Malzahn post game

aubiefifty

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I was thinking about this and I have to change my opinion...I’ve been asking for a coach who is consistent....well ol Gus is headed for five straight seasons of four or more losses....that’s pretty damn consistent.

True. We are consistent. 

2b83ed2cbb3db7a48f76044926612515.gif

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

I was told by quite a few on here when we lost to UCF that bowl games were pretty much insignificant. 

I was told that too fwiw. Pretty sure Brad said  that

On 10/20/2018 at 7:13 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If he considers Willis coming into hand the ball off a tweak.....

Anyway, Im glad to see all our S-talking is finally getting to his ears, hopefully it lights a fire under someone somewhere on the coaching staff. 

It's a shame it has to come to that. He should be self-motived. Why does it take the rumblings of the AU fanbase and threats related to losing his job for Gus to have "fire" and make changes? We shouldn't be going through the same "song" year 6. 

18 hours ago, mayor4522 said:

We need a break from your 1st grade grammar; however point taken.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It's a shame it has to come to that. He should be self-motived. Why does it take the rumblings of the AU fanbase and threats related to losing his job for Gus to have "fire" and make changes? We shouldn't be going through the same "song" year 6. 

Agreed. He has got to be pissing off 95% of the fanbase and alums. The 5% sunshine pumpers- who cares what they think

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m not upset over anything, so I guess so. I think Auburn gave him job security and Gus will stay. Firing an eight win coach with the contract that Gus has is just as reckless as the contract itself. 

Your last 3 posts regarding job security are pretty confusing. Not really sure the exact point you’re attempting to make. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m not upset over anything, so I guess so. I think Auburn gave him job security and Gus will stay. Firing an eight win coach with the contract that Gus has is just as reckless as the contract itself. 

Agree. We have dug ourselves into a hole. We hire average coaches, and when the produce average results, we fire them. As a result, coaches demand longer contracts, larger salaries, more guarantees, and bigger buyouts. Then we we fire them the next coach, realizing he is going into a minefield, is going to demand a longer contract, a larger salary, more guarantees, and a bigger buyout. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I think the only way out of this is to not make a rapid fire and hire decision. If Gus is not the right guy, take a full year to raise the funding to buy out the contract. Take a full year to identify and vet potential candidates. Then work during the 2019 season to narrow that list to who you want to interview. Put the feelers out during the 2019 season. Work with the agent(s) early, so you are ahead of the other schools looking to hire a new coach.

Honestly, the way Texas A&M approached Jimbo Fisher last year, and the way we approached Bobby Petrino in 2003 seem to be the right approach.

Also, consider an young, up and coming coach out of Group of Five or FCS school. I don't see how we can afford a $25 million buyout and "splash hire" coach. Accept that if you get a young guy who is successful, he might be hired away. Also accept that if you get a young guy who is not successful, it won't cost you an arm and a leg to get rid of him. We should be willing to accept that a coach might get hired away. When was the last time an Auburn head coach was hired away to be head coach somewhere else? (You have to go back very far) When was the last time an Auburn assistant was hired away to be a head coach somewhere? (Petrino to Louisville in 2003 is the last one I can recall).

If you are willing to let a coach be hired away, then you are ready to negotiate to keep them. We don't understand that because we had never been in that position before. Coaches get skilled agents to negotiate for them. We should hire an expert negotiator to represent us.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

I was told by quite a few on here when we lost to UCF that bowl games were pretty much insignificant. 

Well, I think we were told it was insignificant for about 3 weeks leading up to the game when some guys were not going to play, etc.  

It only became significant when we lost...:)

11 minutes ago, chimes said:

Not really sure the exact point you’re attempting to make

I’m not sure why. I literally just made the point (again) in tbe post that you quoted. 

22 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/through-fiery-moments-personal-foul-and-all-malzahn-a-different/article_e68b4c82-d4af-11e8-a6ab-9ba7a106e1f7.amp.html

Deshaun speaks about his different swagger in this article. I agree with you. Have a swagger when you come into the season. Quit waiting until the crap hits the fans.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well, I think we were told it was insignificant for about 3 weeks leading up to the game when some guys were not going to play, etc.  

It only became significant when we lost...:)

The game has always been significant. I don't know where you are getting that from. Are they keeping score? Do they give you a W or an L based on the outcome? Then it is significant regardless of who is playing. I think you understand that.

