Ole Miss Post Game Thread

PigskinPat

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Had we given him a limited raise and some incentives as I have said before, wouldn’t have had a problem with that. The ridiculous contract is what is so maddening 

If you were Gus would you have turned it down?  And been like hey that’s to much let me show you I deserve it first?  It’s on Sexton and the Pres...  

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, corchjay said:

If you were Gus would you have turned it down?  And been like hey that’s to much let me show you I deserve it first?  It’s on Sexton and the Pres...  

Absolutely not, however, Leath even offering him that is ridiculous. Like I said before we were in perfect position last year to say “Hey Gus, we’ll give u raise and some extra incentives but we’re not giving you a crazy extension until you show some consistency”. If he didn’t like it, he could’ve gone to Arkansas but making a guy a top 5 paid coach with what Gus has done is absolutely ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Of course not. But don’t kidd yourself if people start resenting him for not living up to it. I thought it was highly inappropriate to be negotiating between two schools while the season is still going on , but that is where we are in the business. This is exactly why I don’t get mad when players sit out bowl games or now are able to transfer. It’s business moves. But if you choose to go that path you better be able to live with the consequences.

1 minute ago, kwagoner said:

I think aTm just got suckered too.

Yep aTm is trying to buy their way.  We’ve tried it before.  Doesn’t work.  Until we get back to winning or at least splitting the instate kids and get 3-4 of the top 20 in Ga and Fl... we won’t have that consistent w-l record everyone seems so caught up on.  But I don’t think you can say that this staff gets out worked by anyone on the trail.  

Just now, DAG said:

Of course not. But don’t kidd yourself if people start resenting him for not living up to it. I thought it was highly inappropriate to be negotiating between two schools while the season is still going on , but that is where we are in the business. This is exactly why I don’t get mad when players sit out bowl games or now are able to transfer. It’s business moves. But if you choose to go that pass you better be able to live with the consequences.

+1

Reminder:  political references of any kind do NOT belong here.  If you want to post them go to the politics forum or risk being suspended.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Of course not. But don’t kidd yourself if people start resenting him for not living up to it. I thought it was highly inappropriate to be negotiating between two schools while the season is still going on , but that is where we are in the business. This is exactly why I don’t get mad when players sit out bowl games or now are able to transfer. It’s business moves. But if you choose to go that pass you better be able to live with the consequences.

So so true DAG. 

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Absolutely not, however, Leath even offering him that is ridiculous. Like I said before we were in perfect position last year to say “Hey Gus, we’ll give u raise and some extra incentives but we’re not giving you a crazy extension until you show some consistency”. If he didn’t like it, he could’ve gone to Arkansas but making a guy a top 5 paid coach with what Gus has done is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree to much money for sure.  Heck no college coach should make over $1m a year... regardless of what they bring in.  That’s just my opinion.  But the money back into the university and students make tuition more reasonable 

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I agree to much money for sure.  Heck no college coach should make over $1m a year... regardless of what they bring in.  That’s just my opinion.  But the money back into the university and students make tuition more reasonable 

Well if we don’t agree on the other, coach, we can at least agree on that!

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree with that and Gus probably does as well.  I know he keeps saying we are or we will be a good team but I think he also understood the youth and inexperience on the team and wanted long term

Just now, corchjay said:

I agree with that and Gus probably does as well.  I know he keeps saying we are or we will be a good team but I think he also understood the youth and inexperience on the team and wanted long term

Unfortunately, he might not get long term haha 

23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I understand the frustration of an unfulfilled season.  We are there but in my opinion and I’ve been wrong before I think Gus and this staff is still a Top 10 group.  The breaks, calls, bounces have definitely not gone our way and some seasons are like that.  How many freshman and first year starters do we have on offense.  I knew we would struggle early but was hoping by now that execution would be a little better and that is on both players and coaches.  There are definitely things I would do differently but overall I approve of his offense.  Maybe need more diversity in play call to down and distance but you get the point

Corch, you’re not alone. I was one of the biggest Gus critics when we hired him. After Clemson in 2016, I was about as off the Gus Bus as you can get.

