Incredible side of Malzahn

aubiefifty

what I don't understand is the seeming failure to have multiple good dual threat quarterbacks on the team if that is what it takes to make your offense work. And how we seem to be low on quality offensive linemen. The frustration of having a good to great season this year and watch it go down the tubes because of lack of depth at positions that should have been filled by too many busts is killer. Don't expect to beat Bama every year while Saban is there but I expect to be second or third in the west every year.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t think most fans have but there are definitely some out there who want him gone period. There are others who are outwardly hoping our team loses. Both of these mindsets I am against . Nevertheless, it is Gus’s own fault he is in this mess. It’s up to him to fix it. Everything else IMO is ways to redirect where accountability lies. 

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with this. To some degree, the problems we've been having are due solely to the lack of consistency with the offensive line, but that does ultimately fall on the head coach, and it is certainly his job to fix it. That's part of what I think his tirade was about: letting the players know he has their back.

And, honestly, as much as I've defended Malzahn, and as much as I still think we need to wait and see, it pisses me off to see us lose to Tennessee. I hated the LSU loss, but they've proven they're for real, and it took a last second field goal to beat us. I was okay with the State loss, or at least as okay as I can be with a loss to a team that isn't just that much better than us (which there shouldn't be any of, with our history and the way Auburn is a recruiting tool in and of itself).

But what really got to me was the notion that even winning out for the season wouldn't be enough for a large part of the fan base because Gus has been inconsistent. Even with those three losses, finishing 9-3 with wins in Athens and Tuscaloosa, as improbable as that is, would be plenty enough to validate Malzahn in a season with an almost brand new O-line.

2 hours ago, jAUSon said:

He has lot's of things to figure out, and seemingly endless latitude to do so. But stupid crap like playing the whole game, repping back-up quarterbacks, not calling the same play (complete with tip-offs) over and over again- those sort of things, one would assume he understood before he hoodwinked the world into thinking he's a coach. Serious question- why has he not learned and adjusted these stupid 101 things that we do wrong?

This I agree with, particularly not getting the backup QBs reps. Someone else should have been taking snaps in the fourth quarter, whether it was Malik Willis, Cord Sandberg, or Joey Gatewood, SOMEBODY has to be ready, both in the case of Stidham going down and for next season, if Stidham does indeed go pro (I don't see it based on his play this season, but apparently the pro talent evaluation guys still have him going in the 2nd or 3rd round). It's like Gus is already planning to start a true freshman next year, and much as I'm excited about Bo Nix, true freshmen QBs don't tend to fare well in the SEC.

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

This I agree with, particularly not getting the backup QBs reps. Someone else should have been taking snaps in the fourth quarter, whether it was Malik Willis, Cord Sandberg, or Joey Gatewood, SOMEBODY has to be ready, both in the case of Stidham going down and for next season, if Stidham does indeed go pro (I don't see it based on his play this season, but apparently the pro talent evaluation guys still have him going in the 2nd or 3rd round). It's like Gus is already planning to start a true freshman next year, and much as I'm excited about Bo Nix, true freshmen QBs don't tend to fare well in the SEC.

Put Stidham in an offense like New England where he has options over the middle and an o line that protects consistently.  He'll shine.  His biggest issue is that we don't call plays that accentuate his strengths.

3 hours ago, selias said:

Gussypants pulling a rabbit out of his hat for one of the few SEC teams worse than us is no cause for celebration. Should this fantasy of him winning out come to fruition, I still want him gone. It wouldn't happen but Double Bubble isn't worthy of being out HC.

His history of inconsistency is why I hope he takes that buyout and disappears into obscurity.

Gus Malzahn: By The Numbers

As of Saturday, October 13th, 2018, Gus Malzahn is:

• 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 1-4 in bowl games [5, 6]
  • 0-3 in bowl games vs. major conference teams
  • 0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 26-18 vs. SEC opponents
  • 10-9 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 4-5 vs. non-conference Power 5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them) [7, 9]
  • 4 straight seasons (and counting) with at least four losses
  • 1st loss to a non-major conference team in 27 years [9]
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) [12]
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

One point to make: Who in college football has a better record against Alabama in the last 5 years?

