2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (Georgia Tech)

ellitor

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I agree.  I hope it does not happen but this board will be in meltdown mode if MAR goes to UGA with Kenny McIntosh and GA Tech pulls Griffin because we slow played him.

It sucks that we dont get stacked with RBs like some of these other schools have....i think it directly ties to Gus' use of Rbs and running our Primary into the ground....maybe this past season will help since we used more of a committee approach

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess what bothers me is that we seem to target three or four ..or maybe only two ...top rated RBs that the entire world is after..... and then go down to the very end of the recruiting process hoping against hope that we can get one of them and.... then have to make a last minute offer to beat out some  group of five school and fill the slot. . . 

I'm kind of a "bird in the hand..."  type guy and from what we see every Saturday, there are dozens of good running backs who could play at AU....and yet wind up at lesser schools.   Hoping we will do a better analysis of the available talent...skill and interest.... and improve our  hit rate.  

Now last year we hit on two of our top targets:   Asa and Shivers, and also picked up Harold Joiner.    I was surprised to be honest...Shivers was an Auburn top target, but not everyone's.   Your point is spot on.

I agree - we need to cast a much larger net, every year and I wish we would try just one time ( I know it is a 2-3 yr cycle), but recruit outside our norms.  Our name, our conference, it resonates.  I bet if we scatter-shot Texas and Cali, we would connect every other year.   It's a low-yield endeavor, but "nothing ventured,  nothing gained,"   to quote the great Garth Brooks.

11 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I agree.  I hope it does not happen but this board will be in meltdown mode if MAR goes to UGA with Kenny McIntosh and GA Tech pulls Griffin because we slow played him.

I don'y know if slow playing JG will ultimately be a factor. He has a brother & GT & his other bro is thinking about transferring from VT to GT. If that happens GT was going to be hard to beat no matter what. The siblings want to go to the same school. Also don't sleep on Miami with MAR. They have an OV left & are pushing.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Now last year we hit on two of our top targets:   Asa and Shivers

Asa wasn't a top target til a bit before we took him FTR.

40 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Now last year we hit on two of our top targets:   Asa and Shivers, and also picked up Harold Joiner.    I was surprised to be honest...Shivers was an Auburn top target, but not everyone's.   Your point is spot on.

Shivers is the kind of  situation I was thinking.....not competing against the Big Ten and ACC along with other SEC schools.....and let the guy know you want him.  Like the Henderson kid at Memphis with almost 2000 yards if you saw him play you wonder how he ended up there.  A couple dozen RBs with 1300+ yards last year and between 225 and 300 carries for the season.

I'm not convinced that our RB candidates are worried they might have to carry the ball too much.  What I see in the interviews, all young RBs want to be the "man" …..not some part-time running back. 

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What I see in the interviews, all young RBs want to be the "man" …..not some part-time running back. 

Not sure what interviews you are watching. Most want to share the load in college to prolong their NFL shelf life.

Didn't know he had a brother at Tech. It makes a little more sense now, can't blame him if he wants to play with him. I was wondering how in the hell tech could beat us out and why he didn't just stay with NC St they're better than Tech.

JMO but any HS prospect who is worrying about saving himself for the NFL needs to go somewhere else.    

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but any HS prospect who is worrying about saving himself for the NFL needs to go somewhere else.    

Just look at the commit lists for most major schools. Most are signing 2 a year because of the wear & tear & because most kids are open to sharing carries. Nothing wrong with it.

Just now, ellitor said:

Just look at the commit lists for most major schools. Most are signing 2 a year because of the wear & tear & because most kids are open to sharing carries. Nothing wrong with it.

As a Saint fan of 40 years, I have never seen a game that was so screwed up by poor officiating. Not only was the blantened pass interference call missed, there was another missed call just as bad earlier in the game that the commentator made note of. I would not let that officiating crew call a pee wee league football game.  I think there should be at least 10,000 Saints fans ready to descend on the dome in Atlanta and block all of the entrances so that no one can go in before the Super Bowl starts. I would not be surprised in the least if the rams and the refs were involved in money with the refs getting a lot $$$$$$$$ to purposely miss enough calls to enable the rams to win that game. 

I do not like the Patriots, but hope they beat the crap out of the rams to the tune of 45-3. The Doc has spoken and the score will be 45-3 Pats. If I get this one right, I will open my betting business with all of the profits going to the Salvation Army for homeless folks.

8 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

As a Saint fan of 40 years, I have never seen a game that was so screwed up by poor officiating. Not only was the blantened pass interference call missed, there was another missed call just as bad earlier in the game that the commentator made note of. I would not let that officiating crew call a pee wee league football game.  I think there should be at least 10,000 Saints fans ready to descend on the dome in Atlanta and block all of the entrances so that no one can go in before the Super Bowl starts. I would not be surprised in the least if the rams and the refs were involved in money with the refs getting a lot $$$$$$$$ to purposely miss enough calls to enable the rams to win that game. 

I do not like the Patriots, but hope they beat the crap out of the rams to the tune of 45-3. The Doc has spoken and the score will be 45-3 Pats. If I get this one right, I will open my betting business with all of the profits going to the Salvation Army for homeless folks.

I'm done with last weekend. I'm not going to talk about it nor watch the Super Bowl. I can't stand the Patsies & while I have nothing against the Rams that should be us there so I really DGAC who wins.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm done with last weekend. I'm not going to talk about it nor watch the Super Bowl. I can't stand the Patsies & while I have nothing against the Rams that should be us there so I really DGAC who wins.

