5. Wiley - McLemore - Spencer - Okeke

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Y'all think this looks about right? 

1. Harper - McCormick - Doughty - Brown
2. Brown - Doughty - McCormick - Purifoy 
3. Purifoy - Dunbar - Doughty - Okeke
4. Okeke - Spencer - McLemore - Purifoy

I'd prefer to see Mac starting at the 4 and bringing in Chuma with the 2nd group.  

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd prefer to see Mac starting at the 4 and bringing in Chuma with the 2nd group.  

I wouldn't put Mac anywhere but 5 if I can help it, personally. He'll see minutes at 4, but his minutes should mostly come at the 5. Chuma is more versatile. Better with the ball on the floor and a better shooter. 

Anfernee's best defensive attribute is his shot blocking. He's a rim protector. Putting him on the perimeter will take him away from the basket, and who knows how he'll hold up out there when matched up with twitchy stretch 4s. Better to play to his strengths.

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I know everyone loves Mac and I do too, but Chuma is the quintessential 4 for Bruce’s system. Mac would really really really have to improve his ball hanfling and mid range game to be a 4 for Bruce.

as for the rotation. I think Doughty will wind up being both the backup pg and Sg. I don’t see McCormick getting too many minutes but I could be wrong 

I think any time that McLemore spends at the 4 will be directly related to whether Wiley can stay out of foul trouble and getting the majority of the minutes, and not sure Pearl will commit to playing big with both Wiley and McLemore in the line-up together.

7 minutes ago, waaegl said:

I think any time that McLemore spends at the 4 will be directly related to whether Wiley can stay out of foul trouble and getting the majority of the minutes, and not sure Pearl will commit to playing big with both Wiley and McLemore in the line-up together.

I seriously doubt you see much of Mac and Wiley on the court together at all. Mac just can't do much of what Bruce expects out of his point forward. At least we haven't seen it yet. And Chuma is actually "bigger" than Mac as well so it's not like he's giving up size. Love love love love Mac though. But he's  a rim defender/shot blocker. He'd have to show that he can be a perimeter defender if he wanted to play the four and we haven't seen that yet.

18 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

as for the rotation. I think Doughty will wind up being both the backup pg and Sg. I don’t see McCormick getting too many minutes but I could be wrong 

I get the feeling that will eventually be the case too after everything settles in, but I hope McCormick surprises us and ends up being a strong contributor rather than a warm body to spell people at guard when needed. 

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

I get the feeling that will eventually be the case too after everything settles in, but I hope McCormick surprises us and ends up being a strong contributor rather than a warm body to spell people at guard when needed. 

Yeah. I get the impression that McCormick will be fine. I just keep hearing that Doughty is just too good to keep off the floor. He's the guy I'm most excited to see this year

Actually the point forward in the past that Pearl has used has been 3's. He wasn't used 4 guys as " point forwards" and to be honest chuma doesn't have a handle like that. He is a great passer though. A great defender as well. And when pearl actually used "point" forwards the most was because his biggest scoring threats were at the 1. Which isn't the case for us.

Our point or 1 is actual the floor general who is more geared to set up people as opposed to scoring. You win on defense. There's no way you not seeing Mac play, and play alot

Also if you are really wanting to optimize what chuma can do as far as creating mismatches you really prefer him at 3. That's where he'd effect the game the most as far as impact. Everybody doesn't play like us, actually most don't. If you play the 4 hardly means you have to be a perimeter defender.....and if anybody can do it it's him. He's easily a top 3 athlete on the entire team. And you are going to need his length and shot blocking to off set having such a small back court. That's what you need to be worried about it anything. I'd take my chances on most of the league as far as Mac matched up with a 6'7" guy and him taking a step off and them shooting more perimeter shots than not having your best rebounder and shot blocker on the floor. 

Lastly when you play zone you need length. Period. NOTHING replaces it, no strategy negates it. We are lacking it from our back court. One way to try to replace it is using all our defensive advantages. What would be awesome if chuma could play 2, and him being at the top of a zone. He's raise hell in that role especially on defense

On 10/19/2018 at 1:43 PM, AUDub said:

Y'all think this looks about right? 

