Ole Miss Post Game Thread

PigskinPat

1 minute ago, DAG said:

But what does that have to do with losing to Tennessee and Mississippi state.  Our team has much more talent than those two still? You agree, right? UK has a better offensive personnel than us? Is that what you are saying?  

UT isn’t very far behind us actually.  They probably have better OL talent.  They just hit those bs jump balls.  Offense we just didn’t execute at all.  Slayton example on the drop for a TD.  Mississippi State not sure what happened on defense that game.  I think Atkinson made the wrong read on the ball in the zone read like every play.  They kept the ball the entire game and yes we are the more talented team but played like crapola

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

So, you lose one game by one point with everything still left to play for and it puts our team into a tailspin? Do you seriously think our team is that fragile?

Do I think that 18 year old former 4 and 5 star players can be fragile? Absolutely yes.

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

We beat Ole Miss right? Not on offense. Who on our oline could start on UK's oline?

Calvin Ashley who was a 5 star recruit should be able to start on Kentucky I think . Maybe I am crazy to think that.

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

At the end of the day. I don’t think Gus is safe. I think that is why he is on the edge. I think he is in a no win situation. He wins all the games down the stretch and people will say

“ well why do you have to wait until the seat gets hot to coach?” 

He loses the next 3 games and it will be justified IMO. He has no one to blame but himself tbh. I don’t think he made a lot of friends the way he carried himself through his contract extension . It is only amplified now that we have had mediocre results.

^^^So much this.

Matter of fact, the quote you reference is exactly what I think and have said.  It's like the Michael Vick reference I made the other day.... lackadaisical until the criticism reaches a boiling point then suddenly you're competent, if not really good.  A $7M per year professional should not have to be threatened into performing to the level he's being paid.

And no, the way he decided to worry about playing chicken with Auburn vs Arkansas instead of preparing for the SEC Championship Game turned a lot of people off I'm willing to bet....it sure did me (not that he cares).

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

If that’s the case, then why are they so mentally weak?

I'm sure they are giving their best. Sometimes that is not good enough.

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

I disagree. Confidence/momentum is huge with young kids.

You are on to something here. Who is our leader on the offense? JS? CC? Certainly not obvious and that is a big problem.

That very important confidence factor is really overlooked. Adversity initially causes self doubt, but I'm hoping these experiences will  strengthen the will of the team moving forward. The 2010 team was built on the pain of adversity. 

Stidham looked a little more like a leader today than he has so far this season. And Boobee was stepping up some and showing some determination instead of total frustration. To me it looked like the offense had slightly more cohesiveness to it. It's something to build on. It really doesn't matter who the leader is at this point....but somebody needs to be the man on offense. 

And I know it was Ole Miss so spare me. I'm not claiming a championship ring here. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I will recite current facts as I choose to. But thank you. 

Fair enough but they are done and many other teams have plenty of spots to fill.  So take the victory lap however you like on your fact.  If Gus stays AU will finish higher then aTm in the recruiting rankings.  So not sure what your point is

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

UT isn’t very far behind us actually.  They probably have better OL talent.  They just hit those bs jump balls.  Offense we just didn’t execute at all.  Slayton example on the drop for a TD.  Mississippi State not sure what happened on defense that game.  I think Atkinson made the wrong read on the ball in the zone read like every play.  They kept the ball the entire game and yes we are the more talented team but played like crapola

Overall is UT more talented than us? That’s all I want to know. Because I was told by others , we are where we should be based on recruiting rankings when we lose to UGA, Bama, LSU.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I meant Mississippi state. Don’t be dense 

I corrected you, but I am dense? LOL. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Overall is UT more talented than us? That’s all I want to know. Because I was told by others , we are where we should be based on recruiting rankings when we lose to UGA, Bama, LSU.

We are more talented.  They are more experienced.  Same as us and UGA this year they are more talented we are more experienced and if we get the run game going just a little I think we have a shot at beating them on the road.  

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

I corrected you, but I am dense? LOL. 

You going to respond to the 5 star we have on our O-line 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Calvin Ashley who was a 5 star recruit should be able to start on Kentucky I think . Maybe I am crazy to think that.

