Offensive coaches

80Tiger

I think most of our offensive issues are with our coaches on that side of the ball and it has been on going. Let’s look at them current and past.

Rhett Lashley-got on the job training here. Hasn’t done anything earth shattering since he left.

Herb Hand- Many on here did not care for him and he was a liability at recruiting. Seems to be doing ok at Texas but jury is out.

Daymeun Craig- Many on here liked him because of recruiting. On field coaching was suspect. At FSU probably got more credit than he deserved due to Jimbo really being the QB coach. LSU passed over him and he seems to be fading away.

Chip Lindsey- Fair background I guess but it’s not like we were beating other teams to hire him in the CL sweepstakes.

JB Grimes- had him, pushed him out, hired him back after pushing HH out. Truly believe we hired him back because we couldn’t get anyone else.

Tim Horton- been trying to leave for years but no one will take him.

Kodi Burns- another on the job training employee

On other words I believe the O staff are underachievers and below average. More than likely all due to Gus and people not wanting to work with him.

Thoughts?

All hand picked by Gus to run Gus system. All relatively unknowns that will not question Gus' influence. The ones that do, get fired. See the pattern yet? This year Chip and Grimes may be the sacrificial lambs. Rhett probably started to question him....boom, gone. Craig questioned him...boom, gone. It's run its course. He needs to shoulder the weight and if he can't,  then he's not a leader and it's showing.

56 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I think most of our offensive issues are with our coaches on that side of the ball and it has been on going. Let’s look at them current and past.

Rhett Lashley-got on the job training here. Hasn’t done anything earth shattering since he left.

Herb Hand- Many on here did not care for him and he was a liability at recruiting. Seems to be doing ok at Texas but jury is out.

Daymeun Craig- Many on here liked him because of recruiting. On field coaching was suspect. At FSU probably got more credit than he deserved due to Jimbo really being the QB coach. LSU passed over him and he seems to be fading away.

Chip Lindsey- Fair background I guess but it’s not like we were beating other teams to hire him in the CL sweepstakes.

JB Grimes- had him, pushed him out, hired him back after pushing HH out. Truly believe we hired him back because we couldn’t get anyone else.

Tim Horton- been trying to leave for years but no one will take him.

Kodi Burns- another on the job training employee

On other words I believe the O staff are underachievers and below average. More than likely all due to Gus and people not wanting to work with him.

Thoughts?

2kju2n.jpg

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

I agree with all of this but with one objection. Kodi seems to be doing really well with recruiting and coaching.

Kodi is an excellent recruiter. But he isn't a great on the field coach. His WRs don't run routes and when the play breaks down rather than trying to get open they seem to look for someone to block or just stand there. 

Kodi is an A+++ recruiter. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking he is anywhere near as good of a coach as he is a recruiter

9 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

All hand picked by Gus to run Gus system. All relatively unknowns that will not question Gus' influence. The ones that do, get fired. See the pattern yet? This year Chip and Grimes may be the sacrificial lambs. Rhett probably started to question him....boom, gone. Craig questioned him...boom, gone. It's run its course. He needs to shoulder the weight and if he can't,  then he's not a leader and it's showing.

To add to this, his pattern of hiring his offensive coaches is to ensure he has his “yes” men that he can control.  As mentioned above Craig was the only hire that did not know Gus’ system and when 2015 happened he was gone.  Since then, when Gus hires his offensive staff, he is lazy as he doesn’t even give an effort to get the best available, only the coaches that will be so great full to have a P5 job that they will be afraid to question his authority.  

Some examples of what :yes: men have done with Gus at the helm:

Gus puts in a hurt SW in the 2015 game and it was obvious from the first play, he shouldn’t be on the field.  Gus leaves him in for 3 series and nobody on the sidelines informed Gus he couldn’t perform. 

The big one, Clemson 2016, nobody was able to tell Gus the 5 QB Monty was not going to work. Nobody was able to tell him the Whirly Bird was not a good idea.

It took Gus 4 games to finally decide SW was our best option at QB that season. SW was not a great QB, but he was the best (by far) that we had that year.

UGA 2016, nobody on the sidelines could see that SW was not 100% in the second half and Gus kept him in.  Anybody that watched that game know SW needed to be replaced.

And the best of the best, the 2017 LSU game. Need I say more.

If CL leaves, for whatever reason, I fully expect Gus to promote Kodi Burns to the OC and hire a new WR coach. It would be the easiest thing to do.

36 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Tim Horton was absolutely not an unknown assist coach. He produced many  RBs at Arkansas. Also Lashlee didn't question Gus and Gus pushed him out like he did D. Craig. Gus was told he had to find an established OC to save his job. He never would of gotten rid of his Golden boy if he didn't have to do so.

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

To add to this, his pattern of hiring his offensive coaches is to ensure he has his “yes” men that he can control.  As mentioned above Craig was the only hire that did not know Gus’ system and when 2015 happened he was gone.  Since then, when Gus hires his offensive staff, he is lazy as he doesn’t even give an effort to get the best available, only the coaches that will be so great full to have a P5 job that they will be afraid to question his authority.  