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Put Stidham in an offense like New England where he has options over the middle and an o line that protects consistently.  He'll shine.  His biggest issue is that we don't call plays that accentuate his strengths.

That's fair, and going to New England would give him a year or two to sit behind Brady before he had to be the man.

31 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

One point to make: Who in college football has a better record against Alabama in the last 5 years?

No one but Hugh freeze is tied with CGM in that retrospect. Also went 2-3 against NS and beaten him in back to back seasons mind you. Alabama can be beat. No one is asking Gus to beat Bama every year but he needs to be a lot more consistent. If he can find a way to be 2-3 against Bama then there is no reason for him to be 3-3 against Mississippi state. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

No one but Hugh freeze is tied with CGM in that retrospect. Also went 2-3 against NS and beaten him in back to back seasons mind you. Alabama can be beat. No one is asking Gus to beat Bama every year but he needs to be a lot more consistent. If he can find a way to be 2-3 against Bama then there is no reason for him to be 3-3 against Mississippi state. 

Sure there is: growing pains. It's a great deal easier to get your team up for a rivalry game than it is a run of the mill SEC game, and Malzahn has not mastered that aspect yet. This is why we so often seem to play to the level of our competition.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

I imagine quite a few fans would be mad on this board.

And rightfully so, IMO. Because if that happens (including beating a bama team that looks unstoppable), then those 3 stupid losses* become that much more important (and inexcusable). Just like last year, we should have beaten LSU, and had we beaten them, we possibly make the playoffs even with the loss in the SECCG.

* The losses to MSU and UT are inexcusable. LSU is debatable, but that's probably only because they seem to be good now, and we've looked so bad.

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Sounds like he could lead Auburn to 10-3 this year and 14-0 next year and some people would still have their pitchforks out, huh?

Good question. 

Yeah, if all of that happened (including 14-0 next year), I'd feel like maybe he turned a corner. 

But, if somehow we finish 10-3 this year....

I'd definitely be happy about winning, but I'd also be mad that we squandered 3 (at least 2) games that we shouldn't have lost, and that cost us the playoffs.

I'd also be skeptical about next year. Does Gus carry this (whatever this is) into next year and continue? Or does he get this "I'm not on the hotseat anymore" mentally and revert back to losing to teams that he shouldn't lose to (only to beat good teams when his job is on the line)? 

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't base a season on 1 game.

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Sure there is: growing pains. It's a great deal easier to get your team up for a rivalry game than it is a run of the mill SEC game, and Malzahn has not mastered that aspect yet. This is why we so often seem to play to the level of our competition.

So he's an excellent coach, but it's taking him six years to get his Braveheart speeches down pat?

I imagine Saturday morning he gave an awesome speech, setting the new season goal at bowl-eligable, making Ole Miss our rally point, knowing it really is their last chance.

And as far as getting your team up for a rival game- he loses most of those. So what's easy about that?

13 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Because that's not who he is IMO. He's feeling the heat and it's getting to him

yep.  Get prepared for a 2016 type mental breakdown.  Popcorn is at the ready, gents.

Gus tenure at AU can be summed up with this: "What? They're going to fire me? Really? Perhsps I should start paying more attention and doing some of that head coaching stuff with this awesome pool of talent I have here?"

3 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

I'd also be skeptical about next year. Does Gus carry this (whatever this is) into next year and continue? Or does he get this "I'm not on the hotseat anymore" mentally and revert back to losing to teams that he shouldn't lose to (only to beat good teams when his job is on the line)? 

Gus, IMO, will continue his early season woes next year.  People on here will point to statistics saying that is a myth, but it’s not. Gus will come home to roost and Auburn will pay the price (yes it’s an early prediction for the first game).  Consider what he was faced with this year with an inexperienced Oline and the RB position.  Now look forward and what we will be faced with early next year.

1.  A new QB with little or no game experience.  Gus has had the opportunities this year to get the backup QBs some reps but has         refused to do so for whatever reason.

2. We will have a more experienced Oline, but Grimes has not been able to improve the line this year. (except last Saturday against the worst run defense in the nation).

3.  Most of our RBs will be back including Boobee.  A plus right?  Has Gus developed a solid backup RB this season?  We have seen in the past when the #1 RB is out, the offense has suffered mightily. We have also seen, when we have two solid RBs (Pettway and Johnson and Mason and Cam Artis-Payne) only one is used to a great extent.  With Johnson and Pettway, one or the other were alway hurt.  Boobee is on the same track. 

