11. Auburn

Other SEC:
18. Mississippi State
23. LSU

Also Receiving Votes:
29. Florida
36. Alabama
51. Missouri

Funny feeling, being ranked to enter the season in roundball. First time since I was in high school. 

33 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Hopefully we get to take down one of Duke or Gonzaga in Maui. Also play Washington on Nov 9th. Some huge games early

If want to see Wiley send Zion tumbling to the floor after a blocked dunk attempt 

Fingers crossed we beat Xavier!!!! 

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

UT with a lot of love i see. 

Got everyone back. We'll settle it on the floor in March. 

Just because I can't think of anywhere else to put this:

Jontay Porter blew out his knee Sunday and is done for the year. That sucks. He was geared for a breakout season for Mizzou. Going to be a smaller lineup for Cuonzo now. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Wow, that’s two years in a row for Mizzou to lose a big name early. Sad. 

the whole family has had serious injury problems. Kind of makes you think they're genetically predisposed to some stuff. Both of his sisters had to quit sports because knee injuries and then his brother obviously didn't play but like 3 games last year too. really sucks 

I know this is just the Auburn in me, but with high expectations comes the potential for disappointment.  I’m excited for this upcoming roundball season, more than I have ever been before (this football season has a little to do with that😔)

As I have casually looked over our roster, we are depending on some key unknowns to really produce in order for us to have a high level of success.  And one thing that gave me confidence about this team was it’s depth, then with the injuries to Wiley and Doughty, I realized how quickly we could become very thin again.  

I would say I have gone from “super excited” to “cautiously optimistic”.  This is still the most potential we’ve had in b-ball in a very long time, if not ever.  

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I know this is just the Auburn in me, but with high expectations comes the potential for disappointment.  I’m excited for this upcoming roundball season, more than I have ever been before (this football season has a little to do with that😔)

As I have casually looked over our roster, we are depending on some key unknowns to really produce in order for us to have a high level of success.  And one thing that gave me confidence about this team was it’s depth, then with the injuries to Wiley and Doughty, I realized how quickly we could become very thin again.  

I would say I have gone from “super excited” to “cautiously optimistic”.  This is still the most potential we’ve had in b-ball in a very long time, if not ever.  

Who are the “key unknowns” that you’re talking about? This may be the most experienced AU team in a long time

2 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Who are the “key unknowns” that you’re talking about? This may be the most experienced AU team in a long time

Wiley, Purifoy, Samir....mcCormick to name a few

13 minutes ago, gravejd said:

This will both be Purifoy and Doughty’s fourth year in a college basketball program. They’re veterans. Wiley has a full sec schedule as experience plus another year with the program. Calling those guys inexperienced in the world of college bball where true freshmen are major impact players is weird to me

• WarTiger changed the title to Preseason AP poll
1 hour ago, gravejd said:

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

This will both be Purifoy and Doughty’s fourth year in a college basketball program. They’re veterans. Wiley has a full sec schedule as experience plus another year with the program. Calling those guys inexperienced in the world of college bball where true freshmen are major impact players is weird to me

Purifoy has only been on the floor 1 of 3 previous years. Didn’t show a desire to play defense that year, and team chemistry was lacking. 

Wiley has 1/2 season on the floor, has not demonstrated he can stay healthy, and it will be interesting to see Pearl fold Wiley into the style of play he has typically promoted. 

Lots of talent and potential, but yes, where chemistry is paramount, lots of unknowns. 

3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I consider any player who didn’t play the year before for us an unknown quantity. 

4 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

4th year in a program means very little (basically nothing) when you haven't actually been ON THE FLOOR in a game.   Purifoy on the floor for ONE season,  Doughty not in a game for a year and now in a completely different system and Wiley HALF of one season doesn't make them veteran players, in fact, not even close.   Some experience, sure, a truly veteran player, absolutely NOT.  

Harper, Brown, McLemore and Spencer are the veterans on this team.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:35 PM, WarTiger said:

4th year in a program means very little (basically nothing) when you haven't actually been ON THE FLOOR in a game.   Purifoy on the floor for ONE season,  Doughty not in a game for a year and now in a completely different system and Wiley HALF of one season doesn't make them veteran players, in fact, not even close.   Some experience, sure, a truly veteran player, absolutely NOT.  

Harper, Brown, McLemore and Spencer are the veterans on this team.

Purifoy has played one year and practiced with the team for three years that qualifies him as experienced.  doughty has played one year of college Ball and practiced with the team for a full year. Wiley played half a year and also played in some under 21 national teams plus practicing with Auburn for a full year after having played a half a season does count as experienced in college ball now a days.  I will concede the 4 you named are more experienced but Murray is a great example played college ball then practiced with Auburn for a year then came in last year from Day one and definitely played like an experienced player.

Most of the kids nowadays have played organized ball for a minimum of 6 years before stepping on a college campus.  A new system takes time to adjust to but having practice in that system for a year or more both with and against the players on your team and experience is not an issue. 

Right now the issues are team chemistry, conditioning with three players out at start of season, and will Wiley and Doughty really be close to 100% when they come back from ankle and foot injuries.

The comment that started this back and forth was about “unknowns” not “experience”.

we have Wiley and purify who haven’t played an sec game in over a year.  Mclemore was screaming in pain in the floor mid-sec slate - will he be the same athlete?  McCormick and doughty have never played for auburn.  Heron, Murray and Mitchell gone and production/leadership needs replacing.  Plus some of the guys are injured/suspended.  Not to mention we have new coaches.

those are all unknowns ... but will be replaced by guys with varying experience.  Potential is absolutely there.  CBP has proven he can coach whomever he has.  I’m caustiously optimistic we will be great at seasons end but the OOC schedule will be tough

3 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

Crap - we are going to become a basketball school. Gus's ultimate achievement.    

Gus has nothing to do with excitement about basketball. That credit goes to man named Bruuuuuuuce!

35 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Gus has nothing to do with excitement about basketball. That credit goes to man named Bruuuuuuuce!

Yep, and I’d personally rather see the football stuff stay in the football forum and not let it infect this forum. 

C'mon guys - lighten up a little. Of coarse this is all BRUCE! I would like to see our school more along the lines of a FL or LSU where all 3 big sports are competitive - and we are fairly close to that. I was hoping after the seasons all 3 had last year that this year would be tremendous. Barring injury, Bruce has the team and coaching ability to get it done. 

Archived