Incredible side of Malzahn

aubiefifty

Auburn players see 'incredible' side of Gus Malzahn after unsportsmanlike conduct outburst

Updated 5:52 PM; Posted 5:30 PM

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after an outburst directed toward an official in the fourth quarter of the Tigers' win at Ole Miss. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

2 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Gus Malzahn doesn't often lose his cool on the sideline. He'll show signs of frustration when things go sideways, and he has been known to let out some emphatic booms when things are going well.

Early in the fourth quarter against Ole Miss on Saturday afternoon, that changed.

Malzahn went off on an official at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, earning a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during Auburn's 31-16 win against the Rebels. The exchange happened moments after a holding penalty against right tackle Austin Troxell wiped out a long run by Malik Miller. The two flags pushed Auburn all the way back to its own 32-yard line and ultimately led to a punt.

"Well, I'm gonna fight for our players, that's what happened," Malzahn said when asked about the penalty.

Malzahn declined to discuss what exactly prompted the outburst or what was said between him and the official. Malzahn, who is known for his proclivity to avoid curse words, said he did not let one slip when giving the official an earful on the sidelines Saturday afternoon.

Instant analysis: Auburn breaks through against Ole Miss

Auburn snapped its two-game losing streak by creating second-half separation against Ole Miss in a blowout win.

Multiple Auburn players who were interviewed after the game said they don't know what Malzahn said, though defensive end Marlon Davidson conceded it "had to be something bad" given how animated Malzahn was and the resulting penalty.

"That was the first time I've ever seen Coach Malzahn just get that upset in a game for us," Davidson said. "I mean, it was incredible. That gave us drive. When you see your coach fighting for you, you want to fight for your coach. I love Coach Malzahn. I hope he's here for a long time, especially with me."

Redshirt-junior left guard Marquel Harrell said he has seen that side of Malzahn before -- just never on gamedays. That type of reaction has only been solicited in practices before, and even then, it is pretty rare to see.

Following the penalty, as Auburn's offense marched back toward the new line of scrimmage at the Tigers' own 32-yard line, several offensive linemen turned toward the contingent of Auburn fans in the southeast corner of the stadium and tried to pump them up.

"It was exciting man, because Coach Malzahn is usually like a chill person, but then seeing him get the 15 yards, I was like, 'Yeah, Coach,' and super happy because I was yelling at the sideline," Harrell said. "I was like, yeah, just trying to get the crowd into it. I'm proud, man."

Malzahn's heated exchange with the official was personification of what linebacker Deshaun Davis described as a different side of the Tigers' embattled sixth-year head coach that the team has noticed throughout the week in practice. Malzahn has been more hands on in practice and active with players, and according to Davis, he has been more involved in game-planning in the last week, trying to make adjustments as the team was coming off a second straight loss to a team led by a first-year head coach.

"You could tell, I don't know what he's talking to himself about, but he has a different swagger about himself," Davis said. "I don't know if it's because we're in the position we're in. We're 5-3 or whatever our record is right now. But he's a different guy, I can tell you that."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You could tell, I don't know what he's talking to himself about, but he has a different swagger about himself," Davis said. "I don't know if it's because we're in the position we're in. We're 5-3 or whatever our record is right now. But he's a different guy, I can tell you that.".        Endless question- Why couldn't Gus just have the different swagger to start the season. 49 million should have a swagger guarantee built in IMO. 

Just now, gr82be said:

"You could tell, I don't know what he's talking to himself about, but he has a different swagger about himself," Davis said. "I don't know if it's because we're in the position we're in. We're 5-3 or whatever our record is right now. But he's a different guy, I can tell you that.".        Endless question- Why couldn't Gus just have the different swagger to start the season. 49 million should have a swagger guarantee built in IMO. 

