Malzahn post game

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Not really. You have been just as critical of the delivery of my message that others received without issue.  The ignore button may be imperfect, but, like I sad, it’s there. Utilize it. Or not. I don’t care. 

So you were just born that way, huh? 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, lurtz said:

I may be rehashing what others have said, but it seems to me that context keeps getting lost in this thread and the other "fire gus" type threads.

Gus was coaching for his job after LSU 2017, and that after four previous roller coaster seasons.  It isn't like AU would be canning a first year up and comer after one disappointing season.  Heck tv announcers are pointing out the flaws in our offense.

Coaches know they have to win in their profession, and they know about what Malzahn has done and failed to do here.  They know who his agent is and with a little research they can probably figure out who he made the deal with in the AU administration. I think people on both sides of the argument agree it shouldn't have been made. 

All this to say:  if the buyout is too big for AU to stomach, then I can understand giving Gus another year. But the notion that firing Gus this early into the new extension is going to look bad for AU just seems like  nonsense to me.  The coaching community is going to see it for what it is.  AU has been plenty patient with Gus.  The only coaches who are going to get scared off by Gus' firing are the ones looking for a lottery payout like he got while coasting to retirement. 

For the others, they will still see that AU is a school with great resources where you can win big if you are up to the job.  

Ahhh....   I see the point of confusion here.  

The Keep Gus Clock begins in Tulsa where Gus created a world class QB out of baling wire, duck tape and 3 Wendy's Frosty spoons with a broken set of channel locks.  

The Fire Gus Clock begins just before our last big wins or at the beginning of the current season if no big wins occurred.  

11 minutes ago, lurtz said:

All this to say:  if the buyout is too big for AU to stomach, then I can understand giving Gus another year. But the notion that firing Gus this early into the new extension is going to look bad for AU just seems like  nonsense to me.  The coaching community is going to see it for what it is.

11 minutes ago, lurtz said:

For the others, they will still see that AU is a school with great resources where you can win big if you are up to the job.  

Bingo.

One other thing about that buyout: the next guy will know that we're paying 2 salaries and we won't be in a hurry to make it 3. 

Our cupboard is stocked with underclassmen and a killer recruiting class built. Our AD is young, energetic and savvy. We have the most charismatic coach in college sports turning hoops into a conference power and he's shown an eagerness for the various AU programs to leverage each other. Not a hint of trouble with the NCAA. I think a lot of other guys in the business are salivating over what Gus has here. 

1 minute ago, chimes said:

6AA1904D-A516-44A2-A3CA-8AB173FCC270.jpeg

Your rear end is apparently chapped pretty bad. 

Thoughts and prayers. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bingo.

One other thing about that buyout: the next guy will know that we're paying 2 salaries and we won't be in a hurry to make it 3. 

Our cupboard is stocked with underclassmen and a killer recruiting class built. Our AD is young, energetic and savvy. We have the most charismatic coach in college sports turning hoops into a conference power and he's shown an eagerness for the various AU programs to leverage each other. Not a hint of trouble with the NCAA. I think a lot of other guys in the business are salivating over what Gus has here. 

I’ll add that no coach wants to go to a place that doesn’t value winning. They want to know that the AD and power brokers are striving for the best. A school who’s complacent and accepts mediocrity probably isn’t going to dish out the the big $ on things like football only facilities.

36 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Ahhh....   I see the point of confusion here.  

The Keep Gus Clock begins in Tulsa where Gus created a world class QB out of baling wire, duck tape and 3 Wendy's Frosty spoons with a broken set of channel locks.  

The Fire Gus Clock begins just before our last big wins or at the beginning of the current season if no big wins occurred.  

You sir are a clear-eyed realist.

Scary thought: you reckon Sexton got the terms you quoted into the contract?

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think a lot of other guys in the business are salivating over what Gus has here. 

^That right there.  The right coach is going to think "thank you Auburn for exercising that buyout and giving me my shot to coach SEC football at a great school".

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I did read the rest. I thought it was an excellent phrase that demonstrated why Gus/Sexton getting the best they could was justified. It was directed at the people mad at him for accepting that contract not you personally.

I agree that more not less should be expected, just like we should have expected more out of those big money individuals on our side that were involved in this contract.

I didn’t take it personally, I just wanted to answer Jeff regarding the myth of job security.  There is plenty of blame for this contract to go around.  We, as fans, do not have any say in these matters. All we can do is sit back and watch it unfold. People blaming Auburn and the big money call it JABA, others call our season Gussing it up.

