How Would You Fix This Team? Pt. 1

aubiefifty

8 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

LOL... It is I must say.... But this blog has made my skin tougher than nails sticking through me lolololol, I can tell you that. Its not easy watching your children get bashed by fans and the media. It becomes very tiresome an annoying but I just take it all in lol. Some of these fans are very cruel so I make it my business to travel 700 + miles every weekend to see my son play just to be his support system. I have not missed a game yet and I wont unless God takes that air out of me. 

I would love to see your son get about 5 carries a game right now, including inside runs.  He showed some good instincts but was much like K Johnson was early on and needs to get a little more patience, which only can happen with reps

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

LOL... It is I must say.... But this blog has made my skin tougher than nails sticking through me lolololol, I can tell you that. Its not easy watching your children get bashed by fans and the media. It becomes very tiresome an annoying but I just take it all in lol. Some of these fans are very cruel so I make it my business to travel 700 + miles every weekend to see my son play just to be his support system. I have not missed a game yet and I wont unless God takes that air out of me. 

Bad news: You've got a lot of 700+ mile trips ahead of you because that ain't happening.

As long as you can stand hanging around here, a few of us are going to keep showing the Shivers family love so that you know that a few ignorant folks don't speak for the entire Auburn family. And as time goes on, the few will become the many. Happens every year. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

I would love to see your son get about 5 carries a game right now, including inside runs.  He showed some good instincts but was much like K Johnson was early on and needs to get a little more patience, which only can happen with reps

A little more patience? Can you elaborate? I didn't watch KJ enough prior to our time coming to Auburn. 

Just now, Momma Worm said:

A little more patience? Can you elaborate? I didn't watch KJ enough prior to our time coming to Auburn. 

not sure on some plays if it was the line's fault or to wait a little bit to let the hole develop.  Instead of running into the backside of the o-linemen and pushing through, slow down a little bit find the hole and burst.  It took KJ a couple years to figure this out.  Some would say that Leveon Bell style of running.   With his size strength ratio he has that ability to have power and speed IMO.  There is no reason why he can not handle 20 plus carries.  He  has built his body properly and has the skills.

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It must be exhausting, Momma. Not that you let it show.

Shaun continues to be one of the primary reasons for optimism about the future of this program. The come up is gonna be hella fun. 

Auburn is the best at doing the 'come up' in football over the years.

We have seen this over the last 40 years, but i was hoping this decade we were going to be one of the 'stay up' teams. :)

Maybe I’m missing something but I haven’t seen anyone have anything negative to say about Worm.  His size comes up but from just simple physics.  I think this board and entire fan base has embraced him and as a true freshman seems to be getting plenty of opportunities so far.  He’s probably number 2 in the rotation right now and who would have guessed that going into the season.  

Now bashing the team as a whole yes.  Mostly it’s been coaching, OL, QB the others have pretty much gotten a pass.  I don’t think anyone that I saw on the board has even mentioned him getting lit up this weekend and fumbling.   Which is a huge deal with a struggling offense.  However it was recovered by a lineman I think.  We need backs that carry the ball 200 times without fumbling.  Like I said I think the freshman get a pass on the little things because of inexperience and learning life in the SEC isn’t high school football.  

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Maybe I’m missing something but I haven’t seen anyone have anything negative to say about Worm.  His size comes up but from just simple physics.  I think this board and entire fan base has embraced him and as a true freshman seems to be getting plenty of opportunities so far.  He’s probably number 2 in the rotation right now and who would have guessed that going into the season.  

Now bashing the team as a whole yes.  Mostly it’s been coaching, OL, QB the others have pretty much gotten a pass.  I don’t think anyone that I saw on the board has even mentioned him getting lit up this weekend and fumbling.   Which is a huge deal with a struggling offense.  However it was recovered by a lineman I think.  We need backs that carry the ball 200 times without fumbling.  Like I said I think the freshman get a pass on the little things because of inexperience and learning life in the SEC isn’t high school football.  

Really??  I guess someone has to be the first one. 

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Really??  I guess someone has to be the first one. 

