How Would You Fix This Team? Pt. 1

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

As dynamic as Schwartz is on the sweeps/reverses,. I'd prefer to see him running underneath crossing routes matced up against opposing LB.  A simple 3-5 yard cross with Schwartz, depending on coverage, could easily turn into 20+ gains.  I'd also prefer to see Shivers in the OMac sweep role.  He ran it a few times against OM and showed the same type of speed as OMac with a little more patience and a whole lot more power and aggression.  

Imagine this...

Twins formation. Slayton wide left, Schwartz slot left, Shivers slot right, Seth wide right. 

Slayton: Post breaking at 5-7 yards

Schwartz: 3-5 yard cross (adjusting to LB) run in between DL and LB

Seth: 12-15 yard drag in front of the safeties and behind the backers.

Shivers: Jet motion (option to hand off or continue on to a rail behind Slayton's post.)

How would you defend?

This is more or less what Miss State ran against Auburn except Fitz ran instead of throwing.  I wouldn’t have a problem with this.  I’d hate to not have a Rb in the backfield as an option as well and I’d want to work Ryan Davis in there as well since he has been one of the most dependable guys on the field.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

This is more or less what Miss State ran against Auburn except Fitz ran instead of throwing.  I wouldn’t have a problem with this.  I’d hate to not have a Rb in the backfield as an option as well and I’d want to work Ryan Davis in there as well since he has been one of the most dependable guys on the field.

You'd have a back.  Also, RD could easily play either slot position in that scenario

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

You'd have a back.  Also, RD could easily play either slot position in that scenario

I was editing as you were replying after I realized you weren’t talking 5 wide.  I’m for whatever works.  The big question is what do you do when Eli returns next year?  

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I was editing as you were replying after I realized you weren’t talking 5 wide.  I’m for whatever works.  The big question is what do you do when Eli returns next year?  

He either gets better catching and running routes or he gets passed by the other players.  These 1 dimensional players are part of our problem with predictable play calling

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

He either gets better catching and running routes or he gets passed by the other players.  These 1 dimensional players are part of our problem with predictable play calling

I’ve always though he was under utilized as a true WR.  Maybe I’ve missed something.  

18 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm more interested in Hastings' return.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

As dynamic as Schwartz is on the sweeps/reverses,. I'd prefer to see him running underneath crossing routes matced up against opposing LB.  A simple 3-5 yard cross with Schwartz, depending on coverage, could easily turn into 20+ gains.  I'd also prefer to see Shivers in the OMac sweep role.  He ran it a few times against OM and showed the same type of speed as OMac with a little more patience and a whole lot more power and aggression.  

Imagine this...

Twins formation. Slayton wide left, Schwartz slot left, Shivers slot right, Seth wide right. 

Shivers: Jet motion (option to hand off or continue on to a rail behind Slayton's post.)

How would you defend?

Pray that Stidham makes the wrong read?

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Imagine this...

How would you defend?

You're hired!

4 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

09B1BFE7-0EAA-4A76-8D25-589CD586892D.jpeg

I thought it was the Red Elephant Dung not CLub!

I have often wondered if any of our postings and suggestions have actually filtered down to those coaching the team. I think for us to be successful and win at least 2 more games and maybe 3, Gus needs to be the aggressive no holds barred style of coach he demonstrated in the 2nd half of the OM game. PLayers feed off of this. As much as we all disdain Saban, you have to admit that he demonstrates this attitude the majority of the time. Gus needs to become the coach who is never happy with outcomes of most plays except those that result in scores and big defensive plays.

This attitude can go much further in producing upset wins against 3 of the 4 teams we will be facing. My guess is that we will not be favored in any remaining games except Liberty and maybe a 1 point favorite against TAMU. Having Boobee back and healthy enough to be a force in the remaining games is imperative for us to have a decent chance for wins in our remaining SEC games. If Boobee is out, we will have to have Miller and possibly Asa in the lineup on a consist basis. Shivers cannot be a 15 carry back due to his size. Maybe a 6-8 carry per game back is a realistic expectation for him.  An intriguing possibility could be having Joiner line up as the H back and have Cox as the RB in some situations. Throw in enough wrinkles to make defenses wonder what is coming next. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Imagine this...

How would you defend?

Man I've been waiting on this very thing! Gus has gotten in to a funk where if we can't line up, and run successfully into an 8, or 9 man front he's lost.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd settle for a GA or analysts position...

@bigbird if you are serious and have the resources to move you should definitely reach out to coach Steele.  I’m being serious the worst he could say is no thanks.  

I think a decent OL would make a worlds difference. After getting drilled & running for his life too many times, Stidham got shook up mentally, hence his play. Even some of the crappy, predictive play calling could be masked by better blocking. I’ve seen multiple multiple plays where a play is starting to develop but Stidham is already running for his life. I know he’s missed a lot of throws, but I think the a good OL is the difference with this team. Championship teams win in the trenches. 

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree, but defenses are better conditioned and the new substitution rule negated a lot of the HUNH.

Well, to me, that speaks volumes.

An incredible inability to be flexible, and adapt.  I wouldn't want him leading troops into a fight. That's outright murder.

