Incredible side of Malzahn

aubiefifty

Guys, teams come and go. A few years ago for a very brief period, Oregon was the team everyone was talking about but those days are long gone. Ditto UCLA and Oklahoma State, and plenty more.

2010 we win it all, talk of the nation,  then as HC in 2013, Gus overachieved and took us to the national championship game in which we nearly won, and we exceeded everybody’s expectations in that game versus a Florida State team who had beaten everyone on their schedule by an average of 35 points. We were very very much in the national discussion that year.   Forward to 2017 and we beat the pants off both teams that played for the national championship, we were the only blemishes on their records AND EVERYBODY KNEW IT.  WE HAVEN’T HAD TO LISTEN TO THE WORLDS WORST FANS ALL FRICKIN YEAR BECAUSE WE BEAT THEM LIKE DRUMS. and we were very very much in the national discussion at all times toward the end of the year. 

Teams like Texas find themselves down for an entire DECADE , Tennessee for TWO DECADES, Florida for years. Gus is inconsistent and it is maddening but man when he’s got it going, he’s got it going

I LIKE BEING TALK OF THE NATION ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Now, it’s pretty obvious that we are handicapped this year by a quarterback that just doesn’t have the complete set of tools that everybody thought he had.    Our vanilla offense is based on the realizations of that.  We are not throwing across the middle because he cannot read defenses nor can he see the field with any vision.  As it was mentioned earlier, he’s a good thrower of the football but not a great quarterback. So we work with what we have  

We have a good football team and we’re going to be better next year  War Damn Eagle  Let the Nate Craig Myers move on to obscurity.  and we will catch lightning in a bottle next year. That being said we DAMN sure need an excellent dual threat quarterback and I think we have a couple and a good one on the way.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Guys, teams come and go. A few years ago for a very brief period, Oregon was the team everyone was talking about but those days are long gone. Ditto UCLA and Oklahoma State, and plenty more.

2010 we win it all, talk of the nation,  then as HC in 2013, Gus overachieved and took us to the national championship game in which we nearly won, and we exceeded everybody’s expectations in that game versus a Florida State team who had beaten everyone on their schedule by an average of 35 points. We were very very much in the national discussion that year.   Forward to 2017 and we beat the pants off both teams that played for the national championship, we were the only blemishes on their records AND EVERYBODY KNEW IT.  WE HAVEN’T HAD TO LISTEN TO THE WORLDS WORST FANS ALL FRICKIN YEAR BECAUSE WE BEAT THEM LIKE DRUMS. and we were very very much in the national discussion at all times toward the end of the year. 

Teams like Texas find themselves down for an entire DECADE , Tennessee for TWO DECADES, Florida for years. Gus is inconsistent and it is maddening but man when he’s got it going, he’s got it going

I LIKE BEING TALK OF THE NATION ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Now, it’s pretty obvious that we are handicapped this year by a quarterback that just doesn’t have the complete set of tools that everybody thought he had.    Our vanilla offense is based on the realizations of that.  We are not throwing across the middle because he cannot read defenses nor can he see the field with any vision.  As it was mentioned earlier, he’s a good thrower of the football but not a great quarterback. So we work with what we have  

We have a good football team and we’re going to be better next year  War Damn Eagle  Let the Nate Craig Myers move on to obscurity.  and we will catch lightning in a bottle next year. That being said we DAMN sure need an excellent dual threat quarterback and I think we have a couple and a good one on the way.

