StatTiger

Ole Miss Game Report Card

Recommended Posts

Auburn was finally able to run the football, though it came against the worst run defense in the country. The Tigers ability to run the football kept the outcome off the shoulders of Jarrett Stidham, who had a pedestrian like performance. JaTarvious Whitlow was the MVP of the offense, who tallied 208 yards on 23 offensive touches. For the second week in a row, Chip Lindsey worked the football to his top playmakers. Auburn's top-5 leaders in impact plays, totaled 385-yards on 30 snaps for two touchdowns. They also accounted for all of Auburn's impact plays against Ole Miss. Auburn's 21-point third quarter was the second most points scored during the third period under a Gus Malzahn offense when the Tigers were held to just ten halftime points. Auburn was 14-21 in games when Malzahn's offense was held to 10-points or less by halftime. Auburn's 484-yards in total offense was a season-high against an FBS opponent.

 

Nick Coe had a monster game with three QB sacks, and Marlon Davidson effort on a bad leg was a prime example of a player selling out to win. Overall, the defense did an excellent job of limiting the big plays, something that was a major concern coming into this week. The defense is banged up and running on fumes but had enough left in the gas tank to assist in the "team" victory. The Tigers were at their best inside the red zone, and Ole Miss scored their only touchdown against Auburn's backups. After surrendering 92-yards on the first two possessions, Auburn allowed only 212-yards during the next eight possessions. The game was already decided before the Rebels finally cracked the Auburn goal line. The Auburn defense earned their bye-week and hopefully can re energize their batteries before Texas A&M comes to town. 

 

Auburn's fifth victory of the season should assure the Tigers of becoming bowl eligible this season with Liberty an almost certain victory.  The Tigers win over Ole Miss certainly doesn't salvage a disappointing season, but it was definitely a much-needed victory for the players. It was a positive sign the players have not quit on the coaching staff, and the bye-week should inspire the team to sell out for Texas A&M. There still were looming issues that have stymied the team this season, but this Saturday was about the players believing once again. It was about digging down deep this past week in practice despite being injured, fatigued and on a two-game losing streak. The players went on the road to face a confident Ole Miss team and came away with a solid victory. There will be no accolades given out for defeating an un-ranked Ole Miss team, but a loss would have undoubtedly finished off this football team. Since 1995, Auburn is now 43-0 with at least 250-yards rushing and only 1 turnover or less.

 

War Eagle!

                  

Game #8 Statistical Evaluation (Ole Miss Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [6.29] pass
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [42.8%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [5.8] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [41.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [16.7%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [9.8 yds] pass
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [75.0%] pass
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [40.3 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [57.3%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [4 / 0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [17.0] pass
13) At least 8 impact plays:  (10) pass
14) At least 2 big plays:  (3) pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [156.2] pass

16) Yards to Point Ratio of 14.0 or under: [15.6] pass

Score: 16 of 16 (100.0%) 

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [7.03] fail
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [35.3%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [3.2] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [33.3%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [25.0%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [6.9 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [33.3%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [37.2 yds] fail
10) 40% or less of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [47.7%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [1/0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [86.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  (6) pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: (3) fail
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [122.4] pass

16) Yards to point ratio of 18.0 or higher: [27.9] pass 

Score: 9 of 16 (56.2%) 

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [44.7] pass
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [2.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [4.0] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [17.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [14.0] fail
6) PAT’s (100%): [4/4] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [33.3%] fail

Score: 4 of 7 (57.1%) 

* 50% is a passing score.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Give the coaching staff a big fat F for the 4th quarter. Instead of continuing to try and score Auburn goes into the fetal position and tries to run out the clock.

Good opportunity to maybe try different plays if we have any and give schwartz more touches.

What did Gus say to get a flag, which killed that drive.

Surprise Ole Miss didn't throw more cause we couldn't cover most of the time and PI call is good bet.

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Stat. I didn't think I'd see a 16/16 on offense again. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Surprise Ole Miss didn't throw more cause we couldn't cover most of the time and PI call is good bet.

They threw it 47 times.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

Give the coaching staff a big fat F for the 4th quarter. Instead of continuing to try and score Auburn goes into the fetal position and tries to run out the clock.

Good opportunity to maybe try different plays if we have any and give schwartz more touches.

What did Gus say to get a flag, which killed that drive.

