Malik Miller

aubiefifty

Malik Miller embracing newfound opportunity in Auburn’s backfield

Updated 12:08 AM; Posted 7:00 AM

Auburn running back Malik Miller scores a touchdown in the second half against Ole Miss. Miller has emerged as the Tigers' third-down running back in recent weeks. (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)

0 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Malik Miller’s Auburn career has been marred by injuries — some minor and others more serious — that have largely limited the redshirt sophomore’s opportunities at running back.

In recent weeks, however, Miller’s outlook has changed, and he has not only seen the field more frequently, he has started to carve out an important role within Auburn’s offense while emerging as the team’s third-down back.

“It means a lot,” Miller said. “You work hard, and it’s good. You go through life and you put a lot of work into something you want, you see the fruits of your labor. That’s always something that’s a great feeling.”

Miller’s role on offense has grown in the last two weeks ahead of the Tigers’ bye week. He led all running backs in snaps against Tennessee two weeks ago, and then last weekend during Auburn’s 31-16 win against Ole Miss, Miller found the end zone twice on goal-line carries in the Tigers’ dominating third quarter.

It’s night and day from his role entering the year, when he was buried on the depth chart after dealing with a minor hamstring injury in July that he reaggravated during the second week of fall camp. That injury limited his opportunities to prove himself in the preseason as Auburn tried to establish a pecking order in the backfield, and he entered the year ostensibly fourth or fifth on the Tigers’ depth chart at running back behind Boobee Whitlow, Kam Martin, Shaun Shivers and Asa Martin.

The hamstring injury was just the latest setback for Miller, who appeared in three games as a freshman in 2016 before a knee injury that required surgery prematurely ended his season. Last season he appeared in 11 games and had 34 carries for 135 yards and a touchdown, but it was mostly in mop-up duty while playing behind Kerryon Johnson, Kamryn Pettway and Kam Martin.

“Definitely frustrating,” Miller said of the injuries. “But just keeping a strong faith in God and just doing whatever this team needs, whether it’s being there for the other guys in the running back room or being there for the whole team, being there for the defense — just doing whatever I can do to give a spark to the team.”

Statistically speaking: Auburn's run game, red-zone offense improve entering bye week

Auburn's run game and red-zone offense saw drastic improvements against Ole Miss as the Tigers head into the bye week.

That persistence and patience has paid off for the 5-foot-11, 216-pounder, who has finally seen his opportunities come in recent weeks and is embracing his newfound role as the Tigers’ third-down back. Over the last two games, he has 12 carries for 43 yards and a pair of touchdowns while adding seven receptions for 61 yards and helping in pass protection.

“Whatever puts me on the field, I embrace it,” Miller said. “I know that. I’m a football player. I love playing football. So, whatever puts me on the field so I can help the team, I’ going to embrace that and I’m going to do the best I can at it.”

Miller now finds himself as one of Auburn’s top-three backfield options entering the bye week. He’s behind starting running back and leading rusher Whitlow, as well as Shivers, who has apparently taken over the No. 2 role in the backfield. With Whitlow dealing with an undisclosed injury that ended his career effort afternoon at Ole Miss early, Miller could potentially see his role expand again — much like it did when Whitlow exited with injury in the first half against Tennessee — should Whitlow miss any time after the bye week.

If that happens, Miller will be ready to step up when the opportunity presents itself, just like he has in recent weeks.

“That’s a testament to life,” Miller said. “You just can’t live selfishly. You always got to play for something bigger than yourself.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

I really hope we see him live up to his potential. He is a helluva running back.

Way more potential than folks around here realize he has. 

I love him in this short yardage back situation. He has embraced it and is thriving in it.

If only he had breakaway speed, he could be our every down back. Unfortunately, my 89 year old aunt walking with her cane, caught him from behind and passed him while he was running the ball and told him he was doing a great job on the way by.👣

He is a bowling ball.  Gus needs to know not to use him for plays that require speed though.  He may be just what this offense needs if Boobee is banged up.

11 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

He is only a sophomore? Feels like he has been here forever 

I said something this summer about this being his last year of eligibility. I received some really great news shortly thereafter. 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've always thought this about Malik. It was hard to judge any of our RBs due to the fact they didn't get many opportunities. I thought he could've helped us when KJ went down but we didn't give him the opportunity and prepare him to step in when needed. 

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems like a good time for me to acknowledge what a great game Whitlow had on Saturday 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This story feels a lot like Peyton Barber's. 

Seems like the same story as Pettway also.  I hope it turns out more like Barber’s ending.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I've always thought this about Malik. It was hard to judge any of our RBs due to the fact they didn't get many opportunities. I thought he could've helped us when KJ went down but we didn't give him the opportunity and prepare him to step in when needed. 

I don't think he was fully healthy last year. I know he was medically cleared but he looked far better with his touches early in 2016 IMO than he did at any point last year. He just looked off to me. Could be wrong. Still, who knows what he could have done with more reps to get re-acclimated. Hopefully that's what we're seeing now.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This story feels a lot like Peyton Barber's. 

Peyton BArber is better than MM IMO.  Peyton has a faster 1st step, and cutting ability. Not much but better.

What I saw from MM, the last 2 weeks, was simply a soft UT D that had a nice lead late in the game. So MM stats looked better. He'll never get off the LOS against better DLs.

I do think he is a short yardage back and possibly a big back to get out in open on short passes, but not going sideways. He will never get up field.

From reading his quotes I do like his attitude. Seems like good kid, and wants to just help so much. Can't argue with that.

He is not the answer to our TB. Run him straight ahead and we can get 2-4 yards. 

It's Whitlow, then probably Worm, and should have been Asa Miller.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Peyton BArber is better than MM IMO.  Peyton has a faster 1st step, and cutting ability. Not much but better.

What I saw from MM, the last 2 weeks, was simply a soft UT D that had a nice lead late in the game. So MM stats looked better. He'll never get off the LOS against better DLs.

I do think he is a short yardage back and possibly a big back to get out in open on short passes, but not going sideways. He will never get up field.

He is not the answer to our TB. It's Whitlow, then probably Worm, and should have been Asa Miller.

We see different things. That's cool. 

15 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Malik can be used in a Carl Stewart type role. He is slower than molasses. 

The thing is, he wasn't that slow when he first got here. He has really good feet. If he can work on getting a little of that speed back, he can be a solid addition. And he catches the ball well. 

He wasn't slow when he got here so maybe it's some mental issue he's having to work through considering he hasn't had many opportunities to really test himself. Hamstring injuries can be very finicky too - just ask Leonard Fournette.

Just now, CCTAU said:

The thing is, he wasn't that slow when he first got here. He has really good feet. If he can work on getting a little of that speed back, he can be a solid addition. And he catches the ball well. 

Haha! Well said. ;)

40 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Malik can be used in a Carl Stewart type role. He is slower than molasses. 

I'd take for an Eric Smith type anytime... especially with ES's attitude. 

22 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Maybe his stride is misleading. Great hands, toughness, big kid. Needs speed and power . He is a Carl Stewart type guy imo. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I'd take for an Eric Smith type anytime... especially with ES's attitude. 

I was hoping Cox would be that guy. Hard to tell how close or far off he is in this offense, though. 

Archived