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m not sure why. I literally just made the point (again) in tbe post that you quoted. 

Guess you’re just doing a poor job of making it

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I’ve been saying pump the brakes for two weeks now. I think we have a good shot at 8 wins. Can’t buyout a 31 million dollar contract over a disappointing 8 win season. We just gave Gus job security. You can’t take away job security over a historically Auburn record. WTH does job security even mean? 

You can’t  read this and tell me it isn’t a mess. “ We just gave him job security and you can’t take away job security over a historically Auburn record”. What does that mean? “WTH does job security even mean?” That certainly reads like you’re upset over his perceived loss of job security.

58 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Didn’t say that he deserved job security. Regardless, we gave it to him and many people on here went from 6 to midnight over “recruiting stability” when Gus got the contract. 

How did we give him job security if all indications are that the PTB are doing everything in their power to can him? Your post before seems to imply that you want his job to be secure because we might somehow get to 8 wins.

49 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The fact that he’s a perennial 8 win coach is exactly why you fire him

1 minute ago, chimes said:

You can read this and tell me it isn’t a mess. “ We just gave him job security and you can’t take away job security over a historically Auburn record”. What does that mean? “WTH does job security even mean?” That certainly reads like you’re upset over his perceived loss of job security.

How did we give him job security if all indications are that the PTB are doing everything in their power to can him? Your post before seems to imply that you want his job to be secure because we might somehow get to 8 wins.

Maybe "job security" is a poor choice of phrase.

FINANCIAL SECURITY, however, was definitely provided to Gus.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Did Mikey get a whole thread eliminated because I pissed him off???? Lmao wow. 

Huh?

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

FINANCIAL SECURITY, however, was definitely provided to Gus.

We also gave him the keys to the corvette. We are at the mercy of Gus. I don't believe he will be fired, even if he goes 5-7. Chizik was more than just losing games, he lost control of the coaches and players. Gus hasn't done that, he just sucks at the football.

4 minutes ago, chimes said:

That certainly reads like you’re upset over his perceived loss of job security.

I’m not sure where the confusion is. I’m not upset at anything for one. Gus received job security last year, and no matter how many people call for his head this year, his job will still be tbere.

7 minutes ago, chimes said:

We knew that last year and still gave him job security. Hence the reason why we won’t fire him this year. 

38 minutes ago, chimes said:

Your last 3 posts regarding job security are pretty confusing. Not really sure the exact point you’re attempting to make. 

I think the point that he is making is that coaches want job security to know they have time to run/build and even have some hiccups in their program.

If Gus hits the 8 win mark then he has done what historically is the traditional W/L record for AU football. Like it or not, that is us.

We gave the man an extension to provide him with security that he wouldn't lose his job over a bad season. Yes, this year shouldn't be that.

It now appears we want to pull that. So when we go hey good job, here is your extension and security it doesn't mean crap when we say it. They are just BS offers and the profession sees that.

I am actually in the same thought process on this thing as jeff that we need to ride it out some.

Now if you want to call me a sunshine pumper go ahead, but if you want to see some real sunshine pumping go look at the who we want to coach thread. Lol, way we run things... like Bob Stoops is really going just get giddy as a school girl, drop his panties, and coming running to Auburn. That's some good pumping right there.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I’ve been saying pump the brakes for two weeks now. I think we have a good shot at 8 wins. Can’t buyout a 31 million dollar contract over a disappointing 8 win season. We just gave Gus job security. You can’t take away job security over a historically Auburn record. WTH does job security even mean

IMO, from an emloyee’s point of view, job security is a myth in any job.  You’re just as good as your next decision, you know the ole “you can have 1000 atta boys that will be wiped out by 1 awww SH*T”. If you believe you have job security, you’re going to get lazy and complacent. I understand the need for coaching stability for recruiting concerns, but it’s not worth 32 million $. 

Auburn gave Gus a contract that was a “reward” for his previous season because Gus and Auburn believed he deserved the raise and contract extension.  Now, because of his handling of this season (a definite awww SH*T), his job is in jeopardy.  Does he deserve more time?

Self motivation is a good thing.  “Job Security” is opposite of self motivation.  I always go back to the mindset that I have to earn it, every day.

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

You know the rest.

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

We need a break from your 1st grade grammar; however point taken.

if you just have to be a grammer nazi can you at least post in red ink like you are a school teacher or something? personally i stand and applaud all us lazy typers.

Archived