1. Harper - McCormick - Doughty - Brown
2. Brown - Doughty - McCormick - Purifoy 
3. Purifoy - Dunbar - Doughty - Okeke
4. Okeke - Spencer - McLemore - Purifoy

Brown won't play any 1 barring a number of guard injuries. Purifoy won't play any 2 & McCormick may not play much. Doughty is probably 2nd team at the 2 & 3 spots while Dunbar is 3rd team at both.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Brown won't play any 1 barring a number of guard injuries. Purifoy won't play any 2 & McCormick may not play much. Doughty is probably 2nd team at the 2 & 3 spots while Dunbar is 3rd team at both.

I consider anything after the 2 deep a “forced into the role” situation. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

I consider anything after the 2 deep a “forced into the role” situation. 

Since most teams go at most 10 deep I don't give much thoughts after second team at all. 3 is understandable though but I had never seen a 4 deep til now though. lol

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Since most teams go at most 10 deep I don't give much thoughts after second team at all. 3 is understandable though but I had never seen a 4 deep til now though. lol

Well we saw it last year at the 5...

1 minute ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Pretty sure I’ve read reports that Dunbar is your day one starter with Danjel suspended. He’s made a lot of progress 

Fair point. That applies from games 1-9. Come around game 15 though DP likely starts w/ Doughty being the 1st Guard/wing off the bench regardless of the 1-3 position. Dunbar may have made progress but everything I've seen has Doughty on a different level.

1 minute ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Well we saw it last year at the 5...

Out of injury necessity. It's still rare however.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Fair point. That applies from games 1-9. Come around game 15 though DP likely starts w/ Doughty being the 1st Guard/wing off the bench regardless of the 1-3 position. Dunbar may have made progress but everything I've seen has Doughty on a different level.

I keep hearing “think Dunans but better in just about every way,” and I loved Dunans, out of control as he played sometimes.

Just now, ellitor said:

Out of injury necessity. It's still rare however.

But it did happen, hence me going four deep lol. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I’m a huge doughty fan and think he’s gonna be legit. Guess we’ll see how it all unfolds. I just think that Dunbar will get plenty of minutes. The Doughty will eat more of McCormick’s time than Dunbar’s imo

Based on last year Dunbar should continue to get backup mins at the 3. When he gets too much playing time his value diminishes. He's good for a spark, some energy, and wreaking havoc on the other team. However he can be out of control if asked to do too much.

Now, that doesn't mean he can't be a much improved version of himself last year. I expect him to play more within himself this year. We are going to need him out of the gate. 

With all his flaws he hit some huge shots for last year. There were quite a few games where we started off really slow and Malik would hit a big shot to get us going.

Assuming Mac is really 100% he will play 5 as much or more than Wiley. He fits Pearl's system better than Wiley. Shot blocking leaking out for trailing dunk. Getting back on Defense and hitting the three.  Wiley is a natural old school 5 but Bruce doesn't use a lot of old school 5. If Mac was 2 inches taller he would be a perfect 5 in Bruce's system. Don't get me wrong Bruce will use Wiley a lot as he provides an inside presence a d is a big body that we need at times.

Assuming we have everyone save for Purifoy, I think Bruce will run out this starting 5 for the first game.

PG Harper

SG Brown

SF Dunbar

PF Horace

C Mclemore

I think he'll want to start the year out with the guys he has back from last year to get the ball rolling. Bring in Wiley off the bench within the first five mins to get Mac and get a big ovation from the crowd. Samir is first guard to sub in followed by J'Von and Chuma gets Horace or Dunbar.

I think we'll see the veterans in there to start and introduce the young bucks slowly. 

What I would LIKE to see happen in Wiley in there at the starting five over Mac, but I don't think Bruce will want to play Wiley any more than he has to especially in our upcoming first exhibition game. 

Once Purifoy returns, I bring him in off the bench for a game or two, then start him over Dunbar and bring in Malik as that 7th man.

By the end of the season, I believe we'll see a starting five of:

PG Harper

SG Brown

SF Purifoy

PF Okeke

C Wiley

On 10/21/2018 at 9:50 PM, ellitor said:

Ellitor has a strange way of agreeing with posts 😂

Archived