Wasn’t attacking him just showing of an example of looking the other way.  I really haven’t seen anyone attack him or momma.  But what I’m trying to say is that this is big boy football and over the course of 4 years to the player is worth about 400k when you put all benefits that go into SEC football players plus the passion of the fan bases thing are gonna get said.  I had an athletic scholarship and academic but still didn’t pay all my fees in college.  I was 34 before paying off loans.  And for the most part we are a pretty gentle group generally when it comes to players.  Like I mentioned in the previous post freshmen get a pass for the most part but as they grow they will be held more accountable.  Can you imagine what JJ6 or Jake Holland went through?  It was cruel

20 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Maybe I’m missing something but I haven’t seen anyone have anything negative to say about Worm.

Yes, you are missing a lot. Just trust that his mother sees and hears a lot more than you do and leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Wasn’t attacking him just showing of an example of looking the other way.  I really haven’t seen anyone attack him or momma.  But what I’m trying to say is that this is big boy football and over the course of 4 years to the player is worth about 400k when you put all benefits that go into SEC football players plus the passion of the fan bases thing are gonna get said.  I had an athletic scholarship and academic but still didn’t pay all my fees in college.  I was 34 before paying off loans.  And for the most part we are a pretty gentle group generally when it comes to players.  Like I mentioned in the previous post freshmen get a pass for the most part but as they grow they will be held more accountable.  Can you imagine what JJ6 or Jake Holland went through?  It was cruel

I agree with all of this, however, your statement above mentioned you haven’t seen anybody say anything negative about Worm.  I would think saying he fumbled would be negative.  JMO, I could be wrong.  I know you’re hearts in the right place, but it was humorous to me.  Just messing with you.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, you are missing a lot. Just trust that his mother sees and hears a lot more than you do and leave it at that.

Well I’m on this board daily and that’s what I’m vouching for.  I have no idea what she hears.  I love worm and momma but fail to see where this board has been cruel toward worm.  

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

I agree with all of this, however, your statement above mentioned you haven’t seen anybody say anything negative about Worm.  I would think saying he fumbled would be negative.  JMO, I could be wrong.  I know you’re hearts in the right place, but it was humorous to me.  Just messing with you.

I know what you mean but fumbling is fumbling.  Regardless if it’s Stidham or whoever.  That’s kind of my point

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Loof I’m playing devils advocate a little here but can you show me some of this that I’m missing?  I acknowledged the size thing and maybe he proves all those folks wrong but I wouldn’t say that’s being cruel or negative like I said it’s just physics.  

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

So maybe you should dispense with the lecture.

She said the board.  This is an AU football message board football and things will be discussed.  

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

She said the board.  This is an AU football message board football and things will be discussed.  

"It's not easy watching your child get bashed by the fans and the media."

You seriously think this is the only place she gets feedback about her kid? 

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I know what you mean but fumbling is fumbling.  Regardless if it’s Stidham or whoever.  That’s kind of my point

Here’s my point, Corch; You’re not just criticizing a player on the team, like you do with Stidham, you’re specifically talking to a family member of one of our players.  Her perspective should be considered before you type something that could be considered negative. Sometime you should consider that before you start giving advice.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"It's not easy watching your child get bashed by the fans and the media."

You seriously think this is the only place she gets feedback about her kid? 

No clue but this board has been kind and gentle.  That’s all I will say.  The intensity will ramp up as he gets older and expectation rise.   You think Hortons family, or Tega’s American family may cruise this board?  Maybe they do, Tega’s American family are huge huge Auburn fans and wouldn’t surprise me at all that they are on this board at times.  The OL has been attacked in numerous ways with questioning of their heart, talent, and questioning their character of if they like Stidham or not or just letting guys go in to hit him.  

Like I said this board has been very kind to Worm and momma.  That’s the last I’ll say about the topic.  

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

not sure on some plays if it was the line's fault or to wait a little bit to let the hole develop.  Instead of running into the backside of the o-linemen and pushing through, slow down a little bit find the hole and burst.  It took KJ a couple years to figure this out.  Some would say that Leveon Bell style of running.   

Full disclaimer: I didn’t see one play of either of the Mississippi schools’ games so I’ve missed quite a few runs this year.

