Coach Ryan Russell

tigerman1186

4 hours ago, chimes said:

456CB0DC-D834-49DB-AC42-038126701F0C.jpeg

Dont know anything about him but this is the guy I want roaming our sideline. Noticed him a few weeks ago and now have a new role model in life.

This pic will cause GWill to develop another man crush.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather Malzahn is fired or not, Ryan Russell to be fired. Guys on offense and defense seem to running out of energy and huffing and puffing with their hands on their knew by mid way through the 3rd quaerter. This tell me guys are not shape. Other teams I watch on Saturday don't seem to have that problem. Russall working our guys into shape in the weight room during season and during the off season. How much are we paying Ryan?

I wondered this same thing, equating this to a hitting (or pitching) coach in baseball, hard to judge without first hand knowledge.  The obligatory Google search produces one article from Pat Dye that gives Russell two thumbs up and speaks to the players having great respect for him.  I won't go there with the Updyke comparison, but if you watch Georgia they are clearly more physically dominant than we are.  Linemen yes, but also compare the way their backs run versus our guys.  You almost never see their guys go down at initial contact...lower body strength is nowhere close.

For what it's worth, the Dye article is here > https://scout.com/college/auburn/Article/Dye-Gest-Column-Strength-Coach-Ryan-Russell-A-Positive-for-Auburn-Football-120468540/

*Bammer comparison alert*

Bammer's running backs often look as jacked up as Auburn's defensive linemen...

10 hours ago, chimes said:

Dont know anything about him but this is the guy I want roaming our sideline. Noticed him a few weeks ago and now have a new role model in life.

He looks like Pierce Brosnan and Thor had a baby and fed it steroid milk for 40 years. 

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

*Bammer comparison alert*

Bammer's running backs often look as jacked up as Auburn's defensive linemen...

This and even Tennessee had thicker backs. I love our RBs and our OL has made it hard to judge them but none of them are built like Forunette, Gurley, Lacey, Harris, Guice, and so on and so on. 

God I miss Kerryon he wasn’t bulky but he was shifty enough to really carry the team.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

...until Gus killed him and he couldn't.

Image result for kerryon johnson injury

Yup while simultaneously not developing the younger backs. 

We're blaming the Strength and Conditioning coach now?  Good grief people, the problem is nowhere close to that.  Ryan Russell has been nothing but phenomenal for our program.

As some people noted on this thread, there are factors here other than bench press.  Talent level (Horton's tape this year is absolutely horrible) and unimaginative play calling come to mind immediately.

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yup while simultaneously not developing the younger backs. 

A trait that continues today.

I will agree that our players lack in the strength department and due to that they also lack some in the size department but that is only part of it.  If you watch the types of workouts these guys go through it is much more about explosiveness and quickness than raw strength.

An example would be a Guard that has incredible strength numbers in the major Olympic lifts.  He also looks the part.  The problem is when you ask him to pull on a run play or when he needs to have quick feet to pick up a blitz he fails.  Bama runs a different offense and blocking scheme where their OL are not asked to do as much of that.  A Zone blocking scheme like we use requires a good bit of movement as you are not always just blocking the guy across from you.

My son just turned 13 and is 125 pounds soaking wet.  He plays Guard on his team and is outsized by a good amount with every kid he faces.  Our RB is 2" taller and outweighs him by 20 pounds.  He is successful because of technique, leverage, footwork, and most importantly a vast knowledge of what size shoe I wear lol.  

I wish all of our guys along the OL looked like Braden Smith but I also know that Bama's, Iowa's, and UGA's OL would not do so well in our system.  If we were running a Pro Style Offense or primarily lining up in the I-Formation I would agree with everyone about our strength coach but we are not and Olympic lift strength is not what Gus is asking Russell to achieve.

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I will agree that our players lack in the strength department and due to that they also lack some in the size department but that is only part of it.  If you watch the types of workouts these guys go through it is much more about explosiveness and quickness than raw strength.

An example would be a Guard that has incredible strength numbers in the major Olympic lifts.  He also looks the part.  The problem is when you ask him to pull on a run play or when he needs to have quick feet to pick up a blitz he fails.  Bama runs a different offense and blocking scheme where their OL are not asked to do as much of that.  A Zone blocking scheme like we use requires a good bit of movement as you are not always just blocking the guy across from you.

My son just turned 13 and is 125 pounds soaking wet.  He plays Guard on his team and is outsized by a good amount with every kid he faces.  Our RB is 2" taller and outweighs him by 20 pounds.  He is successful because of technique, leverage, footwork, and most importantly a vast knowledge of what size shoe I wear lol.  

I wish all of our guys along the OL looked like Braden Smith but I also know that Bama's, Iowa's, and UGA's OL would not do so well in our system.  If we were running a Pro Style Offense or primarily lining up in the I-Formation I would agree with everyone about our strength coach but we are not and Olympic lift strength is not what Gus is asking Russell to achieve.

So, to sum up...

Auburn's running the wrong Offense.

I have wondered the same thing for a few years now. Why are our guys so under size compared to alabama. Their guys are ripped and ours still look like a high school kid and they have been their 2 or 3 years.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:06 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I've long said we needed a change there. Russell learned his craft from Yox. We have had whats seemed like basically the same S&C program since Tubs. Our players are consistently smaller than our rivals. I know everyone likes saying Bama juices, but if it were just that, we wouldn't be consistently smaller than LSU and UGA also. 