However, I’m not understanding the fan reactions this season. I’m very frustrated that this season hasn’t gone as planned, but it’s clear that some of this season has been outside of Gus’s control. I still wonder where we’d be if not for that bad PI call against LSU. It seemed like losing that game took the wind out of our team, and we’ve never been able to recover. I know I’m about to catch some flak from the board. I’ll probably be accused of being a family member of Gus or something. I don’t really care anymore. Many of the folks on this board have lost perspective. I’m interested to see if we turn it around the next few weeks, and hope Gus and the team silence some of the obnoxious voices on this forum.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Another game with zero stats for backup QBs. SMH.

One of my biggest complaints for Gus teams not only not getting enough garbage time but just run the same 3 plays and punt.  Don’t understand that 

9 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

I think aTm just got suckered too.

Time will tell, but for now they have a coach with a natty and a consistent track record of 10-12 win season, the # 2 recruiting class in the nation, they are still in the SEC West race that weve been out of the 2 weeks, and just beat an undefeated Kentucky team.  We will need to improves significantly to beat them in 2 weeks, because they’ve improved significantly this season. I’m afraid the Aggies are in a good spot the next few years. Again, time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Corch, you’re not alone. I was one of the biggest Gus critics when we hired him. After Clemson in 2016, I was about as off the Gus Bus as you can get.

However, I’m not understanding the fan reactions this season. I’m very frustrated that this season hasn’t gone as planned, but it’s clear that some of this season has been outside of Gus’s control. I still wonder where we’d be if not for that bad PI call against LSU. It seemed like losing that game took the wind out of our team, and we’ve never been able to recover. I know I’m about to catch some flak from the board. I’ll probably be accused of being a family member of Gus or something. I don’t really care anymore. Many of the folks on this board have lost perspective. I’m interested to see if we turn it around the next few weeks, and hope Gus and the team silence some of the obnoxious voices on this forum.

LSU game has nothing to do with losing to Tennessee and Mississippi state. If losing a game like LSU in the last seconds can cause the season to go down hill, then we have some serious leadership issues. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

LSU game has nothing to do with losing to Tennessee and Mississippi state. If losing a game like LSU in the last seconds can cause the season to go down hill, then we have some serious leadership issues. 

Everyone expected LSU to suck this year. It’s a predictably demotivating situation, and the body language of the players after that loss changed a lot.

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Time will tell, but for now they have a coach with a natty and a consistent track record of 10-12 win season, the # 2 recruiting class in the nation, they are still in the SEC West race that weve been out of the 2 weeks, and just beat an undefeated Kentucky team.  We will need to improves significantly to beat them in 2 weeks, because they’ve improved significantly this season. I’m afraid the Aggies are in a good spot the next few years. Again, time will tell. 

Quit pumping that #2 recruiting ranking they will be lucky if they finish in the top 10 at the end of the signing period.  I predict around 11-12ish range.  We saw that as almost a failure on signing day last year but look at the young talent we have 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Agree 100%. Also, one bad call did not lose the LSU game for us.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Everyone expected LSU to suck this year. It’s a predictably demotivating situation, and the body language of the players after that loss changed a lot.

So based on this hypothesis of yours, this is what has impacted our games against Mississippi state and Tennessee ? That’s weird you say this because last year we loss to LSU and it seemed to cause a 180 in this team. Furthermore, you told me and others to wait in see how things played out after we played horribly against Arkansas. Where is this notion coming from now?

1 minute ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I had a powerlifting comp today & have no idea about the game besides the score. Could somebody sum up the game for me please?? 

Basically same offense but dominated the line of scrimmage and Ole Miss put up some garbage yards and points after it got to 31-9...

10 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Great post.....especially about perspective. 

17 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No, but the timing was absolutely horrible in terms of the team and the fact the season wasn't over. Don't be so naive to think Gus didn't know what was going on or who put Sexton in motion on that move. He still had 2 yrs left on a contract paying him over 4 mil a year.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Basically same offense but dominated the line of scrimmage and Ole Miss put up some garbage yards and points after it got to 31-9...

Was trying to get updates. Somebody in the stands told me Stidham missed a wide open TD & took a sack instead, also Schwartz dropped a TD??  How did the OL look? How’d Stidham look? 

Archived