FGs

corchjay

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wait, so Anders isn't consistently making them in practice, and Gus still consistently has him trying them in games?

Clean up on aisle 50+, Spin Team. 

Gus uses FGs as a crutch, anyway.  

It's high time The Genius™  shows us what he can do on O.  Tired of him saying guys aren't "executing".  He sounds like Bill Curry.  He's got great talent on this team and he should be able to move down the field against the likes of MSU and UTenn.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wait, so Anders isn't consistently making them in practice, and Gus still consistently has him trying them in games?

Clean up on aisle 50+, Spin Team. 

Yeah.. I mean, we know he can make them but not at the percentage Daniel was. I think Gus is just so used to being able to call on a Carlson for long FGs that he's just doing it out of habit now. :laugh:

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I’ve yet to hear the harm in trying them. The potential to making the FG is still there. I mean if you want to punt from the 35 yard line, I guess we can do that....

What college kickers can consistently make them? If we made half the 50 yard FGs that we attempted that would be gravy. Carlson has made one from 62 in the spring and it supposedly would’ve been good from 70. Keep hacking. If Bryce Brown misses 15 threes in a row, are you going to tell him to stop shooting them? 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Keep stirring that pot, loof. Your schtick of blaming everything on Gus is getting old. Gus isn’t the one missing tbe FGs.

If we can attempt a 45-53 yard FG, I see no reason why we shouldn’t work through AC’s growing pains. He’s already made a 51 yarder against Washington. He can make the kick. You act like Gus is deliberately sabotaging the kicker’s confidence. He’s not. 

The alternative of getting zero points and probably punting for a touchback isn’t worth the possibility for points. 

And God forbid the day that AC starts hitting them 50+ FGs. Insanity! 

Just throwing this out there. I don't think he is going to respond to you because I am pretty sure he blocked you. Not stirring the pot. Just saying, he probably doesn't even know you are quoting him. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Just throwing this out there. I don't think he is going to respond to you because I am pretty sure he blocked you. Not stirring the pot. Just saying, he probably doesn't even know you are quoting him. 

The ignore option isn’t that functional. I’ve  tried it. He knows when I quote him.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

The ignore option isn’t that functional. I’ve  tried it. He knows when I quote him.

Ahh, my bad bro.

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

How do you build up his confidence.?..not sure that kicking 35-40 yard FGs does much ….but as you note, kicking them regularly in practice should provide him with some confidence that kicks like that are easily within his range.   A few years ago one of our guys missed 5 FGs in a game but he kept at it and got back on target.  Just gotta be patient with the guy.....but I don't advocate giving up on him ...even for the long kicks.  JMO

Why wouldn't 35-40 yard FGs not build his confidence if he's making them? It's not much difference in basketball when a shooter is struggling...it's smart for them to get to the FT line so they can see the ball go in the hoop. It gives them a rhythm and helps their shooting stroke. Not much difference with a kicker. If he's consistently making FGs inside 50 yards then he helps build his confidence when we do send him out for 50+. I'm only saying STOP sending him out there for 50+ yard FGs at this point. I'm not saying don't let him kick at all. 

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ahh, my bad bro.

I know when he quotes me if he gets top-quoted. And I know when he goes full on creepy stalker mode and goes around giving me thumbs-down reactions on every comment. 

But you're right. I try not to engage, yet he persists. It's a little weird, but we already knew that, hence the attempt at ignoring. 

57 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What college kickers can consistently make them? If we made half the 50 yard FGs that we attempted that would be gravy. Carlson has made one from 62 in the spring and it supposedly would’ve been good from 70. Keep hacking. If Bryce Brown misses 15 threes in a row, are you going to tell him to stop shooting them? 

Bingo. 

Situational attempts are key. The boy has all the ability to do it. Pull the plug on 50+ attempts and you drain confidence just as much as putting him in tough situations. It shows no confidence in him - and more importantly his ability.  Then, in a must win situation when there’s no other option other than attempting a 53 yarder he’s toast. Feed him low stress attempts.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I know when he quotes me if he gets top-quoted. And I know when he goes full on creepy stalker mode and goes around giving me thumbs-down reactions on every comment. 

But you're right. I try not to engage, yet he persists. It's a little weird, but we already knew that, hence the attempt at ignoring. 

Haha, my bad for putting you out there. Go ahead and downvote my original post! 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha, my bad for putting you out there. Go ahead and downvote my original post! 

Haha, no worries. But I will return the favor no longer put you in the middle of this nonsense. 

