2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (Georgia Tech)

ellitor

Big conference offers from NC State, Va. Tech, Ole Miss, GT, Purdue, S. Car, & WVU among others.
AU may have now shifted to taking 2 RBs in the class
AU has tracked him a long time but have not offered yet
Having a monster SR season
He is an emerging RB target per Keith

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emerging RB target having monster season

By Keith Niebuhr

In a VIP update Wednesday morning, we wrote about Jamious Griffin, a 3-star running back from Rome (Ga.) who is having a big senior season and could be moving up the Auburn recruiting board. Right now, he's an N.C. State commit. You can find that update HERE. Grifin's stats this season are off the charts. He has carried the ball 169 times for 1,850 yards and 26 touchdowns. He's averaging 10.9 yards a rush and 205 yards per game. He's not a one-hit wonder either. Last season, Griffin rushed for 1,276 yards on 7.2 yards per carry for a state championship team. The year before that, he produced 1,443 rushing yards. And, as a freshman Griffin ran for 866 yards. Add it up and that's 5,435 rushing yards and 92 rushing touchdowns in high school for one of the top programs in the state of Georgia. This season, Griffin has topped 100 yards in all nine games played and has gone over 200 yards three times. His best outing in terms of yards? That would be his 339-yard showing against East Paulding (Ga.) on Oct. 5. He did that on only 24 carries for an average of 14.1 yards per rush. Right now, Griffin is the No. 36 running back nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

Wow.

Only question after watching his highlights is what kind of competition does he play against?

Dude is a baller. Love his jump cuts and vision. Moves laterally while keeping his shoulders squared upfield. Keeps his knees high. Looks like they throw to him on occasion. LIKE.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wow.

Only question after watching his highlights is what kind of competition does he play against?

Dude is a baller. Love his jump cuts and vision. Moves laterally while keeping his shoulders squared upfield. Keeps his knees high. Looks like they throw to him on occasion. LIKE.

Also appears to have great balance which is always a plus for a RB.

As for competition they are AAAAA in Georgia which is comparable to 6A in Alabama if not better. Rome appears to be loaded they are #20 in the nation in the Max Preps Top 25 composite poll. They have destroyed most of their opponents this season.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also appears to have great balance which is always a plus for a RB.

As for competition they are AAAAA in Georgia which is comparable to 6A in Alabama if not better. Rome appears to be loaded they are #20 in the nation in the Max Preps Top 25 composite poll. They have destroyed most of their opponents this season.

Looks like he runs a little flat footed.

Any idea on his speed and time? Hard to tell depending on the HS teams he is playing and the speed of their DB and LBs..

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Any idea on his speed and time? Hard to tell depending on the HS teams he is playing and the speed of their DB and LBs..

No but speed isn't everything for a RB either. There have been many great RBs over the years who didn't have eye-popping speed.

My take just from watching the highlight attached... I will try to check out some game footage on him at a later time where I get an idea outside of his big plays.

Just off of this I would rate him low 4 star probably between a 90-91.  Very solid running back and perfect style for Gus’ ground game.  Very nice feet and 1 cut ability already.  Doesn’t have huge top end speed but is quick.  Probably one of those type backs that you have that rips off 35-40 yarders and your speed backs only get 15 and you’re like why.  No receptions so don’t know how he catches or blocks could be a learning curve there.  Not sure if the staff is taking 1 or 2 backs this year but I would definitely reach out to him and keep the option open of a possible flip if we miss on others.  

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No receptions so don’t know how he catches

There were some passes to him in the highlight package FWIW.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There were some passes to him in the highlight package FWIW.

Yes I see now after rewatching sorry missed the 2 catches watching his footwork mainly.  I also missed how well he sets up his blockers and defenders one on one.  Some of the one on one will work some won’t in the SEC but he will learn at least he isn’t just plowing into defenders minimizing hits with the ability to slip through some tackles.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

No but speed isn't everything for a RB either. There have been many great RBs over the years who didn't have eye-popping speed.