Surprise Ole Miss didn't throw more cause we couldn't cover most of the time and PI call is good bet.

I don’t actually mind us going passive in that 4th quarter. The game was more or less in hand. We want A&M thinking we are worse than we are. Better chance that they come into the game expecting us to roll over. Also, we’re pretty beat up right now. No reason to risk further injury.

Schwartz was clearly involved in several RPO plays in the second half. Ole Miss was selling out on the perimeter pass game.

No idea what Gus said, but apparently it fired up the players. So I’m glad he did It.

Ole Miss threw it a lot, and our guys did a reasonably good job defending the pass. Ole Miss’s completion percentage was not very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

They threw it 47 times.

Sucks when the stats / facts don’t support your story line. 

Edited by kwagoner
Not yours, Stat.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

Game #8 Statistical Evaluation (Ole Miss Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [6.29] pass
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [42.8%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [5.8] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [41.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [16.7%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [9.8 yds] pass
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [75.0%] pass
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [40.3 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [57.3%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [4 / 0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [17.0] pass
13) At least 8 impact plays:  (10) pass
14) At least 2 big plays:  (3) pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [156.2] pass

16) Yards to Point Ratio of 14.0 or under: [15.6] pass

Score: 16 of 16 (100.0%) 

  
Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [7.03] fail
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [35.3%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [3.2] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [33.3%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [25.0%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [6.9 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [33.3%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [37.2 yds] fail
10) 40% or less of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [47.7%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [1/0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [86.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  (6) pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: (3) fail
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [122.4] pass

16) Yards to point ratio of 18.0 or higher: [27.9] pass 

 

Score: 9 of 16 (56.2%) 



Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [44.7] pass
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [2.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [4.0] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [17.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [14.0] fail
6) PAT’s (100%): [4/4] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [33.3%] fail

Score: 4 of 7 (57.1%) 

* 50% is a passing score.

 

  Auburn was finally able to run the football, though it came against the worst run defense in the country. The Tigers ability to run the football kept the outcome off the shoulders of Jarrett Stidham, who had a pedestrian like performance. JaTarvious Whitlow was the MVP of the offense, who tallied 208 yards on 23 offensive touches. For the second week in a row, Chip Lindsey worked the football to his top playmakers. Auburn's top-5 leaders in impact plays, totaled 385-yards on 30 snaps for two touchdowns. They also accounted for all of Auburn's impact plays against Ole Miss. Auburn's 21-point third quarter was the second most points scored during the third period under a Gus Malzahn offense when the Tigers were held to just ten halftime points. Auburn was 14-21 in games when Malzahn's offense was held to 10-points or less by halftime. Auburn's 484-yards in total offense was a season-high against an FBS opponent.

 

  Nick Coe had a monster game with three QB sacks, and Marlon Davidson effort on a bad leg was a prime example of a player selling out to win. Overall, the defense did an excellent job of limiting the big plays, something that was a major concern coming into this week. The defense is banged up and running on fumes but had enough left in the gas tank to assist in the "team" victory. The Tigers were at their best inside the red zone, and Ole Miss scored their only touchdown against Auburn's backups. After surrendering 92-yards on the first two possessions, Auburn allowed only 212-yards during the next eight possessions. The game was already decided before the Rebels finally cracked the Auburn goal line. The Auburn defense earned their bye-week and hopefully can re energize their batteries before Texas A&M comes to town. 

 

  Auburn's fifth victory of the season should assure the Tigers of becoming bowl eligible this season with Liberty an almost certain victory. The Tigers victory over Ole Miss certainly doesn't salvage a disappointing season, but it was definitely a much-needed victory for the players. It was a positive sign the players have not quit on the coaching staff, and the bye-week should inspire the team to sell out for Texas A&M. There still were looming issues that have stymied the team this season, but this Saturday was about the players believing once again. It was about digging down deep this past week in practice despite being injured, fatigued and on a two-game losing streak. The players went on the road to face a confident Ole Miss team and came away with a solid victory. There will be no accolades given out for defeating an unranked Ole Miss team, but a loss would have undoubtedly finished off this football team. Since 1995, Auburn is now 43-0 with at least 250-yards rushing and only 1 turnover or less.

                  

 

War Eagle!

