Hill accepts Schwartz's race challenge

aubiefifty

NFL receiver Tyreek Hill accepts Auburn speedster Anthony Schwartz's race challenge

Updated Oct 18, 12:55 PM; Posted Oct 18, 12:55 PM

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

One of the fastest players in college football wants to go toe-to-toe with one of the fastest receivers in the NFL.

Auburn freshman receiver Anthony Schwartz issued a challenge on Twitter this week to Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill, asking the speedy pro, "when we racing?" Two days later, Hill responded.

"Link up," Hill tweeted on Thursday afternoon.

So, could we see the two sprinters race sometime in the offseason? It seems likely, and it would make for an entertaining footrace.

Hill is among the fastest players in the NFL (his Twitter handle is @cheetah for a reason), with the New York Times earlier this year citing Sportradar data that had him hitting a top speed of 21.64 mph with the ball in his hands last season -- which was behind only Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette, Rams running back Todd Gurley and 49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin for top speed from scrimmage.

The Chiefs receiver, like Schwartz, has a track background as well. Hill's personal best in the 100-meter is 10.19 seconds in 2012 while in high school. That time is slower than what Schwartz, a 2020 Olympic hopeful, ran as a high school senior, when he clocked a 10.07 in the 100m during the Florida state meet. Schwartz also set a youth world-record time of 10.15 at the 2017 Florida Relays in high school.

Auburn's freshman speedster, known as Flash, also recorded the nation's fastest wind-legal time in the 100 this year at 10.09 seconds in the Great Southwest Classic, which ranks No. 4 all-time in the nation's prep track history. Hill's fastest wind-aided time was 9.98 seconds at the 2013 Hutchinson NJCCA Championships.

Gus Malzahn acknowledges need to get Schwartz more touches

Anthony Schwartz averages 16.7 yards per touch on offense but averages just three opportunities per game.

Schwartz, who has become an explosive weapon for Auburn this season, owns the owns the fourth-, sixth-, eighth- (10.16), ninth- (10.17) and 13th-best (10.21) 100-meter times in American high school track history.

"Football fast is just more getting to top speed quicker," Schwartz said last month, "and track speed is more of gradually getting to it faster."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

So many comments but I refuse to say anything even seemingly derogatory about a current players play on the field. Let's just get the ball to Flash.

It seems the coaching staff has to get desperate before we think outside the box.  For example; during the bowl game against UCF we were losing by a couple of TDs in the second half and we start throwing the ball to White Lightning with success.  In fact, the UCF defense took a while adjust. I don’t know whose idea it was to throw to him, but it worked. Too bad the decision wasn’t made earlier.

Maybe we’re that desperate now and we get Flash more involved.  One can hope. 

1 hour ago, AUcivE09 said:

So many comments but I refuse to say anything even seemingly derogatory about a current players play on the field. Let's just get the ball to Flash.

Huh?

Just doubling his touches to six would probably open up others for better gains. He’s not just fast he’s a damn football player. I have said before, he could end up being the best we’ve ever had. 

I remember when he committed/signed and everyone was talking about how fast he was. I shrugged it off and thought “yeah but this is big time D1 football, everyone is fast. Dude is in for a rude awakening.” 

The second he caught that ball last Saturday and broke the initial tackle I immediately thought “OK this is Schwartz, let’s see what he’s got.” After about 2 or 3 steps I thought “He’s gone. My God that kid is fast”. It was crystal clear he was going to outrun that safety even though the safety had 3 or 4 steps on him and the angle. Not sure what it looked like on tv but it was absolutely unreal in person. 

16 minutes ago, chimes said:

I remember when he committed/signed and everyone was talking about how fast he was. I shrugged it off and thought “yeah but this is big time D1 football, everyone is fast. Dude is in for a rude awakening.” 

The second he caught that ball last Saturday and broke the initial tackle I immediately thought “OK this is Schwartz, let’s see what he’s got.” After about 2 or 3 steps I thought “He’s gone. My God that kid is fast”. It was crystal clear he was going to outrun that safety even though the safety had 3 or 4 steps on him and the angle. Not sure what it looked like on tv but it was absolutely unreal in person. 

On TV it looked about the same as you described, but when he first caught the ball and broke the tackle I was waiting for defensive help since there was a limited view.  Once the view widened, you saw Flash take a hesitation step and saw the safety enter the screen.  Then the jaw dropped as he accelerated past him.  Had to watch the replay just to make sure of what I just witnessed.

20 minutes ago, chimes said:

I had similar thoughts but my concern was not about speed. My concern was John Franklin. IOW He’s fast but probably not a football player or don’t really fit into a position. But hell this dude can play!

For all of Gus's faults, he put OMac and Grant to very, very good use while they were here. I expected one of Schwartz or Shivers, or maybe even both to flourish in a similar role, especially with Stove out. Very pleased to see how much more Schwartz can do. (And I think we'll see Shivers do some very special things once the circumstances around him change, too.)

29 minutes ago, chimes said:

If I am not mistaken he even stutter stepped which you would figure may slow you a bit.......man he's quick......and I thought Tim Carter was fast.

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

If I am not mistaken he even stutter stepped which you would figure may slow you a bit.......man he's quick......and I thought Tim Carter was fast.

You’re exactly right- he accelerated past the safety from almost standing still. And Tim Carter was exactly who came to mind while I was posting about  AS

4 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Yeah that stutter step then subsequent blow by left me stunned. 

*Quick reminder that Shivers is almost as fast*

Right now is the darkness before the dawn, as my good friend* Warren Haynes might say.

*I've never met Warren Haynes and I never will. He has no knowledge of my existence. But he can't stop me from calling him my good friend. 

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

That wasn't a stutter step, that was the earth trying to catch up.

8 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I'd love to see a 100M race between Hollywood Brown, Mecole Hardman and Anthony Schwartz. 

Those dudes are fast, but I'd put my money on Schwartz to win easily. He's run the fastest U20 100m time in the WORLD this year.

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

*Quick reminder that Shivers is almost as fast*

Right now is the darkness before the dawn, as my good friend* Warren Haynes might say.

*I've never met Warren Haynes and I never will. He has no knowledge of my existence. But he can't stop me from calling him my good friend. 

Also a reminder that Iggy isn’t much slower lol

We have speed. Just have to get those guys in space. Watching how KC uses TH was interesting. If they saw he was in man coverage he ran a deep “drag” route and the corner couldn’t physically keep up with him. 

On 10/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, tigermac said:

Those dudes are fast, but I'd put my money on Schwartz to win easily. He's run the fastest U20 100m time in the WORLD this year.

Right but have Brown and Hardman ever competed in track?

Hill is a stud. I like how he gets what he can and then gets out if bounds.  Kareem is too. Amazing what the smaller schools can offer. 

Archived