Because that's not who he is IMO. He's feeling the heat and it's getting to him

Gus spent a lot of time congratulating the guys during the game today.  Then he goes off on a ref.  Maybe he's just trying to change his image a bit.  More human, less GusBot.jpeg

4 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Because that's not who he is IMO. He's feeling the heat and it's getting to him

You're correct. I just am dumbfounded that he does this stuff. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

You're correct. I just am dumbfounded that he does this stuff. 

I am too BUT if it gets the guys fired up maybe he should consider acting out of character a little bit

Took him 6 years to do something like this?

He's been different this week (since he's under fire)?

Actually not a very positive article TBH.  I would hope they'd expect this "version" of Gus every week.... there's only 12-15 of these weeks per year.  Shouldn't be that hard for a $49M coach to fight like that ALL the time.

10 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I wouldn’t be mad at all about anything. Knowing I was About to get paid 32 mill to ride off in the sunset 

What happens if the players get a fire lit under them and finish 9-3? I know how long the odds are against that, but what were the odds of beating UGA and Bama last year?

20 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

What happens if the players get a fire lit under them and finish 9-3? I know how long the odds are against that, but what were the odds of beating UGA and Bama last year?

I imagine quite a few fans would be mad on this board.

The Gus rant was awesome to watch. I think that's a major part of his problem. He doesn't express his emotion often enough in front of the players and they (and we) think he doesn't care.  His problem is that he's a nice guy and he needs to be a little fiery.  And, on top of that, we've got a nice guy, goody two-shoes QB.  I'm NOT complaining about the character we have  on our team.  It's just that it can sometimes be viewed as putting yourself above others.  I am wondering if there's a disconnect with some of the players because of that.  Total speculation.  

10 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

You’d still have ignorant people saying he should be fired for losing to Team X

I would be thrilled and ticked off at the same time X 1000 fold.  If he pulled this feat off, I would imagine we would be seeing him on the side line for years come.  I doubt that this will happen though. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

The Gus rant was awesome to watch. I think that's a major part of his problem. He doesn't express his emotion often enough in front of the players and they (and we) think he doesn't care.  His problem is that he's a nice guy and he needs to be a little fiery.  And, on top of that, we've got a nice guy, goody two-shoes QB.  I'm NOT complaining about the character we gave on our team.  It's just that it can sometimes be viewed as putting yourself above others.  I am wondering if there's a disconnect with some of the players because of that.  

We need a bit of this at times in Gus when the team needs a spark. 

original_4a5736cacf4c28581d411b5bffee9f38.gif

54 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

It could change a few minds, but the overall inconsistency of the program has most peoples minds made up . 

2 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

It could change a few minds, but the overall inconsistency of the program has most peoples minds made up . 

Sounds like he could lead Auburn to 10-3 this year and 14-0 next year and some people would still have their pitchforks out, huh?

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Sounds like he could lead Auburn to 10-3 this year and 14-0 next year and some people would still have their pitchforks out, huh?

Nope. Doesnt  sound like that at all because that’s called fantasy land

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Nope doesn’t sound like that at all because that’s called fantasy land

I was being sarcastic. If people would still be questioning Malzahn after winning the last 6 games of the season, then they probably don't know that much about football. When Malzahn has had an experienced offensive line, he's won in the double digits all three times, including 2010. Give Grimes time to work with the O-linemen on their technical blocking ability, and maybe we'll be able to keep it up, no?

No, that's fantasy land. Right?

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I was being sarcastic. If people would still be questioning Malzahn after winning the last 6 games of the season, then they probably don't know that much about football. When Malzahn has had an experienced offensive line, he's won in the double digits all three times, including 2010. Give Grimes time to work with the O-linemen on their technical blocking ability, and maybe we'll be able to keep it up, no?

No, that's fantasy land. Right?

Rebuttal.

Losses to Tennessee and Mississippi State. Both whom are about to be 1-3 in the SEC. Reality, right? 

2-3 in the SEC 

5-5 since he signed his contract.

He has been given 6 years. 

Ok your turn.

Archived