Coach Gus

AUJedi

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus is the Kodak of CFB coaches. 

Film is just as good as digital if the print shop just executes. 

Even Saban adapts. Obviously coaches don’t need to throw out all their principles, standards, techniques, and philosophies but they do need to attempt to stay ahead of the curve. Sports are CONSTANTLY changing and teams/coaches who can’t keep up have been shown to consistently fall behind. Just look at changes in style of play of the big 3 pro sports- MLB, NFL, NBA- over the past decade.

3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

What we haven't done is recruited to our needs. We haven't built a program

This my biggest problem with Gus, he just doesn't recruit for needs. He just gets the best(in his mind)player he can get to sign.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

This my biggest problem with Gus, he just doesn't recruit for needs. He just gets the best(in his mind)player he can get to sign.

or they star chase instead of football player chase

5 hours ago, AUJedi said:

Everyone thinks of someone like Rain Man when you mention autism, but autism has a broad spectrum.

Gus is more like Sheldon on Big Bang theory, but not as smart, and slightly less socially awkward.

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Steven Leath, with support of a few influential boosters (although other influential boosters were adamant that Leath shouldn't be the one handling this negotiation because of his lack of experience in this particular realm). Honestly, Gus took Auburn Athletics at its absolute most vulnerable time, and that, more than anything, is what gets me heated about this deal. 

FWIW, I posted this before a prominent beat writer on another message board posted more elaborate thoughts on this. Didn’t want the mods here to think I paraphrased and stole this info from there. 

29 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Gus is more like Sheldon on Big Bang theory, but not as smart, and slightly less socially awkward.

Apparently not NEARLY as smart (but seems to THINK he is) and only SLIGHTLY less socially awkward is correct...

6 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

I've thought this for a while.    He can still succeed if someone can convince him to let go of the offensive reigns and let the OC (whoever it is) coach.   Much like the defense the Gus doens't know well and lets Steele handle.    

" Trying to win with a philosophy meant to succeed off miscues and timing will only take you so far in this league and there's a lot of film on us now. "

I think this can still win in this league and is frankly our best option.    We're not going to line up head-to-head with the top of this league and just knock them off the ball.    It's just that now Gus has forgotten what he knows and is trying to do something with the wrong personnel for his system.   Our OL will never be able to blow people off the ball but could be good enough to get angles and shields if you had a true runner at QB to keep D's guessing.     It's really been that way the whole time he's been here.     As it is, our OL gets trucked and the QB ducks and chucks.     Hey, our new motto "Truck, Duck and Chuck"!

I think I would change the motto to "Duck, Chuck and Truck"! I like it!

Wow. Can we not assume someone's coaching deficiencies are due to Asperger's?

If one of you are on the coaching staff, which spends tons of time around the guy then okay. But I'll go out on a limb here and say it's less mental illness and more ego.

Archived