FGs

corchjay

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 110%.  I hope he will be able to get his accuracy back on track in that we will need this for the games to be played the rest of the season.

I know exactly what's wrong with Anders. I picked him as my man crush. I owe him an apology but so does Gus for making him kick from the parking lot. 

I  don't know what it would take to get his mind straight but we really need those points.      If AC can't be depended on, it's time to try someone else though perhaps there is no one else.   Guess anytime inside the 35 we might as well go for the 4th down play.....or else call plays in that part of the field with the expectation that we are in "four down" territory.     

I'm betting that in practice, the kid makes kicks from that distance with no problems....having heard during the Washington game that he was good from 60.   So....if you don't let him try those kicks, what happens when a game is on the line and we must have the kick?  

Not sure what the answer is but I'm pretty sure we can't just decide not to try FGs outside the 25.  

7 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Hopefully he knows that the fans aren't blaming him for anything. 

Unfortunately that may come at some point. Kickers are like closers in baseball. The spotlight is on them. 

It’s certainly a confidence thing but I don’t blame the coach. The coach has confidence in him. Punting inside the 30 damn sure ain’t going to help the kids confidence or anyone else’s confidence either. 

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

It’s certainly a confidence thing but I don’t blame the coach. The coach has confidence in him. Punting inside the 30 damn sure ain’t going to help the kids confidence or anyone else’s confidence either. 

Correct. The fact is AC is missing the kicks. Not the coach. He received a scholarship because ha has a big leg and is supposed to be a scoring weapon from 50+. These long kicks are not supposed to be something beyond his capabilities. 

13 hours ago, corchjay said:

Everyone knows I’m the Gus sunshine pumper but my god can we please stop trying FGs past 45 yards.

Last week it was 50, now it’s 45? What is AC on scholarship for? 

Answer: To kick FGs within his range.  

If we wanted a kicker automatic from 30 and in, we could’ve grabbed a walk on kicker and saved a scholly.

No one expects him to make them all. 50+ percentage from 50+ yards would be acceptable especially for a freshman. I expect a second string kicker to be used. Carlson is not just barely missing. Most are not close. 

Pretty sure we only signed 1 kicker 2 years ago in Carlson thinking we would be set for 3 or 4 years. I'm curious if he is better from one side over the other.  Seems he does better when he has to hook it instead of pushing it. 

22 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

We have a great directional punter and with our defense I’d rather just pin them inside the 10 instead of the 50+ FG.

With our anemic offense and stingy defense, I really don’t blame Gus for attempting the FGs. We have to generate points somehow. The blame on the misses from 50+ doesn’t really fall on AC or Gus imo. It is what it is.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

With our anemic offense and stingy defense, I really don’t blame Gus for attempting the FGs. We have to generate points somehow. The blame on the misses from 50+ doesn’t really fall on AC or Gus imo. It is what it is.

i agree to an extent take the points when you can.  but the percentage of a successful FG at this point is low so try something different punt them deep if you can and hopefully get the ball back again around midfield instead of missing the FG then stopping them and getting punted back around your own 20 the next possession

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

i agree to an extent take the points when you can.  but the percentage of a successful FG at this point is low so try something different punt them deep if you can and hopefully get the ball back again around midfield instead of missing the FG then stopping them and getting punted back around your own 20 the next possession

I think Gus is just desperate for points. He knows the odds are low but is hoping for a break at this point. If we are talking 45 yard FGs, I think not kicking it could also damage AC’s confidence as he’d assume a vote of no confidence by the staff. We should just ride out AC’s long distance woes. If a shooting guard starts out 0-11 from 3, keep shooting until it falls.. 

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

True but we are only scoring 1.6 points per FG attempt. At that point I’d rather have the field position edge

39 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

We have a great directional punter and with our defense I’d rather just pin them inside the 10 instead of the 50+ FG.

No kidding.  There's a credible logic to keeping the opposing team pinned deep in their own territory.  

11 minutes ago, AURealist said:

No kidding.  There's a credible logic to keeping the opposing team pinned deep in their own territory.  

The ball is going to have to bounce just right and not make it into the EZ if we are just going to pin them deep instead of kicking a 50 yard FG. Otherwise, we sacrificed a FG attempt for a touchback and only a net gain of maybe 15 to 20 yards in field position.

AC's issue is confidence.  I think we all agree he has the leg strength, but most of his misses he seems to be pushing the ball to one side or the other.  Maybe he is one of those guys that puts more pressure on himself than is warranted.  His brother was able to shake off misses, but AC is younger and is a different person.  It should also be considered that DC was one of the best/most dangerous kickers AU has ever had, it cannot be easy to follow him one year removed - there is a saying about being the guy to follow THE GUY.

Archived