What's the best case scenario for the Contract?

AUght2win

Lots of season remains. I think if Gus wins 7 or more he's safe regardless. But let's assume he doesn't.

I wouldn't want him coaching the program anymore. But strangely enough, I'd hate to see him fired because it would be so demoralizing to reward him with $31 million for failing. Wouldn't it also handcuff us on our ability to pay similar money to the next coach? Would it take lots of time to recuperate all that money, to get us back up to the current support level for the program? 

I posted a thread a month ago saying we should hope for Gus to turn it around. Now I don't know what to hope for. What an awful contract and situation.

I know I DO hope President Leath is fired at the very least.  

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Lots of season remains. I think if Gus wins 7 or more he's safe regardless. But let's assume he doesn't.

I wouldn't want him coaching the program anymore. But strangely enough, I'd hate to see him fired because it would be so demoralizing to reward him with $31 million for failing. Wouldn't it also handcuff us on our ability to pay similar money to the next coach? Would it take lots of time to recuperate all that money, to get us back up to the current support level for the program? 

I posted a thread a month ago saying we should hope for Gus to turn it around. Now I don't know what to hope for. What an awful contract and situation.

I know I DO hope President Leath is fired at the very least.  

I hope Dr. Leath is held accountable in an appropriate manner for someone who stepped far outside their realm of expertise and signed an average HC to an expensive seven year extension, with virtually all of the money guaranteed, thereby handcuffing the incoming AD when it comes to managing a possible fallout, that has now occurred.

We can't come up with the buyout after this season, unless some rich guys pony up big time, but then they'd want a say-so in who we hired next.

As much as I hate to say it, we had better just resign ourselves to having Gus next year, and we had better make a lot of noise about hiring Freeze or baby Briles as OC.  I don't know how much fan expectations play into such hires, but it can't hurt if we let our voice be heard.  I guess.

16 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I hope Dr. Leath is held accountable in an appropriate manner for someone who stepped far outside their realm of expertise and signed an average HC to an expensive seven year extension, with virtually all of the money guaranteed, thereby handcuffing the incoming AD when it comes to managing a possible fallout, that has now occurred.

We can't come up with the buyout after this season, unless some rich guys pony up big time, but then they'd want a say-so in who we hired next.

As much as I hate to say it, we had better just resign ourselves to having Gus next year, and we had better make a lot of noise about hiring Freeze or baby Briles as OC.  I don't know how much fan expectations play into such hires, but it can't hurt if we let our voice be heard.  I guess.

what about luring Phil Longo from Ole Miss with a guaranteed nice contract to come to Auburn regardless if Gus stays or leaves. He has a prolific offense and one that could flourish at Auburn over OM.

I don’t see any scenario where he leaves this year regardless of the current mess he is putting on the field.  Probably not even next year. The buyout is going to have to go way down.  I do think he will probably make changes in the offensive coaching staff.  It’s hard to believe any head coach couldn’t  see this issue coming with the O line.  

Archived