First off the reason why we haven't had to listen to those fans are because their teams went on to bigger and better things in the post season while we settled for the peach bowl. If you think the only thing handicapping this offense is #8 then you obviously only follow the football during games. As an AU fan I'm tired of the flash in the pan or catching lightning in the bottle crap, I want to see consistency. Yes, excluding '15 and this year, we've been in the conversation but we've also dropped games to teams like a '14 A&M or '16 uga. How many "excellent" dual threat QBs have we either missed on or haven't turned out here? Gus didn't need an "excellent" DT QB at Arky or Tulsa so why here at AU? I think some of us think way too much into what the offense was with NM under center in '13 

8 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

First off the reason why we haven't had to listen to those fans are because their teams went on to bigger and better things in the post season while we settled for the peach bowl. If you think the only thing handicapping this offense is #8 then you obviously only follow the football during games. As an AU fan I'm tired of the flash in the pan or catching lightning in the bottle crap, I want to see consistency. Yes, excluding '15 and this year, we've been in the conversation but we've also dropped games to teams like a '14 A&M or '16 uga. How many "excellent" dual threat QBs have we either missed on or haven't turned out here? Gus didn't need an "excellent" DT QB at Arky or Tulsa so why here at AU? I think some of us think way too much into what the offense was with NM under center in '13 

I mean, I would definitely rather be up and down constantly than go through a decade of being crap like Texas--or almost two decades like Tennessee. Aside from that, I completely agree with you.

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I mean, I would definitely rather be up and down constantly than go through a decade of being crap like Texas--or almost two decades like Tennessee. Aside from that, I completely agree with you.

I’ll add to this, the coaches usually mentioned people want either wouldn’t come here or fall somewhere else within a year or two of being the next up and comer. 

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

And to put things into perspective 2 weeks ago we lost to that same Tennessee program

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Yes! This! 

Finally someone understands! 

i  just wanted to give you your first like.  lol  welcome to hell.

6 minutes ago, Wings said:

Gus has had some bad luck. Jeremy Johnson didn’t pan out. Sean White got hurt. Pettway got hurt. Kerryon got hurt going into SECCG. Its hard when your rival across the state is buying all the best players and you’re trying to run a clean program. The Gus offense will still work. Just needs the right QB, a good OL and no injuries,

I’m one of the biggest Gus supporters on this board. But he’s had a long time to get the right qb and build Oline depth. I know his offense will work and like his offense. But part of his responsibility for his massive contract is to build these pieces to make it work. He is falling short in this area. I also think it is partially bad luck. But he’s being paid to have better luck. I understand the displeasure. I share it. But I don’t think there’s many coaches who would yield consistently better results that would come. We owe him tons of money. It is what it is. I’m just glad J Jacobs is gone and had nothing to do with his new contract so we don’t have to hear to moaning about that. 

29 minutes ago, Wings said:

Gus has had some bad luck. Jeremy Johnson didn’t pan out. Sean White got hurt. Pettway got hurt. Kerryon got hurt going into SECCG. Its hard when your rival across the state is buying all the best players and you’re trying to run a clean program. The Gus offense will still work. Just needs the right QB, a good OL and no injuries,

WTF?

18 minutes ago, Wings said:

What does that mean?

it means he likes to attack people that do not believe the same way he does. even if you have never said anything to him. if you still pull for your team when they struggle he thinks you are the anti christ. he can however be a great guy when he chooses but he has let some of the trolls on the board get him angry. and wings there are newbies on here that are nothing more than trolls stirring up stuff and sitting back and laughing about it. and i am not sure many people realize it.

Just now, OnthePlains said:

It means Way Too Funny

why are you picking on newbies? you should be welcoming them to the board. it is one thing to disagree and another to insult folks all the time because you do not like their viewpoint.

Just now, Wings said:

I may have picked the wrong board.  

wings this is a decent board. give it time.there is just a lot of anger from some folks. do not give up on us.

there are a lot of great people on this board. and there is an iggie function to ignore those wanting to insult and not discuss. plus you need to check out stats posts and jmr's as well. plus get havea guy that tries to give a heads up on injuries now and then, and we also have some families of football players. worms mother is on here and she is a class act. you will meet some wonderful folks on here.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

wings this is a decent board. give it time.there is just a lot of anger from some folks. do not give up on us.

um for the record i am not a mod or anything other than a poster. just a fan of the board.

5 minutes ago, Wings said:

I may have picked the wrong board.  

