Malzahn post game

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

you can have 1000 atta boys that will be wiped out by 1 awww SH*T”

I love this.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Self motivation is a good thing.  “Job Security” is opposite of self motivation.  I always go back to the mindset that I have to earn it, every day.

I agree with this, however this wasn’t translated into his contract. We didn’t reward last season with a lucrative incentive based contract as we should have. We gave him a contract that locked Auburn down for a while based on tbe nature of the buyout unproportionally favoring Gus, not Auburn. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no surety that he will get to 7 wins this year. Let's see how it plays out. I don't think he gets to a bowl game if we only win 6 games in the regular season and suffer embarrassing losses to UGA and Bama. I think it is going to be based on how we compete in our next three games. Him beating North Texas in the toilet bowl won't shift paradigms in my mind.

10 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Now if you want to call me a sunshine pumper go ahead, but if you want to see some real sunshine pumping go look at the who we want to coach thread. Lol, way we run things... like Bob Stoops is really going just get giddy as a school girl, drop his panties, and coming running to Auburn. That's some good pumping right there.

Nobody wants to see that.  Certainly a new meaning of "sunshine"...

19 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

The thread about anyone have TUF contacts? 

More likely because it was a rumor thread getting out of control.

I think I’m starting to be pro-letting him stay one more year. Not because he deserves it, but because after next year his buyout will be more payable, and there’s naturally due to be a better coaching crop next year. The question is, what record would he need to reach to save his job next year under this scenario? Would 8-4 justify a firing and avoid looking bad? I think there’s potential to be a lot worse, but when everyone is predicting a horrible season from Gus he does reach 8 wins. I think letting him stay after drastically underachieving this year will make us look better, but still.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Some folks seem to have made it their life's work to destroy Gus

Bless your heart. Gus's sh***y performance is the only thing that's going to destroy Gus. If you're worried about his future, you'd best hope he do a better job. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I love this.

I agree with this, however this wasn’t translated into his contract. We didn’t reward last season with a lucrative incentive based contract as we should have. We gave him a contract that locked Auburn down for a while based on tbe nature of the buyout unproportionally favoring Gus, not Auburn. 

This is correct, my comments were not based on the ridiculous contract, but the mindset an employee should be motivated to do a good job.  If the employee buys into that his contract gives him an out because he is entitled to something, that employee is not the type you want.

To the point Auburn should have written into the contract to ensure his motivation:  Absolutely correct, if Gus balked at it, Auburn should have let him go to Arky. I don’t know the particulars of the negotiations, so I can’t speak to that.

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

The question is, what record would he need to reach to save his job next year under this scenario?

The more tbe buyout goes down, the less of an obstacle to fire him, thus less job security.  Gus will need at least 9 wins, 10 to be comfortably safe 

We are going to have a fun offseason I can already y’all you that now. With us probably having a new QB next year, and with Gus refusing to give the current backups garbage time PT,  Gus is not setting himself up for success very well right now. I hope his master plan isn’t to ride a TF QB. 

29 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

IMO, from an emloyee’s point of view, job security is a myth in any job. 

Which is why nobody should be pissed at Gus having a top agent that took our boys to town on that buyout if you endorse that thought. Be pissed at the people that considered the offer to be acceptable to present to Gus and Sexton or that took what they presented Auburn.

41 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I think the point that he is making is that coaches want job security to know they have time to run/build and even have some hiccups in their program.

If Gus hits the 8 win mark then he has done what historically is the traditional W/L record for AU football. Like it or not, that is us.

We gave the man an extension to provide him with security that he wouldn't lose his job over a bad season. Yes, this year shouldn't be that.

It now appears we want to pull that. So when we go hey good job, here is your extension and security it doesn't mean crap when we say it. They are just BS offers and the profession sees that.

I am actually in the same thought process on this thing as jeff that we need to ride it out some.

Now if you want to call me a sunshine pumper go ahead, but if you want to see some real sunshine pumping go look at the who we want to coach thread. Lol, way we run things... like Bob Stoops is really going just get giddy as a school girl, drop his panties, and coming running to Auburn. That's some good pumping right there.

Well said and I appreciate you trying to explain what he meant. Like another poster above stated, I think Gus has more financial security than job security. Does his massive contract make it harder to fire him? Sure, but it also adds higher expectations of job performance.  I think it could be argued that the more $ a person makes, the less “job security “ they have. I think this is especially true of coaches.

2 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Which is why nobody should be pissed at Gus having a top agent that took our boys to town on that buyout if you endorse that thought. Be pissed at the people that considered the offer to be acceptable to present to Gus and Sexton or that took what they presented Auburn.