Our defense- including multiple young guys in the rotation in the secondary- has done pretty well despite being on the field for 75% of every game...

...but our OL can't block, QB can't throw, multiple 4* WRs can't run routes, nobody can execute anything on offense...

What in the absolute hell did our offensive staff do all off-season? What are they doing from Sunday to Friday? Are we really going to give them the benefit of the doubt on play calling on Saturday? 

52 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Well, to me, that speaks volumes.

An incredible inability to be flexible, and adapt.  I wouldn't want him leading troops into a fight. That's outright murder.

Half a league, half a league,

Half a league onward, ...

JMO but if you want to see what the issues are.....and the record reflects it....our stats are almost the same as the opposition.  Virtually the same number of plays run, very similar time of possession, yardage not much different, etc.  There is nothing where AU has excelled offensively or defensively except keeping the opponents out of the end zone.   Given up plenty of yards but fewer points than might be expected.   On the other hand, the offensive stats pretty much reflect what we are seeing other than missed FGs which we have not seen so much of in recent years. Two disturbing numbers to me are the penalties and fumbles.  

https://auburntigers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2018

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I have often wondered if any of our postings and suggestions have actually filtered down to those coaching the team. I think for us to be successful and win at least 2 more games and maybe 3, Gus needs to be the aggressive no holds barred style of coach he demonstrated in the 2nd half of the OM game. PLayers feed off of this. As much as we all disdain Saban, you have to admit that he demonstrates this attitude the majority of the time. Gus needs to become the coach who is never happy with outcomes of most plays except those that result in scores and big defensive plays.

This attitude can go much further in producing upset wins against 3 of the 4 teams we will be facing. My guess is that we will not be favored in any remaining games except Liberty and maybe a 1 point favorite against TAMU. Having Boobee back and healthy enough to be a force in the remaining games is imperative for us to have a decent chance for wins in our remaining SEC games. If Boobee is out, we will have to have Miller and possibly Asa in the lineup on a consist basis. Shivers cannot be a 15 carry back due to his size. Maybe a 6-8 carry per game back is a realistic expectation for him.  An intriguing possibility could be having Joiner line up as the H back and have Cox as the RB in some situations. Throw in enough wrinkles to make defenses wonder what is coming next. 

I normally just read and keep it moving... but I'll say this (with no disrespect) in regards to Shivers, You don't actually know what Shivers brings to the table as a package yet because he has been limited due to the offense trying to gel this season. Plus he is a True Freshman that must wait his turn. Next, his size doesn't prevent him from doing anything. The TV weight is a lie, he is not 172 & if people were paying attention to him in the games or when they see him outside of the stadium you will see that he is a muscular (extremely strong) short guy... a couple of weeks ago he was 187 so I believe what you meant to say is that his height will prevent him from being a 15 carry back.... I will still say your wrong but you are entitled to your opinion. So I am just expressing mine. I guess you will be one that he has to make a believer. #WarEagle

4 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

I normally just read and keep it moving... but I'll say this (with no disrespect) in regards to Shivers, You don't actually know what Shivers brings to the table as a package yet because he has been limited due to the offense trying to gel this season. Plus he is a True Freshman that must wait his turn. Next, his size doesn't prevent him from doing anything. The TV weight is a lie, he is not 172 & if people were paying attention to him in the games or when they see him outside of the stadium you will see that he is a muscular (extremely strong) short guy... a couple of weeks ago he was 187 so I believe what you meant to say is that his height will prevent him from being a 15 carry back.... I will still say your wrong but you are entitled to your opinion. So I am just expressing mine. I guess you will be one that he has to make a believer. #WarEagle

It must be exhausting, Momma. Not that you let it show.

Shaun continues to be one of the primary reasons for optimism about the future of this program. The come up is gonna be hella fun. 

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

An intriguing possibility could be having Joiner line up as the H back and have Cox as the RB in some situations. Throw in enough wrinkles to make defenses wonder what is coming next. 

Please no on the Cox “wrinkles”. Let him lead block and maybe give him the ball a few times in short yardage situations as the lead back. I was begging for us to hand him the ball at the goal line on the first Tennessee drive and somehow Gus didn’t gus it up.

If we can't build back an SEC level line, it's going to be hard for any back of any size to make a significant impact. 

I don't see how any improvement to this team doesn't start with fundamentals. We have to build talent on the line first and foremost and then build out to the skill positions. It would help if we had a consistent offensive identity to build towards. But we haven't built lines, we have poor fundamentals on the offensive side of the ball and we have a big mish-mash of skill players littering the bench. That's on the guy building the program and until either that guy is replaced or has a sudden wake-up moment, I don't see it changing. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It must be exhausting, Momma. Not that you let it show.

Shaun continues to be one of the primary reasons for optimism about the future of this program. The come up is gonna be hella fun. 

LOL... It is I must say.... But this blog has made my skin tougher than nails sticking through me lolololol, I can tell you that. Its not easy watching your children get bashed by fans and the media. It becomes very tiresome an annoying but I just take it all in lol. Some of these fans are very cruel so I make it my business to travel 700 + miles every weekend to see my son play just to be his support system. I have not missed a game yet and I wont unless God takes that air out of me. 

Archived