Sign in to follow this  
aubiefifty

Incredible side of Malzahn

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Rebuttal.

Losses to Tennessee and Mississippi State. Reality, right? 

2-3 in the SEC 

5-5 since he signed his contract.

He has been given 6 years. 

Ok your turn.

 

Okay, let's see here. If he wins out this year, as I postulated, he'll have back to back 10 win seasons for the first time in program history (aren't you the one who was carrying on about that?). But that's inconsistent?

I understand the frustration, but you've already made up your mind. Gus has won more in the same amount of time as a collegiate head coach as Nick Saban to begin his career, but because he's not already on the level we ALL want him to be, you want to run him off so he can take what he's learned elsewhere and win big.

Oh, you forgot that he's still figuring out this whole head coaching with the big boys thing? With fans like that, it's no wonder he'd consider leaving the program, is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




10 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Okay, let's see here. If he wins out this year, as I postulated, he'll have back to back 10 win seasons for the first time in program history (aren't you the one who was carrying on about that?). But that's inconsistent?

I understand the frustration, but you've already made up your mind. Gus has won more in the same amount of time as a collegiate head coach as Nick Saban to begin his career, but because he's not already on the level we ALL want him to be, you want to run him off so he can take what he's learned elsewhere and win big.

Oh, you forgot that he's still figuring out this whole head coaching with the big boys thing? With fans like that, it's no wonder he'd consider leaving the program, is it?

If he wins? Hmm speculation and fantasies. I need some facts.

Nick Saban has nothing to do with Gus or our struggles on the offensive end. Irrelevant.  

He is still learning in year 6? This is Jeremy Pruitt first year as a head coach, as well as Miss state coach first year in a power 5 conference soooo...

Quote me where I said anything about back to back 10 win seasons. I will wait. 

Edited by DAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Sounds like he could lead Auburn to 10-3 this year and 14-0 next year and some people would still have their pitchforks out, huh?

Cool story, Bro.  But you left out rainbows, unicorns, flowers and small woodland creatures.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DAG said:

If he wins? Hmm speculation and fantasies. I need some facts.

Nick Saban has nothing to do with Gus or our struggles on the offensive end. Irrelevant.  

He is still learning in year 6? This is Jeremy Pruitt first year as a head coach. How did he find a way to get his team to defeate a Coach in his sixth year who just played in the SEC championship last year? 

Quote me where I said anything about back to back 10 win seasons. I will wait. 

Somebody on the board has been harping on that back to back 10 win seasons thing. I'm sorry if I couldn't pull up exactly who it was, but what does it matter?

Now, you need to make up your mind. Is it good that we played in the SEC Championship last year with an offense built around a player who was hurt, or is it bad that we lost due to that player being hurt and then being uninspired by playing Central Florida instead of in the Playoffs?

Nick Saban has nothing to do with Gus or our struggles, but he does make for an interesting comparison. You can't deny that he's on top of the college football coaching world right now, but in his sixth year as head coach of a Power 5 team, he had more than 7 wins one time. I use his track record to show that sometimes it takes a while for a coach to get everything figured out.

As for Pruitt, you're the one who said he's 1-3 in the SEC this year. No, we should not have lost that game, but you're ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater because it fits your tantrum better. Do you not think it's possible that maybe, just maybe, Malzahn is figuring things out, even if he's having to do it the hard way?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Cool story, Bro.  But you left out rainbows, unicorns, flowers and small woodland creatures.   

Realists don't get sarcasm, do they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gussypants pulling a rabbit out of his hat for one of the few SEC teams worse than us is no cause for celebration. Should this fantasy of him winning out come to fruition, I still want him gone. It wouldn't happen but Double Bubble isn't worthy of being out HC.

His history of inconsistency is why I hope he takes that buyout and disappears into obscurity.

Gus Malzahn: By The Numbers

As of Saturday, October 13th, 2018, Gus Malzahn is:

  • 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 1-4 in bowl games [5, 6]
  • 0-3 in bowl games vs. major conference teams
  • 0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 26-18 vs. SEC opponents
  • 10-9 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 4-5 vs. non-conference Power 5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them) [7, 9]
  • 4 straight seasons (and counting) with at least four losses
  • 1st loss to a non-major conference team in 27 years [9]
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) [12]
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Somebody on the board has been harping on that back to back 10 win seasons thing. I'm sorry if I couldn't pull up exactly who it was, but what does it matter?