49 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But you're right. I try not to engage, yet he persists. 

And I’ll continue doing so. Your tendency to run from your own backwash of inaccurate posts isn’t going to stop me from pointing out the errors from your Anti-Gus based messages. Maybe it’s too much to ask for you to defend your arguments from time to time; they are mostly trash after all, but I’m not above sounding off any ways. 

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And I know when he goes full on creepy stalker mode and goes around giving me thumbs-down reactions on every comment. 

This is where you lose any credibility that you have left. I’ve only given you one dislike. You can run and hide now. 

One more thing we need to consider when talking about Anders specifically is that none of us know him or how he approaches the kicks and how a miss affects him. He might be a cool cat and shrugs it off and is ready for the next attempt for all we know.

I don't like it when his first attempt in a game is beyond 45+. That's not really fair to him. Let him kick an extra point or two, maybe a shorter/easier FG, and then let him take a crack at a long one. At least by then he's either feeling it or not (and if not, hopefully he'll let Gus know they'd be better off punting/going for it).

4 minutes ago, Linayus said:

One more thing we need to consider when talking about Anders specifically is that none of us know him or how he approaches the kicks and how a miss affects him. He might be a cool cat and shrugs it off and is ready for the next attempt for all we know.

I don't like it when his first attempt in a game is beyond 45+. That's not really fair to him. Let him kick an extra point or two, maybe a shorter/easier FG, and then let him take a crack at a long one. At least by then he's either feeling it or not (and if not, hopefully he'll let Gus know they'd be better off punting/going for it).

I'm out of reactions but I totally agree. I'm guilty of speculation regarding the confidence stuff.

The extent to which Gus is mismanaging the player is very much up for debate. The extent to which he's mismanaging the games is a little more black and white. 

On 10/21/2018 at 7:21 AM, yngwie1995 said:

Hopefully he knows that the fans aren't blaming him for anything. 

Well, we kind of are and need to. He’s to be held to a certain standard. The kid is not even close to meeting those standards. 

44 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Well, we kind of are and need to. He’s to be held to a certain standard. The kid is not even close to meeting those standards. 

He's tied for 18th most field goals made in the country.

Of the 30 guys who are also tied for 18th or ranked higher, none have attempted 8 kicks over 50 yards. 1 guy has attempted 6, and he's missed 2 of them. 3 guys have attempted 4. 

Carlson has missed 1 kick inside of 40 yards. Only 6 of those guys have done better. Many have done worse.

Carlson has missed 3 kicks inside of 50 yards. Only 10 of those guys have done better. Many have done worse.

Carlson has attempted 21 kicks. Only 2 of those guys have attempted that many. Many have only attempted extra points.

Your criticism is hyperbolic and invalid. Please inform yourself before saying these things. More is being asked of our freshman kicker than almost anyone in the country, and he's doing his job better than most of them. He's more or less a top-10 kicker inside of 50 yards and who knows how he would be perceived if his coach weren't trotting him out there for longer kicks at an alarming rate. 

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Based on volume of attempts and over half of made FGs (6 of 11) are from inside thirty yards.

He's more or less a top-10 kicker inside of 50 yards

Based on your page, I don’t see how you can say this after accusing another of hyperbole. Many more have better stats inside of tbe 50. Even guys that are ranked “32nd ”in FG makes have stat lines that are way better.  See Rodrigo Blankenship or the Akron kicker.

Of the 30 guys who are also tied for 18th or ranked higher, none have attempted 8 kicks over 50 yards. 1 guy has attempted 6, and he's missed 2 of them. 3 guys have attempted 4. 

Carlson has missed 1 kick inside of 40 yards. Only 6 of those guys have done better. Many have done worse.

Carlson has missed 3 kicks inside of 50 yards. Only 10 of those guys have done better. Many have done worse.

Carlson has attempted 21 kicks. Only 2 of those guys have attempted that many. Many have only attempted extra points.

Your criticism is hyperbolic and invalid. Please inform yourself before saying these things. More is being asked of our freshman kicker than almost anyone in the country, and he's doing his job better than most of them. He's more or less a top-10 kicker inside of 50 yards and who knows how he would be perceived if his coach weren't trotting him out there for longer kicks at an alarming rate. 

Hey!    Easy with the facts, there, Hoss.  Somebody could get hurt.

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Hey!    Easy with the facts, there, Hoss.  Somebody could get hurt.

Hah. It's just frustrating when the lack of critical thinking bleeds over into crapping on a player- especially a freshman- who doesn't deserve it.

Archived