It's the right board if you want honest opinions from basically decent folks.  I don't know anyone here who doesn't love Auburn and the Auburn Tiger football team.  But we all definitely differ on what's best.  You really picked a difficult time to join because the frustration level with Gus and the team's erratic play is high.  Stick with it and you'll find your groove.   

1 hour ago, CAReeves2010 said:

For crying out loud, you are pointing to specific losses?????   NOBODY WINS THEM ALL!  NOBODY.  Dear lord........

I hope that in your day job, you are not a manager or a business owner or a supervisor. I would absolutely hate to have to work for you

5 minutes ago, Wings said:

Ok cool. I just love Auburn and like to discuss it. I get the frustration. I just think Gus is the best we can get right now.

Look man, sorry for coming off like a jerk. We all love Auburn. We want whats best but see it two different ways. I’ve been grumpy and said some stupid stuff. Welcome to the board. 

18 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

For crying out loud, you are pointing to specific losses?????   NOBODY WINS THEM ALL!  NOBODY.  Dear lord........

I hope that in your day job, you are not a manager or a business owner or a supervisor. I would absolutely hate to have to work for you

Calm down buddy no need for the all caps. I'm pointing out specific losses that have knocked us out of the CFP race, games we had no business losing. Those type of losses are why Gus is in the situation he's in. You probably wouldn't last long working for me, bringing all caps into a calm disagreement lol. 

CAReeves was kind enough to insinuate that I only know Auburn football from what I watch on TV. Now, let me tell you something——the reason the Alabama fans have not gloated about their national championship to an Auburn fan, is that their national championship was tainted, spoiled, virtually MEANINGLESS. Courtesy of one Gus Malzahn and the boys. 

In my extended group of friends I have several Crimson Tide alumni. One is a former player. None of them wanted to talk football at all after we beat them. One guy said something about a national championship, and I said “well, we sure beat the crap out of you” and he just shut up. We ruined the season for Alabama last year that is a giant feather in our caps and it warms my heart to think about it

Also everybody that likes to badmouth recruiters, and X’s and O’s doesn’t want to realize that some of these young men just don’t pan out, and that the coaches who are giving 70 hours a week to the program know a lot more than us armchair quarterbacks  

ITS GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER  

P.S. I bet we punch some highflying team right in the nose before the end of the year is out

1 minute ago, MaitlandTiger said:

CAReeves was kind enough to insinuate that I only know Auburn football from what I watch on TV. Now, let me tell you something——the reason the Alabama fans have not gloated about their national championship to an Auburn fan, is that their national championship was tainted, spoiled, virtually MEANINGLESS. Courtesy of one Gus Malzahn and the boys. 

In my extended group of friends I have several Crimson Tide alumni. One is a former player. None of them wanted to talk football at all after we beat them. One guy said something about a national championship, and I said “well, we sure beat the crap out of you” and he just shut up. We ruined the season for Alabama last year that is a giant feather in our caps and it warms my heart to think about it

Also everybody that likes to badmouth recruiters, and X’s and O’s doesn’t want to realize that some of these young men just don’t pan out, and that the coaches who are giving 70 hours a week to the program know a lot more than us armchair quarterbacks  

ITS GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER  

P.S. I bet we punch some highflying team right in the nose before the end of the year is out

I’m not trying to argue but I can tell you the bams I’m around here couldn’t care less they lost to us. They only care about championships while a good portion of our fanbase only cares about beating them. 

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m not trying to argue but I can tell you the bams I’m around here couldn’t care less they lost to us. They only care about championships while a good portion of our fanbase only cares about beating them. 

They stopped caring about winning the Iron Bowl?  Messages are impersonal And I don’t mean to argue either, and I did let it get personal! Sorry about that

1 minute ago, MaitlandTiger said:

They stopped caring about winning the Iron Bowl?  Messages are impersonal And I don’t mean to argue either, and I did let it get personal! Sorry about that

I think you got me confused with someone else but we cool man. I can only speak for the bams Ive known a long time and honestly no they’ve never been as concerned with winning the Iron Bowl. They measure their program by championships won, while we tend to measure ours by them. 

Archived