Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

If we win, I think he definitely survives to next season. We'll win at least 7, and likely the Independence Bowl or the Suck Bowl or whatever game we play in against a much lesser opponent. 

But if we lose, Auburn is staring 6-6 in the face. And it'll be with 3 straight conference losses to close things out. What do you guys think? Anybody in the know have a pulse on how much is riding on this game? 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

But if we lose, Auburn is staring 6-6 in the face. And it'll be with 3 straight conference losses to close things out. What do you guys think? A

A win against AtM will secure Gus. I think.

6-6- There will be many more influential people fed up and calling for his head. Whoever makes the call better be pretty well insulated from the mob if Gus remains. 

I think most folks have no idea.  I have no idea.  For all the noise and fury on this board, Gus may be perfectly safe even if he loses all conference games from here on out and does his usual face-plant in the Participation aTrophy Bowl™.  I think the fans here have done a pretty thorough job of mining possible excuses for keeping him on.   

This is just an opinion, but I think it is much more complicated than wins and losses at this point. Speculation on our part is one thing. The actions of firing him are another. First, Leath would have to sign off, less than a year removed from signing him to a 7 year contract. Not a great look for him. Then Dr. Greene has to sign off,  and how eager will he be to have that as his first major act as our AD? Then of course there’s the money. It’s not just the buyout sum, but the staff buyouts, as well as the money for a new staff. Either way, it is a mess. At his point,  I’m just hoping we close strong for the players sake.

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If we win, I think he definitely survives to next season. We'll win at least 7, and likely the Independence Bowl or the Suck Bowl or whatever game we play in against a much lesser opponent. 

But if we lose, Auburn is staring 6-6 in the face. And it'll be with 3 straight conference losses to close things out. What do you guys think? Anybody in the know have a pulse on how much is riding on this game? 

My opinion, and I know people will disagree, is that it is irrelevant at this point. Gus is protected by his buyout. He may have been coaching for his job last week, but he has now secured us almost guaranteed bowl eligibility. Given his buyout, I don’t think anything short of losing the team is a true threat to his job this year. However, a similar season next year would almost definitely get him fired.

8 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

However, a similar season next year would almost definitely get him fired.

Why? The buyout will still be huge and next year is going to be a rough season. We'll still be thin on the OL, likely be breaking in a brand new QB and will lose several playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. If Gus is kept around, there will also likely be the usual firing of the scapegoat and we'll break in another coordinator. We'll be on the road for Oregon, A&M, Florida and LSU...pretty brutal. I don't see where the crop of available coaches will be any different if we make a move in a year, either. 

If Gus' buyout is protecting him, we're in for a long, ugly haul before he's gone...and Leath needs to precede him out the door. 

In 2015, we were 6-6 going into the Birmingham bowl. We had to beat a Memphis team in order for us to have a winning season. We beat a 10-2 Memphis 31-10 in the rain. Auburn ended 2015 at 7-6 overall but just 2-6 in the SEC. I we lose the last conference games, our record will be the same as it was in 3 years ago. 7-6 overall and 2-6 in the SEC. How much longer will the Auburn family tolerate a head coach who has had two 8-5 records and is on the verge of having his 2nd 7-6 record in his 6th year as Auburn's head coach.

If Gus wins I think he is certainly safe. Imagine how insane we would look firing a 7 win coach and paying 32 million dollars to do so. That would be the storyline on Auburn for years to come - the school that paid a $32 million buyout for a winning season.

42 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

This is just an opinion, but I think it is much more complicated than wins and losses at this point. Speculation on our part is one thing. The actions of firing him are another. First, Leath would have to sign off, less than a year removed from signing him to a 7 year contract. Not a great look for him. Then Dr. Greene has to sign off,  and how eager will he be to have that as his first major act as our AD? Then of course there’s the money. It’s not just the buyout sum, but the staff buyouts, as well as the money for a new staff. Either way, it is a mess. At his point,  I’m just hoping we close strong for the players sake.

Good points all.....and I do believe that Greene also approved the Gus contract even before he was hired.   Can't image that Leath or the BOT would not have discussed that possibility with him or other serous candidates during the evaluation process. Would not have been good to saddle Greene with a HC who he had questions over. 