That being said, if any of our backs ran with the “Leveon Bell style” they’d get absolutely destroyed in the backfield on a consistent basis. Our linemen are usually getting blown off the line and into the backfield. If they are able to open a hole, it’s only there for a brief moment. I honestly think the Kenny Irons/Tre Mason style of hitting the crease like you’re shot out of a cannon has a better shot of being successful with our oline. 

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here’s my point, Corch; You’re not just criticizing a player on the team, like you do with Stidham, you’re specifically talking to a family member of one of our players.  Her perspective should be considered before you type something that could be considered negative. Sometime you should consider that before you start giving advice.

If anyone on this board knows how to deal with players and parents it’s the coaches.  We do this daily.  And I’m not giving advice to anyone just giving my opinion on how the board has treated a player.  Like I said their are 85 scholarship players, about 120 with walk-ons and such.  If we are gonna discuss football it should be open discussion if we aren’t going to then shut the board down.  I’m not down with trashing players but I am for critique of their play.  No one regardless if family or friend is on here should change that.  That’s my opinion and you or anyone else can agree or not agree doesn’t matter to me

2 minutes ago, chimes said:

Full disclaimer: I didn’t see one play of either of the Mississippi schools’ games so I’ve missed quite a few runs this year.

That being said, if any of our backs ran with the “Leveon Bell style” they’d get absolutely destroyed in the backfield on a consistent basis. Our linemen are usually getting blown off the line and into the backfield. If they are able to open a hole, it’s only there for a brief moment. I honestly think the Kenny Irons/Tre Mason style of hitting the crease like you’re shot out of a cannon has a better shot of being successful with our oline. 

Agreed.  And worm is definitely not like bell and I don’t think it would fit his style.  

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No clue but this board has been kind and gentle.  That’s all I will say.  The intensity will ramp up as he gets older and expectation rise.   You think Hortons family, or Tega’s American family may cruise this board?  Maybe they do, Tega’s American family are huge huge Auburn fans and wouldn’t surprise me at all that they are on this board at times.  The OL has been attacked in numerous ways with questioning of their heart, talent, and questioning their character of if they like Stidham or not or just letting guys go in to hit him.  

Like I said this board has been very kind to Worm and momma.  That’s the last I’ll say about the topic.  

I personally know the woman Tega calls “mama” and she absolutely takes the criticism he and the rest of the line receives to heart. She does not read this board but I do hope that she understands that the criticism and praise come with the territory. This is, in fact, big boy sports.

Just want to add to corchjay’s thought that we should be able to openly discuss both the positive and negative performances of both players and coaches without fear of repercussions or hurt feelings. I think it’s possible to do that without personal attacks on the players( even though I disagree with others that they’re “kids”). Some of the things posted about Holland and KF years back was pretty brutal. I haven’t seen anything remotely close to that posted about any current players.

I’m glad that parents of players post here because we get a little more insight into the team but I honestly sometimes wonder if they aren’t signing up for the “abuse”. It cannot be easy to read people being critical of your child. This is the exact reason my wife and parents sit away from the rest of the crowd when attending  my games.

6 minutes ago, chimes said:

Just want to add to corchjay’s thought that we should be able to openly discuss both the positive and negative performances of both players and coaches without fear of repercussions or hurt feelings. I think it’s possible to do that without personal attacks on the players( even though I disagree with others that they’re “kids”). Some of the things posted about Holland and KF years back was pretty brutal. I haven’t seen anything remotely close to that posted about any current players.

I’m glad that parents of players post here because we get a little more insight into the team but I honestly sometimes wonder if they aren’t signing up for the “abuse”. It cannot be easy to read people being critical of your child. This is the exact reason my wife and parents sit away from the rest of the crowd when attending  my games.

I understand your thoughts.  KF’s dad was on the board for a time IIRC, until the posters without any social filters were just brutal to his son.  I don’t recall anybody addressing him directly though. So, if you enjoy parents who post here, maybe a little understanding would be in order if you expect them to stick around.  When not addressing the parent directly, things will be honest and straight forward.  JMO.

Coaches are sometimes stubborn and blinded by their own biases.  I guess that is why they never run for public office.

Archived