So you think maybe one player? UK? That should tell you a lot. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree.  Gotta get better on the OL even if we have under recruited we don’t have garbage players they have to accept coaching and get better and play with some fire if you mess up mess up going hard

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

The situation was different. Last year, nobody thought we were any good when we lost to LSU. Expectations going into that game were low. Last year, LSU was our Tennessee game. Everyone was on the fire Gus bandwagon. The players had several desparation “come to Jesus” meetings which helped to light the fire that led to our big run.

This year, everyone expected us to to be in the mix for the championship at the end of the season, and everyone expected Orgeron to be fired at the season’s end. Most of the sports commentators were picking us to blow LSU out. When we lost, it completely disrupted any progress the team made in weeks 1-3. As a fan, that was one of the worst losses I’ve ever experienced because it felt like we lost to a terrible team. I can’t imagine how our 18 year old football players felt. The next week, the players looked uninspired, and they’ve continued to look that way until today.

Aside from the similarity of us losing to LSU, I don’t see the losses as any way comparable.

We were preseason #13 last year and had only lost to #2 Clemson. It wasn’t that nobody thought we were any good after the LSU loss, it’s that everyone thought Gus was a joke of a coach for blowing a 20 point lead.

This year we lost to a terrible team? LSU was ranked #12 and had already beaten a highly ranked Miami team. Coach O was not in danger of losing his job at the time.  I’m trying hard to follow you but you seem to be contradicting yourself. You’re saying after LSU last year nobody thought we were any good so it inspired the team, but this year we lose to them and it completely deflates us? So the only way we can play inspired after a loss is if it is the right kind of loss?

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

I named an obvious player on our BENCH mind you. Do you really want to compare Kentucky offensive players to our offensive players? You want to go down that route with facts? 

9 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I'm sure they are giving their best. Sometimes that is not good enough.

I guess I have a little more faith in our players that their best is more than good enough to beat Miss State and Tennessee.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I named an obvious player on our BENCH mind you. Do you really want to compare Kentucky offensive players to our offensive players? You want to go down that route with facts? 

You can name the players on the field or the bench. Matters not to me. They ain't likely starting for UK. Telling.

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

I guess I have a little more faith in our players that their best is more than good enough to beat Miss State and Tennessee.

I'm thinking we watched different games.

4 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

We were preseason #13 last year and had only lost to #2 Clemson. It wasn’t that nobody thought we were any good after the LSU loss, it’s that everyone thought Gus was a joke of a coach for blowing a 20 point lead.

This year we lost to a terrible team? LSU was ranked #12 and had already beaten a highly ranked Miami team. Coach O was not in danger of losing his job at the time.  I’m trying hard to follow you but you seem to be contradicting yourself. You’re saying after LSU last year nobody thought we were any good so it inspired the team, but this year we lose to them and it completely deflates us? So the only way we can play inspired after a loss is if it is the right kind of loss?

The entire gameday crew picked Auburn this year, and said LSU had no chance. The consensus was that Miami was just terrible, and that LSU didn’t look that great.

In comparison, we beat the favorite in the pac12 in week 1, and sports commentators completely bought in to us being legitimate.

So, yeah, I think this year’s loss was more deflating.

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

I'm thinking we watched different games.

If you think you saw the best our players can do against Mississippi State and Tennessee then we absolutely watched different games.

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Nick brahm 4 star recruit 

Kaleb Kim 4 star recruit Army all american

Calvin Ashley 5 star recruit UA all American 

Austin Troxel 4 star recruit UA all American 

Thats 3 all Americans lol

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

As you should but a struggling offense to excute base plays and a defense that doesn’t get off the field on 3rd downs creates games like that.  If that is the head coach’s fault then so be it but I see as both player and coach.  Coaches have to make sure we can execute base plays and defense has to hold teams under 40percent on 3rd downs.  

Just now, PigskinPat said:

If you think you saw the best our players can do against Mississippi State and Tennessee then we absolutely watched different games.

This man is clueless 

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I agree.  Gotta get better on the OL even if we have under recruited we don’t have garbage players they have to accept coaching and get better and play with some fire if you mess up mess up going hard

It does look like the O-Line is timid and confused about 90% of the time. That confusion makes them slow. Today seemed maybe a step up from last week. 

Archived