Don't Fire Gus Malzahn

SKIPPER_01

Everything else has been already. Hear me on this...

Gus is stuck in this contract just like we are. 

Obviously. He is adapting slower than we want. Probably due to his ego that his offensive system is great and he is smarter than everyone.

During '15 & '16, we forced him to change OC and let go of playcalling. He has not genuinely done that. He is the most stubborn coach I've seen. I can't listen to him talk anymore.

I say, Don't fire him. Don't offer him the easy way out...while costing AU millions. This will answer a lot of questions. Buying him out answers nothing.

If he is going to be this stubborn, I want to see him humiliated on the sidelines. I don't care if we lose every game, I want to see what kind of human Gus Malzahn is.

You got two options Mr. Gus Malzahn.

1. Win

2. Lose

Either way, you are stuck on Auburn's sideline.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked for a company that had that same philosophy.  It went into bankruptcy twice before it healed itself.  It took years to recover.  Auburn doesn’t need to engage in a power play with a coach with an ego, it has the upper hand regardless of the buyout.  He put us over a barrel once, don’t let him do it again.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

No that’s just stupid and petty. 

Maybe so, but we would find out what Gus is made of.

Right now, the fan base is split.

I want the question answered.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I worked for a company that had that same philosophy.  It went into bankruptcy twice before it healed itself.  It took years to recover.  Auburn doesn’t need to engage in a power play with a coach with an ego, it has the upper hand regardless of the buyout.  He put us over a barrel once, don’t let him do it again.

That is the question, will Gus go into "bankruptcy" before he heals himself?

Or can he adapt and fix things?

I want to know the answer and firing does nothing.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

No that’s just stupid and petty. 

It's what message boards are made for, and fruit....need more fruit pictures.

Just now, hikerdns said:

It's what message boards are made for, and fruit....need more fruit pictures.

Lol.

17 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Everything else has been already. Hear me on this...

Gus is stuck in this contract just like we are. 

Obviously. He is adapting slower than we want. Probably due to his ego that his offensive system is great and he is smarter than everyone.

He’s not adapting at all and there lies your problem...  Bye bye, Gus!

1 minute ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

I’m not talking about the employee here (Gus). I’m talking about the company (Auburn) that went into bankruptcy. The longer we let Gus run this ship, the longer it will take for Auburn to recover is my point.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

What purpose would humiliating Gus serve?  Auburn would be humiliating itself by adopting such a vindictive posture.

I didn't say exactly I want him humiliated.  I said, IF he is going to continue to be so stubborn, then I want him humiliated.

I want him coach better and I want to find out if he can. That's what Auburn is paying for. Firing him now is a bad move, imo.

Find someone who has a passion for the game as much as the players do and let them change the culture. The longer we hang on to him, the longer we will suffer as a program. He will get paid regardless of the outcome. 

7 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Let him show you the answer someplace else.  We know all we need to know about Gus.  Even if we keep him and his coaching improves, his relationship with a good portion of the fan base is never going to be healed, short of him going on a dinky-like run of NCs.  And I don't ever see a natty in Gus' future as a HC.

No I am sorry but 'imagining' Gus' humiliation after his record goes negative is not worth the indigestion millions of AU grads and fans will have to keep enduring.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m not talking about the employee here (Gus). I’m talking about the company (Auburn) that went into bankruptcy. The longer we let Gus run this ship, the longer it will take for Auburn to recover is my point.

This is option 3. AU spends $60M, with no guarantee the next coach works out, and we learn nothing about Gus.

Firing Gus after this season is a bad move.

1 minute ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

This is option 3. AU spends $60M, with no guarantee the next coach works out, and we learn nothing about Gus.

Firing Gus after this season is a bad move.

We know all we need to know about Gus.  I would vote to get rid of him after the season, but I don’t have any input to the decision the BOT have to make.  Time will tell.

Finishing this season will tell a lot about our coaching staff. Theres a chance we lose all but 1 game but there is also a chance that we win all but 1. I believe the former is more likely than the latter. IMO, the offensive side of the staff needs a total overhaul.

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

There is no way we will fire him this year, even if we lose every remaining game (including liberty). 

According to some very connected posters on this site and others, the odds are increasingly likely that he is gone, especially if we end up 5-7.

How do you humiliate a guy who is contracted for multi-millions? He's got a scheme. He thinks with the right players, execution, whatever...no amount of opposing coaching, talent, superior preparation or film can defeat his script. Losing games hasn't phased this so far, I don't think it will going forward. Meanwhile, we lose more ground in recruiting and the empty seats will start to increase. 

If this guy can't turn things around, I don't see how you don't lose more keeping him than you do looking elsewhere. 

Archived