Malzahn post game

aubiefifty

What Gus Malzahn said after Auburn's 31-16 win against Ole Miss

22 shares

Auburn snapped its two-game losing streak and cruised to a big road win against Ole Miss, 31-16, on Saturday.

Coach Gus Malzahn will meet with the media for his post-game pres conference to discuss his team's win. AL.com will provide live updates from Malzahn's press conference in the space below, so be sure to refresh the page for all the latest news and information.

GUS MALZAHN

-- Very good win for the program. Starts out by thanking Auburn fans who made the trip.

-- Offensively, ability to run the football stood out. Third quarter as well. It was Auburn's worst quarter of the season entering the day, but today was a turnaround.

-- Defensively, really held Ole Miss' explosive offense.

-- Young guys on both sides of the ball stood out.

-- Off week coming at a great time for Auburn.

-- On Jeremiah Dinson and Jamel Dean: "Not having Dean, he's an impact player. Our corners really stepped up.... Young guys stepped up" with Dinson out in first half.

-- Emphasis in second half was to get Schwartz and Seth Williams the ball more in the second half.

-- Why confident this week? "We went through a storm last week... and that either divides or it brings you together."

-- Says fans aren't rooting for team to fail, clarifies it's "all others." Leaves it at that.

-- Marlon Davidson's field goal block for third straight week was "unbelievable."

-- On Whitlow: Wasn't 100 percent. Got dinged up but had a big game.

-- On defense: Against that offense, that's an extremely scary offense to go against.... Very proud of our defense today.

-- On tweaks: Malik Willis "had a play or two." Team ran ball better. "There was some tweaks."

-- Long FGs haven't helped Anders Carlson's confidence. "There's no doubt in my mind that he'll end the season strong."

-- Believes Jack Driscoll reinjured his knee. No update on Whitlow's injury. Austin Troxell "came in there the second half and did a super job."

AL.com will update this post.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

-- Says fans aren't rooting for team to fail, clarifies it's "all others." Leaves it at that.

Is he referring to the Auburn power brokers?

The noise is catching his ears. 

If he considers Willis coming into hand the ball off a tweak.....

Anyway, Im glad to see all our S-talking is finally getting to his ears, hopefully it lights a fire under someone somewhere on the coaching staff. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Anyway, Im glad to see all our S-talking is finally getting to his ears, hopefully it lights a fire under someone somewhere on the coaching staff. 

Amen and amen. 

Two plays is a tweak. That’s our offensive genius. 

Could have been very valuable experience for Willis to have had the entire 4th Qtr or at least a few series, using the whole playbook.

This is one of the more frustrating things about Gus.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

The noise is catching his ears. 

It should be catching his ears. This team is 5-3 and while a win on the road is great, in my opinion, this O still has serious problems. Consider this, we faced one of the absolute defenses in college football. While Stidham was steady, he was still far from elite. Whitlow had a great game, but against once again, an awful defense. Don't take this post wrong, I loved a 15 pt win on the road, but hardly able to cheer too much for it against an 8th grade D. I still believe 7-5 is this teams ceiling this year. Anyway, it will spun to sound as if we beat a top 25 team on the road. Regardless, Gus is going nowhere for at least  1 to 2 more and that may be all it takes to sink the program and confidence of players even further. Still a win though. WDE! 

21 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

-- Says fans aren't rooting for team to fail, clarifies it's "all others." Leaves it at that.

Is he referring to the Auburn power brokers?

Gus is feeling the heat. No question about it.

13 minutes ago, CR said:

Gus is feeling the heat. No question about it.

He should feel the heat. What I saw was an offense that had limited success against a terrible defensive football team. Gus finally got an opponent we could run against even though they knew what was coming. We continue to ignore the middle of the field in the passing game. Unless I missed one, we threw three passes to the middle, and all three were successful, one a big play for 60+ yards. Our lack of attacking the middle more is purely insane.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's sad that our players understand the fan base more than the head coach.

👍 No likes left but absolutely. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think he means if we didn’t run it well Malik W would have stayed in more to help run...

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is how a leader sounds.

