Coach Ryan Russell

tigerman1186

It seems one major problem is the overall strength of our offensive lineman....many times our lineman are getting blown up and Coach Grimes has stated that some of the reserves aren't strong enough to play yet...since a lot of our lineman have been through at least 2 years and some 3, you would believe strength wouldn't be an issue...my question concerns Coach Russell who is our strength and condition coach, is he really getting our players SEC ready??? Maybe it is time for a change here....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That may be part of it , but I truly believe that we are so predictable on offense with a stationary qb and no run game... so basically teams are just bull rushing the qb with no threat of the ball going by them. 

I've questioned the S&C of the OLine in a couple other threads the last few weeks.

I personally believe it's poor technique.  I've also been highly aggravated at the passive stances that they're apparently taught.  Usually 2 point pass-pro stance, even on run plays.  Hard to get low & good leverage when you start back on your heels.

Very basic Line Play 101 IMO.

12 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

It seems one major problem is the overall strength of our offensive lineman....many times our lineman are getting blown up and Coach Grimes has stated that some of the reserves aren't strong enough to play yet...since a lot of our lineman have been through at least 2 years and some 3, you would believe strength wouldn't be an issue...my question concerns Coach Russell who is our strength and condition coach, is he really getting our players SEC ready??? Maybe it is time for a change here....

Defensive players haven’t seemed affected 

The TALENT of said OL is the issue here.

42 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Coach Russell

I've long said we needed a change there. Russell learned his craft from Yox. We have had whats seemed like basically the same S&C program since Tubs. Our players are consistently smaller than our rivals. I know everyone likes saying Bama juices, but if it were just that, we wouldn't be consistently smaller than LSU and UGA also. 

That's a change that I feel is long over due. I've posted about it for years

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I've long said we needed a change there. Russell learned his craft from Yox. We have had whats seemed like basically the same S&C program since Tubs. Our players are consistently smaller than our rivals. I know everyone likes saying Bama juices, but if it were just that, we wouldn't be consistently smaller than LSU and UGA also. 

That's a change that I feel is long over due. I've posted about it for years

Agreed, seems like I’ve heard these discussions before...right before a different head coach bit the dust...

There's only one way to fix our problems and it's not Chip, Russell, Grimes or any of the other scapegoats. If they don't replace the HC, there's no sense in making ANY moves. It's just window dressing otherwise.

1 minute ago, CR said:

There's only one way to fix our problems and it's not Chip, Russell, Grimes or any of the other scapegoats. If they don't replace the HC, there's no sense in making ANY moves. It's just window dressing otherwise.

Where is the retweet button because THIS!

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I've questioned the S&C of the OLine in a couple other threads the last few weeks.

I personally believe it's poor technique.  I've also been highly aggravated at the passive stances that they're apparently taught.  Usually 2 point pass-pro stance, even on run plays.  Hard to get low & good leverage when you start back on your heels.

Very basic Line Play 101 IMO.

As I posted elsewhere, alot of the credit being given to the improvements on the Texas line have to do with their S&C coach.

This could be part of some many things . As fans we are all trying to diagnose the issues . You could point to inexperience , strength and conditioning, mental toughness , coaching , facilities. To echo what another poster said Grimes mentioned we had players on the line who were weak , but they had been at AU for a few years . If I had resources like these kids had in college in two years I would be an athletic freak . Even though im a dad , husband and have term life life insurance. 

not all guys are as strong  or have the potential to be as strong as others.   This is the same a quickness and speed.  There is only so much a S&C coach can do without other means.

I truly believe that Bama has a system in place where they only sign guys that are truly athletes that they believe still have a lot of upside.  Most importantly tho, if they miss on someone they recruit so well it doesn’t matter as they have others.    

7 minutes ago, sportstiger said:

The biggest problem is not S&C it's that the opposing defense  knows where the ball is going because of the formation and players in said formation. To predictable!!! 

If the opponent is reading your offense like a book, they're already 2 steps ahead of you >>>>  #1 Mentally and #2 Physically and when this happens over and over and over even the weakest opponent can dominate you.

I do know a thrower on Alabama's track team took 440 pounds and power cleaned it from his waist, that is impressive and no one on our football team comes close to that. My son threw discus at an SEC school and "only" weighed 240 pounds but his lift's were as good or better than the numbers I've seen for our FB team. 

1 hour ago, lala said:

not all guys are as strong  or have the potential to be as strong as others.   This is the same a quickness and speed.  There is only so much a S&C coach can do without other means.

I truly believe that Bama has a system in place where they only sign guys that are truly athletes that they believe still have a lot of upside.  Most importantly tho, if they miss on someone they recruit so well it doesn’t matter as they have others.    

If you watch some of McKnight's video's you will see he addresses that issue. He is about position specificity.

Guys first gig was under Les Miles at Oklahoma State, he also worked for Paul Rhodes at Iowa State and Todd Graham while he was at Rice.

I agree that Alabama due to their recruiting doesn't run into as many "physical" limitations that many program potentially can.

I didn't like the idea of bringing any Arky State assistants with him. From Rhett to Russell. 

You don't bring mid-major guys over to the SEC when you move up. You poach coaches from other P5 schools.

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I didn't like the idea of bringing any Arky State assistants with him. From Rhett to Russell. 

You don't bring mid-major guys over to the SEC when you move up. You poach coaches from other P5 schools.

If nothing else Gus can be criticized for bad hiring decisions overall.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

If nothing else Gus can be criticized for bad hiring decisions overall.

Couldn't agree more on offense. He has done a bang up job fixing the defense and hiring the proper assistants though. I don't know how involved he is with that process but ultimately it's his responsibility.

But our staff on O is totally amateur hour.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Couldn't agree more on offense. He has done a bang up job fixing the defense and hiring the proper assistants though. I don't know how involved he is with that process but ultimately it's his responsibility.

But our staff on O is totally amateur hour.

Even on defense it took quite some time  for him to hit the nail on the head.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Even on defense it took quite some time  for him to hit the nail on the head.

I thought he fired Ellis Johnson at the right time and that Muschamp and crew was a great hire. Then replacing him with Steele turned out to be maybe the best hire of his career. Without hiring Steele, who knows where Gus is coaching now.

Archived