Now, you need to make up your mind. Is it good that we played in the SEC Championship last year with an offense built around a player who was hurt, or is it bad that we lost due to that player being hurt and then being uninspired by playing Central Florida instead of in the Playoffs?

Nick Saban has nothing to do with Gus or our struggles, but he does make for an interesting comparison. You can't deny that he's on top of the college football coaching world right now, but in his sixth year as head coach of a Power 5 team, he had more than 7 wins one time. I use his track record to show that sometimes it takes a while for a coach to get everything figured out.

As for Pruitt, you're the one who said he's 1-3 in the SEC this year. No, we should not have lost that game, but you're ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater because it fits your tantrum better. Do you not think it's possible that maybe, just maybe, Malzahn is figuring things out, even if he's having to do it the hard way?

Well if you are going to attribute it to me it kind of matters, no?

I have never denied the NS is a great football coach. In fact I have gotten quite a bit of flack about it. I still don’t see the relevancy of what Nick Saban did at Michigan State has to do with Gus Malzahn? Michigan state wasn’t getting top 15 classes while NS was there. I am pretty sure he wasn’t getting paid as a top 5 coach at that time either. So how possibly can you compare those two? Either way it is irrelevant.

Yes Pruitt is 1-3 in the SEC. The Mississippi state guy is too. I will let you figure out the common denominator for those wins.

How am I having a tantrum? Lol. I am simply rebuttling what you are saying. I am sorry you don’t like it. 

So let me ask you this. Do you think the investment has equaled the production? You just said he is figuring out how to play with the big boys. But isn’t his contract that of big boy status? Or do you disagree?

 

Edited by DAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rednilla said:

Realists don't get sarcasm, do they?

Actually, you just don't do it well.  It looks like you started out with hyperbole and then just totally whiffed on making your point.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s sad that this was significant enough to write about. No wonder we are where we are. :(

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I wouldn’t be mad at all about anything. Knowing I was About to get paid 32 mill to ride off in the sunset 

I’m not sure where the money is going to come from but I don’t think Auburn University is going to pay much.  So, if we’ve got rich alumni (PTB) who will pony up i’d like to know who they are... names please.  No anonymous sources.  War Eagle  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

So let me ask you this. Do you think the investment has equaled the production?

 

Not yet, no. And I'm mad about the way the season has gone just as much as anyone. But in a thread that started with an article that had players quoted for supporting something about Malzahn, it does seem a little off that negativity still reigns to me. This is my reaction to someone telling me that most Auburn fans have made up their minds so much that even winning out for the rest of the season wouldn't make them feel differently about the head coach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old distract manager used to say that people either do what they need to do in their own or they have to be pushed.  Maybe Gus is someone that has to be pushed to do what he needs to do.  I’m sure the last week has sucked for him and this was just a result of that stress coming out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a Gus supporter until very recently. I am still giving him a chance to right this thing. It’s not the play selection im concerned with. It’s the lack of quality and depth at certain positions that gripes me. I am appalled at the fans who wanted us to lose to expedite this change. And you can’t say you support the players but still want the coach to fail. You can’t have both. But I will say this; you can’t use the inexperience still learning Nick Saban Michigan st. s***. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Not yet, no. And I'm mad about the way the season has gone just as much as anyone. But in a thread that started with an article that had players quoted for supporting something about Malzahn, it does seem a little off that negativity still reigns to me. This is my reaction to someone telling me that most Auburn fans have made up their minds so much that even winning out for the rest of the season wouldn't make them feel differently about the head coach.

 I don’t think most fans have but there are definitely some out there who want him gone period. There are others who are outwardly hoping our team loses. Both of these mindsets I am against . Nevertheless, it is Gus’s own fault he is in this mess. It’s up to him to fix it. Everything else IMO is ways to redirect where accountability lies. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Somebody on the board has been harping on that back to back 10 win seasons thing. I'm sorry if I couldn't pull up exactly who it was, but what does it matter?

Now, you need to make up your mind. Is it good that we played in the SEC Championship last year with an offense built around a player who was hurt, or is it bad that we lost due to that player being hurt and then being uninspired by playing Central Florida instead of in the Playoffs?

Nick Saban has nothing to do with Gus or our struggles, but he does make for an interesting comparison. You can't deny that he's on top of the college football coaching world right now, but in his sixth year as head coach of a Power 5 team, he had more than 7 wins one time. I use his track record to show that sometimes it takes a while for a coach to get everything figured out.