Auburn has been living in the Chinese curse:  May you live in interesting times.

1 hour ago, lurtz said:

I may be rehashing what others have said, but it seems to me that context keeps getting lost in this thread and the other "fire gus" type threads.

Gus was coaching for his job after LSU 2017, and that after four previous roller coaster seasons.  It isn't like AU would be canning a first year up and comer after one disappointing season.  Heck tv announcers are pointing out the flaws in our offense.

Coaches know they have to win in their profession, and they know about what Malzahn has done and failed to do here.  They know who his agent is and with a little research they can probably figure out who he made the deal with in the AU administration. I think people on both sides of the argument agree it shouldn't have been made. 

All this to say:  if the buyout is too big for AU to stomach, then I can understand giving Gus another year. But the notion that firing Gus this early into the new extension is going to look bad for AU just seems like  nonsense to me.  The coaching community is going to see it for what it is.  AU has been plenty patient with Gus.  The only coaches who are going to get scared off by Gus' firing are the ones looking for a lottery payout like he got while coasting to retirement. 

Oh, this has been said before. It just has not been acknowledged nor refuted by those of the opposite opinion. I tend to believe that the coaching community probably feels that CGM does less with more. I remember this past summer, an anonymous source saying as much. Either way, like you, I don't buy into this idea that no coach would want to come up here just because our current coach is dropping the ball.

25 minutes ago, lurtz said:

You sir are a clear-eyed realist.

Scary thought: you reckon Sexton got the terms you quoted into the contract?

:thedeal:   Well...  Slippin' Jimmy does work hard for his clients...

You can realistically win a national title here. There are not many schools in the country that can offer this type of opportunity. Other coaches already know Gus isn't a big-time caliber coach. They're the ones updating the offensive system he created. They know it needed to be changed and can tell why we aren't doing well on O. 

We wouldn't be letting him go because of this season, it is more of a body of work thing. I know we may sacrifice some of the things he does well in order to correct some of the things he doesn't do well, but his deficiencies are so amateur hour that it's probably worth it.

5 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

We also gave him the keys to the corvette. We are at the mercy of Gus. I don't believe he will be fired, even if he goes 5-7. Chizik was more than just losing games, he lost control of the coaches and players. Gus hasn't done that, he just sucks at the football.

So he gets to suck as his job for the next 2 - 3 years. Well, that just sucks. I just hate to see these kids talent go to waste and missing out on the success they're more than capable of achieving if they were in the right hands. 

7 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

So he gets to suck as his job for the next 2 - 3 years. Well, that just sucks. I just hate to see these kids talent go to waste and missing out on the success they're more than capable of achieving if they were in the right hands. 

Just lower your bar...I mean, trying to become the first back to back Birmingham Bowl champs is a lofty goal. I can see the t-shirts now...Auburn owns the Ham

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

I think I’m starting to be pro-letting him stay one more year. Not because he deserves it, but because after next year his buyout will be more payable, and there’s naturally due to be a better coaching crop next year. The question is, what record would he need to reach to save his job next year under this scenario? Would 8-4 justify a firing and avoid looking bad? I think there’s potential to be a lot worse, but when everyone is predicting a horrible season from Gus he does reach 8 wins. I think letting him stay after drastically underachieving this year will make us look better, but still.

That's my issue with bringing him back next year. Only to be fired in the middle of the season next year? Likely IMO b/c we open with Oregon. If their QB Herbert comes back (should be a high draft pick) it's not going to be pretty at Jerry World. We have to go to A&M, Florida, Arkansas and LSU by Nov. 1st next year. With a brand new QB and probably still questions with the OL. I can easily see him being fired game 6 after another potential loss at LSU. Unless Gus performs a miracle the rest of the season and into next season i think the board is over Gus and already has a list for next year. It's just unfortunate that we basically can't cut the cord after this season and have to sit through another year with Gus. But he's not going to survive next year.

9 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That's my issue with bringing him back next year. Only to be fired in the middle of the season next year? Likely IMO b/c we open with Oregon. If their QB Herbert comes back (should be a high draft pick) it's not going to be pretty at Jerry World. We have to go to A&M, Florida, Arkansas and LSU by Nov. 1st next year. With a brand new QB and probably still questions with the OL. I can easily see him being fired game 6 after another potential loss at LSU. Unless Gus performs a miracle the rest of the season and into next season i think the board is over Gus and already has a list for next year. It's just unfortunate that we basically can't cut the cord after this season and have to sit through another year with Gus. But he's not going to survive next year.