4.55 and faster is a good number for college backs wanting to go to next level. Plus I just like the more explosive RBs. 

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Plus I just like the more explosive RBs. 

No doubt. I don't think you have to have top end speed to necessarily be explosive though. To me explosiveness is more a function of how quick you can get to your top end speed a la acceleration as long as the top end isn't bad slow. I just looked up Emmitt Smith's Cowboys scouting report & his numbers were nowhere near eye popping. He ran a 4.7/40 at his combine & the cowboys rated his acceleration as average. I do know from an old interview I saw he had 20-10 vision which is perfect. I think attributes like that plus his great balance helped him to make up for some less than top tier athletic attributes allowing him to be one of the greatest RBs of all time. Just saying not having great top end speed can be overcome if other important attributes are in place as well as top end speed isn't everything by itself if the player doesn't also have things like quality vision, balance, & agility.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He ran a 4.7/40 at his combine & the cowboys rated his acceleration as average.

Wow. How did I not know that. I’m too young to have watched his games but he’s generally regarded as at least top 3 NFL back of all time.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just saying not having great top end speed can be overcome if other important attributes are in place as well as top end speed isn't everything by itself if the player doesn't also have things like quality vision, balance, & agility.

I agree.  A lot of it stems from the RB recruiting frustrations. We get good backs but I want the next elite back. Gus doesn’t do much right but he will feed the star RBs tbe ball which in my mind should justify more consideration than what we are getting.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

What is the desire level of the back to come to Auburn?

Don't know. That hasn't been reported on by AU reporters.

This kid can start, stop, and accelerate very well..  He has the ability to control his body while moving in any direction.  Lots of good movement with his feet.  You can see these moves with all of the kids but they are not as quick with the feet as he is.  He is the kind of kid you hate playing if you are a LB.  He will make you miss when you do everything correct.

I like what I see from him. Speed can be increased with the right training and development at the college level. Is he faster or slower than Boobee if anyone can do a comparison between the 2?

WOW.   I went back and looked at this again.   How many times does he start/stop or make an ankle breaking cut?  I know he is in HS, but those moves genuinely remind me of Barry Sanders.  Obviously I am not saying he is the next BS, but the kid has multiple moves.  

I can imagine what he will be in 18 months - A BEAST!

"AU has tracked him a long time but have not offered yet ".  This is what drives me insane...   As a senior, what does he have to do to impress you that is not on that film?

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am not saying he is the next BS

Yeah. A lot of that goes around.

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

AU has tracked him a long time but have not offered yet ".  This is what drives me insane...   As a senior, what does he have to do to impress you that is not on that film?

Be Cain, McIntosh, or Richards apparently.

How attractive are we for RB recruits with 2 freshman getting the bulk of the carries with a junior sometimes getting them and who knows when Malik Miller shows up. Seems like there is a tough road to touches here with so many non-seniors in our backfield

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

How attractive are we for RB recruits with 2 freshman getting the bulk of the carries with a junior sometimes getting them and who knows when Malik Miller shows up. Seems like there is a tough road to touches here with so many non-seniors in our backfield

To play devil's advocate, it also shows that you're gonna get carries if you're good

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

How attractive are we for RB recruits

To some, very. They see our need for RBs. Because a couple of freshmen are getting a lot of carries this year doesn't mean they will in the future if there is a talent upgrade.

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

Seems like there is a tough road to touches here with so many non-seniors in our backfield

Not when you are upgrading the talent.

On 10/31/2018 at 1:09 AM, ellitor said:

Yeah. A lot of that goes around.

Be Cain, McIntosh, or Richards apparently.

Well, I am sure you are right on this, but if we could flip this guy and somehow we decide to recruit him, I think we could do a lot worse.    All of this is assuming we miss on the 2-3 backs, the staff covets.  

Honestly, this back could turn into a special kind of back.  Can't teach some of the instincts he already has.  

He is my #2 hopeful.     Oh yeah, I forgot, nobody on the staff asked me.  (Big smile).

• 1 month later...

Archived