One & Done In Effect Til 2022 At Minimum

AU64

Just read that NBA plans no changes until at least 2022 and who can blame them.    Colleges will continue to do the first level of sorting "contenders" from "pretenders" among top rated HS and AAU players and NBA owners will save themselves lots of money in the process. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-will-not-abolish-one-done-rule-least-2022-184455870.html

JMO but that's bad for college basketball and NCAA needs to do something to counter the issue. ...

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but that's bad for college basketball and NCAA needs to do something to counter the issue. ...

1. What do you expect or think the NCAA could even do? The rules for every sport on how long players have to be out of high school before going pro is determined by every sports' professional organizations as it should be.

2. How is it bad for college basketball? The NCAA makes & will continue to make their money on the the NCAA Tourney regardless. Further, some people don't watch pro ball. I'm one of them. I'd rather see the best 17-19 years olds in the world 1 year instead of not at all.

• ellitor changed the title to One & Done In Effect Til 2022 At Minimum

My preference is 3 year college, but I think 2 and done would be a good compromise.  Give players a chance to mature physically and mentally for the life that comes with being in the NBA. I matured the most my sophomore year of college.  It will also provide better play overall in college and NBA IMO.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

1. What do you expect or think the NCAA could even do? The rules for every sport on how long players have to be out of high school before going pro is determined by every sports' professional organizations as it should be.

2. How is it bad for college basketball? The NCAA makes & will continue to make their money on the the NCAA Tourney regardless. Further, some people don't watch pro ball. I'm one of them. I'd rather see the best 17-19 years olds in the world 1 year instead of not at all.S

A couple possibilities were suggested by the recent report from the basketball committee....look 'em up.  But NCAA could make it inconvenient in a number of ways.

JMO but the one and done has created a big imbalance in college basketball and kids (and mentors/parents/agents, etc. are swarming around these guys trying to buy influence.    And you are seeing these  17-19  before the ever reach anything near their potential   If like me, and prefer college basketball, you should be hoping to see these guys after they have played for your school two or three years …..have improved their skills and become part of your team instead of just a guy who views his college "career" as an audition for the NBA draft.    The money will be there if the guy is for real....and colleges are still about education...or should be. 

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The G league is offering 125,000 dollar  “select contracts” to the elite HS athletes though. 

And now tbe WNBA is upset. The max contract right now in their professional world is 115,000 dollars. 

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And now tbe WNBA is upset. The max contract right now in their professional world is 115,000 dollars. 

We gonna get into a fight over equal pay for equal work?   I guess NBA is subsidizing both leagues ….but more likely someone sees it as a chance to get raises for the WNBA players by raising the complaint. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We gonna get into a fight over equal pay for equal work?

Not unless you want to. The WNBA isn’t in demand because their sport sucks and none of their players deserve the money. That’s my unfiltered opinion.

There is a reason why female models make more money than the male models, and it bas nothing to do with sexism. 

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Not unless you want to. The WNBA isn’t in demand because their sport sucks and none of their players deserve the money. That’s my unfiltered opinion.

There is a reason why female models make more money than the male models, and it bas nothing to do with sexism. 

Not me....but I'm betting WNBA will do that.  NBA is subsidizing both leagues and I just betting that the pay differential will be an issue.....and of course NBA will have to comply. ...since as you suggest, the league is probably not financially self-supporting at the moment.

As for the G League.....the opening salary is not bad for about half a year's work plus the good exposure to NBA teams and coaches, and better still....no  8 AM classes or the problems of finding someone to write your term papers,  etc..    JMO but it is a far better deal than spending ten months or less on some college campus having to pretend you are a college student. 

Archived