That's a change that I feel is long over due. I've posted about it for years

Nothing personal, but your assumption is 100% wrong. Russell brought new science and training modalities into Yox's old school approach to S&C. I know bc of the struggles we're seeing on the field the tendency would be "I'd give anything to have Yox's old training style back", but believe me when I say Coach Russell has more knowledge and understanding of how individual human bodies work/perform than Yox by an exponential value. The bottom line with this particular discussion (OL) is that you can only do so much with DNA and our OL's DNA isn't up to par. That's a recruiting issue not a training issue. Russell has one of the more solid, science based training programs in the country. He uses a "phase" system where players can only advance to the next phase of more dynamic lifts by testing out with strength & speed in specific movements based on what they should be able to do with their body weight. Our problems are 100% schematic, which is to agree with some posters noting that although we stink, we have a pretty solid culture with kids that have character. It isn't our S&C program, with the exception of the OL it isn't talent, it isn't lack of program standards and values, it's our Head Coach's (in)ability to adapt his offensive scheme, and overall decision making, with the players he has available. And since that is the essence of being a good coach, GM is failing. 

On 10/18/2018 at 8:27 AM, chimes said:

Suck to have that guy as a get back coach. Ultimate wedgies for days.

2 hours ago, theallseeingfan said:

Nothing personal, but your assumption is 100% wrong. Russell brought new science and training modalities into Yox's old school approach to S&C. I know bc of the struggles we're seeing on the field the tendency would be "I'd give anything to have Yox's old training style back", but believe me when I say Coach Russell has more knowledge and understanding of how individual human bodies work/perform than Yox by an exponential value. The bottom line with this particular discussion (OL) is that you can only do so much with DNA and our OL's DNA isn't up to par. That's a recruiting issue not a training issue. Russell has one of the more solid, science based training programs in the country. He uses a "phase" system where players can only advance to the next phase of more dynamic lifts by testing out with strength & speed in specific movements based on what they should be able to do with their body weight. Our problems are 100% schematic, which is to agree with some posters noting that although we stink, we have a pretty solid culture with kids that have character. It isn't our S&C program, with the exception of the OL it isn't talent, it isn't lack of program standards and values, it's our Head Coach's (in)ability to adapt his offensive scheme, and overall decision making, with the players he has available. And since that is the essence of being a good coach, GM is failing. 

Very well said. Sadly, again higlighting the true underlying problem. Thanks for sharing the detail on Coach Russell's training method. Interesting stuff!

On 10/17/2018 at 10:20 PM, tigerman1186 said:

It seems one major problem is the overall strength of our offensive lineman....many times our lineman are getting blown up and Coach Grimes has stated that some of the reserves aren't strong enough to play yet...since a lot of our lineman have been through at least 2 years and some 3, you would believe strength wouldn't be an issue...my question concerns Coach Russell who is our strength and condition coach, is he really getting our players SEC ready??? Maybe it is time for a change here....

He works for Gus and builds them the way Gus wants them  Let's not start splitting hairs and looking for scapegoats.

On 10/19/2018 at 4:50 PM, AUsince72 said:

So, to sum up...

Auburn's running the wrong Offense.

YES!

Pretty positive I remember reading something where Corey Grant said he was shocked at the difference in the S&C programs between AU and his time at Bama. Whether that’s on Gus or on Ryan Russell, I don’t know. But there’s definitely a noticeable difference

On 10/19/2018 at 9:24 PM, theallseeingfan said:

Russell has one of the more solid, science based training programs in the country. He uses a "phase" system where players can only advance to the next phase of more dynamic lifts by testing out with strength & speed in specific movements based on what they should be able to do with their body weight

That's great but it doesn't seem to be producing results on the football field.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

That's great but it doesn't seem to be producing results on the football field.

That's fair. But looking back to the UGA and Bama games last year, did it look like we were behind them in strength and conditioning programming? My point (and opinion) is that what we're seeing this year with regards to on field results has way more to do with bad schemes & talent/recruiting deficiencies at certain (and very important) positions, most notably the OL.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:24 AM, vatz22au said:

We're blaming the Strength and Conditioning coach now?  Good grief people, the problem is nowhere close to that.  Ryan Russell has been nothing but phenomenal for our program.

As some people noted on this thread, there are factors here other than bench press.  Talent level (Horton's tape this year is absolutely horrible) and unimaginative play calling come to mind immediately.

Exactly..blaming S&C now? I mean Auburn’s best running back was a 2 star throw in on signing day. Malik bless is heart does not have the speed to be effective outside of two yards. 2 Freshman and a undefined scat back. Auburn has missed big in the RB recruiting dept, less Kerryon. Maybe Horton needs to grind a little harder on the recruiting trail. The line IMO is just soft, they don’t have that mean streak like Braden and Austin had last year. They just gotta grow up as a functional unit. But in the mean time it’s the coaching staffs responsibility to find out what they can do well consistently and build on it each game. 

I don't know coach Russell nor much about him, but I hope no one is complaining about him unless they know for sure that he is not doing his job. He is coaching the defense just as he is the offense and he seems to be doing a great job with the defense. You need to be very sure of your facts before you criticize someone. I just don't think he can be doing such a good job with the defense and yet be blamed for the downfall of the offense.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:13 PM, Tiger said:

I thought he fired Ellis Johnson at the right time and that Muschamp and crew was a great hire. Then replacing him with Steele turned out to be maybe the best hire of his career. Without hiring Steele, who knows where Gus is coaching now.

I just don’t get all the love for CKS.    If everyone would apply the same logic that they apply to Gus and apply it to Steele,  then the answer is he has coached just as bad as Gus.   If you take talent at each level of the team and compare(example dline vs oline) the defense wins out on who has the most talent on the team.    So why are we giving the pass to Steele???   I will go out on the limb and say that the defense has been the reason for the 3 losses and the play of the quarterback.     Auburn’s defense took two of the worst quarterbacks in the conference and turned them into players of the week.   They even made Burrow look decent plus the officials.    

Archived