Offensive Identity/Scheme

corchjay

I’ve talked a lot about this over the years and especially this season.  Everyone thinks you can just in the season or even in the middle of a game just get away from your scheme or identity.  It’s very difficult and rarely works in a positive way.  

Perfect example played out tonight in the Ohio State/Purdue game.  The OSU offense is very similar to our own.  They have had some troubles running the football this season as well and have tried to go more to a passing offense.  They attempted 73... yes 73 passes in a 49-20 loss to Purdue.  

Better execution within your scheme determines all.  It’s the basis of every offense.  If you struggle running your base you’ll struggle trying to add wrinkles.  

Here’s to continuing to execute better and win.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand scheme and identity.  What I don't understand is certain game decisions.  You put your running QB in the game for 2 plays and he hands the ball off both plays.  It's obvious to everyone that Ole Miss is ignoring the QB on the zone read.  Your running QB, who can take it to the house on any play does not run the ball.  Your non-running QB comes back in the game and 1 play later runs the ball.  I know I'm not real smart and it's probably way over my head, but I just don't get it.

5 minutes ago, saminbama said:

I understand scheme and identity.  What I don't understand is certain game decisions.  You put your running QB in the game for 2 plays and he hands the ball off both plays.  It's obvious to everyone that Ole Miss is ignoring the QB on the zone read.  Your running QB, who can take it to the house on any play does not run the ball.  Your non-running QB comes back in the game and 1 play later runs the ball.  I know I'm not real smart and it's probably way over my head, but I just don't get it.

personnel.gif

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

I’ve talked a lot about this over the years and especially this season.  Everyone thinks you can just in the season or even in the middle of a game just get away from your scheme or identity.  It’s very difficult and rarely works in a positive way.  

Perfect example played out tonight in the Ohio State/Purdue game.  The OSU offense is very similar to our own.  They have had some troubles running the football this season as well and have tried to go more to a passing offense.  They attempted 73... yes 73 passes in a 49-20 loss to Purdue.  

Better execution within your scheme determines all.  It’s the basis of every offense.  If you struggle running your base you’ll struggle trying to add wrinkles.  

Gus has always said his offense is a power run play action team.  This year they got away from that somewhat because they thought Stidham could throw Auburn to victory.  Yesterday they got away from that and went old school pound the ball and looked better.  Maybe it had to do with Ole Miss’s defense but it also had a lot to do with the team playing better.  I think this offense could be very successful  if it sticks to this game plan the rest of the season.

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Gus has always said his offense is a power run play action team.  This year they got away from that somewhat because they thought Stidham could throw Auburn to victory.  Yesterday they got away from that and went old school pound the ball and looked better.  Maybe it had to do with Ole Miss’s defense but it also had a lot to do with the team playing better.  I think this offense could be very successful  if it sticks to this game plan the rest of the season.

If that is Gus' philosophy/identity why has he not recruited for it?  Our OL is....less than good at run blocking.  Some might say poor when we're not playing the worst run defense in the country. 

1 minute ago, thrustmaxwell said:

If that is Gus' philosophy/identity why has he not recruited for it?  Our OL is....less than good at run blocking.  Some might say poor when we're not playing the worst run defense in the country. 

I’m sure Gus hasn’t avoided recruiting OL.  The ones we have weren’t poorly rated and many are still underclassmen.  They looked pretty decent run blocking yesterday and Boobee did a great job waiting for the holes to open.  TaMu will tell me if I’m blinded by a bad defense but yesterday was the first game I’ve seen Auburn commit to the run.

17 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

It was because ole miss  is dead last in run defense in the SEC. Your confidence will sky rocket when you can just do what you want, anytime you want. Texas A&M is #1 in rush defense, so we will see how confident they are in two weeks. I remain skeptical.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

It was because ole miss  is dead last in run defense in the SEC. Your confidence will sky rocket when you can just do what you want, anytime you want. Texas A&M is #1 in rush defense, so we will see how confident they are in two weeks. I remain skeptical.

Whether it’s successful or not against TaMu Auburn has to establish the run game to be successful.  It can’t give up and start trying to throw its way downfield with bubble screens.  Should be a good game with a rested team

We got away from running the ball because our oline is not good. We can’t lean on the passing game because they can’t give Stidham 5 or 6 seconds to throw the ball. Our qb simply is a good thrower not a good player. He is slow in decision making and rarely improvises well. The passing schemes might not be the best to utilize what we have but a solid ground game would make the passing schemes viable (see last season). 

10 hours ago, corchjay said:

Well said. Regardless of yesterdays opponent, it sure seems like our o-line was in the right place at the right time as much as they’ve been all year. And with that, most of what we tried to do worked the way it was supposed to. Just read where Gus is 7-0 after bye weeks, so fingers crossed. 