Capture+_2018-10-20-19-50-08.png

I agree he understands the frustration and agrees with not being satisfied with losing but I betcha anything he feels completely different about people pulling against the team to get changes they want.  Same for him personally I’m sure he wouldn’t be ok with being criticized for having a game like last weekend against MSU.  Because it wasn’t lack of effort was lack of execution on the zone read.  He and his group of guys getting fooled over and over.  

But he’s a great player and a great leader and has been since the day he gave his verbal commitment 

Blah, Blah, Blah....I love all the kids but we are going to get curb stomped three of our last four.....don't let a so-so offensive performance against a porous defense fool you. The only tweaks i saw were two plays by Willis. Our high school coach has to be replaced. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is how a leader sounds.

Capture+_2018-10-20-19-50-08.png

Class right there. WDE DD!

Don't think you ever had to worry about Gus catching stuff in the ear. One of mother's friends was an administrative assistant for a CEO for a major company (no idea who). That woman laughed about knowing Tuberville's number by heart cause she set up more than one conference call involving him, Tuberville, and other power AU guys after a loss.

Guarantee Gus knows that fans are thinking cause boosters are probably calling him non-stop and informing him. He isn't gonna come out in the papers and list the phone calls he got.

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's sad that our players understand the fan base more than the head coach.

I have to ....this is the most asinine post I have seen in a while. Just because he doesn't say it publicly doesnt mean he doesn't know what is going on. Its cool if you wany to be upset at the win-loss record but you don't know ish about what is happening behind closwd doors. The only people who have given up on CGM is the likes of you. The players haven't and the AD hasn't.  Gus ain't going nowhere and it does bery little, if any, good (other to show how much you and others hate CGM). It sounds like a broken record. Gus this, Gus that, Gus too much money, everybody in the world knows our struggles but as fans we yend to go way over the top. Live in the glass half full world sometimes, its a lot less stressful.

3 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

I have to ....this is the most asinine post I have seen in a while. Just because he doesn't say it publicly doesnt mean he doesn't know what is going on. Its cool if you wany to be upset at the win-loss record but you don't know ish about what is happening behind closwd doors. The only people who have given up on CGM is the likes of you. The players haven't and the AD hasn't.  Gus ain't going nowhere and it does bery little, if any, good (other to show how much you and others hate CGM). It sounds like a broken record. Gus this, Gus that, Gus too much money, everybody in the world knows our struggles but as fans we yend to go way over the top. Live in the glass half full world sometimes, its a lot less stressful.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5bcc8dba69544d6845

31 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

You should really come around here during the off-season.  I was a big Gus defender.   He's absolutely lost me though and I freely admit that.  Losing to a mediocre MSU and a bad Tennesse team will do that.

As for saying I don't know what's going on behind the scenes: you're right.  But what statements have you seen from Gus that shows he understands our fan base at all over the last six years?  When a 21 year old LB can eloquently put his pulse on the situation better than the 50+ year old HC, well I find that to be an issue.  Sometimes we as fans need to hear these things.  Yeah, the season sucks.  But that little bit of honesty from a leader basically saying the fan anger is justified is refreshing.  It shows that at least someone inside the program has the same expectations that we do.

I go back to last year's loss at LSU when Gus said "it isn't the end of the world".  That's not something I ever want to hear out of of our coach.  Every loss should piss them off to no end.  Great coaches hate losing more than they love winning.  I want that and I just don't see it.

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

This is the most asinine post I’ve seen in a while....

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

There are far more people in this world that have given up on Gus than believe in him at this point. Also, you have no idea what the players and AD think, so cool it on the righteous rant. What have you seen from Gus that makes you think he is aware of anything except his seat warming up? I hate to always sound like I’m bashing the guy, but it’s because I had high hopes for him. Heck, everybody did; all we had was hope because he had only been a head coach for one year. The reality is he has consistently been more of a disappointment than a joy, and unless you like average seasons with grave letdowns, that’s a fact.

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

There are far more people in this world that have given up on Gus than believe in him at this point. Also, you have no idea what the players and AD think, so cool it on the righteous rant. What have you seen from Gus that makes you think he is aware of anything except his seat warming up? I hate to always sound like I’m bashing the guy, but it’s because I had high hopes for him. Heck, everybody did; all we had was hope because he had only been a head coach for one year. The reality is he has consistently been more of a disappointment than a joy, and unless you like average seasons with grave letdowns, that’s a fact.

Like.

Archived