty rough.  The second game was better and so on.  Maybe Malik or Cord are better in games than in practice?  Maybe they don’t need to run the whole offense.  Give Malik a couple run option plays with a designed pass every now and then.  It worked for Nick

There were more things at play during the 2013 season. We had very good OL play, a balanced upperclassman RB who had a knack for finding holes (much like KJ last season) where there weren't any,  a go to TE in CJ,  Nick's athleticism, a change of pace RB with breakaway speed in Grant and a decent #2 back in CAP, AND much overlooked, a QB who was unusually calm in the pocket and made few bad decisions under duress...and a little bit of magic. 

15 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

There were more things at play during the 2013 season. We had very good OL play, a balanced upperclassman RB who had a knack for finding holes (much like KJ last season) where there weren't any,  a go to TE in CJ,  Nick's athleticism, a change of pace RB with breakaway speed in Grant and a decent #2 back in CAP, AND much overlooked, a QB who was unusually calm in the pocket and made few bad decisions under duress...and a little bit of magic. 

I’m just saying maybe Malik or Cord would get better the more they played.  Didn’t mean to make a 2013 comparison.  Boobee reminds me a lot of Tre.  He doesn’t get a lot of big runs but consistently gets 3-4 yards.  I bet a running threat at Qb might open up the middle for that first down dive.  

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

From the way it appears that QBs regress under Gus, maybe we should go ahead and play Gatewood now.  He's as good as he's going to get under this staff.

I agree with you on this one. He could surprise a lot of folks if given the chance. What has Gus got to lose? JS is shell shocked and needs to be benched to see how other QBs can handle the game. Will this happen? Probably not!

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

This is the part of the movie where Gus gets in his car on a rainy and dark night and searches the frat parties until he finds his former quarterback at rock bottom, high on the plant.  He tells Sean that he can still be something if he believes in himself and in the system.  Sean tells him to go to hell...but shows up at practice reluctantly the next day after he and his mom have a heart to heart that morning and she decides that foozball is in fact, not the devil.

That's the part where I always cry. Can Sean not see that the system is broken or is the bottom so low that he will believe in anything? Get's me every time.

4 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Why do we NEVER have a QB ready

Because we do not have a coach on the staff that knows a damn thing about coaching QB's. Is this not obvious by now.

5 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think Willis will start. IMO there are only two things Gus can do to show hes making a significant changes to try and fix things: Fire Chip or bench Stidham. Don’t think he’d fire Chip midseason (although if he makes the QB change, he may also take back playcalling fully). Benching Stidham at least gives the appearance he’s trying something new, although it’s an absolutely massive risk to take given how poorly things could go. 

Archived