We clearly went passive defensively in the 4th quarter once the game was in hand. I wonder what the defensive numbers would have looked like if we accounted for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK about that guy's narrative but they should've either thrown it more or ran it more creatively. Its like they'd drop back to throw deep or run up the middle against a far better front. There was little feel for the game from their side 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have missed it, but what was our total rush yards and pass yards for the game? Also, what was OM's total pass and rush yards? I appreciate this very much. Does anyone know to what extent Boobee's injury is? I hope he will be ready in 2 weeks. It would be great to be able to beat TAMU & UGA. This could put us in a nicer bowl game. It will take a mammoth effort to do this. My gut feeling is that we will likely finish 6-6. This I would hope would be enough to make a change with Gus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t care if that was a bad defense.  Auburn did what it does best when it’s winning and that’s run the ball.  Boobee was so patient waiting for the holes and by the end of the game there was a huge hole on the left side that Auburn kept abusing.  Malik Miller had another great game.  That run that got called back was him just breaking tackles and making it happen.  Kam needs to be limited to outside runs because for whatever reason he refuses to find the holes to run through.  Stidham’s numbers could have been better if not for some dropped passes.  I saw him make a lot of good decisions today.  He’s also slow as dirt.  The offense put the defense in a position to be successful which it hadn’t done in awhile.  TaMu in 2 weeks will be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AUFriction said:

We clearly went passive defensively in the 4th quarter once the game was in hand. I wonder what the defensive numbers would have looked like if we accounted for that.

I don't know about passive. There were an awful lot of subs in the game on the last few Ole Miss possessions. It's good for morale and the future when those guys get playing time, but bad for statistics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bigbird said:

@StatTiger when was the last time the O had a perfect score in your analysis?

2017 Arkansas game

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bigbird said:

@StatTiger when was the last time the O had a perfect score in your analysis?

Saturday, October 20, 2018 vs. Ole Miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't know about passive. There were an awful lot of subs in the game on the last few Ole Miss possessions. It's good for morale and the future when those guys get playing time, but bad for statistics.

I wonder why there were so many subs playing on D but not for the O. You’d think if the game was out of hand enough to get some backups playing time on D then it was out of hand enough to get some meaningful reps for backup offensive players. Maybe we play a lot of backups anyways on O (not counting QB obviously). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I don’t actually mind us going passive in that 4th quarter. The game was more or less in hand. We want A&M thinking we are worse than we are. Better chance that they come into the game expecting us to roll over. Also, we’re pretty beat up right now. No reason to risk further injury.

Schwartz was clearly involved in several RPO plays in the second half. Ole Miss was selling out on the perimeter pass game.

No idea what Gus said, but apparently it fired up the players. So I’m glad he did It.

Ole Miss threw it a lot, and our guys did a reasonably good job defending the pass. Ole Miss’s completion percentage was not very good.

Out of likes, but thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I wonder why there were so many subs playing on D but not for the O. You’d think if the game was out of hand enough to get some backups playing time on D then it was out of hand enough to get some meaningful reps for backup offensive players. Maybe we play a lot of backups anyways on O (not counting QB obviously). 

O needs the snaps; at least that’s how the staff feels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I wonder why there were so many subs playing on D but not for the O. You’d think if the game was out of hand enough to get some backups playing time on D then it was out of hand enough to get some meaningful reps for backup offensive players. Maybe we play a lot of backups anyways on O (not counting QB obviously). 

Boobie, Kam, Shiver, and Miller played RB. Because of injuries the O-Line has seen 7 or 8 players Driscol, Troxell, Kim, Brahms. Horton, Ashley (who was Out). Harrel, and Prince who have gotten meaningful snaps and we have seen a lot of different receivers.  So an awful lot of O players are getting experience.  I would have liked our last drive to have had a different QB running our real offense not just QB keepers.  When Gus puts in a backup QB he never lets them run the real offense which I think we all have a problem with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree.  I would have liked to see the backup QBs play some in the 4th to see what they can do.  Open the playbook for them instead of just hand offs.  Let them do RPO.  Keep the competition guessing and make them spend valuable practice time on defending the fact that if they see the backup QB come in.  I would also have liked to see shots down the field with Schwartz, how about a wheel route to Shivers?  Come one get the killer instinct and put the game more out of hand.  We play too conservative at times and it kills us and the momentum.  Just my 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we needed one more score to put another qb in and turn him loose. We left 13-20 points out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now