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Whether it’s successful or not against TaMu Auburn has to establish the run game to be successful.  It can’t give up and start trying to throw its way downfield with bubble screens.  Should be a good game with a rested team

Never said they shouldn’t . Just saying they played the worst rushing defense in the SEC. I am not going to get roped in because they were successful running the ball agaisnt a team who can’t stop the run. Unfortunately, they play the best running defense in the sec in two weeks. Better way to see where this team is at and if they can adjust. 

50 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Had a lot to do with OM defense being so weak.  We have improved a hair on the OL but not enough to run the ball successfully against good defenses.  

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

We got away from running the ball because our oline is not good. We can’t lean on the passing game because they can’t give Stidham 5 or 6 seconds to throw the ball. Our qb simply is a good thrower not a good player. He is slow in decision making and rarely improvises well. The passing schemes might not be the best to utilize what we have but a solid ground game would make the passing schemes viable (see last season). 

Bingo.  

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Well said. Regardless of yesterdays opponent, it sure seems like our o-line was in the right place at the right time as much as they’ve been all year. And with that, most of what we tried to do worked the way it was supposed to. Just read where Gus is 7-0 after bye weeks, so fingers crossed. 

Hope having some success steamrolls and helps going forward because for a few games there the pressure and lack of success seemed to have the opposite affect and appeared we got worse.  

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

Very spot on description of Stidham. Never thought of it from that perspective

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Hope having some success steamrolls and helps going forward because for a few games there the pressure and lack of success seemed to have the opposite affect and appeared we got worse.  

This is the first time in Gus’ career we got worse during the season excluding injuries to a key player. We played well vs Washington and not horrible vs LSU. I can’t explain how we got worse from there. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

This is the first time in Gus’ career we got worse during the season excluding injuries to a key player. We played well vs Washington and not horrible vs LSU. I can’t explain how we got worse from there. 

Youth.  We are a young team.  Not extremely young but inexperienced as well on offense.  Then we made some changes on the OL after LSU and it didn't work out immediately.  now we have guys hurt/banged up and swapping guys in and out.  Still the improvement if any has been slow.  Not fast enough even for "bad talent" and we don't have bad talent.  

8 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Very spot on description of Stidham. Never thought of it from that perspective

It's a perfect description of him however I will add he doesn't read defenses well either or recognize where pressure may come from.  And hasn't stepped into a leadership role even though it's almost always an expectation of a QB.  

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Youth.  We are a young team.  Not extremely young but inexperienced as well on offense.  Then we made some changes on the OL after LSU and it didn't work out immediately.  now we have guys hurt/banged up and swapping guys in and out.  Still the improvement if any has been slow.  Not fast enough even for "bad talent" and we don't have bad talent.  

I am not convinced Brahms has been any better than Kim. The part that disturbs me is those two are all we have to choose from. That’s where I think Gus has failed. But other than saban this happens everywhere cyclical. We need more graduate transfers or juco... minimum two quality starters on line next year. 

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

It's a perfect description of him however I will add he doesn't read defenses well either or recognize where pressure may come from.  And hasn't stepped into a leadership role even though it's almost always an expectation of a QB.  

Yesterday he was sacked by #95. It made the network highlights. Miller was wide open over the middle, jumping up and down as Stidham went down. Countless times this happens. 

Just now, alexava said:

I am not convinced Brahms has been any better than Kim. The part that disturbs me is those two are all we have to choose from. That’s where I think Gus has failed. But other than saban this happens everywhere cyclical. We need more graduate transfers or juco... minimum two quality starters on line next year. 

Kim is probably better short term but Brahms is a lot better long term.  He's much stronger physically.  Kim is about as good as he will ever be.  Brahms will continue to grow and get better.  I think he's on game 3 as a starter with starter snaps in practice and games.  Give him 8-10 games and you'll see a totally different player.  Tega is getting better.  Horton I have no idea what has happened to him and Driscoll just isn't very good in my opinion.  I'd rather stick Ashley at guard and Trox at OT and let them gain experience.  May not be what is best for this team this year but will pay dividends in future years.  But when you hold a coach to a championship or fired  expectation it's difficult to get that kind of development.   

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Yesterday he was sacked by #95. It made the network highlights. Miller was wide open over the middle, jumping up and down as Stidham went down. Countless times this happens. 

You and I see this.  You and I see inexperienced poor OL play.  You and I see a QB that we have described.  You and I see our 2 best running backs being a RsFR and a True Freshman...  

Yes at the end of the day all responsibility falls on the head coach but he's not getting much help from his QB or playmakers.  

Truth is we had a rebuilding year on offense. Had to replace the o line. We did not have a top running back returning. We had some talent return at WR but we still lost Eli Stove and Will Hastings. We also lost Nate Craig. We assumed all was well because Jarrett returned, that wasn’t the case. The thing I want to see is better recruiting of the oline. We should have had that as a priority every year. We relied on the defense to win games while we grew on O. We need to throw in the middle of the field like we did Saturday. We are so scared of turnovers and restrict our offense that we are anemic.

Archived