4.  Most of our WR corp will be back.  Another plus right?  Who will throw it to them?  A true freshman, a 20 something RS Freshman or a Junior that has had little to no meaningful passes in actual games?  But Gus will have all spring and summer/fall practice to get these guys ready right?  Like he did with JJ6, SW, JFIII and Stidham.  Stidham will be gone, I’m sure he has had enough of this offense. JMO

Our first game is with Oregon next season.  They lost yesterday to Wash St.  It was 27-0 at half as Wash St’s passing attach hurt Oregon.  Oregon adjusted at half and mounted a comeback that got them close at the end of the game.  Half time adjustments are foreign to Gus, he sees no need for them especially if he is in the lead because what is there to adjust?  We’ve got the lead, right?  The man is not going to change his stripes.  JMO

Not a Gus fan, but an Auburn fan.

(Obligatory disclaimer: This season has been crappy. I don't know if Gus is the answer, and i've got gripes aplenty about pure coaching things. I am not pleased and do not think we are getting our money's worth. Auburn football may cause side effects such as headache, heartburn, desire to take long walks, and loud outbursts.)

RE: Whether people would be mad if we win out because we "squandered" an opportunity -

There is a difference in being "mad" and firing a coach. I think it's reasonable on its face to be mad in that situation. It's not reasonable at all to be mad enough to fire a coach in that situation, particularly if he's done it two years in a row. I'd tell you how I really feel about it, but I'd probably draw a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty myself and get ejected.

Seriously, though. I want people to think through if it did happen (yes, I know it won't, but humor me). A coach has a team last year that wins 10, beats two biggest rivals while they were ranked #1, gets a giant contract in terms of money and years which would lead one to think they have some stability, beats a top 10 UW team to start the next year, and then, to end a season (here is where speculation starts) beats a top 15 team, and then again beats 2 biggest rivals on their home field, while one of them is ranked #1.

And you want to fire him.

WHAT COACH IS GOING TO COME TO A SCHOOL THAT DOES THAT TO A COACH?

It's asinine.

9 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

(Obligatory disclaimer: This season has been crappy. I don't know if Gus is the answer, and i've got gripes aplenty about pure coaching things. I am not pleased and do not think we are getting our money's worth. Auburn football may cause side effects such as headache, heartburn, desire to take long walks, and loud outbursts.)

RE: Whether people would be mad if we win out because we "squandered" an opportunity -

There is a difference in being "mad" and firing a coach. I think it's reasonable on its face to be mad in that situation. It's not reasonable at all to be mad enough to fire a coach in that situation, particularly if he's done it two years in a row. I'd tell you how I really feel about it, but I'd probably draw a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty myself and get ejected.

Seriously, though. I want people to think through if it did happen (yes, I know it won't, but humor me). A coach has a team last year that wins 10, beats two biggest rivals while they were ranked #1, gets a giant contract in terms of money and years which would lead one to think they have some stability, beats a top 10 UW team to start the next year, and then, to end a season (here is where speculation starts) beats a top 15 team, and then again beats 2 biggest rivals on their home field, while one of them is ranked #1.

It's asinine.

You don’t have to worry about that because the idea of that happening is very unrealistic. I know people want to talk about last year, but last year team didn’t have the struggles that this team does on our offense, especially against inferior opponents. 

7 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

It's asinine.

This scenario is base on 2 assumptions:  1, we win out and 2, we fire him if we do.

Consider if he does win out under extreme stress, the BOT now knows what motivates Gus and it’s not the money.  If it were the money, he would have been more enthused during the post season last year.  He got complacent. He didn’t seem to care until we lost to UT and the TUF thing (another thread today) became public. This is what is frustrating some of the fan base.

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Who cares? Is that our only measure of success? I guess it must be for some. 

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

He's been here 6 years. How long should "growing pains" last? 

44 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

It's asinine.

Lost to Tennessee at home. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

1.  A new QB with little or no game experience.  Gus has had the opportunities this year to get the backup QBs some reps but has         refused to do so for whatever reason.

Absolutely maddening.

Archived