Did you read the rest of the post or just stop there?  I’m not pissed at Gus because his agent got a ridiculous contract, I’m pissed at Gus for getting lazy and complacent.  He usually doesn’t figure things out for 3 or 4 games, now it’s 8 games and fans still don’t know what we have.  I’m not sure Gus does either.

When a contract is that lopsided, more is expected from the employee, not less.

1 minute ago, chimes said:

Well said and I appreciate you trying to explain what he meant. Like another poster above stated, I think Gus has more financial security than job security. Does his massive contract make it harder to fire him? Sure, but it also adds higher expectations of job performance.  I think it could be argued that the more $ a person makes, the less “job security “ they have. I think this is especially true of coaches.

I’m just glad you’re on the same page now. It took a while, but you caught on. 

4 minutes ago, chimes said:

I think it could be argued that the more $ a person makes, the less “job security “ they have.

It “could” be argued for sure if the terms didn’t significantly favor the coach and not the school.

6 minutes ago, chimes said:

I would agree with that. Head coach is like a CEO and those guys get their golden parachutes. If they didn't, then with the demands, nobody would take those jobs now.

I believe that regardless of the pay you should always be hiring with greater expectations in mind. You have to be reasonable with your organizations past/current metrics though when doing this.

What we can't do in my opinion is make our head coaching job look like it is a year/year basis constantly.

Don't get me wrong, I understand locking coaches down and not overly locking ourselves in also. I would probably do something like give a new coach 5 years at the start which gives them one full recruiting class to go through. Then after that follow with 2 or 3 year extensions.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Did you read the rest of the post or just stop there?  I’m not pissed at Gus because his agent got a ridiculous contract, I’m pissed at Gus for getting lazy and complacent.  He usually doesn’t figure things out for 3 or 4 games, now it’s 8 games and fans still don’t know what we have.  I’m not sure Gus does either.

When a contract is that lopsided, more is expected from the employee, not less.

I did read the rest. I thought it was an excellent phrase that demonstrated why Gus/Sexton getting the best they could was justified. It was directed at the people mad at him for accepting that contract not you personally.

I agree that more not less should be expected, just like we should have expected more out of those big money individuals on our side that were involved in this contract.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Is there a good reason why you’re such an a**hole?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

There is no surety that he will get to 7 wins this year. Let's see how it plays out. I don't think he gets to a bowl game if we only win 6 games in the regular season and suffer embarrassing losses to UGA and Bama. I think it is going to be based on how we compete in our next three games. Him beating North Texas in the toilet bowl won't shift paradigms in my mind.

Hey! My sister lives near Denton and Unneccessary Roughness was filmed at UNT. Don't project on them!!

2 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I agree that more not less should be expected, just like we should have expected more out of those big money individuals on our side that were involved in this contract.

Well said. I don’t necessarily think Leath should be fired over the contract, but I do believe his actions were detrimental to Auburn.   If there are more of the same, he should get fired. I root for stability first and foremost, though. From there, the coaching changes can work themselves out.

14 minutes ago, chimes said:

Is there a good reason why you’re such an a**hole?

I don’t know what you’re talking about man. You keep accusing me of being upset about something and then this. You can hit the ignore button. Wouldn’t bother me either way. :cheers:

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t know what you’re talking about man.

40 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This doesn’t strike you as a bit overly condescending? 

I may be rehashing what others have said, but it seems to me that context keeps getting lost in this thread and the other "fire gus" type threads.

Gus was coaching for his job after LSU 2017, and that after four previous roller coaster seasons.  It isn't like AU would be canning a first year up and comer after one disappointing season.  Heck tv announcers are pointing out the flaws in our offense.

Coaches know they have to win in their profession, and they know about what Malzahn has done and failed to do here.  They know who his agent is and with a little research they can probably figure out who he made the deal with in the AU administration. I think people on both sides of the argument agree it shouldn't have been made. 

All this to say:  if the buyout is too big for AU to stomach, then I can understand giving Gus another year. But the notion that firing Gus this early into the new extension is going to look bad for AU just seems like  nonsense to me.  The coaching community is going to see it for what it is.  AU has been plenty patient with Gus.  The only coaches who are going to get scared off by Gus' firing are the ones looking for a lottery payout like he got while coasting to retirement. 

For the others, they will still see that AU is a school with great resources where you can win big if you are up to the job.  

10 minutes ago, chimes said:

This doesn’t strike you as a bit overly condescending? 

Not really. You have been just as critical of the delivery of my message that others received without issue.  The ignore button may be imperfect, but, like I said, it’s there. Utilize it. Or not. I don’t care. 

Archived