As for Pruitt, you're the one who said he's 1-3 in the SEC this year. No, we should not have lost that game, but you're ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater because it fits your tantrum better. Do you not think it's possible that maybe, just maybe, Malzahn is figuring things out, even if he's having to do it the hard way?

He has lot's of things to figure out, and seemingly endless latitude to do so. But stupid crap like playing the whole game, repping back-up quarterbacks, not calling the same play (complete with tip-offs) over and over again- those sort of things, one would assume he understood before he hoodwinked the world into thinking he's a coach. Serious question- why has he not learned and adjusted these stupid 101 things that we do wrong?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

He has lot's of things to figure out, and seemingly endless latitude to do so. But stupid crap like playing the whole game, repping back-up quarterbacks, not calling the same play (complete with tip-offs) over and over again- those sort of things, one would assume he understood before he hoodwinked the world into thinking he's a coach. Serious question- why has he not learned and adjusted these stupid 101 things that we do wrong?

These are the things that lead me to believe he needed more time as a padawan.  Five more years under a successful SEC coach might have made a huge difference in those things he's screwing up/ignoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was the decision-maker on Gus' status, considering:

1. The amount of the buyout;

2. The talent on the team and the commitment list;

3. Stability of the program being healthy (it is, aside from the inconsistency of Gus);

I would give Gus next season if he wins 2 of the next 4, as disappointing as 7-5 will be.

My knee-jerk after last week was to get rid of him regardless, and beating OM isn't a catalyst to change that. All of the considerations I think make it difficult to do this year. Just my take, and I know the chances are better than good to get molested by UG and bammer.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

What happens if the players get a fire lit under them and finish 9-3? I know how long the odds are against that, but what were the odds of beating UGA and Bama last year?

It would be awesome but it’s all about how we win. If he can show he’s learned from mistakes that’s one thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say the team fights for him. People compare him to Chiz’s last season but that team quit (or at least seemed to) and this team never has.

It is flustering to see young guys have to be as involved and AU really not being able to reload every year after he has been around this long. However, it always seems they are so close to turning the corner. That is what is so aggravating. Do they need a new head coach or a new O coordinator with full control.  Would Gus let that happen? You can see glimpses of the possibilities but they seem to fade away in a big burning garbage can. I will keep hoping He can figure it out until he is gone. War Eagle!

Edited by wildlife alumni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we really praising Gus for his actions which directly stalled a drive? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been a Gus fan, but I was willing to give him a shot, b/c hey, you never know.  I was concerned about his lack of head coaching experience at the college level, and I think his inexperience has been evident over his tenure here.  I know people say he is still learning and I am sure that's true.  I think what bothers many fans is the amount of his salary.  If he was making between 3-4 million/year people may have more patience, but he wanted to get paid like one of the top coaches in the country.  That's fine, but with that large a pay bump comes greater expectations.  I believe he has failed to live up to those expectations.  Its not always about losing, but how we lose and the apparent unwillingness to make adjustments to compensate for team deficiencies are troubling.  

As for the people that want the team to lose to expedite Gus's departure that's their own opinion, they are welcome to it, and I even understand where they are coming from.  I don't like that mentality, but I am not here to judge their worthiness as Auburn fans. I get that in pro sports sometimes its better to "tank" to help the team build for the future, but unfortunately CFB doesn't work that way.  Losing doesn't really help AU at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, selias said:

Gussypants pulling a rabbit out of his hat for one of the few SEC teams worse than us is no cause for celebration. Should this fantasy of him winning out come to fruition, I still want him gone. It wouldn't happen but Double Bubble isn't worthy of being out HC.

His history of inconsistency is why I hope he takes that buyout and disappears into obscurity.

Gus Malzahn: By The Numbers

As of Saturday, October 13th, 2018, Gus Malzahn is:

  • 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 1-4 in bowl games [5, 6]
  • 0-3 in bowl games vs. major conference teams
  • 0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 26-18 vs. SEC opponents
  • 10-9 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 4-5 vs. non-conference Power 5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them) [7, 9]
  • 4 straight seasons (and counting) with at least four losses
  • 1st loss to a non-major conference team in 27 years [9]
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) [12]
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

He also has the best win percentage since Terry Bowden, and is not far behind Bowden and Dye. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, corchjay said:

You’d still have ignorant people saying he should be fired for losing to Team X

Guess I would be one of them because we will be in the same boat next year and every year after that. MEDIOCRE is all he will be. I like how people are ignorant because they don’t have the same views as others. But then again I guess some people like starting at zero every year. I was never a Malzahn fan all the way back to 2009 

Edited by WDE427
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this