I just needed to vent a bit. That game was a hard pill to swallow no doubt. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think more have Heisman asperarations. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

that and winning a championship of some kind. 

of the first 175 drafted players only 12 were running backs out of probably a couple hundred who were eligible to be drafted.    Granted some HS kids are impressionable and easily misled by coaches but any kid who is thinking NFL when he has not played his first down if college ball is ....well, I was gonna say stupid.....but whatever.    And any coach who lets himself be successfully negatively recruited on that issue should be ashamed of himself.  JMO

5 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It sucks that we dont get stacked with RBs like some of these other schools have....i think it directly ties to Gus' use of Rbs and running our Primary into the ground....maybe this past season will help since we used more of a committee approach

I think it's safe to say AU is no longer "running back U". 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

It would be nice but most want to make & have a career in the NFL more.

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

that and winning a championship of some kind. 

of the first 175 drafted players only 12 were running backs out of probably a couple hundred who were eligible to be drafted.    Granted some HS kids are impressionable and easily misled by coaches but any kid who is thinking NFL when he has not played his first down if college ball is ....well, I was gonna say stupid.....but whatever.    And any coach who lets himself be successfully negatively recruited on that issue should be ashamed of himself.  JMO

Regardless of those statistics most still dream of making it.

18 minutes ago, SouthGATiger said:

I think it's safe to say AU is no longer "running back U". 

As long as you have Bo Jackson from your college you never lose the monicur even if you go through periods of not living up to it.

6 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I won't go into meltdown mode. Getting MAR would be nice but beyond that I'd rather use the scholarship at some position that isn't already six deep. We'll have plenty of RB talent for the coaches to work with even if we're done signing at RB this cycle. Whitlow and Shivers can both tote 25-plus carries a game if needed. K-mart is good for 10+ carries as a change of pace. Some teams would have K-Mart as their #1. Joiner has a chance, he's got the physical tools as does the signee Williams. Miller's a little slow but he can pull some spot duty, as evidenced last season. It looks to me like we have every probability of already having three every down backs if not more.

PS: I don't agree that we NEED three every down backs, but since that's what everyone seems to be worried about relax, we've already got 'em.

20 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You keep saying 6 RB's. AU will have two that are the every down RB that Gus needs to be successful. Bobbie and now Williams. Need to add a 3rd RB like these two so at the end of the year we will have at least one healthy RB. This has been a problem the last 4 years. This isn't hard. The others will have their niche in this offense but everyone including you knows what I mean about having a every down back. 

You have to think it through. It's at a point Mikey isn't ever going to agree. It's not that he doesn't understand but he said things in the past and he has to double down on them. 

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

As long as you have Bo Jackson from your college you never lose the monicur even if you go through periods of not living up to it.

This isn’t true. We’ve lost it.   Besides, Georgia has Herschel Walker, Knowshon, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Gurley, and other alumni and actually recruit like RBU. 

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This isn’t true. We’ve lost it.   Besides, Georgia has Herschel Walker, Knowshon, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Gurley, and other alumni and actually recruit like RBU. 

Agree to disagree

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I won't go into meltdown mode. Getting MAR would be nice but beyond that I'd rather use the scholarship at some position that isn't already six deep. We'll have plenty of RB talent for the coaches to work with even if we're done signing at RB this cycle. Whitlow and Shivers can both tote 25-plus carries a game if needed. K-mart is good for 10+ carries as a change of pace. Some teams would have K-Mart as their #1. Joiner has a chance, he's got the physical tools as does the signee Williams. Miller's a little slow but he can pull some spot duty, as evidenced last season. It looks to me like we have every probability of already having three every down backs if not more.

PS: I don't agree that we NEED three every down backs, but since that's what everyone seems to be worried about relax, we've already got 'em.

Who in the SEC would have K-Mart as the #1 back? Name one? AU tried it last year and it didn't work. K-Mart is a 5 - 10 carry per game back change of pace back. Not a knock on him but that is what he is.

Miller isn't a SEC back either and saying he is because of mop up duty and forced into action because the other RB's were hurt also doesn't help you cuase here. 

Shivers? Has the heart and skill. But he is small. Can he take the beating day in and day out in the SEC? Maybe? If you are Gus and your job is on the line do you chance he can? 

Boobie? Yeah he can be the guy. But his running style can be a problem. He is a very physical runner. Has to learn when to and when not to take on the hits. 

Williams? He isn't even on campus. Has the tools. But is a unknown. 

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Who in the SEC would have K-Mart as the #1 back? Name one? AU tried it last year and it didn't work. K-Mart is a 5 - 10 carry per game back change of pace back. Not a knock on him but that is what he is.

Miller isn't a SEC back either and saying he is because of mop up duty and forced into action because the other RB's were hurt also doesn't help you cuase here. 

Shivers? Has the heart and skill. But he is small. Can he take the beating day in and day out in the SEC? Maybe? If you are Gus and your job is on the line do you chance he can? 

Boobie? Yeah he can be the guy. But his running style can be a problem. He is a very physical runner. Has to learn when to and when not to take on the hits. 

Williams? He isn't even on campus. Has the tools. But is a unknown. 

There's also a good chance that Shivers is relegated to the OMac/Grant role. Which would be fine. Those guys were huge factors in extremely potent offenses. 

I do have hope for Miller. I think he could be another Peyton Barber. 

It's clear that, whether or not KMart can be a #1 back, it's not going to happen here.

Unless Joey wins QB1 and is a 100+ carry guy, we're going to need 2 legit every-down backs, and if we need 2 legit every-down backs on the field over the course of the season, then we need at least 3 legit every-down backs on the roster. 

Archived