Offensive Identity/Scheme

corchjay

2 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Truth is we had a rebuilding year on offense. Had to replace the o line. We did not have a top running back returning. We had some talent return at WR but we still lost Eli Stove and Will Hastings. We also lost Nate Craig. We assumed all was well because Jarrett returned, that wasn’t the case. The thing I want to see is better recruiting of the oline. We should have had that as a priority every year. We relied on the defense to win games while we grew on O. We need to throw in the middle of the field like we did Saturday. We are so scared of turnovers and restrict our offense that we are anemic.

I think you are spot on.  Only thing I'll say is if you have a QB that doesn't see the field well you sure as heck don't want to be throwing over the middle.  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think you are spot on.  Only thing I'll say is if you have a QB that doesn't see the field well you sure as heck don't want to be throwing over the middle.  

Ya but when defenses already know that, wouldn’t it be an advantage for them?

2 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Ya but when defenses already know that, wouldn’t it be an advantage for them?

Risk/Reward type situation in my opinion.  At this point in the season sitting at 5-3 I say let hang loose and try it out even if we turn it over maybe he'll gain confidence and better reads by either having success or learn from making mistakes.  

16 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Risk/Reward type situation in my opinion.  At this point in the season sitting at 5-3 I say let hang loose and try it out even if we turn it over maybe he'll gain confidence and better reads by either having success or learn from making mistakes.  

I like your optimism, but I think its misplaced.  JS doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.  I don't think letting loose will do anything to change that b/c the throws he seems to excel at we don't use on a regular basis.

21 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

I like your optimism, but I think its misplaced.  JS doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.  I don't think letting loose will do anything to change that b/c the throws he seems to excel at we don't use on a regular basis.

I'm always an optimist.  But will say I think the run scheme we run is much better suited for a more athletic run threat from the QB position.  Yes a pocket passer can work within this offense but still have to run the ball successfully with the running backs and accurate deep balls from the QB with good decision making.  

Just now, corchjay said:

I'm always an optimist.  But will say I think the run scheme we run is much better suited for a more athletic run threat from the QB position.  Yes a pocket passer can work within this offense but still have to run the ball successfully with the running backs and accurate deep balls from the QB with good decision making.  

I agree.  I have wondered for a LONG time why we continue to recruit PP QBs for an offense that has been demonstrably better w/ DT QBs.  I understand that not every DT QB will want to come here or that they will pan out (development issues aside), but the unwillingness to tweak the system to give the players you do have a better chance at having success is mind boggling.  Yes, a PP can have success in this offense - I remember Chris Todd - but it seems like we ask JS to do the same things we asked NM to do.  

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Excellent point with the Ohio State reference , Corch 

About the same deal going on but their QB has played better then ours.  Plus they are probably more talented in some of their playmakers

57 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I had this thought in the UCF loss. That maybe this is why we don’t use the middle. We did with Marshall didn’t with JJ Then Sean white was pretty good at it. Now we see why Jarrett doesn’t use it much. But I still think just with schemes we could set up a few more each game. 

1 minute ago, Grimnir said:

I agree.  I have wondered for a LONG time why we continue to recruit PP QBs for an offense that has been demonstrably better w/ DT QBs.  I understand that not every DT QB will want to come here or that they will pan out (development issues aside), but the unwillingness to tweak the system to give the players you do have a better chance at having success is mind boggling.  Yes, a PP can have success in this offense - I remember Chris Todd - but it seems like we ask JS to do the same things we asked NM to do.  

We are missing a piece of the puzzle we need for a pocket passer in this O.  We need quality TEs that can stand up and beat a linebacker in coverage and also be able to put their hand in the ground and block DEs with at least a stalemate on most occasions.  Plus we have to get the QB in a groove, that's one of my main complaints is we are never prepared to get the QB going early in the game.  We wait to see if we can run for first downs first.  

3 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

We don’t ask JS to do anything near what Marshall did.  The only thing Jarrett has that Marshall didn’t is accuracy     We run Jarrett 3-5 times a game and ask him to slide. Marshall was a horse. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

I had this thought in the UCF loss. That maybe this is why we don’t use the middle. We did with Marshall didn’t with JJ Then Sean white was pretty good at it. Now we see why Jarrett doesn’t use it much. But I still think just with schemes we could set up a few more each game. 

Every QB under Gus has thrown in the middle of the field with the exception of JJ and Stidham.   2 guys that obviously are poor at reading coverages.  Stidham missing wide open check downs when getting pressure.  How is that possible? 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

We don’t ask JS to do anything near what Marshall did.  The only thing Jarrett has that Marshall didn’t is accuracy     We run Jarrett 3-5 times a game and ask him to slide. Marshall was a horse. 

True. I didn't mean the amount of times they have him run the ball.  NM was indeed a horse, and one of the toughest SOBs I have seen play QB.  

2 hours ago, DAG said:

It was because ole miss  is dead last in run defense in the SEC. Your confidence will sky rocket when you can just do what you want, anytime you want. Texas A&M is #1 in rush defense, so we will see how confident they are in two weeks. I remain skeptical.

The oline will man up or they won't. We will see for sure, only some will interpret something completely different and likely absurd. 

12 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

The oline will man up or they won't. We will see for sure, only some will interpret something completely different and likely absurd. 

They can try but interpretation is easily dissuaded by facts. 

3 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Jeff Brohm is an excellent coach.  Would look good in Orange & Blue.

That didn’t take long in this thread, lol

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

That didn’t take long in this thread, lol

Just insert which ever coach has a big win the week of the post... we will hear many more over the weeks.  In reality Gus may have worn his welcome out at AU but you would be hard pressed to find 6-8 coaches better then what we have.  

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Just insert which ever coach has a big win the week of the post... we will hear many more over the weeks.  In reality Gus may have worn his welcome out at AU but you would be hard pressed to find 6-8 coaches better then what we have.  

Funniest post of the year

Just now, corchjay said:

Agree, with the first sentence at least. Brohm does look like he’s pretty good, however.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Name them? name 7 since I said 6-8...  I'll be waiting

Dabo 

UM 

Nick Saban

Coach O

David Shaw

Kirby Smart

All off the top of my head

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Dabo 

UM 

Nick Saban

Coach O

David Shaw

Kirby Smart

All off the top of my head

what has shaw O or smart done that Gus hasn't?  Nothing!  

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Name them? name 7 since I said 6-8...  I'll be waiting

Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Smart, Herman, Franklin, Riley, Brohm, Navy’s coach, Pruitt, Doern, Frost, Heuple, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Leach, Cristobal, you, bigbird( both the poster and the Sesame Street character), both of my city’s high school coaches, local middle school coach( we have four so we’ll count all of them as better), my son on PS4, my eleven year old daughter who doesn’t watch football, my dog Belle, my 94 year old grandma who watches and asks me why we only run like four plays and she knows which ones are coming...and she’s nearly blind....

Archived