I have a feeling that next year will be worse as well. Quite the conundrum we have here. 

26 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I don't know whats going to happen, but it doesn't seem like they'll pay it. What sucks is we had an undefeated season in 2004, 6 years later we win a national championship, 3 years later we make it back to a national championship. 2004-2013 was a helluva a run, and it felt like we were on the verge of elite football, similar to Clemson. 

But sadly its fizzled out after 5 years, and the reason for that is bad offense. It doesn't seem like we have the roster or the coaching to get back there next year. Especially at the QB position. Gus could've played Malik Willis in the 4th quarter yesterday, and give him some reps for next year, but he kept playing Stidham. My belief is we wait until 2020-2021 to fire him. Maybe we get Kelly Bryant next year to give Gus a DT-QB.

The buyout was a monumental mistake. I'm sure we could pay it if we needed too, but the negative publicity that would come (rising tuition, players not getting a nickel, huge facilities upgrades), would likely be painful. The individuals involved in the contract need to be removed from decision-making for Auburn.

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I don't know whats going to happen, but it doesn't seem like they'll pay it. What sucks is we had an undefeated season in 2004, 6 years later we win a national championship, 3 years later we make it back to a national championship. 2004-2013 was a helluva a run, and it felt like we were on the verge of elite football, similar to Clemson. 

But sadly its fizzled out after 5 years, and the reason for that is bad offense. It doesn't seem like we have the roster or the coaching to get back there next year. Especially at the QB position. Gus could've played Malik Willis in the 4th quarter yesterday, and give him some reps for next year, but he kept playing Stidham. My belief is we wait until 2020-2021 to fire him. Maybe we get Kelly Bryant next year to give Gus a DT-QB.

The buyout was a monumental mistake. I'm sure we could pay it if we needed too, but the negative publicity that would come (rising tuition, players not getting a nickel, huge facilities upgrades), would likely be painful.

Agree. I think we can pay it right now.  I didn't see us firing him this season unless we went 5-7. 6-6 he's likely staying (50/50) unless we know for sure who the replacement will be and he's clear-cut top HC candidate and we need to get him before next season. Or it may depend on our performance against UGA and Bama. I just don't see how he survives next season doing the same with 6 or 7 wins. That's why i think if he gets ugly midway through next season....i doubt he'll make it until the end of the season b/c money will certainly not be an issue next year when we already have the money to replace him after this season. 

Regarding Malik...i was furious when we didn't let him stay in the game. It's like you really think we're going to convert on 3rd down when you take Malik out and put in the throwing QB? We won...yeah but nothing changed Saturday. We finally played a OL and DL that we could dominate. The only "tweak" i did see was actually using Malik and letting Worm get more reps. I would love to have Kelly but if i was a family member of his...i'd tell him NO! 

49 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Just lower your bar...I mean, trying to become the first back to back Birmingham Bowl champs is a lofty goal. I can see the t-shirts now...Auburn owns the Ham

lol. You have a point there brother. At this point, all i can do is laugh about it. I do keep forgetting that's the only bowl game Gus has won. 

32 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

The buyout was a monumental mistake. I'm sure we could pay it if we needed too, but the negative publicity that would come (rising tuition, players not getting a nickel, huge facilities upgrades), would likely be painful. The individuals involved in the contract need to be removed from decision-making for Auburn.

The bold makes me so mad. Clemson and Dabo stole our spot. Gus did his part for Clemson as he's allowed them to get 2 SEC wins in marquee matchups against us. I can't  believe Clemson is in the top tier of the sport while we are floundering. 

33 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

lol. You have a point there brother. At this point, all i can do is laugh about it. I do keep forgetting that's the only bowl game Gus has won. 

Yeah man, if he wins it this year and next that’s a THREE TIME Birmingham Bowl Champ!! If that doesn’t say “successful coach” then I don’t know what does..

19 hours ago, Zeek said:

I bet Gus eats his waffles with no syrup, not butter, no toppings at all, and uses the fork and knife.

You are a wrestler of words supreme for the situation at hand!

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

The bold makes me so mad. Clemson and Dabo stole our spot. Gus did his part for Clemson as he's allowed them to get 2 SEC wins in marquee matchups against us. I can't  believe Clemson is in the top tier of the sport while we are floundering. 

I long for the good old days when finishing 7-5 was considered a good season for CLemson of which was not that many seasons ago.

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

I said it the other day. Clemsoning was never as bad as Gussing is. Especially since Dabo ended Clemsoning and Gussing gets worse each year. 

Archived