Gus puts in a hurt SW in the 2015 game and it was obvious from the first play, he shouldn’t be on the field.  Gus leaves him in for 3 series and nobody on the sidelines informed Gus he couldn’t perform. 

The big one, Clemson 2016, nobody was able to tell Gus the 5 QB Monty was not going to work. Nobody was able to tell him the Whirly Bird was not a good idea.

It took Gus 4 games to finally decide SW was our best option at QB that season. SW was not a great QB, but he was the best (by far) that we had that year.

UGA 2016, nobody on the sidelines could see that SW was not 100% in the second half and Gus kept him in.  Anybody that watched that game know SW needed to be replaced.

If CL leaves, for whatever reason, I fully expect Gus to promote Kodi Burns to the OC and hire a new WR coach. It would be the easiest thing to do.

Again, Horton doesn't fit your narrative.

Most of the rest I agree with. Especially last seasons LSU game. That's the game that lost Gus for me. No matter what he does, I'll never step foot on his "bus" again. 

However that being said, assuming Gus isn't fired, Chip will leave after this season. Not because Gus fires him, but because he isn't allowed to run his offense. And no, assuming Gus is still the coach game 1 in the 2019 season, Kodi won't be moved up to OC. Gus will know he is lucky to still have a job, and will HAVE to hire a big name OC that is outside of his comfort zone. The PTB caved last time and allowed him to hire Lindsey, someone he was comfortable with. They won't allow that to happen again... Assuming he even gets that opportunity and is still employed by Auburn University at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Dameyune is in College Station helping Jimbo assemble a top 5 recruiting class at TAMU. 

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Again, Horton doesn't fit your narrative.

Actually Horton does fit the narrative.  He came over from Arky as Gus worked with him there.  The only offensive coach that had no previous Gus experience was Craig.

Do you think Horton is responsible for not having an adequate backup at RB for years now?

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Actually Horton does fit the narrative.  He came over from Arky as Gus worked with him there.  The only offensive coach that had no previous Gus experience was Craig.

Do you think Horton is responsible for not having an adequate backup at RB for years now?

Horton never worked with Malzahn. In 2006 he was on staff with Kansas State. Came to Arkansas in 2007.

17 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Dameyune is in College Station helping Jimbo assemble a top 5 recruiting class at TAMU. 

Which will finish around 11th... about where they generally do 

12 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Horton never worked with Malzahn. In 2006 he was on staff with Kansas State. Came to Arkansas in 2007.

Thanks for the correction. Since Horton was from Arky as well Gus was familiar with him.  I misspoke. 

add the vandy game ~ 4 yrs ago  to the list when kerion was badly banged up and needed rest. He should have never been used! Gus and co should have had a backup plan going in to that game; as usual they didn’t! Gus ran Kerion absolutely into the ground untill he had to leave the game. Can’t recall who the next smaller was that came in and got banged up before Gus brings in a 4th string Pettway. KP who probably never expected to  see the field becomes instant highlight reel and saved Gus’s job and bought KJ enough time to get reasonably healthy. Remember then Gus did his absolute level best to run him into the ground too rather than alternate and save both. It was maybe the worst display of coaching regarding the use of 2 awesome running backs ever witnessed in major college ball? It was exactly what you’d expect to see most friday nights at your local highschool games. infact  that about sums up how our program has looked for much of his tenure except save a few accidental  flashes of brilliance due to the amazing talent we’ve had,,,in spite of Gus Mahlza,,, not because of him! 

No deference to the awesome 2nd string walk on snapper who weighs less than 150 lb sopping wet,, that Gus put into that same UGA game and tried to catch the balls sean white tried to throw him with the separaed shoulder!  (who in the universe didnt know he was in severe pain! if i was SW’s dad i would have whipped gus’s ass when he stepped off the bus! man was SW tough!) Fasr forward,,, weve not recruited or either developed enough at wide reciever so that the walk on snapper is now one of our best recievers going into this year before (wait for it........ ) he goes  down with an injury! Newsflash; the only thing surprising is he made it past his 2nd sec game and got up after being leveled after a few hits! (*^^%%!!!!! WTF! Howwwww?)

is there anybody there trying to keep the highschool coach in check and/or reminding him that his offense needs a mobile qb and receivers who can block? What kind of coach after having success with nick marshal and a nat’l champ thanks to cam newton goes on a 3 year streak of recruiting “statue of liberty”  quarterbacks? Only a freakin moron that’s who!!!! someone who should be coaching a low grade highschool team! 

It absolutely pains me to say this because im so proud of the past and still clinging to the “Running Back U” (maybe because i personally witnessed all the Bo Jackson years live and in person as well!). I hope some mothers don’t see this comment but if i had a son who was a stud running back i would never send him to play for Gus Mahkzan!   

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yeah this part I agree with. Part of that is on Horton. Part is on Gus. Part is on area recruiters. Horton while he is the position coach, isnt the only one who recruits running backs. Horton also can only play who Gus says to play. Not having anyone ready behind RB1 the last few years is on a lack of RB recruiting. It's on not having adequate talent. Only KJ has met or exceeded expectations in recent RB recruiting classes. It is also on Gus for having a tendency to only allow the players he trusts to play. 

Some is on Horton. But it sure isn't all on him. 

Archived