But it's a mess....and I don't think he's coaching for his job as long as the team is out there giving 100% on the field.   if they give the appearance of packing it in early, that's a different story IMO.. 

Imagine how insane it would be to have head coach who's records has been 12-2, 8-5, 7-6, 8-5, 10-4, 5-3 and could be a lot worse. And yet, we're paying this joker 7 million a year. Oh yeah, as it stands now. his record is 50-25 overall & 28-19 in the conference. He also 1-4 on Bowl games.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

In 2015, we were 6-6 going into the Birmingham bowl. We had to beat a Memphis team in order for us to have a winning season. We beat a 10-2 Memphis 31-10 in the rain. Auburn ended 2015 at 7-6 overall but just 2-6 in the SEC. I we lose the last conference games, our record will be the same as it was in 3 years ago. 7-6 overall and 2-6 in the SEC. How much longer will the Auburn family tolerate a head coach who has had two 8-5 records and is on the verge of having his 2nd 7-6 record in his 6th year as Auburn's head coach.

Well, I'll be damned.......

Nope and I expect Auburn to beat Texas A&M.  If I’m Gus this is the most important game of the season.  This is the coach that kept me from the National Championship.  I expect Gus to coach his best game of the season.  If he gets a chance to pour it on he probably will.

I think A lot of hinges on the margin of loses the SEC games we have left.  If we beat TAMU & liberty, Gus will be back next year. If we are close and competitive against the rest of the SEC schedule, Gus will be back.  If we lose lets say 38-14 to TAMU,  41-17 UGA, and 49-21 bammer, all bets are off.  If we lose to Liberty, to add to the mix of big  loses, I think a change would be definitely in the air. I think we have a reasonable chance to beat TAMU in that it has already been stated about Gus losing the NC to Fisher and the motivation factor for a taste of revenge of sorts.

The last thing in the universe that I want is for this team to lose big to anyone & lose to anyone. I want us to win in the worst way for the players in that they are the ones who suffer the most when we lose a game. IF we can pull a win out of TAMU, this will be what the doctor ordered for this team. 7-5 and a win in a bowl game would be great for this team. Can we beat UGA in Athens? It will be a tall task, but one that can be accomplished if the defense tightens down and the offense plays their best of the season.

Bammer is in a different universe than the rest of the SEC and will likely blow through Baton Rouge with a 3-5 TD margin of victory against LSU. There are a lot of things in play and only time and outcome of the remaining games will tell the story.

If he gets fired, leath made a ridiculous contract extension. Because of the money, they won't. But it will only delay the inevitable. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Good points all.....and I do believe that Greene also approved the Gus contract even before he was hired.   Can't image that Leath or the BOT would not have discussed that possibility with him or other serous candidates during the evaluation process. Would not have been good to saddle Greene with a HC who he had questions over. 

You'll recall that extension was done under "duress" the week between the Alabama win and the Georgia loss.  That was at least six weeks before Greene was identified by Auburn as the AD choice.  I can't imagine there's much chance he was involved, consulted or even told about the Malzahn contract extension.

For the record, I don't think there's any chance Gus will be gone after this season no matter how we finish.

36 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Nope and I expect Auburn to beat Texas A&M.  If I’m Gus this is the most important game of the season.  This is the coach that kept me from the National Championship.  I expect Gus to coach his best game of the season.  If he gets a chance to pour it on he probably will.

Lmao...a chance to pour it on? With what? Special teams???

Truth is nobody knows. My guess is no, he is safe this year regardless, with the one caveat being if he loses to Liberty.  He will make Chip the scapegoat and hire another lackey and we will be having this exact same discussion this time next year as we watch another train wreck in progress.

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We will not play a lesser opponent. When we have these bad seasons they make us play Oklahoma or some team way above our current ability. 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We will not play a lesser opponent. When we have these bad seasons they make us play Oklahoma or some team way above our current ability. 

Memphis says hi

31 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Truth is nobody knows. My guess is no, he is safe this year regardless, with the one caveat being if he loses to Liberty.  He will make Chip the scapegoat and hire another lackey and we will be having this exact same discussion this time next year as we watch another train wreck in progress.

It is going to be so terrible next year. I dont see that oline improving much at all and we will lose a good dline along with our LBs. 6-6 is best case scenario. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

ill-have-what-shes-having.gif

Archived